Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: 2 Ebola patients returning to U.S.

visionary

So they say that the estimated number of cases will be 550,000 in January 2015 and doubles every 20 days.

If we assume a doubling rate of 1 month and that it is maintained, then the entire world population will become infected within 14 months.

So they say that the estimated number of cases will be 550,000 in January 2015 and doubles every 20 days.

If we assume a doubling rate of 1 month and that it is maintained, then the entire world population will become infected within 14 months.

Yeah, I suppose if you applied that model to the world and excluded other factors.

Here's to hoping our troops and everyone else working on infrastructure can build the number of Ebola Treatment Units necessary to treat the 70% of Ebola cases needed to stop the outbreak...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/27/world/africa/after-ebola-outbreak-obama-calls-for-global-effort-to-help-prevent-epidemics.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimesworld&_r=0

After Ebola Outbreak, Obama Calls for Global Effort to Help Prevent Epidemics

President Obama on Friday called on nations around the world to develop more effective health care systems to prevent deadly outbreaks like the Ebola virus that is rapidly spreading across West Africa.

“Each time the world scrambles to coordinate a response, each time it’s been harder than it should be to share information and contain the outbreak,” Mr. Obama told health ministers from more than 40 nations who had gathered at the White House for a global health security summit meeting. “It is unacceptable if, because of lack of preparedness and planning and global preparation, people are dying.”

Mr. Obama’s remarks were the centerpiece of a daylong meeting the White House organized in February, before the current Ebola outbreak. Mr. Obama’s aides said the goal was to persuade other countries to treat biological threats — whether manufactured or natural — as national security issues that need to be prevented or contained.

American officials announced that participants in the summit meeting had agreed to work collaboratively during the next five years to improve the capacity to detect diseases early, diagnose them quickly and respond to their spread. Countries that have more advanced health systems will work with countries that need assistance in building up more capacity, Mr. Obama said.

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/09/28/us-doctor-exposed-to-ebola-virus-admitted-to-nih/20968853/

US doctor exposed to Ebola virus admitted to NIH

An American doctor who was exposed to the Ebola virus while volunteering in Sierra Leone was admitted Sunday to a hospital at the National Institutes of Health near the nation's capital.

The patient, who was not identified, arrived at NIH's Clinical Center about 4 p.m., NIH said in a statement on its website.

NIH said that out of "an abundance of caution," the physician was admitted to a special isolation unit. NIH infectious disease chief Dr. Anthony Fauci wouldn't discuss details about the patient but said that in general, an exposure to Ebola doesn't necessarily mean someone will become sick.

"When someone is exposed, you want to put them into the best possible situation so if something happens you can take care of them," Fauci said.

"NIH is taking every precaution to ensure the safety of our patients, NIH staff and the public," the agency said in a statement.

Four other American aid workers who were sickened by Ebola while volunteering in the West African outbreak have been treated at hospitals in Georgia and Nebraska. One remains hospitalized while the others have recovered.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/health/Case-of-Ebola-Confirmed-in-the-US-CDC-277648611.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DFWBrand

Case of Ebola Confirmed in Dallas: CDC

The CDC will host a briefing on the country's first Ebola case at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon from their headquarters in Atlanta. At 5:30 p.m., a news conference will be held at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas.

The first case of the Ebola virus has been diagnosed in the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed Tuesday.

North Texas Patient Tested for Ebola Virus

A spokesperson for Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital of Dallas confirmed Tuesday afternoon the case involves a patient who was undergoing evaluation and tests for Ebola at their hospital.

The patient was being tested at the Dallas hospital based on symptoms and recent travel history.

https://twitter.com/mpoppel

There's no public health emergency from a single Ebola case, only media's alarmist coverage would make you believe so

4:57 PM

Ebola: Embargoes give journalists time to prepare well-informed articles instead of alarmist breaking headlines until a story is ready.

5:08 PM

CDC confirmation of the first U.S. case of MERS was also under an embargo 

5:09 PM

This was inevitable.  I'm sure it won't be the last case, either.  For weeks ERs have been getting regular infection control updates from the CDC and are pretty well equipped to diagnose and deal with this.

The risk of outbreak in the US is still extremely low...but undoubtedly there are going to be people who panic.

By the way, is anyone surprised the first case of Ebola occured in Dallas?  

While I will confess to an amount of glee whenever anything bad happens to Texas, (family from Oklahoma, Kinda Sooner fan, Redskins fan), I confess that I don;t have any reason why I should have assumed such would be the case. 

If you had asked me, I would have predicted that it would be someone newly arrived in New York.  Probably a stereotype, but I imagine New York as the great portal through which most people enter the country.  (At least from across the ocean.  If Ebola were rampant in Mexico, then I would expect it to show up in a state which borders with them.) 

While I will confess to an amount of glee whenever anything bad happens to Texas, (family from Oklahoma, Kinda Sooner fan, Redskins fan), I confess that I don;t have any reason why I should have assumed such would be the case. 

If you had asked me, I would have predicted that it would be someone newly arrived in New York.  Probably a stereotype, but I imagine New York as the great portal through which most people enter the country.  (At least from across the ocean.  If Ebola were rampant in Mexico, then I would expect it to show up in a state which borders with them.) 

I was being a smartass.  Like, of course, Ebola is going to make its historic US appearance in the city where the Cowboys play.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ce39cccd6c534487ba2640e94def757c/us-ebola-labs-parts-clinic-arrive-liberia

US Ebola labs, health equipment arrive in Liberia

American mobile Ebola labs should be up and running in Liberia this week, and U.S. troops have broken ground for a field hospital, as the international community races to increase the ability to care for the spiraling number of people infected with the disease.

Ebola is believed to have sickened more than 6,500 people in West Africa, with the vast majority of the cases in Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone, and on Tuesday health officials announced the first confirmed case of the disease in the United States. More than 3,000 deaths have been linked to the disease, according to the World Health Organization.

But even those tolls are likely underestimates, partially because there aren't enough labs to test people for Ebola. The numbers for Liberia, in particular, have lagged behind reality because it takes so long to get test results, WHO has warned.

Nigeria has also recorded some cases, and Senegal had one; in both cases, a sick traveler imported the disease. Both countries moved quickly to isolate the sick and trace anyone who had contact with them, and neither country has had a new case for weeks.

"It's reasonable to assume there will be no more transmission in those countries," Steve Monroe, deputy director of the National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, told reporters Tuesday.

Any American patients with Ebola are being treated using special precautions.

One of the main reasons the virus has killed so many people in West Africa is because healthcare infrastructure in the region is extremely limited, meaning that hospitals — where they even exist — are understaffed and don't have the same technology as those in the United States. That means the monitoring and isolation techniques that are relatively routine in many modern hospitals often can't be implemented.

That being said, the Ebola outbreak in West Africa is cause for international concern. Places like Liberia don't have the healthcare systems and monitoring of the CDC that we do, and their government has all but broken down. Things aren't looking good there, but even as the virus spills over national borders, it's not likely to take root in the US.

What's really interesting in all this is the panic Ebola causes when the seasonal flu causes many more deaths. I guess the high mortality rate might contribute, but honestly in the US it won't be nearly as high. Most deaths from Ebola come from severe dehydration. Access to simple IV fluids would change the outcome for many.

What's really interesting in all this is the panic Ebola causes when the seasonal flu causes many more deaths. I guess the high mortality rate might contribute, but honestly in the US it won't be nearly as high. Most deaths from Ebola come from severe dehydration. Access to simple IV fluids would change the outcome for many.

I wouldn't take it too lightly, the flu is also not as contained....and both can mutate.

then again we are much better prepared to quarantine areas if the need arises  :ph34r:

Pretty sure most deaths are from internal bleeding and hemorrhaging.

Pretty sure most deaths are from internal bleeding and hemorrhaging.

Not really. While that is a part of losing body fluids, it's the dehydration itself that kills most. The lack of fluids makes it impossible for the immune system to respond and the virus is able to explode unchecked. If fluids can be replaced it allows the immune system to have a chance to fight it off.

Not really. While that is a part of losing body fluids, it's the dehydration itself that kills most. The lack of fluids makes it impossible for the immune system to respond and the virus is able to explode unchecked. If fluids can be replaced it allows the immune system to have a chance to fight it off.

The immune system can and does respond, it is the very response that kills you.  Ebola invades the body and by the time it is detected as a threat, your immune system only has once choice, all out attack mode and this attack mode ends up killing the host via massive internal bleeding and hypotensive shock and/or low blood pressure.

The virus itself technically doesn't even kill you, it forces your immune system to kill you.

The immune system can and does respond, it is the very response that kills you.  Ebola invades the body and by the time it is detected as a threat, your immune system only has once choice, all out attack mode and this attack mode ends up killing the host via massive internal bleeding and hypotensive shock and/or low blood pressure.

The virus itself technically doesn't even kill you, it forces your immune system to kill you.

Not sure where you got this at. Massive diarrhea leads to severe dehydration which then sets you up for death. If fluids can be administered in a timely manner it greatly effects the prognosis. If you are in a first world country and fluid intervention is administered in a timely manner you have a pretty good chance of surviving if you are otherwise healthy. If you are in a third world country and lose the massive amounts of fluid this disease causes you to lose with no replenishment you have a death sentence.

Archived