Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR: What We've Learned About Washington Redskins After the Start of Free Agency

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1990185-what-weve-learned-about-washington-redskins-after-the-start-of-free-agency

The cliff notes version:

Notorious for investing heavily in top free agents, Washington owner Daniel Snyder resisted the primal urge to spend that landed him free-agent busts like Albert Haynesworth in the past.

Is this a signal that Snyder is letting general manager Bruce Allen call the shots? Or did top free agents simply not consider Washington as a potential landing spot?

With the addition of Andre Roberts and Adam Hayward, it's clear that the Redskins sought free agents capable of being two-way players that could help a special teams unit that was one of the worst in the NFL last season.

Signed to a four-year, $16 million deal, according to USA Today (via Associated Press), it's clear that Roberts was mainly brought aboard for his receiving skills. Playing next to Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd, he accumulated 107 catches and seven touchdowns the past two seasons.

But Roberts also is a solid special teams player. While he hasn't been really utilized as return man in recent seasons, he'd be an option for a return unit that was last in yards per kickoff return in 2013...

Formerly a backup player for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with only 13 career starts, Hayward's seven-year NFL career can be attributed to his special teams prowess.

For a team that had the worst punt-coverage unit in the league last season, a player of Hayward's background is key to turning around Washington's special teams woes.

Through the use of the franchise tag on Brian Orakpo, to the re-signings of DeAngelo Hall and Perry Riley, according to Mike Jones of the Washington Post, the Redskins prioritized keeping their top free agents.

By not making the splash in free agency that has been customary in the past, the Redskins could very well be carving out cap space to spend on extensions for players like Ryan Kerrigan and Alfred Morris in 2015.

A 2014 crop of free agents that Chris Wesseling and Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com said only featured one true difference-maker, Jairus Byrd, the Redskins aren't missing out on much by undertaking this route.

With a 2015 free-agent class currently set to include players like Ndamukong Suh, Joe Haden and J.J. Watt, according to Spotrac.com, the 'Skins could be hoarding cap space to make a play on one of these marquee players next offseason.

With Garcon, Moss, Robinson, Roberts and a recovering Leonard Hankerson under contract for next season, there's a logjam at receiver.

While the 'Skins could still seek out a big possession receiver to fill out their depth chart in the draft, it's hard to fathom any rookie receiver making a large impact next season.

A group of receivers capable of playing in the slot and on the outside, Griffin won't have to complain about Washington's offense being predictable next season. 

By basically sticking with the status quo, this could be a clear indication that head coach Jay Gruden believes that an improved Griffin is the key to improving on the team's 16th-ranked passing attack from a season ago.

Despite the likes of Brandon Meriweather, Reed Doughty, and Josh Wilson entering free agency, the Redskins did little to address the starting spots these players vacated.

One possible reason for this course of action could be Washington's belief that it has in-house replacements for these players.

In safety Phillip Thomas and cornerback David Amerson, the Redskins have two young players who could fill two of the vacancies.

Still, if the trio of secondary free agents does indeed bolt for other teams, Washington will have to look to the draft to bolster its depth chart.

A draft deep in cornerbacks, it's likely that a top corner will be available when the Redskins pick atop the second round. According to CBSSports.com, 16 cornerbacks could be drafted in the draft's first three rounds.

Safety, though, is a different story.

With a 2015 free-agent class currently set to include players like Ndamukong Suh, Joe Haden and J.J. Watt, according to Spotrac.com, the 'Skins could be hoarding cap space to make a play on one of these marquee players next offseason.

If our plan was truly to save cap space for a few guys who will undoubtedly by franchise-tagged, then we would be in some serious trouble.

lol JJ Watt would probably be worth a Fat Albert contract but Houston will never let him go. They probably let go of Mario Williams knowing that Watt would become their big money pass rusher.

As for Suh and Haden, neither will be worth the price. (Suh isn't even a 3-4, wtf?)

Actually I agree with BR.  It actually implies that we have a more distant plan than just next season.  I think that Robert will return better next season, and that will cause an improvement in not only our O, but our D as well.  The team fed off of Robert's energy in '12, why not a return to that in '14?  I agree if this is Grudens philosophy.....make Robert better and make the team better by proxy. 

Maybe we are finally playing a long term game here....vice short term gratification that gets most excited at first, and generates headlines, but fails to satisfy at the end of the day. 

If we are indeed saving cap space, I would be more concerned with our own FA's that we need to retain vice other FA's that want to be paid.  I was glad that we have re-signed Rak, Riley, Moss and others.....as we hopefully draft and develop additional talent.

You know for all the bashing we take for being the big free agent spenders ( rightfully deserved for the years past), it bothers me that we continually here about us as kings of free agents when lets be honest, we have not spent big in free agency for a long time.  It boggles my mind that teams such as the perennial pathetic Bucaneers, who have been huge in free agency for the last three years and once again are offseason kings, get no attention for their reckless spending, perennial losing, offseason champs.   Why are we still the only team recognized when clearly since shanahan and allen took over 5 years ago, we have not been big spenders in free agency, and that trend is obviously being continued by Allen who took over sole control. 

BUCS are the old REDSKINS!!!

You know for all the bashing we take for being the big free agent spenders ( rightfully deserved for the years past), it bothers me that we continually here about us as kings of free agents when lets be honest, we have not spent big in free agency for a long time.  It boggles my mind that teams such as the perennial pathetic Bucaneers, who have been huge in free agency for the last three years and once again are offseason kings, get no attention for their reckless spending, perennial losing, offseason champs.   Why are we still the only team recognized when clearly since shanahan and allen took over 5 years ago, we have not been big spenders in free agency, and that trend is obviously being continued by Allen who took over sole control. 

It takes a long time to get people outside of their base of knowledge to understand things have changed. I live in Chicago right now and I just had an infuriating conversation with a group of Chicagoans that are convinced DC is on the same level as Detroit as far as poverty and crime. None of them had ever lived in either city, only a few had visited DC, and for the most part they visited a decade ago. I tried to explained that things have changed and that it is safer than Detroit. None of them would believe me. You just can't convince some people, not matter how long it's been since things have changed.

Eh. The 1999 Redskins didn't play in the SB or have Peyton Manning & a rack off offensive weapons...

True. They didn't play in a Superbowl that year. They were 1 muffed FG Snap away from appearing in the NFCC though, with Brad Johnson, who did win a SB a few years after that.

I think the trophy goes to the Cowboys, who somehow manage to spend big but still lose all their players. At least Albert Haynesworth played a few snaps.

We may be holding cash back for next offseason, but there's no way the Texans let JJ Watt out of Houston. Also why would we want Suh? He's going to be overpriced and wouldn't be a good fit in the 3-4. Joe Haden could be one exception. However I'm hoping Amerson, Hall, and Crawford all prove their worth this season so we don't need a cornerback next year.

Hit the nail on the head that it's because we need to keep our in-house guys paid and happy.

We may be holding cash back for next offseason, but there's no way the Texans let JJ Watt out of Houston. Also why would we want Suh? He's going to be overpriced and wouldn't be a good fit in the 3-4. Joe Haden could be one exception. However I'm hoping Amerson, Hall, and Crawford all prove their worth this season so we don't need a cornerback next year.

Hit the nail on the head that it's because we need to keep our in-house guys paid and happy.

Agree that Houston is not gonna get rid of watt. He is the face of the team down here.

So it's okay to throw money at high priced guys next offseason?

What changes next season? Well, presumably be coming off of another ****ty season and be more than "one player away"

Yeah, if we field the same crappy, largely talentless team in 2014, I doubt that we'll be in the position to justify blowing all of our money on massive contracts in 2015.

We had a number of chances to acquire solid talent at a fair price already. Let's hope we take a shot at what's left.

It is a bit of a puff piece but there are some good points made

That said, with Allen's track record, anyone who thinks we are saving money to go after the likes of Suh or Watt next year is not thinking it through.

The article also completely glossed over the help we need in our secondary. If we are indeed relying on filling our needs with the draft, Thomas, and Amerson, God help us all

People are also forgetting we will have to pay RG3, Trent and Kerrigan at some point too. Plus probably Morris and Garcon.

Seems like the FO is more concerned about keeping their own instead of bringing in other teams castoffs. I like it. Reward your guys and more people will want to come here. Not for the payday, but for the loyalty.

What I've learned about the Washington Redskins free agency is that Darren Sproles has been traded to Philadelphia. That tells me we are not going to win the division so why spend another freaking dime!!!

WTF is the Redskins thinking?

Well I'll tell you what, If they don't sure up that defense, many **** cans of whoop ass will be opened on Sunday and poured on the Redskins. Phil may score a hundred on us.

**** 'em

Archived