Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Souring your life: WHO cuts recommended sugar consumption in half

Burgold

How much sugar do you think you take in each day?  I don't think I really want to know.  I don't add sweeteners to my drinks or use them in my cooking, but I know that it's in my ketchup, frozen foods, and hidden in all sorts of unexpected places.

Remember the old commercial about how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop? Well, if a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, how many spoonfuls get us sick?

The World Health Organization announced Feb. 24 they are cutting in half their recommendation for sugar consumption down to five teaspoons a day. For you soda addicts, that's about half a can's worth.

Read more: http://voiceofrussia.com/us/2014_02_27/Souring-your-life-WHO-cuts-recommended-sugar-consumption-in-half-3743/

I'm sure it's more than I need and in some unexpected places.  The one place I make a conscious effort not to have any is my pasta sauce.  Read the labels, almost all of the sauces in the store have high fructose corn syrup.  I went through and found a few without it that I like and that's all I'll buy now.

Back in the caveman days, sugar, salt and fat were all very difficult to come by, and all three were vital to our survival.   As a result, our bodies are hardwired to crave all three of those things.  

Now, all three are extremely easy to come by, but we naturally still crave them, and we eat about 5 times more than we need.   And it is killing us.  I'm in front of the line - I have zero self control.        

Come on guys. Making your own pasta sauce is easy, healthy, better tasting, and freezes great

I'll second that sentiment.  I'm no foodie so my taste buds aren't discriminating, but hard to really mess up a pasta sauce.  I use canned tomato and paste (bionnaire has them without BPA lining, which my wife insists on), lots of onions and mushroom, oregano and basil (sometimes fresh, sometimes dried, depending on what I have), minced garlic, whatever meat tickles my fancy at the time, salt and pepper to taste.  I cook down the meat, onion, garlic, mushroom first, then add tomato and paste with herbs and spice and let it cook.  

Another thing that I found is much better than store bought is homemade ice cream.  All it takes are the basic ingredients and it's a lot healthier and tastier than the store bought stuff.  Fun weekend activity with the kids.

I've been trending toward borderline diabetic recently, it seems (genetic reasons, mostly) so I've been paying close attention to labels the last few months.  When you start reading labels, you see that a lot of foods you might think are healthy choices have lots of sugar added.   It's insane.  The greek yogurt I was eating, for a healthier lunch item than chips or whatever, has like 28g of sugar (or about 2/3 of what's in a can of soda)

I shudder to think how much sugar my kids are taking in, between all the mlik, juice, and snacks

what is your recipe ?    (and pot?  or crockpot?)

We use this recipe: http://underthetuscangun.com/food/pasta/01-red-sauce-spaghetti-and-prosciutto-rolls-appetizer/, which is about as easy as you can get, very tasty, and the sweetness comes from onions, so unless there's sugar in your tomatoes, the sugar isn't really a problem. We use canned san marzano tomatoes from Costco.

Pull the pasta about a minute before you like it, and cook it for the last minute in the sauce for bonus points.

MUCH better than anything store bought I've tried, very versatile (you can add meat or mushrooms or whatever for variety), and takes like 15 minutes to make.

Is salt still considered bad for you? I remember reading a bunch of articles last year claiming studies failed to link a low sodium diet with health benefits. It's hard to believe anything these days because scientists seem perfectly willing to whore themselves out to whatever industry needs a favorable study.

Is salt still considered bad for you? I remember reading a bunch of articles last year claiming studies failed to link a low sodium diet with health benefits. It's hard to believe anything these days because scientists seem perfectly will to whore themselves out to whatever industry needs a favorable study and is willing to pay for it.

As I understand it, lots of salt is bad for you IF you have hypertension already.  For the rest of us, it is not significant.  

Other studies suggest that the real key for people who don't already have hypertension is to eat more potassium than sodium.  

I have a terrible sweet tooth so I try to stay away from sugar as much as I possibly can. 

One of those jello pudding cups is a good way to cheat. Don't drink soda ever, just water. Tend to avoid bread. Mostly try to stick to proteins and veggies. I like to think that my typical sugar intake isn't terrible. Sodium is a tricky one to keep down too. 

I've been trending toward borderline diabetic recently, it seems (genetic reasons, mostly) so I've been paying close attention to labels the last few months.  When you start reading labels, you see that a lot of foods you might think are healthy choices have lots of sugar added.   It's insane.  The greek yogurt I was eating, for a healthier lunch item than chips or whatever, has like 28g of sugar (or about 2/3 of what's in a can of soda)

I shudder to think how much sugar my kids are taking in, between all the mlik, juice, and snacks

The difference between yogurt and soda sugars is that the yogurt sugar is natural occurring sugar for the most part whereas soda is corn fructose which is much worse. So even though it has more sugar, yogurt is still better than soda or chips.

Still, I'd switch to a different yogurt. 28g of sugar is 3.5 teaspoons.and for a serving of greek yogurt that is too much. I tend to avoid dairy because my digestion isn't the biggest fan, except for cottage cheese. But as far as yogurt greek is supposed to be the healthiest and I know there are ones out there with lower sugar. Fruit yogurts add more sugar though. Look for non-fat. It should have just 6-10g of sugar and 15+g protein which is awesome.

To make yogurt yourself, just put a tablespoon of yogurt in a quart of unpasteurized cream or whole milk.

Tomato sauce is as easy as adding some italian herbs to tomato puree. Throw it in a blender, with some tomato paste for a minute. It's really that easy. You can do more, like cooking it with some veggies and I will usually do that, but if you just want to get it done, this is an easy way. You can just whisk the paste into the sauce on the stove too. Heck, you don't even need to add it. I would add a little sugar to neutralize the acidity of the tomatoes though.

What are some good sauces, China?  I genearlly buy based on sales, but I do like healthier products that taste good. 

Typically I'll buy Classico Tomato and Basil as it has no sugar.  However, other sauces by the same company have sugar (e.g., it's no surprise that their Sweet Basil sauce has sugar).

Typically I use the jar sauce as a base and add what I want to it, other spices, mushrooms, etc.  Yes, tomato sauce is easty to make.  One simple one I like is just sauteed diced tomatoes with tarragon and garlic.  I don't have enough room in my freezer to store sauce, so for me it's a matter of time.  Many times I don't have much time from when I pick up my kid at daycare and when I have to take them to a lesson.

What are some good sauces, China? I genearlly buy based on sales, but I do like healthier products that taste good.

I'm not sure how widely available it is, but Mezzetta's sauces are only between 3 to 6g per serving. Every so often it goes on sale and I buy a few jars. I do make my own sauce when I make dinner, but often when I am rushed for a quick Saturday lunch, I'll throw that over some Dreamfields pasta.

I'm not sure how widely available it is, but Mezzetta's sauces are only between 3 to 6g per serving. Every so often it goes on sale and I buy a few jars. I do make my own sauce when I make dinner, but often when I am rushed for a quick Saturday lunch, I'll throw that over some Dreamfields pasta.

Mezzetta's homemade style Marinara is the best jarred sauce you can buy and tastes like homemade sauce.  It has no added sugar.  It has 3g sugar per serving.

Archived