Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

• 3 months later...

The good thing about being local is that you get every redskins game because it's required by law. So I hook up my antenna and try to watch. But recently I've been getting interference and static and poor signals again. On a clear sunny day. I don't understand.

Nothing more irritating than trying to watch football and the TV signal won't come in. So I have to waste time moving the antenna around trying to get a clear picture for one network which doesn't even work for another. So when I change the channel I have to change antenna position. And so on. It's really annoying.

I live basically five miles from DC so there is no logical reason why reception is so poor.

Has anyone used the Roku 2 for their streaming needs?

I'm thinking of getting it, and since I have HBO Go, Netflix, Amazon Video and can easily add Hulu. I'm thinking of getting the Roku 2 for one room and seeing whether buying a couple more and dropping Verizon TV is reasonable.

Also, I'm sure this has been asked multiple times in this thread but forgive me for not backtracking, how are any of you watching sports?

Has anyone used the Roku 2 for their streaming needs?

I'm thinking of getting it, and since I have HBO Go, Netflix, Amazon Video and can easily add Hulu. I'm thinking of getting the Roku 2 for one room and seeing whether buying a couple more and dropping Verizon TV is reasonable.

Also, I'm sure this has been asked multiple times in this thread but forgive me for not backtracking, how are any of you watching sports?

I have a Roku Streaming Stick, it works pretty good.  I had one of the older models, I think the Roku XS (can't remember if it was a I or II), but it came with a gaming controller for app based games.  I had issues with the wifi signal with it.  When it was upstairs in my bonus room, it couldn't even hold a signal long enough to upgrade to the newest software version.

Granted, my internet was downstairs (before I had internet both up and downstairs) and only one device has successfully connected to it with a near perfect signal strength (Apple TV).  So I moved the Roku downstairs in the living room and it was still getting a week signal and the modem was in the next room.  It never seemed to stream in HD, only SD.  So I took it back and exchanged it for another Apple TV.

Back when all this went down, I later did some research and read that they took a long time to buffer and to allow up to 5 mins or so before it started streaming in HD.  

Move forward 3-4 years, my dad bought me a Roku Streaming Stick last Christmas.  It works really well, a lot better than the previous device I owned.  If the internet connection is slow and the wifi signal is weak, it has issues.  I've used it with two internet connections at home.  

In my bonus room, I have Windstream DSL, only get 12mb down/1mb up - works perfect up there since the modem is in the same room.  In the garage (which is below the bonus room), it gets a perfect connection to the DSL as well.  

In my living room, with my TWC internet connection in the office beside it (30mb down/5mb up) it works fine too.  No issues.  

Took it to the beach, not sure what the internet connection was as far as DSL/Cable but it was pretty weak.  Through the PS4, we had zero issues streaming on Netflix, Vudu, Amazon, etc.  On the Roku, I had some issues during the day, but not at night.  I have no idea where the modem was located, we never saw it, but I'm willing to bet it was a ****ty connection there with poor wifi as we did have some lag issues with other devices (lap tops, phones, etc.).

I'd recommend the Roku Streaming Stick, especially if it will be used close to a modem or you have a great connection and wifi signals.  I'd recommend that you try it out, just keep the receipt, and if it doesn't work, take it back.  Wal-Mart sells them (or used to) and they have an easy return policy.

Plus the stick is only $49, so if it works, it would save you money trying to buy multiple ones for multiple TVs.

Edited by Dont Taze Me Bro
  • Like 1

Meh, it varies. I have no interruptions but the quality varies from SD to HD. I'm not an HD whore so I don't really care.

In other news:

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/showtime-takes-hbo-now-standalone-streaming-service-n369236

****ing awesome. Even less of a reason to give Comcast or big cable companies $$. 

What? You don't need to see every droplet of sweat coming off Tom Brady? 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

If it's not on TV there's just too much of a hassle to find a working online link. Reddit can be useful but a lot of the links they put up there don't work or are of poor quality. Remember that links can work for a few minutes and crash. I was watching the Caps game (other place ALSO doesn't have cable, just me and my antenna) and I was trying to watch it online in HD, and it worked...for about 20 minutes. Then the stream went down. I didn't feel like sifting through 100 links to find one that worked, most were down...moral of the story, stealing illegal cable streams is unreliable and difficult. Don't bother. 

During Thanksgiving a friend of mine asked me to help set up his Amazon Fire Stick with Kodi. I did so and we added a bunch of grey market addons. if I was amazed at how much sports we were able to pull down live, from across the world.

I'm listening. What are these grey market addons you speak of?

I use reddit to find streaming links to NFL games.

Every game broadcast on Fox has an HD streaming link through the VLC media player. The picture quality is amazing. Primetime games are hosted by a user called 'freecastin' whose streams always run in HD and without any issues. 

Only CBS games are a challenge but that's only 2 every year for the Redskins anyways.

I use reddit to find streaming links to NFL games.

Every game broadcast on Fox has an HD streaming link through the VLC media player. The picture quality is amazing. Primetime games are hosted by a user called 'freecastin' whose streams always run in HD and without any issues.

Only CBS games are a challenge but that's only 2 every year for the Redskins anyways.

The problem is many of those links don't work or are sd. Vlc never works and don't you have to download extra things for acestreams?

The problem is many of those links don't work or are sd. Vlc never works and don't you have to download extra things for acestreams?

VLC works every week for me. You need a download speed of 25 MBPS or more to run the HD links.

I never use acestreams because the Redskins games are always on VLC.

Edited by No Excuses

I had the best promo deal Comcast was offering. Until last week. My bill went from just over $100 to over $230. (3hd boxes, dvr)

Called to get it lowered. They offered something like $160, plus equipment. No thanks.

Called fios. They're coming out Thursday but I'm seriously thinking about cancelling. It's $150 (price includes equipment). Still too much.

Question is, how do I get Internet only for a good price in Germantown MD?

VLC works every week for me. You need a download speed of 25 MBPS or more to run the HD links.

I never use acestreams because the Redskins games are always on VLC.

What? How?

I tried to run vlc on reddit just like you said and when I clicked the link I got a text file. How am I supposed to translate this text file into something I can watch?

I don't know about you but when I'm watching a game I don't want to download any extra programs just to pirate. I could just turn the tv on to csn. Or I could do it your way and search through broken links for the right one.

I don't know about you but when I'm watching a game I don't want to download any extra programs just to pirate. 

That's where I'm at  I figure downloading and installing software from an outfit that is engaging in illegal activities is a recipe for having your computer encrypted and having to pay ransom to get it back.  Or some other unpleasant nonsense.

That's where I'm at I figure downloading and installing software from an outfit that is engaging in illegal activities is a recipe for having your computer encrypted and having to pay ransom to get it back. Or some other unpleasant nonsense.

Yes dude

These illegal streams are shady as ****. First of all let's talk about the websites. Every reddit link has a website or several which have the game. You don't have to download any programs. You just click and watch. The problem is these links are SD or get taken down really fast. And you need an ad blocker. And you need to close the annoying chat. If you can find a working link and stream this way it is the best since it actually works and can be HD until the Link gets taken down.

Now if you're above this peon way to watch you could download vlc or xbmc or some modern program. But as I said you shouldn't have to download anything just to watch a damn game. Now these streams tend to be more reliable and won't go down, at the cost of complexities. Vlc is complicated. Xbmc is complicated. You have to be a Uber geek just to run, install, and set up these applications.I can't even do it and I'm a computer expert. Why should I get a text file instead of video? What's going on here?

I have vlc on my computer. I use it to watch offline video. That's it. I don't know how to configure it online and I sure as **** an not interested in how. They world of Internet streaming is complicated. You have to proxy sometimes to avoid lockouts. You have to use vpn. Sometimes you have to pay for vpn just to stream! That's complicated as ****! If you're going to illegally stream make it easy for the rest of us who don't have s PhD in computers or electrical engineering. Just put it on a ****ing link. That's it.

VLC is not complicated. Open the network stream and its good to go. Kodi plus addons seemed like the easiest.

Addons I saw included Sports Devil, and Phoenix.

Still - my family is enjoying our Sling Tv through the Roku. Simple, you can turn it on and off, but again - not great value because channels are limited... but it has ESPN, Food Network, and HGTV which will cover 95% of what we want to see.

VLC is not complicated. Open the network stream and its good to go. Kodi plus addons seemed like the easiest.

Addons I saw included Sports Devil, and Phoenix.

Still - my family is enjoying our Sling Tv through the Roku. Simple, you can turn it on and off, but again - not great value because channels are limited... but it has ESPN, Food Network, and HGTV which will cover 95% of what we want to see.

Can you explain this in layman's English?

During Thanksgiving a friend of mine asked me to help set up his Amazon Fire Stick with Kodi. I did so and we added a bunch of grey market addons. if I was amazed at how much sports we were able to pull down live, from across the world.

amazon is now offering starz, showtime and a few other channel subscriptions as well ala carte on the firestick ect if ya want more pay channels

addons are interesting to say the least

I like the options and ease of use

What? How?

I tried to run vlc on reddit just like you said and when I clicked the link I got a text file. How am I supposed to translate this text file into something I can watch?

I don't know about you but when I'm watching a game I don't want to download any extra programs just to pirate. I could just turn the tv on to csn. Or I could do it your way and search through broken links for the right one.

You don't click the VLC link.

Copy VLC link -> Open VLC -> File -> Open Network -> Paste the copied link and hit enter -> You have an HD stream of whatever game you wanna watch

Literally takes less than one minute.

• Like 1

You don't click the VLC link.

Copy VLC link -> Open VLC -> File -> Open Network -> Paste the copied link and hit enter -> You have an HD stream of whatever game you wanna watch

Literally takes less than one minute.

sounds difficult

I'm used to just clicking on links