Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things Star Trek

88Comrade2000

The 'Star Trek' Reboot Films Helped 'Discovery' Push The Edge Of Canon

>>>

And as Kurtzman pointed out, the narrative decisions on both the reboot films and Discovery were with good reason - and approved by the many Trek fans working on those projects.

"You can’t make those choices independently." Kurtzman revealed. "You must run them through many, many people – many Trek fans. And we happen to have the benefit of many Trek fans on staff, so every choice is constantly questioned and analyzed. 'What happens if we do this?' and 'What will people think, is this too much of a violation or not?' 'Can we go further or have we gone too far?' Knowing where that line is, is probably what I got from the experience of working on those films."<<<

Sorry Kutzman, Star Trek Discovery isn't Star Trek.

3 hours ago, Destino said:

I'm watching Star Trek Enterprise series on netflix.  It's not bad at all.  I heard it was bad, I can't remember where, but it's refreshing to see Star Trek and not have it be all about war again.  

You're still in the first season. They did it, too. (And I agree with you. I think it's a mistake.)

On 10/15/2017 at 11:20 PM, Destino said:

I'm watching Star Trek Enterprise series on netflix.  It's not bad at all.  I heard it was bad, I can't remember where, but it's refreshing to see Star Trek and not have it be all about war again.  

I didn't like the 3rd season of Enterprise at all, but the 1st and 4th seasons are great.

Edited by Ron78

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Renewed for Second Season

Well, STD got it's expected second season.  As a show, it's just meh. I've seen the first 5 episodes, haven't watched last nights episode yet. I still haven't found any characters I like.  As far as being a Star Trek show; it's not Star Trek.  At least not in the vision of it's creator Gene Roddenberry.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2017 at 11:20 PM, Destino said:

A lot of die-hard Trekies I know didn't care for it much.  Outside of TOS that I watched some as a kid and that cast in the first six movies, I watched very little of it in college (roommate was a Trekie, so caught some TNG and DS9 here and there).  Decided it was time to watch them all, I started with Enterprise to watch them in chronological order of the timeline in the series.

I loved Quantum Leap and Scott Bakula and I really enjoyed Enterprise, all four seasons.  There eventually is the war stuff later on, but it's not all about that by any means.  Even though it ran a long time ago and I knew it was only 4 seasons, I was slightly bummed when I finished it.  After that, I skipped watching TOS and first 6 movies and jumped into TNG and loved it. 

I think TNG was better overall and while I started out kinda meh about a few characters, I grew to love them all as the series went on.  Where as in Enterprise, I loved all the characters right from the get go.

• Like 1

I finished Enterprise.  I like it.  Season three is really the only one that entirely focused heavily with war, but even that handled in a largely optimistic Star Trek manner that slants heavily to the side of peaceful solutions.  Season four was weird, but not in a bad way.  I don't think it's nearly as good as TNG but good all the same.  

Also, even though it's only 4 seasons it was still 98 episodes.  That's a lot by current standards, at least for the shows I watch.  Consider that The Walking Dead in 8 seasons produced 100 episodes.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Well, STD got it's expected second season.  As a show, it's just meh. I've seen the first 5 episodes, haven't watched last nights episode yet. I still haven't found any characters I like.  As far as being a Star Trek show; it's not Star Trek.  At least not in the vision of it's creator Gene Roddenberry.

I don't get it.  That show is utter garbage.

3 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I think TNG was better overall and while I started out kinda meh about a few characters, I grew to love them all as the series went on.  Where as in Enterprise, I loved all the characters right from the get go.

I noticed the same thing when I watched Enterprise.  With TNG and DS9, it really took several episodes (or even seasons) for characters to develop to the point that I liked them.  But, with Enterprise I liked all the characters and thought they interacted really well with one another right from the start (much like the original series).  It still bums me out to this day that Enterprise didn't get a full 7 season run, and we didn't get to see the evolution of the Federation of Planets.

Edited by Ron78
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Destino said:

Season four (of Enterprise) was weird, but not in a bad way.  

Season 4 of Enterprise was a decidedly different environment.  

Paramount wanted to cancel the show after season 3.  But some of the executives felt that, in order for a show to sell DVDs, there had to be a minimum of four seasons.  

Therefore, it was known to everybody that the fourth season was going to be the last one, before it even started.  

I have a theory that it actually liberated the creative people.  Gave them the ability to do the things that they'd long wanted to do.  To check things off their Trek bucket list.  

32 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

It still bums me out to this day that Enterprise didn't get a full 7 season run, and we didn't get to see the evolution of the Federation of Planets.

Enjoying science fiction tv shows basically requires you to endure shows being canceled too early.  

5 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I've seen them all and the show isn't bad, it's like you say, it just doesn't feel like Gene Roddenberry.  Maybe they'll get there eventually.  I wish they'd stop with the prequels though.  

20 minutes ago, Larry said:

Season 4 of Enterprise was a decidedly different environment.  

Paramount wanted to cancel the show after season 3.  But some of the executives felt that, in order for a show to sell DVDs, there had to be a minimum of four seasons.  

Therefore, it was known to everybody that the fourth season was going to be the last one, before it even started.  

I have a theory that it actually liberated the creative people.  Gave them the ability to do the things that they'd long wanted to do.  To check things off their Trek bucket list.  

I never heard that before about needing 4 seasons to sell the show on DVD.  I recall Paramount wanted to cancel Enterprise after it's third season.  People on the StarTrek.com message boards bombarded Paramount with letters and e-mails requesting that they keep the show on the air.  We ultimately got a fourth season.  I am not sure how much of the decision was due to the letters, but I know the fans made an effort.

4 minutes ago, Destino said:

Enjoying science fiction tv shows basically requires you to endure shows being canceled too early.  

True.  Although TNG, DS9, and Voyager did all get their full run (and despite Voyager having some bad ratings in the later seasons).

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

No, just no...please make it stop.

Admiral while being tortured by Romulans -"your great great grandmother was humping a vulcan..."

Spock picks up a batliff to kill Andorrians who are anal raping Kirk.

Redshirts arguing whether the Terran or the Klingon version of Silver Surfer is better.

Ensign Montgomery loses a hand and has it replaced with a plasma rifle.

It was irritating enough to see JJ remake Wrath of Khan with a stupid magic blood segment. I don't need to see Tarantino turn this into a kung fu match against Klingons.

12 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I remember seeing First Contact as a kid, scared the hell out of me.

I would have liked to make First Contact with 7of9 to be assimilated without resistance. :ph34r:

I had the opportunity to talk with William Shatner at the international fantastic film festival in Gerardmer France, he is really cool.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

While I don't doubt Quentin Tarantino's credibility as a Star Trek nerd, I do have reservations about him making a Star Trek movie as his CV seems to be rather un-Trek-like.  JJ Abrams' involvement raises more flags.

Related note: Two years ago, in a podcast with Chris Hardwick, Tarantino talked about what he would do if he made a Star Trek movie.

https://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-quentin-tarantino/ (starts talking about it at 1:08)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 1:33 PM, Destino said:

I finished Enterprise.  I like it.  Season three is really the only one that entirely focused heavily with war, but even that handled in a largely optimistic Star Trek manner that slants heavily to the side of peaceful solutions.  Season four was weird, but not in a bad way.  I don't think it's nearly as good as TNG but good all the same.  

Also, even though it's only 4 seasons it was still 98 episodes.  That's a lot by current standards, at least for the shows I watch.  Consider that The Walking Dead in 8 seasons produced 100 episodes.  

Have you watched Star Trek Continues? I actually really liked it.

http://startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

Just now, Zguy28 said:

I was going to post this the other day and forgot.  Friend of mine posted it on Facebook.  I watched some of the first episode and turned it off, didn't really capture my interest.  But I'm not an old school Trekie either.  I just watched Enterprise a year or so ago along with finishing up TNG last year and being on season 4 of Voyager.  

Skipped DS9 until after Voyager because I felt the first season and 9-10 episodes in were just kind of boring.  But have been told it gets better later on, so I'll go back to it.

7 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I was going to post this the other day and forgot.  Friend of mine posted it on Facebook.  I watched some of the first episode and turned it off, didn't really capture my interest.  But I'm not an old school Trekie either.  I just watched Enterprise a year or so ago along with finishing up TNG last year and being on season 4 of Voyager.  

Skipped DS9 until after Voyager because I felt the first season and 9-10 episodes in were just kind of boring.  But have been told it gets better later on, so I'll go back to it.

I have one episode left. I liked it, but it took a couple episodes to get into it. It really captures the feel of what a 3rd season would've been like leading up to Star Trek: the Motion Picture.

Edited by Zguy28

On 1/4/2018 at 1:49 PM, Zguy28 said:

I think it's really well made.  The set, lighting, camera angles, and production values in general really catch the feel of the original series.  Even the hammy fight-scenes are perfect fits.

Vic Mignogna's Kirk is spot-on for Shatner's.  Gets all the little mannerisms and cadence down without approaching parody territory.  And Chris Doohan stepped in admirably to fill his late father's boots.  And the guest stars are pretty cool, too.  Like Lou Farrigno to play an Orion. And Jon Delancie was masterful in that episode with the colorblind planet.

The complaints I'd have for the show are that I didn't like the addition of the Psychologist; the actress does a fine job and she does look like she belongs in the 60s vision of the future, but she's got a bit of Mary Sue in her, and she disrupts the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic stealing away much of what was McCoy's territory.  I get that she's Mignogna's girl and he wanted to give her a part, but it would have been all the more fitting to get her to play Nurse Chapel like Roddenberry did with Majel Barrett.

I find at times they can be a bit brow-beaty with the morality play.  Little things like Spock going out of his way to say how non-offensive it was to be called a female because females are not considered inferior just feel kinda forced and unnecessary.

And then the other complaint would be that not all of the actors are fantastic.  Grant Imahara was great on Mythbusters, but not a great Sulu.  And nothing against Todd Haberkorn, but he's not Leonard Nimoy.  Few are.

All that said, I still haven't seen the final two episodes (thanks, Axanar, for ruining everything for real fan filmmakers)

Edited by PokerPacker