Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do we need a new punter / kicker?

Gigantor

Did I seriously see 2 posters suggest to draft a punter in the 6th Round?? Yes it is very obvious that we need a new punter and we will have a new punter. However, it is not necessary to draft a punter in the 6th round. With all of the other numerous needs we have on our team it would be asinine to draft a punter, even in the 7th round. Although O'Donnell and Van Der Kamp will probably get drafted, this position is easier to fill than all others. IMO, we just need a guy who can punt the ball at least over 42 Net Yards a punt and that can kick long kickoffs. Get our new ST coach to scout some unheard guys out there.

Did I seriously see 2 posters suggest to draft a punter in the 6th Round?? Yes it is very obvious that we need a new punter and we will have a new punter. However, it is not necessary to draft a punter in the 6th round. With all of the other numerous needs we have on our team it would be asinine to draft a punter, even in the 7th round. Although O'Donnell and Van Der Kamp will probably get drafted, this position is easier to fill than all others. IMO, we just need a guy who can punt the ball at least over 42 Net Yards a punt and that can kick long kickoffs. Get our new ST coach to scout some unheard guys out there.

Because Andy Lee in the 6th round by the 49ers was such an "asinine" move? ;)   You know what they say about asinining.  Makes an asin out of you and an ine out of me. :blink:   

If a given guy grades out to be an all world punter, one that no one has seen the likes of in a decade let's say (hypothetically speaking), you draft the dude.  Not an exact science and both sides could be argued.  Not asinine broseph to draft a really good punter in late rounds.  Andy Lee is not the first and won't be the last.  

At this point I could punt balls better for the redskins than Rocca. I'm still waiting for the position to be revolutionized where you have an athletic punter that can boom the ball but also has speed for fake runs and an arm for throws. Not these pudgy guys that get faked out of their jocks and ankles broken if the returner is coming at them.

Let me find a list of punters and I'll post them here. But my point stands.

I don't even see how this is even up for debate.  Sav was terrible has been terrible for you guys.  if you guys had been in contention down the stretch I imagine that you would have brought people in on a weekly basis to try out for your squad.  Actually...I am kind of surprised that you didn't anyway.

Gigantor (and anyone)...note the feedback members gave you for your OP. You've been here awhile now. If you're going to assert a strong need for your particular theme in a new thread, make sure your OP not only follows the rules, but is also at least basic football literate---i.e., distinguishing between punters and kickers in your title if you're going to discuss both, and making that clear in your OP.

Also note that when I typed in "Rocca" in our own  forum search, this was on the first page:  ;)

http://es.redskins.com/topic/374336-we-have-to-be-able-to-do-better-than-rocca/?hl=rocca

There were others suitable, too, some using different but obvious search words, and that's not counting all the "special teams" threads existing. But that last is excusable when a focused (and preferably well-developed OP) is offered on a particular position. 

I am going to leave the thread open, but edit your title to better match your OP content.

Because Andy Lee in the 6th round by the 49ers was such an "asinine" move? ;)   You know what they say about asinining.  Makes an asin out of you and an ine out of me. :blink:   

If a given guy grades out to be an all world punter, one that no one has seen the likes of in a decade let's say (hypothetically speaking), you draft the dude.  Not an exact science and both sides could be argued.  Not asinine broseph to draft a really good punter in late rounds.  Andy Lee is not the first and won't be the last.  

We need more depth at Offensive Line, Wide Receivers, Defensive Line, Middle linebackers, and our Secondary. I'm pretty sure a punter is not on the list of priorities for the draft board. If we didn't need so much help at other positions, then I think it would be a good idea to draft one of those 2 punters in the 6th round. We can get a decent punter, better than Rocca, through FA or an undrafted rookie.

• 1 month later...

I was contemplating the whole punter in the NFL and I started wondering if there are rules against a player (aside from designated punter) kicking the ball from behind the line of scrimmage.

The whole punting routine seems boring and outdated, I also seem to remember Big Ben pulling off a pooch punt in the past.

In my imagination I could see us lined up on a fourth down and RG scrambling to the right if, if no open targets he simply boots the ball. Is it legal? I want some creativity out of the team! No one likes watching the same boring drill with punters.

I also remember Ocho Cinco kicking extra points at some time for the bengals. I wonder about saving a roster spot simply by having multi dimensional players not asked to do simply one thing.

:) HTTR

I may be the only one but I want a kicker that can hit the endzone on kickoffs. Kai is a FG ace but there is more to kicking than that. For some reason, punters cannot kickoff (Steve Cox shoutout), so what do we do? Go after Bironas? Nope. Lets complain to the league. 

Hilarious that the Skins are wanting to change the rule because Kai can't kick it deep. 

It does seem like the kicker is being fazed out. The extra point seems rather dated, you cannot even try to block it over the center. The only excitement is when a duck flies through. Maybe a few years from now for safety they will eliminate punts and kickoffs completely, and start on the 20. Punts are blindly net 25. 

Punter: Yes

Kicker: Nope

I think if Kai can have a good year, he will cement his status as our starting kicker for the future. Until then, it's always good to bring in competition.

Sav rocca was terrible last year, and was probably one of the highest paid punters. It amazed me how slow he was at getting the ball off. He seemed to always want to take that one extra step!(which would cause bad things)

I care so little about this part of the game. It could go away and I'd be fine. Let the QB Chuck it for a punt,have 2 point conversions every td and give a guy the football in the back of the endzone and run it out from there.

And I also can't believe long snapper is a real thing. You have an entire roster spot dedicated to a guy who chucks the ball a few yards further than your center? Stupid. Some career there.

The foot part of football is just dumb.

Archived