Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I HATE VERIZON..

JMS

I cut Cable TV about six months ago. We actually love it. Not merely "we're managing without it" we actually enjoy the act of watching TV more now. I think it's the absence of frustration of having hundreds of channels and having very little to watch. We're saving about a hundred bucks a month from cutting cable. 

No one has mentioned DirecTV? I've had it for 13 years and love it. Expensive I guess but beats Comcast, Verizon, and Dish IMHO.

Streaming is a different animal and will be until the Aereo legislation stuff is worked out.

I have had DTV for about the same amount of time and had it when I lived in Atlanta when Sunday ticket first came around. I figure I can just buy the Sunday ticket for less and enjoy all the rest of the programming for less too.

You can buy the Google Chromecast. I think it has all the top streaming service. You just plug it to your HDMI port on your TV and hook it up via Wifi. I think they are like $35

Thanks for that info. I will check it out.

I liked it, the wife couldn't take the signal dropping though

I liked the old USSB days when ya could get movies channels w/o a basic cable package

It wasn't set up properly. I was watching a Cowboys/Redskins Sunday night game about 9 years ago while it was storming so badly the local channel went to emergency programming...I didn't lose signal. I was so angry that I called DTV to see if they would change my feed. My argument was that if I can see the news...why can't I see the game. The local broadcast did a picture in picture type of thing, but it was about twenty minutes later.

I lose signal here and there but never for more than twenty minutes it seems. Typically I just get some pixel type stuff for a few seconds.

I cut Cable TV about six months ago. We actually love it. Not merely "we're managing without it" we actually enjoy the act of watching TV more now. I think it's the absence of frustration of having hundreds of channels and having very little to watch. We're saving about a hundred bucks a month from cutting cable. 

But nearly all of the BPL games are on NBCSN. :( 

I lose signal here and there but never for more than twenty minutes it seems. Typically I just get some pixel type stuff for a few seconds.

20 minutes is 20 too long for her,plus we had a pigeon problem....finally had to put spikes on it

did I mention I hate pigeons about as much as cable companies?

Don't you dare cut the cord. Reception was terrible until I finally had enough and installed cable in my room. 

The lightest breeze would throw off the antenna during a Redskins game. And if it was rainy out you could forget about watching it. These may sound like first world problems, but years upon years of having to adjust my antenna to watch anything on TV, then adjust it again to try to pick up another station...when I live like right outside DC...and then trying to watch something online that kept buffering and buffering...all the nightmares are finally over now that I have cable. In my opinion, cordcutting is a terrible nightmare. 

Yes, you do pay for a bunch of stations you don't watch. And I don't watch anything other than the occasional ESPN (it's mostly travel Channel, Food Network, and HGTV). But it's well damn worth it to be able to watch FOX, CBS, NBC, and ABC without having to worry about whether I'll be able to see anything on my TV or not.

With the new digital signals this kind of thing should be a thing of the past. It's all or none so you'll either have a signal and a picture or you won't. That can be good and bad since I'd rather be able to see a grainy picture of the Skins game than nothing at all. The good part is that if you've got a signal, you've got a good picture. If you're in an area with poor coverage due to obstacles, geography, etc. you may be SOL regardless though.

Cable isn't perfect though. When we had DirecTV we'd lose signal for short periods of time with heavy rains and if your dish gets covered by snow you're going to have to clear it before you get anything back. Our Xfinity signal pixelates and skips periodically which IMHO shouldn't really happen with a direct line into the TV. So as someone said earlier, they all kind of suck. In fact, I don't know that we'd be much worse off if we had the gubment run/provide cable service. j/k, I just wanted to see if I could get some of our local Tea Klan types' heads to pop off.  :lol:

About to move out of my ****ty apartment of the last four years with ****ty Cox (my apartment forces tenants to pay for Cox).  Cox is the worst, ever. Can't wait to get XFinity interwebs and DirecTV.

Cox is the absolute worst. After college my first two apartments had Cox. It was so bad that when we were looking for our next place, the option of something other than Cox was a requirement. Not a desire, a requirement. 

Cox is the absolute worst. After college my first two apartments had Cox. It was so bad that when we were looking for our next place, the option of something other than Cox was a requirement. Not a desire, a requirement. 

Yep i feel exactly the same way.  When they switched me over to whole home DVR last fall, the internet stopped working, for the whole building . . . for a month.  They had 8 different technicians come out, including their head technician.  None of them could fix it.  Finally i had a friend come over who is an engineer, he fixed it for our whole building in 25 minutes.  

I have a question regarding the Roku, Netflix, Amazon Prime,etc. Type of stuff.

Do I need to buy a box for or have it hooked up via USB to every TV ? I have 3 TVs on the first and 3 on the second floor of my house.

You would need a Roku device on every TV set is my understanding... they have Roku 1, 2, and 3.. all with various features.... there is also Roku on a stick... a USB memory stick device which hook into your hdmi port on your tv and connects to the internet through WIFI. So one time fee of 50-100$ per TV set.

If you want to share content across your TV sets you can basically create your own channel through a software package which runs on your PC called Roconnect... Then you can configure each roku device to recognize it as a channel..

I was considering buying an HD antenna, and signing up for all of these other services. Because it would be cheaper than what I pay just over the course of football season alone...for the entire year.

I'm paying about 20$ per set top box per month... so even the most expensive Roku device pays for itself in 5 months.. that's not even counting all the other bills verizon charges... figure more like 1.5 months and I'm ahead.

I don't mind spending money, but I hate wasting it, and I feel like I could just get all of those and come out with a similar product (if not better than ) to what I have now. I would just get sunday ticket online and hook it up for those weeks. I have 6 computers in the house, but 3 are in my office, two in my bedroom, and one in a guest room.

I just would like someone who uses that type of system for some insight/info. Thanks.

I think you can get most of the NFL games online.. I think you can buy most of the games on itunes too. The Red Zone app is on my cell phone and it has all the games live... Once you get the content you can steam it across all your Roku devices... The challenge is finding the content.

Damn Dish could go out with the cat's sneeze in the early days, but I miss it now.  It got increasingly better, and their service response time cannot be matched.

On the service front, I called with a busted box from a pretty isolated island spot off Savannah on a Saturday at 7pm, and the service guy was at my door(pizza people couldn't find us, but this dude could)at 9am on Sunday and had me hooked back up in 10 minutes. 

The only reason I told them they could wait til the next morning was because I had another box in another room, no biggie.  Hubby was out of town, so I only needed the one.  They were willing to come out there immediately.  That's customer service.

And programming like FreeSpeechTV can't be found on cable. :(

But if you cut the cord you won't ever find out if Joes drug abuse was the reason why mikeys daughter died driving the 18 wheeler while smuggling moonshine in the great alaskan wilderness or was it really the bad acting dwarf who is at fault?

pretty sure I saw that episode on  Netflix.....the dwarfes coulda just been similar though

20 minutes is 20 too long for her,plus we had a pigeon problem....finally had to put spikes on it

did I mention I hate pigeons about as much as cable companies?

When I say 20 minutes...that has been only once in the last ten years.

Because snow was on the dish. Generally it's just a few minutes, 5 or less.

When I say 20 minutes...that has been only once in the last ten years.

Because snow was on the dish. Generally it's just a few minutes, 5 or less.

I liked it, hell I had it for probably 15 yrs....still got my equipment,right beside my Betamax   B)

My DirecTV goes out for a few minutes once or twice a year during only the worst of storms. Rain has to be falling sideways and causing flood warnings for anything to happen. The good thing about it is you know it will come back on once the storm lets up. With cable, you never know when it will come back on and/or you've got to make a call. Snow seems to slide right off the dish, never had a problem with it.

I paid $200 to get out of my Verizon cell contact last year and im happy that I did that. It's my goal to go to my grave without dealing with that pos company ever again.

There is a reason their primary color is red :)

Is there a "I hate Sprint" rant yet? Thinking of eating 250 to break contract with them for being lied to.

GI've T-Mobile a look, they are paying for people to break their contracts with other providers so depending on your area it might be good for you.

Archived