Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I HATE VERIZON..

JMS

As I observed in the Random Thoughts thread, afternoon cable is some of the most despicable and terrible television you'll ever watch. You're airing this again? Duck Dynasty, some garbage Discovery stuff, Lizard Lick, infomercials all over the place. It really makes you consider whether it's worth it to pay 100 dollars per month for that garbage that A) you'll never even think of watching or B) already have seen before 

Cable's best assets are sports and nightly programming. Because I had a great time last night watching the Australian Open as well as the Georgetown game. Yes, youc an watch it online. But it's more convenient to take your clicker and browse through channels. It's just that there's nothing watchable in the afternoons. 

As I observed in the Random Thoughts thread, afternoon cable is some of the most despicable and terrible television you'll ever watch. You're airing this again? Duck Dynasty, some garbage Discovery stuff, Lizard Lick, infomercials all over the place. It really makes you consider whether it's worth it to pay 100 dollars per month for that garbage that A) you'll never even think of watching or B) already have seen before 

Cable's best assets are sports and nightly programming. Because I had a great time last night watching the Australian Open as well as the Georgetown game. Yes, youc an watch it online. But it's more convenient to take your clicker and browse through channels. It's just that there's nothing watchable in the afternoons. 

That's the major thing stopping me from cutting the cord. With pretty much all sports being on cable now, I'd miss all the MNF games, TNF football, most college games including the upcoming Playoffs, pretty much all college basketball, and just about all MLB. Sure the Skins games I could watch locally, but I'd be SOL with college sports and the O's.

If I cord cut I can't see classics like September 20, 1998, the day Cal Ripken's streak ended. 

Yankees 5 - Orioles 4 

Just too much good stuff on cable sports-wise to cordcut. And they aren't streaming MASN so I can't pick up that particular "Orioles Classic" 

So does Aereo TV allow for the streaming off local broadcasts from anywhere in the country? If so...eff off DirecTV, Sunday Ticket is no longer needed.

Yes, but the local TV stations are going to court to get them to stop rebroadcasting their signals. So it's unclear how long Aereo is going to be around.

And then there is this entire Net Neutrality monster which Verizon just re-ignited. Verizon wants the right to selectively decrease the bandwidth of applications like NetFlics or Google or Amazon. This can be done to extort more money from these companies... or just to give Verizon competing products a leg up in the competiton. That could kill everybody trying to unplug.

Yes, but the local TV stations are going to court to get them to stop rebroadcasting their signals. So it's unclear how long Aereo is going to be around.

Aereo only allows for you to get your home market.  If you live in DC you get DC locals.  If you live in LA you get LA locals.  You can't live in LA and get DC locals from Aereo. 

The Aereo case is basically they are setting up an antenna for you and charging you maintenance and storage for the antenna.  You are not paying them for the content.   

Nope only the market you are living in.

So the way it works is they give you an antenna which captures the local TV stations, and a cloud based DVR so you can record shows you don't care to watch live. Both live and recorded shows are available on your TV through integrations with Apple TV and Roku..

Beyond the broadcast TV stations though there are other channels available to paid Aero subscribers..

They've got about 30 channels including your local channels like NBC, FOX, CBS, ABC, PBS, CW... Standard with Aero subscriptions is also some local channels in NY... where Aero is based.. NYGov etc..

https://aereo.com/channels

Aereo only allows for you to get your home market.  If you live in DC you get DC locals.  If you live in LA you get LA locals.  You can't live in LA and get DC locals from Aereo. 

The Aereo case is basically they are setting up an antenna for you and charging you maintenance and storage for the antenna.  You are not paying them for the content.

Yes, you are correct. Your antenna must be in the local market. But that doesn't have to be directly connected or proximal to your TV or Roku box was my thought.

I paid $200 to get out of my Verizon cell contact last year and im happy that I did that. It's my goal to go to my grave without dealing with that pos company ever again.

There is a reason their primary color is red :)

GI've T-Mobile a look, they are paying for people to break their contracts with other providers so depending on your area it might be good for you.

my problem with tmobile is this (of course, i could name problems i've had with sprint, verizon, virgin, and straight talk, but, i digress)......

back in 99 or 2000, i got my first cell phone with them, then known as voicestream. every plan included a 'first free incoming minute'. i paid about $60 a month for 600 minutes. after my girlfriend and i had them for a few years, i started going over my minutes and paying extra every month. i decided to pay another $20 a month for 300 more minutes. next month, i'm still going over my minutes. same thing the following month, so i call and ask whats going on. they say 'we dont know'. no long distance charges, no 100 minutes long butt dials, nothing. 

when this happens and i call back 2 more times, i finally ask 'what about my first free incoming minute??'. the guy says 'what first free incoming minute? you dont have that, and youve NEVER had that'. 

i knew he was wrong about that cuz i'd seen it specifically mentioned on my bill from before. i go home, get my bill, call them back. this time, the lady says she doesnt know why the guy said i never have had it, but i dont have it now. i ask why, she says it wasnt included in my new 900 minute plan. i'm incredulous, as this was never explained to me. she said it was.

do the math, and if you get more than 300 calls a month, you would be paying t mobile 20 bucks a month for fewer minutes. when i asked the lady who would do such a thing, she didnt have an answer. i said i wanted a refund, as i'd probably paid a couple of hundred bucks in overages and spent a couple of hours on the phone with them trying to figure out why i was still going over my minutes, asking what the hell was different about my plan, and they maintained they didnt know.

so, no refund for me, as they said 'you changed your plan 6 months ago, you should have known'. nice. 

accident, you say? not so fast. 

my ex girlfriend, at this point, who had gotten her phone when i got mine, was chatting with me and told me how she, too, was going over her minutes. she said she had recently been solicited by t mobile to renew her plan with some incentive like long distance or something. i told her go check her bill to see if she still had the first free incoming minute, which she swore she did. 

well, she didnt. she called t mobile to ask what was up, they have her a 100 free minutes or some crap.

she was the only other person who had that company that I knew, and the exact same thing happened to her that happened to me.

they seem to have the best deals going at the moment, but for me, they will always be the king douchebag of all the douchebag cell phone providers. i will never go back to them. 

I've been with T-Mobile for my cell phone since back when they were Powertel, before VoiceStream, I think. I was on a pre-paid plan until last year when my phone died, I bought one of their cheapest androids, & switched to the month-to-month unlimited everything plan, runs me about $57/month.

I hated when the "first incoming minute free" ended & fees for incoming texts started, but have been relieved with the new plan, however. Now I can browse ES, and not worry about having enough minutes if I'm stuck on hold in an emergency. Hubby's cell is covered by his company, so my $57 is chump change...and I can count my lost calls on 2 hands over the last 13 years.

I've been with T-Mobile for my cell phone since back when they were Powertel, before VoiceStream, I think. I was on a pre-paid plan until last year when my phone died, I bought one of their cheapest androids, & switched to the month-to-month unlimited everything plan, runs me about $57/month.

I hated when the "first incoming minute free" ended & fees for incoming texts started, but have been relieved with the new plan, however. Now I can browse ES, and not worry about having enough minutes if I'm stuck on hold in an emergency. Hubby's cell is covered by his company, so my $57 is chump change...and I can count my lost calls on 2 hands over the last 13 years.

having used so many different companies, ive had bad experiences with all of them. are t mobile any worse? probably not. in fact, it may be a whole different group running it, since my bad experience happened so long ago. 

i just hated the way they handled it. it was just so blatantly shady. that, and who doesnt love holding a grudge? :)

• 2 weeks later...

When you cancel cable services, you feel trapped. When you feel trapped you need to feel free. When you need to feel free you try hang gliding. When you try hang gliding you crash into things. When you crash into things the grid goes down. When the grid goes down crime goes up. And when crime goes up your dad gets punched over a can of soup. Don’t have your dad punched over a can of soup.

OK so the day after I posted in this thread (Jan 21st) our broadband service goes out. I wait a bit but it doesn't come back so I call Comcast. After going back and forth with them, they finally disclose that there's an issue with the node in our area and that they're working hard to get service back up. Today is Feb 3rd, still no service. The best part? Checking online only to see the service outage notice with a random time inserted as to when it'll be fixed. I finally called and told them that I'd signed up for UVerse and if they get it installed first, Comcast will be toast. The response, "Thank you for being a loyal Comcast customer sir. Would you like to upgrade to faster internet service?" Son of a @!&*$!!!  :angry:

post-114607-0-10109100-1391480401_thumb.png

Archived