Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I HATE VERIZON..

JMS

I hate verizon.. I really really hate verizon......  I like fios.. I like HBO..   I sort of like my internet connection even though it's kind of flakey... and verizon screws with me all the time...   They offer a better service for 10$ more... I decline... then they start slowing down my access... ****s...

They randomly put channels on my service and when I figure it out it takes me weeks of calls to get them to drop it...   I get one person on the phone.. can't help me... I finally go into the verizon store and it takes them 45 minutes on the phone to drop the freaking channel.  kills me...

Now I have a few movies on Verizon on demand which I purchased... I can download them to my mobile devices no problem...  Verizon turned off the ability to down load them to my pc.. ****S...

So now they are telling me it's a copy right issue..  I can download them to my ipad,  to an android phone...  to an iphone... or an MS Phone..   I can also watch them through verizon apps on my pc streaming..  but I can't download movies which I paid for as of November 2013..   ****S

But I hate all things about interacting with Verizon the company...  They suck...   They over bill,  they change policies... they treat their customers like crap...  They are the worst freaking company in the world..   It's just so frustrating...  even trying to contact their customer service and get a live voice who can help you sucks... Call three times get three different answers...

If you have a choice to not do business with Verizon take it.... period....  

But I hate all things about interacting with Verizon the company...  They suck...   They over bill,  they change policies... they treat their customers like crap...  They are the worst freaking company in the world..   It's just so frustrating...  even trying to contact their customer service and get a live voice who can help you sucks... Call three times get three different answers...

If you have a choice to not do business with Verizon take it.... period....  

as someone who has used basically every other service provider in the cable or cell phone universe (except direct tv), they are all bad, and they all do what youre talking about to some extent, in my personal experience. 

you should get a digital antenna, get an internet connection, and be done with them :) 

I've never had any problem with FiOS. 

Yep,  it's only when you need to actually speak with them and get them to respond when they show their true nature...

Their commitment to customer service is zero.

as someone who has used basically every other service provider in the cable or cell phone universe (except direct tv), they are all bad, and they all do what youre talking about to some extent, in my personal experience. 

you should get a digital antenna, get an internet connection, and be done with them :)

I've tried comcast and verizon...  they both sucked..   Verizon Fios had the best infrastructure and the best internet service... they rope you in with low prices....  your connection is only 40,  50,  70 $....   before you know it you're paying 100's of dollars...   sure your basic service is 40-70$... but then they tack on all these hidden fees they never told you about in their "base package".....   Oh and when you try to contact them to go over your bill... good luck.

Seriously man, cut the cord and rediscover your life.  I have cable internet and subscriptions to Hulu and Netflix -- that gives me plenty of content to watch.  I've always maintained that the biggest cost of cable isn't the monthly bill, but the hours you waste watching 'Storage Wars,' and other nonsensical junk.  It's not that I don't watch stuff like that now, but the barrier is now much higher to start watching something like that. The only thing I miss anymore is ESPN.

Even if you have young kids who like the kids channels, both Netflix and Hulu and special kids menus now to find the stuff they like to watch easily.

On a sidenote, Fios is one of the most bizarre services out there.  My parents have it on two TVs and their house and one of them gets the Big Ten network while the other doesn't.  My dad has called to complain many times with no answer as to why it happens.

Seriously man, cut the cord and rediscover your life.  I have cable internet and subscriptions to Hulu and Netflix -

I'm looking at that seriously... I'm looking at "Roku"...  but I'll still have to pay $100 per month for my verizon fios internet.

What's a "digital antenna" and what kind of download upload speads can I expect?

lol...

Anyway. Yeah, I just got rid of Verizon too. We can't get FIOS over here, but I had phone services with them.

They were charging like 70 dollars for their essiantials plan. And that plan sucked. So I finally made the switch to Magic Jack. I like it, and will never go back to Verizon. And as soon as my direcTV contract runs out, I am canceling my TV subscription and just will have HuluPlus, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and ESPN on the X-Box.

Seriously man, cut the cord and rediscover your life.  I have cable internet and subscriptions to Hulu and Netflix -- that gives me plenty of content to watch.  I've always maintained that the biggest cost of cable isn't the monthly bill, but the hours you waste watching 'Storage Wars,' and other nonsensical junk.  It's not that I don't watch stuff like that now, but the barrier is now much higher to start watching something like that. The only thing I miss anymore is ESPN.

Even if you have young kids who like the kids channels, both Netflix and Hulu and special kids menus now to find the stuff they like to watch easily.

On a sidenote, Fios is one of the most bizarre services out there.  My parents have it on two TVs and their house and one of them gets the Big Ten network while the other doesn't.  My dad has called to complain many times with no answer as to why it happens.

Yes it's time... screw paying $240- $400 per months and take Verizon's abuse... Long overdue.

I'm looking at cutting the cord seriously... I'm looking at "Roku". One time 99$ fee, 1000 channels...  but I'll still have to pay $100 per month for my internet. I looked at Apple TV too.. but after eyeballing it Roku looked superior. I especially liked the search feature which span's content channels, and the ability with ROConnect to have content from my PC integrated with my Roku boxes...

The only negative I can see right now is I will have to pay for Game of Thrones alacart... $2 per episode....

Anybody have any incite on cutting the cord?

What's a "digital antenna" and what kind of download upload speads can I expect?

Roku is da bomb. I bought one for Mrs. 06 for Xmas and I've been amazed at how fast it is even with the relatively weak WiFi signal in that part of the house. It also has a great selection of "channels".

My Mother-in-law lives with us and we're pretty sure she'd have a hard time with adjusting to streaming services. If it weren't for that and my need to have Sunday Ticket to watch the Skins we probably would have kicked cable/satellite providers to the curb long ago.

You're kidding right? Think of it as rabbit ears for digital TV. There's no upload/downloads, it's just a way to get a digital signal to your set for over the air broadcast TV.

You're kidding right? Think of it as rabbit ears for digital TV. There's no upload/downloads, it's just a way to get a digital signal to your set for over the air broadcast TV.

Really? Rabbit ears? Like we used to use back in the 60's and 70's for analog TV? They still broadcast TV channels?

Can I hook that up to Roku? Do you know?

I just purchased a Roku 3 device... I've also installed and am planning on using Roconnect to interface with my PC.. so I can download, host shows on my PC and watch on my TV. I'm also looking to integrate my Sony DVD/ bluray juke box.. Don't know how I'm going to do that yet. I know I can do that with a new remote.. but I'm going to try to get them working all through Roku... Anyway, I don't know what the hell I'm doing, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I've tried comcast and verizon...  they both sucked..   Verizon Fios had the best infrastructure and the best internet service... they rope you in with low prices....  your connection is only 40,  50,  70 $....   before you know it you're paying 100's of dollars...   sure your basic service is 40-70$... but then they tack on all these hidden fees they never told you about in their "base package".....   Oh and when you try to contact them to go over your bill... good luck.

agree. i had fios a few years ago and it pummeled comcast, at least in appearance of the guide, the way the channels are set up, and ease of use. 

i dont have fios now mainly cuz, even though i live about a mile down the road from where i did when i last had it, my association didnt let them dig so its not available. 

at least comcast came up with the X1 platfrom that looks far better than the former set up. 

the hidden fees drive me nuts. a few months ago when i went from regular, 1970's style comcast to the new X1, i went over all the hidden fees with a fine toothed comb and i currently have a really good deal.

as far as fios, i ordered it for my mother in law last year. she wanted the spanish channel, since shes chilean (and, who doesnt love the spanish soaps- i dont know what they are saying, but the boobs and moose knuckle are better than cinemax at night.....)

so, if you want the spanish channel- guess what? you have to get it in a whole package that costs like $20 bucks a month, ok but you also have to get the top of the line HD DVR receiver? why? i have no idea, but thats what they say. that costs another $20 a month. and she doesnt even have an HD TV. (or internet, so the bundle isnt even a bargain)

so, the $70 a month price for the most basic lineup becomes $110 if you want one other channel.  and thats before they fee you to death. her bill somehow became nearly $170 a month (not exaggerating). as soon as i saw that bill, i was able to cancel without paying a termination fee. 

currently, comcast is the lesser of those two evils for me. 

but i still have verizon as my cell phone provider.

Really? Rabbit ears? Like we used to use back in the 60's and 70's for analog TV? They still broadcast TV channels?

Can I hook that up to Roku? Do you know?

i bought an HDTV antenna for my mother in laws camper in spotsylvania on ebay for like $50. depending on the day, i can get a dozen or two channels, many of the main ones in HD.

watched skins/rams there last year in full HD. for free. 

very liberating. 

If Aereo TV ends up standing up to the legal challenges I will be canceling my cable.  I will only have internet through a cable company.  I will use Apple TV and Aereo will give me my locals including the Skins game.

I can get the skins game from here can't I? I can certainly get it over the internet somewhere... and since roku allows you to integrate with your PC I figure I'm covered.... I can even get ESPN content with Roku, I think, In theory... haven't actually connected it yet..

I am a big apple fan.. so I seriously considered apple. problem is apple has 70 channels, and Roku has 1000...

Apple doesn't connect with Amazon's video on demand... Apple does connect with itunes though which is powerful.. but I still get itunes content over my PC.. so Roku which doesn't connect directly with itunes can still read it's content.

I have a question regarding the Roku, Netflix, Amazon Prime,etc. Type of stuff.

Do I need to buy a box for or have it hooked up via USB to every TV ? I have 3 TVs on the first and 3 on the second floor of my house.

I was considering buying an HD antenna, and signing up for all of these other services. Because it would be cheaper than what I pay just over the course of football season alone...for the entire year.

I don't mind spending money, but I hate wasting it, and I feel like I could just get all of those and come out with a similar product (if not better than ) to what I have now. I would just get sunday ticket online and hook it up for those weeks. I have 6 computers in the house, but 3 are in my office, two in my bedroom, and one in a guest room.

I just would like someone who uses that type of system for some insight/info. Thanks.

as far as I know Boxee tv is the only one the tv antenna hooks into the box, though many newer tvs have switching capability

you will either need a box for each tv or the tv to be capable of receiving wireless signals....and of course a good internet provider

add

you can also stream thru a computer,smartphone or many game systems, but that gets clunky

No one has mentioned DirecTV? I've had it for 13 years and love it. Expensive I guess but beats Comcast, Verizon, and Dish IMHO.

Streaming is a different animal and will be until the Aereo legislation stuff is worked out.

I liked it, the wife couldn't take the signal dropping though

I liked the old USSB days when ya could get movies channels w/o a basic cable package

I have a question regarding the Roku, Netflix, Amazon Prime,etc. Type of stuff.

Do I need to buy a box for or have it hooked up via USB to every TV ? I have 3 TVs on the first and 3 on the second floor of my house.

You can buy the Google Chromecast. I think it has all the top streaming service. You just plug it to your HDMI port on your TV and hook it up via Wifi. I think they are like $35

Don't you dare cut the cord. Reception was terrible until I finally had enough and installed cable in my room. 

The lightest breeze would throw off the antenna during a Redskins game. And if it was rainy out you could forget about watching it. These may sound like first world problems, but years upon years of having to adjust my antenna to watch anything on TV, then adjust it again to try to pick up another station...when I live like right outside DC...and then trying to watch something online that kept buffering and buffering...all the nightmares are finally over now that I have cable. In my opinion, cordcutting is a terrible nightmare. 

Yes, you do pay for a bunch of stations you don't watch. And I don't watch anything other than the occasional ESPN (it's mostly travel Channel, Food Network, and HGTV). But it's well damn worth it to be able to watch FOX, CBS, NBC, and ABC without having to worry about whether I'll be able to see anything on my TV or not. 

Archived