Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The House that Bruce Built

Voice_of_Reason

Yeah, my biggest fault with aj smith is his reluctance to pay anyone. Maybe the chargers mandated that he be stingy, but they didn't even resign their own guys.

Also although I love rivers, I always think about what could have been. He probably would have been crucified if he had stuck with brees at that point, but imagine that offense with brees, tomlinson, gates and larry fitzgerald. Could have easily made an argument that each of them was the best at their position from 2005-2009.

• Like 1

Yeah, my biggest fault with aj smith is his reluctance to pay anyone. Maybe the chargers mandated that he be stingy, but they didn't even resign their own guys.

Also although I love rivers, I always think about what could have been. He probably would have been crucified if he had stuck with brees at that point, but imagine that offense with brees, tomlinson, gates and larry fitzgerald. Could have easily made an argument that each of them was the best at their position from 2005-2009.

I assume you mean Vincent Jackson, not Fitz.  With Brees the decision was made easy once he tore his labrum.  Most thought his career might be over.  The Saints were the only team that took a chance and it paid off big.  Miami passed on Brees and traded for Culpepper.  If Miami had signed Brees I don't think Saban leaves for Alabama.  

I assume you mean Vincent Jackson, not Fitz. With Brees the decision was made easy once he tore his labrum. Most thought his career might be over. The Saints were the only team that took a chance and it paid off big. Miami passed on Brees and traded for Culpepper. If Miami had signed Brees I don't think Saban leaves for Alabama.

The torn labrum was two years after the rivers draft. And no, I was talking about Larry fitzgerald. The chargers could have drafted him if they weren't concerned about getting a qb that draft. That could have been an all-time great offense.

This is the quote I will always remember from Bruce Allen's time here:

“The draft is going to be a great way to add to the team. We’ve been active in free agency, so we feel there’s no gaping holes on the roster, but as we look at our team, we really look at where our roster is in 2015 and 2016 as well. It allows us the flexibility to make sure that we follow the draft board that’s been set up with everyone’s communication, so we’re not looking at a particular position as we address the draft.”

Ha, no gaping holes except for the ones pass rushers run through.

The torn labrum was two years after the rivers draft. And no, I was talking about Larry fitzgerald. The chargers could have drafted him if they weren't concerned about getting a qb that draft. That could have been an all-time great offense.

Gotcha.  Makes sense.

He fired Marty afterr a 14-2 season and hired Norv.

Not saying Marty was ever going to win a SB, but hiring Norv after stints here and the Raiders epically stupid.

Which goes back to should a guy like Marty have control of draft day decisions because he didn't want Rivers in the first place. I'm just wondering would he have actually drafted Fitz?

Still funny that our Dunce fired Marty to resume his FFL with Cerrato and Spurrier.

I thought this was interesting. (Full article - http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/the-man-who-caused-redskins-problems-cant-be-the-one-tasked-with-solving-them/2014/12/14/40ab206e-83d5-11e4-9534-f79a23c40e6c_story.html?postshare=261418648315471 )

More than 20 players on the roster must be jettisoned before next season, people in the organization say. Problem is, Allen is incapable of providing Coach Jay Gruden with better ones. Allen already proved that while botching the previous offseason.

Hoping to improve the team after last year’s disaster, owner Daniel Snyder empowered Allen to make major changes. Allen made things worse.

It’s not just that Allen made curious decisions — if you want to win, you can’t guarantee almost $22 million to Brian Orakpo and Jason Hatcher — that ruined the season before it began. Allen’s biggest problem is that, unlike the game’s top talent-evaluators, he apparently sees only a bunch of names and numbers when he studies the roster.

A.J. Smith, Redskins senior executive, had a successful run as the San Diego Chargers’ general manager. After Mike Shanahan was ousted, Smith assumed a bigger role in decision-making. Smith would be a good choice to succeed Allen as general manager, some in the organization say, if Snyder decides Allen has too much to do.Smith has a much better player-personnel record than Allen — most NFL executives do — but he once picked Norv Turner over Marty Schottenheimer. Enough said.

I can't wait to hear how Allen spins this season in a few weeks. Should be fun (miserable) watching the diplomat at work. 

Yeah, I'm wondering if he's even going to have a post-season presser.  Or if he's going to have Jay go up there and take the beating for him.

Honestly, what I'd like to see (which will never happen) is Dan get up there on the Black Monday and take responsibility himself, claim that he's heard the fans and the criticisms, and that he's going to work exceptionally hard to change the culture and operations of the 'Skins.  And that finishing with double digit losses in 5 of 6 seasons is not acceptable, and he takes the responsibility.

Then fire EVERYBODY and hire a new President with no ties to the organization and puts a new structure in place.  

That, however, is ... not likely.  

• Like 2

If we were to fire everyone at the end of the season will that hold us back on the search for new HC? In the time it takes to get a new GM will some of the better options for HC be gone?

Last yr the Texans had O'Brien pretty much tied up early on as they had got rid of Kubiak with a few weeks to go

If we were to fire everyone at the end of the season will that hold us back on the search for new HC? In the time it takes to get a new GM will some of the better options for HC be gone?

Last yr the Texans had O'Brien pretty much tied up early on as they had got rid of Kubiak with a few weeks to go

Yeah, ideally if you're changing the front office you want to do it early, like with a couple of weeks left in the season, so they have time to get their people in place before the season ends. Then you can be interviewing coaching candidates with everyone else. Although teams have waited until after the season to hire new GMs too.

Not that any of this is going to happen anyway.

“The general manager needs to prevent the owner from hiring someone who’s not qualified. And that’s why Vinny is no longer here, to be truthful with you. He’s not here because his job was to prevent the owner from hiring a not-qualified coach. Having said that, we went in and had the worst two-year experience I ever dreamed. I apologized, according to my wife, ten thousand times. I apologize openly. I made a big mistake. It’s a terrible experience when you know you got the wrong guy to lead the franchise.” Dan Snyder says he fired Vinny Cerrato for letting him hire Jim Zorn - The Washington Post

It's a terrible experience when you know that the owner is an imbecile and has done this same thing over and over and over since he bought the team and in all this time the best team he's ever owned was the one he had no time to put his stamp of fail on, that 1999 team that Norv the Clown coached and still got them to 10-6 and the 2nd round of the playoffs.

I said earlier in this thread that I would judge Bruce starting from this past off season.

My main gripe with Bruce was the hiring of Jay specifically as it relates to the handling of the QB and the general

lack of improvement with the team and the general needless circus atmosphere.

He's made some other mistakes with the coaching staff and re-signing Rak. Some of these mistakes I understand in theory retaining Haslett/Rak. However some are more egregious eg lack of a complete passing game coaching staff.

What i dont understand Is why many people that dont acknowledge Gruden's mistakes are soo upset with Bruce?

If they're okay with Jay thus far then why the animus towards Allen?

I said earlier in this thread that I would judge Bruce starting from this past off season.

My main gripe with Bruce was the hiring of Jay specifically as it relates to the handling of the QB and the general

lack of improvement with the team and the general needless circus atmosphere.

He's made some other mistakes with the coaching staff and re-signing Rak. Some of these mistakes I understand in theory retaining Haslett/Rak. However some are more egregious eg lack of a complete passing game coaching staff.

What i dont understand Is why many people that dont acknowledge Gruden's mistakes are soo upset with Bruce?

If they're okay with Jay thus far then why the animus towards Allen?

You are definitely Dan Snyder.  There is no doubt about that.  Hi Dan.

You can post until you are blue in the face the coaches you hired.  You can ignore also that all the reports that Bruce did in fact have a major role in Shanny's roster.  You can't hide the idiocy that entails when a poster backs Allen and wants to sink Gruden.  Anyone with a pulse knows where the problem is.

Thanks Danny.

Edited by chipwhich

I see the logic of DGs post, but Allen has enough **** on his shoes. He needs to go along with Gruden.

No worries, just check out my posts in this thread.

Don't worry about some of the thinly disguised trolls.

Most of my posts are over their heads anyway.

I wouldn't even see those types of posts if they weren't quoted, and lucky for me they usually aren't.

Some of those trollstyle posts come from some of dumbest types of posters who argue via drive by strawmen and are often too stupid to or don't even bother to get other posters claims correct. (even after the view is re-quoted and spelled out for them)

Back when people were lauding the Allen hiring I was one of the few pointing out that hey this guy is capologist not a GM. I was also one of the people that didn't want Haslett brought back.

So anyone representing my views as anything other are being purposefully disingenuous.

Edited by darrelgreenie

Do these clowns in Ashburn know how to actually scout players? Whoever thought Ryan Clark is a starting free safety should be fired. As hard as it might be for them, they need to be absent from free agency for a few years. They need to hit on some draft picks and develop those players into elite ones. We have no elite players anywhere. The only players that has that potential is Breeland and Williams. Maybe Robinson.

Back when people were lauding the Allen hiring I was one of the few pointing out that hey this guy is capologist not a GM. I was also one of the people that didn't want Haslett brought back.

Same here, didn't want Shanahan either. Still waiting for Snyder to turn the team over to somebody who can do it right which will probably never happen.

Keim'a wake-up call this AM included Chris Russell's piece on Allen's five years:

Www.espn980.com/includes/blog/index.php?action=blog&blog_id=8&post_id=21481

Not shocking, most of the positives he highlights are not things that spill out onto the field but organizational PR things and facility upgrades that any fan who follows the team could have told you was needed.

Dan does hear us, keep shouting "real GM" and it will happen. Even AJ Smith would be a step in the right direction, although he is an a--hole. We have to make right decisions on the coaching staff, QB position, and rebuilding the line and defensive backfield. Smith is the type of guy who can lead this kind of work. Ideally, he gets to add staffing to his department and a five year anniversary piece on AJ's run as GM includes some positives on the field while Bruce can keep working on the fan experience, reconnecting with the old Hogs, the Harvest Fest and facility upgrades.

Edited by TheCoach22