Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

Hey PokerPacker, what about this report from PFT:

If Russ Ball is in, Mike McCarthy may be out

Could Mike McCarthy be on the way out. Either the new GM not wanting him or he not wanting to work with the new GM?

Also, if there really is tension in Patriot land; could Belichik try to get traded to the Giants.  If that happened, Skins would probably be the worst team in the division.

5 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Also, if there really is tension in Patriot land; could Belichik try to get traded to the Giants.  If that happened, Skins would probably be the worst team in the division.

Skins are likely the worst team in the division regardless of whether Belichick goes to NY.......if Eli sticks around. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If BB is available, you fire Gruden and offer the entire draft to the Patriots for his services.  He’s Lombardi, and he’d be Lombardi with a chip on his shoulder. And you give him complete control and get out of the damn way.

this isn’t a slight on Jay.  You don’t do that for any other coach.  Bill might be an insufferable jack ass, but I’d take him in less than 1 second.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I hope he finally gets his shot. It was close between him and Tomlin after Cowher retired, then he headed out to AZ. I wonder if they'll give him some consideration. He'd be a good hire, and can put together a damn good staff, too. A lot of teams seem to be aiming for the hot coordinators of the moment -- Shurmur, Schwartz -- but I hope Russ gets a shot.

Edited by skinzplay

14 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Hey PokerPacker, what about this report from PFT:

If Russ Ball is in, Mike McCarthy may be out

Could Mike McCarthy be on the way out. Either the new GM not wanting him or he not wanting to work with the new GM?

Well Ted Thompson moving away from GM certainly shakes things up.  A GM and a head coach do  need to be on the same page, so who knows what could happen.  That said, I think McCarthy will have a voice in who the next GM is, as will Ted Thompson.  It very well could be someone within the Packers organization already.  Plus McCarthy just received a contract extension during the season, so I still don't anticipate him departing.

With yet another playoff debacle, do the Chiefs consider “Marty-Ing” Reid like the Chargers did to Marty after a 14-2 season followed by another playoff loss? 

I doubt it, but at this point Reid’s playoff track record is a trend.  

Like Marty , he might be the second/third best regular season coach, but it just doesn’t work for him in the playoffs. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

With yet another playoff debacle, do the Chiefs consider “Marty-Ing” Reid like the Chargers did to Marty after a 14-2 season followed by another playoff loss? 

I doubt it, but at this point Reid’s playoff track record is a trend.  

Like Marty , he might be the second/third best regular season coach, but it just doesn’t work for him in the playoffs. 

I was just getting redy to post something along these same lines...wouldn't surprise me at ALL to see Reid fired. 

12 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If BB is available, you fire Gruden and offer the entire draft to the Patriots for his services.  He’s Lombardi, and he’d be Lombardi with a chip on his shoulder. And you give him complete control and get out of the damn way.

this isn’t a slight on Jay.  You don’t do that for any other coach.  Bill might be an insufferable jack ass, but I’d take him in less than 1 second.  

And he'd retire in less than 1 second. He is a living legend, and if the report is to be believed, he was planning on packing it in and retiring before too long, leaving the Patriots with a full cupboard. If the Pats wanted him out, I see absolutely no reason why he'd waste his time rebuilding a trashy team so close to his retirement. It would be Vince Lombardi 2.0, but without him actually wanting to come here.

Edited by NickyJ

12 hours ago, NickyJ said:

And he'd retire in less than 1 second. He is a living legend, and if the report is to be believed, he was planning on packing it in and retiring before too long, leaving the Patriots with a full cupboard. If the Pats wanted him out, I see absolutely no reason why he'd waste his time rebuilding a trashy team so close to his retirement. It would be Vince Lombardi 2.0, but without him actually wanting to come here.

Clearly you’d ask him first if he wanted to continue coaching.  

18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Is it just me or is it taking longer this year with hires?  I missed the Bear's hiring Matt Nagy.  

But it seems like it's taking longer this year.

And I'm somewhat surprised Reid didn't resign or get fired. I think if I was him, I might have resigned.  

It's only been a week.  I think 2 of the new coaches are the Pats' coordinators; so it could be after the Superbowl before those 2 coaches take jobs; The people teams want to hire, are probably still playing. 

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Is it just me or is it taking longer this year with hires?  I missed the Bear's hiring Matt Nagy.  

But it seems like it's taking longer this year.

And I'm somewhat surprised Reid didn't resign or get fired. I think if I was him, I might have resigned.  

Great Reid stat from over the weekend:

Kareem Hunt had 6 carries in the first quarter.

He had 5 carries in the last 3 quarters.

Edited by TryTheBeal!