Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Coaching Thread/Race to Black Monday: 1/6/25

88Comrade2000

I did at the time. He was my first choice.

Mine, too!  I think he got put in a horrible situation.  As bad as this team has been, the Titans are one of the teams that actually make us look good.  Whisenhunt didn't have much to work with in Tennessee.  He got a QB, but that QB got hurt.  I have a feeling that MM will pan out and be a very good to great QB in the next few years.  Not much Whisenhunt could do with him now as an injured rookie. Tennessee needs a lot of work, but it's not Kenny's fault.

So, anybody taking bets on who's next?

The top of my list is Caldwell in Detroit, Pagano in Indy, and Tomsula in SF.

Even though it's Tomsula's first year, I think the 49ers will want to bring in a more established coach. I don't know WTF happened to Detroit. They were a pretty good playoff team last year. I do like the Lions, but Caldwell should be fired with how they've regressed. Pagano is probably a dead man walking unless the Colts go on a run and finish better than 8-8, while winning the division.

Edited by ExoDus84

I don't see Tomsula being fired until the end of the season. The 49ers are a dumpster fire, and nothing AT ALL can save or salvage what is left of their season. It's a throwaway now, so I expect they'll ride him out, clean house next season, and start from scratch.

. Pagano is probably a dead man walking unless the Colts go on a run and finish better than 8-8, while winning the division.

Only a Superbowl appearance can save his job and that's not even a guarantee.  Pagano's contract is up; so he just won't be resigned.

Irsay expects a Superbowl appearance.  That's not happening.

I expect him to clean house at the end of the year and even fire the GM.

=======================================================================

You have a young QB. You are in a weak division.  The right coach can turn that around.

The Dolphins have a so-so QB.  A clueless owner.  In a division with the Pats.

=================================================================================

Jay Gruden actually, maybe breathing even more easier than I thought.   There's 2 openings so far. I mentioned 10 other potential openings, including the Skins. While I do expect a high number; don't think there will be 12 openings.

Given all the openings or potential openings this year; the completion for coaches is going to be fierce. That alone could buy Jay another year; if he finishes with 6-8 wins.

Edited by Rdskns2000

...I do like the Lions, but Caldwell should be fired with how they've regressed....

Pretty much like the Colts regressed while Caldwell was there. Dude is a marshmallow.

Colts 14-2, 10-6, 2-14

Lions 11-5, 1-7

He sucks. He never had to coach while Peyton was there and then when Peyton was out and he suddenly had to actually coach he was screwed. I don't know what happened in Detroit, but sort of the same pattern.

• Like 1

Kyle Shanahan is go My to be a HC next year. My bet would be in Tenn, though I could see him In Miami as well.

With the number of openings, he's going to get a bunch of interviews...

Considering the comparisons that people have made between Mariota and RG3-2012, it wouldn't be surprising. If he can make the most of Mariota like he did in '12, it would be fun watching them.

Given all the openings or potential openings this year; the completion for coaches is going to be fierce. That alone could buy Jay another year; if he finishes with 6-8 wins.

If Jay wins 6-8 games I think he should be off the hot seat completely, unless he loses the locker room somehow. 

Martin Mayhew and Tom Lewand just fired in Detroit.  Don't know how Caldwell is still hanging on.

I don't know how Caldwell still has a job.  Nothing about that guy inspires confidence.  Anytime they show him on the sidelines, he always seems to have a befuddled, confused look on his face, like he just woke up from a nap and found out he was named head coach of a professional football team while he was asleep. 

Edited by Mursilis
  • Like 1

I don't know how Caldwell still has a job.  Nothing about that guy inspires confidence.  Anytime they show him on the sidelines, he always seems to be a befuddled, confused look on his face, like he just woke up from a nap and found out he was named head coach of a professional football team while he was asleep. 

Seriously!  I don't see how any player could get inspired to play for him. He was just as bad in Indy.  IF he makes it the rest of the season, he'll be fired in January.

Edited by Taylor 36

I never knew how Caldwell got a head coaching job in the first place. His record at Wake Forest was 26-63. But then 9 years later he's an NFL head coach. He seems like a nice guy, but I also think he is a lame duck coach on a team that is looking to tank. It's a repeat of the Colts in 2011.

Kyle Shanahan is go My to be a HC next year. My bet would be in Tenn, though I could see him In Miami as well.

With the number of openings, he's going to get a bunch of interviews...

I've heard this a lot and I don't understand it.  He has not done a good job with the play calling down in Atlanta as their OC.  He doesn't get Roddy White involved, and goes away from the run game when it's working.  I know some Atlanta fans that would be very happy if he was a HC next year.

Edited by First Colony

• 2 weeks later...

The Hot Seat 2015- Week 11

Fired - Dolphins: Joe Philbin

Fired - Titans: Ken Whisenhut

1.  Browns: Mike Pettine at 2-8. Probably end up with #1 pick.  New coach for sure.

2.  Lions: Jim Caldwell at 3-7.  Even though they are playing better, he won't be back in 2016.

3.  Colts: Chuck Pagano at 5-5.  Probably, the only playoff participant who will change coaches. Irsay expected a Superbowl this year.

4.  Chargers: Mike Mccoy at 2-8. The future LA franchise, most likely will get a new coach.

5.  49ers: Jim Tomsula at 3-7.  York will admit his mistake & start over in 2016.

6.  Jaguars: Gus Bradley at 4-6.  Players a little better but 3 straight losing seasons should doom him.

7.  Eagles: Chip Kelly at 4-6. I don't see him being fired but he may just go back to college or maybe Tennessee to coach Mariota.

8.  Redskins: Jay Gruden at 4-6.  Hot seat cooled but he finishes poorly and he maybe gone. All 6 games are winnable.

9.  Giants: Tom Coughlin at 5-5. If he fails to make the playoffs, Tom will be forced to retire.

10.  Rams: Jeff Fisher at 4-6.  Playing better but not good enough. With LA a possibility, he could get the ax.

11.  Saints: Sean Peyton at 4-6.  No, he won't be fired but I think he will part ways with NO and coach elsewhere.

Will there be 13 openings? Probably not.  The number will be high though.

• 4 weeks later...

Just 2 weeks until Black Monday 2015.

The Race to Black Monday: 1/4/16- Week 15

Fired - Dolphins: Joe Philbin

Fired - Titans: Ken Whisenhut

1.  Browns: Mike Pettine at 3-11. Probably the first coach fired on Black Monday.

2.  Chargers: Mike Mccoy at 4-10. With team most likely in L.A. next year, new coach is coming!

3.  Giants: Tom Coughlin at 6-8.  No playoffs, Tom will be forced into retirement.

4.  Colts: Chuck Pagano at 6-8. He's not getting a new contract.

5.  Lions: Jim Caldwell at 5-9 if he wins tonight or 4-10 if he loses. I think, he's still done.

6.  Saints: Sean Peyton at 6-8 if he wins tonight or 5-9 if he loses.  I think he's allowed to leave and coach elsewhere.

Those 6 coaches, seem like certain bets to be unemployed on 1/4/16.

Potential changes

7.  49ers: Jim Tomsula at 4-10.  He should be gone but will York will admit his mistake & start over in 2016.?

8.  Jaguars: Gus Bradley at 5-9.  Have been playing better lately, may get another shot??

9.  Bills: Rex Ryan at 6-8.  Highly unlikely given the contract they gave him. You never know, Bills are worse this year.

10.  Rams: Jeff Fisher at 6-8.  May survive, with owner more concerned about L.A.

Edited by Rdskns2000