Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sports: Snyder, RG3 made mistakes, but this Redskins disaster is all Shanahan(s)

killerbee99

Here's the deal.... I'm with the "Shanny is the big problem here" crowd. 100%. However, that in itself is an indictment of Snyder. Yes, I'm ok with pinning this failure on the Shanny and friends, but that doesn't explain away the other 10+ years of failure under Snyder. He's hired five coaches now and assuming Shanny isn't here next year, none of them will have fulfilled their contracts for one reason or another.

I don't think its ill intentioned--- I think Snyder tries very hard and I think Shanny burned him. But the bottom line here is the results are consistent with the results long before Shanny arrived.

I guess it's the football mentality that there needs to be a winner and a loser in this; a good guy and a bad guy. Personally, I blame them all.

All of it makes total sense. Mike wasn't coming to DC without full control of everything in the building.

Had Dan pulled any power plays before this, Mike would have left with his money.

It is clear that this was a paycheck for Mike, and a chance to set up Kyle for a future job, and take care of his boy Slowick (who has been a miserable failure as an NFL coach)

The O staff keeping Matt LaFluer as QB coach is an utter joke

Here's the deal.... I'm with the "Shanny is the big problem here" crowd. 100%. However, that in itself is an indictment of Snyder. Yes, I'm ok with pinning this failure on the Shanny and friends, but that doesn't explain away the other 10+ years of failure under Snyder. He's hired five coaches now and assuming Shanny isn't here next year, none of them will have fulfilled their contracts for one reason or another.

I don't think its ill intentioned--- I think Snyder tries very hard and I think Shanny burned him. But the bottom line here is the results are consistent with the results long before Shanny arrived.

I guess it's the football mentality that there needs to be a winner and a loser in this; a good guy and a bad guy. Personally, I blame them all.

I agree Kleese.

Dan Snyder has been the root cause of failure with this organization since he took over it. 

In this case, the failure is on him for hiring Shanahan and giving him the key to the city with no accountability.

Snyder needs to do exactly what JLC says here, get a legit GM, who hires the coach, and give clear lines of accountability.

Until he does that, every 2-4 years we'll have the same circus. 

I agree Kleese.

Dan Snyder has been the root cause of failure with this organization since he took over it. 

In this case, the failure is on him for hiring Shanahan and giving him the key to the city with no accountability.

Snyder needs to do exactly what JLC says here, get a legit GM, who hires the coach, and give clear lines of accountability.

I think this might be the thing that gets us there, though. Snyder is no idiot. He has to understand that everything to this point has failed. At least right now he has a franchise QB who is just 23 ... a backup who could have decent trade value ... and about $48 million in cap space to start once players are cut or not brought back. It's a good place to start to have someone come in who knows what they're actually doing ... and set things in motion. I think he has to understand that.

I think this might be the thing that gets us there, though. Snyder is no idiot. He has to understand that everything to this point has failed. At least right now he has a franchise QB who is just 23 ... a backup who could have decent trade value ... and about $48 million in cap space to start once players are cut or not brought back. It's a good place to start to have someone come in who knows what they're actually doing ... and set things in motion. I think he has to understand that.

It is, but as Zoony has alluded to, Snyder has no idea how to manage people.

This is a guy who at age 34 became the owner of the team. His business experience prior to owning the team was essentially riding the 1990s tech boom and selling out on top. He sold a bunch of crap products and then sold his overvalued company.

He never had to "manage" anybody or any egos. He just hired and fired, never developed.

That is the big issue with Dan and has been demonstrated throughout his ownership. He isn't a builder or manager, he is a salesman. He sells hope, he sells big names with the Redskins.

If he really understands at age 50 that you need to build and develop, not buy and sell, this team has some hope.

I just don't think Dan Snyder is that bright of a guy. But he is a fantastic salesman

yep.

JLC is a legit reporter now.

Except for when he insisted during the NFL Network draft coverage that we were going to trade up to get Gabbert. Then when Gabbert was sitting there for us at 10 insisted that we were going to pick him there. Only to hem and haw after we traded out of the pick and the Jags took him. 

But he did seem to nail this story.

I think you're selling lil' Danny short (no pun intended) SHF to allude to him being 'not that bright of a guy' to take the final step as it where.

Snyders an exceptionally bright guy who has let his heart rule his head more often than not. Granted, that in itself isn't too bright with these high stakes at play. But I truly believe the last 4 years have shown him as much as anyone what he now needs to do after proving to himself he can be a respectable, 'proper' owner.

I FULLY expect the first point of business when he does finally swallow his pride and can the POS and his son will be to move Allen into a VP role (I'd personally like to see him leaving too as he's neither use nor ornament as he's shown yet again by his abscence the last week as the rat went rogue. But a position of title and little else seems the compromise best for Dan); and then a GM handed the keys to do it his way.

I may be wrong, but I still have a lot of faith that Dan will now go down the path he initially should of with better advice and ultimately turn this full circle to be remembered as the best owner we've ever had.

The brighter tomorrow will wipe away the sins of the past.

3 more weeks.

Hail.

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet: One thing clear from talking to #Redskins coaches. They all think they're getting fired, though no official word has come down.

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet: Surveyed 6 GMs to see what #Redskins could get if they traded Cousins. Everyone believes a 2nd, not a 1st. Audition time.

I agree Kleese.

Thing is, will he?  Does Dan Snyder finally realize that?  Or are we about to get the next Jim Zorn?    Frankly, Dan just needs to eat the money now so we can go on the search for the next guy.  If we are going to go the GM route; then we need to do that now.

True.

Folks think we are on some sort of "Looney Express" right now, but those that have been around since the late '90s know that we have been on this ride before. Long before Shanahan got here.

Shanahan may not last here, but he is just the latest conductor of the "crazy train". There has, however been one consistent engineer, and that is Snyder. Investigate deep enough, and you'll see he has a hand in all of the derailments.

Okay so here's the situation ... we have a young backup that we can flip, if the season were to end right now without him seeing the field, for a 2nd rounder. That aint bad. Recoup some picks (or pick). Upside is he plays well, showcases a bit, and convinces one of the teams with a late 1st to make a move on him.

Do we trade him for a Top 15 pick if he plays well in these 3 games? No. Will a team like the Cleveland Browns, with Indy's pick, opt to trade that for Cousins rather than reach for someone around 13-14? Possibly. Would a team like Houston, interested in getting a quick-fix young QB to go with the solid team they have built, want to trade their early 2nd and possibly 3rd (to equal a 1st value) to get Cousins? Put Cousins in that offense and trade down from the 1st pick to get some other talent? Hell yeah.

One thing I think that could happen if Houston gets the #1 overall pick ... they are a pretty built team ... they may opt to go with the more ready option in Cousins rather than go Bridgewater #1. Trade down from #1 and possibly get another 2nd to replace the one they trade for Cousins.

So Houston could trade #1 to someone desperate for a QB ... get a 2nd ... trade their 2nd and 3rd for Cousins ... and essentially have their franchise QB for a 3rd rounder. Almost seems like a no-brainer for them.

Here's to Kirk playing well so something like that could happen.

The EGO of the Shanahans have ruined this organization. The worst part is Kyle Shanahan has NO reason to have a damn ego, he had the #1 QB, the #1 receiver in the NFL and the Texans never made the playoffs until he left. As soon as Kyle left the Texans hit the playoffs the following season. Take a hike with Daddy Kyle! 

There has, however been one consistent engineer, and that is Snyder. Investigate deep enough, and you'll see he has a hand in all of the derailments.

true enough about past coaches, etc. 

how is he to blame for this past failure?

One thing I'm seeing, which is really annoying, is that some of the same posters who claim they "don't do speculation" when anyone mentions Snyder or anything else for that matter that may show the Shanahan's in a positive light; totally follow and believe it with all their heart when it suits their feelings and agendas.

Don't get me wrong, it goes the other way too. But not nearly as much. I'm just seeing a lot of craziness right now, with little substance behind it. Just agendas.  

This is all really, really stupid right now. The one thing I'm absolutely sure of is that all of the characters in this play have their share of blame, and it's pretty equally distributed. Including Robert.    

true enough about past coaches, etc. 

how is he to blame for this past failure?

That's the $64,000 question, isn't it?

My guess is, we simply don't know the whole story yet. It will probably come out in bits and parts or in whole sometime in the next year during the offseason.

We shall see.

True.

Folks think we are on some sort of "Looney Express" right now, but those that have been around since the late '90s know that we have been on this ride before. Long before Shanahan got here.

Shanahan may not last here, but he is just the latest conductor of the "crazy train". There has, however been one consistent engineer, and that is Snyder. Investigate deep enough, and you'll see he has a hand in all of the derailments.

Excellent use of the train theme. Well done :)

That's the $64,000 question, isn't it?

My guess is, we simply don't know the whole story yet. It will probably come out in bits and parts or in whole sometime in the next year during the offseason.

We shall see.

believe me, if it comes out dan has been meddling in personnel decisions, we'll all be pissed. 

i think if he had been, something would have come out by now, considering shannys connectons and the fact he had all the power over personnel. 

dan may be a douche, but until proven otherwise, shanny is the engineer behind the wheel of this trainwreck. 

edit - didnt purposely bandwagon the train theme :)

Archived