Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS Sports: Snyder, RG3 made mistakes, but this Redskins disaster is all Shanahan(s)

killerbee99

Kyle is lieing.  This is planned strategy by the Shanahans.  Trust me.  Sunday night after the K.C. debacle those two talked.   They talked about how their legacy is being tarnished.  So they concocted this bench Griff strategy.   However, "Dad I have to be my own man.   I have to act like I was against the benching."  

"I agree son.  It's important that you seperate yourself from this.  After all, you're still trying to kraft your NFL coaching legacy."

"You know, dad . . . this is much like McNabb debacle as well.  If Kirk can get this team finishing strong and prove we know how to galvanize a team, we will be able to throw everyone under the boss.  Snyder  for being meddlesome and Griff's diva personality.  So do what you need to do -- and I will act like I'm against it.   Good thinking dad.  What are you going to do now."

"I'm going to go tan my face some more."

Burgundy shoe polish is fooling no one that is paying attention.

I have long suspected the ShanaEgos were top of the line. Kyle too of course. Father Knows Best.

I bet RG3 can't wait for a new OC. The entire team must despise the favoritism his son gets.

Nice spin by Mike though, claiming it was Dan at the root of all problems. biglaugh.gif

That is sooooo 2003. Old news. Dan cleaned up his act long ago and we all know this when he gave control to Mike.

Bummer we will never get the real story. I feel really bad for RG3 though. Mike completely pulled the plug on our star player and said it was best for him. Really.  You cannot make this stuff up.

Its sad people believe Mike is still best for our team, ignoring the huge mess this team is in front of their own eyes cry.gif

Yeah, because your HC isn't creating that drama for them on a daily basis and dragging your teams name through the VERY public mud whilst decimating it as best he can as a parting gift.

No, it is pretty much the people that are "all in for drama". There are some people that just love drama. it is why lavar and dukes have an audience. it is why grown men tune into pro wrestling. it is why anyone would even read the Washington Post sports section...and not just about the skins. they'd probably be just as melodramatic about the rest of their life but nobody gives a **** about that so they **** and moan here. problem is they shot too big of a load too early in this season.

true enough about past coaches, etc.

how is he to blame for this past failure?

Coaches don't just all of the sudden want to pack up and roll out after a winning season and a division title. He screwed this up somehow , unfortunately for Shanny, he is taking the beating right now from this lopsided reporting.

One thing I'm seeing, which is really annoying, is that some of the same posters who claim they "don't do speculation" when anyone mentions Snyder or anything else for that matter that may show the Shanahan's in a positive light; totally follow and believe it with all their heart when it suits their feelings and agendas.

Don't get me wrong, it goes the other way too. But not nearly as much. I'm just seeing a lot of craziness right now, with little substance behind it. Just agendas.  

This is all really, really stupid right now. The one thing I'm absolutely sure of is that all of the characters in this play have their share of blame, and it's pretty equally distributed. Including Robert.    

You're not alone in this. Posters can't stand JLC until he writes something that they want to hear. Then they say that he's changed. JLC just regurgitated all of the rumors that have been posted for the last 10 days. All that you need to do is look at the title of the article. "Snyder, RG3 made mistakes, but this disaster is all on the Shanahan(s)". What? If Snyder and RG3 have made mistakes, how is the disaster all on the Shanahans? Even the title doesn't make any sense.

believe me, if it comes out dan has been meddling in personnel decisions, we'll all be pissed. 

i think if he had been, something would have come out by now, considering shannys connectons and the fact he had all the power over personnel. 

dan may be a douche, but until proven otherwise, shanny is the engineer behind the wheel of this trainwreck. 

edit - didnt purposely bandwagon the train theme :)

JLC on the radio last night said the same.  If poor supposedly weak willed Shanny was foisted the RG3 trade on him by Danny, JLC said we'd know about it in real time.   Maybe Shanny should have leaked that story during the playoff run, yeah RG3 is a stud and carrying the team on his back, but I never wanted the dude.  Nope it comes out when he had some bad games and he is struggling.

Shanny's ammo when the chips are down to say its not him and find scapegoats.  What's the next leak, RG3 pushed for Keith Burns to be the special teams coach.  Or the special teams had a brilliant game plan for the KC Chiefs game, and to celebrate they went out to dinner, but it all fell apart and morale collapsed when they ran into Danny there buying RG3 a steak -- and Danny wouldn't even say hello to them.   

I don't get the people who think because of what JLC has wrote in the past we're not supposed to believe him now. He has no dog in this fight so how is he letting Snyder and Griffin off the hook. The fact is that he's telling the truth but the people who have directed all their venom toward Snyder and especially Griffin don't want to hear it. They just want to hear that Snyder is still just a meddling owner who although he gave a coach a $35M dollar contract and full control of the franchise he's still telling that coach what QB's to trade draft picks for. They also just want to hear that Griffin is a arrogant uppity QB who was coddled and needed to be put in his place when the only thing he's really guilty of is speaking honestly and not being the robotic drone that Shanahan envisioned at QB. Sorry that JLC, Micheal Irvin, John Madden and others hit you with a reality check that Mike Shanahan is full of BS.

17 more days until Shanahan is gone.

Coaches don't just all of the sudden want to pack up and roll out after a winning season and a division title. He screwed this up somehow , unfortunately for Shanny, he is taking the beating right now from this lopsided reporting.

agreed that coaches dont normally want to roll out a year after winning the division (or, hours after winning the division, if you believe that report).

but i dont automatically think its cuz of dans meddling. there is no way shanny would allow it. no way in hell hes letting dan pick his players, even though this latest report by silver is claiming dan was behind RG3. laughable.

heres what i think is the reason(s) shanny wants to leave-

1) Qb he hand picked (and gave a ransom for) doesnt like him or his son (per schefter, and everyone else), the relationship is beyond repair. you cant get rid of the QB, , youre not firing the OC cuz hes your son,so you have to go. 

2) he has now failed with 4 QB's he has picked- rex, beck (bet my rep on him), mcnabb and griff. now, of course, cousins is his last opportunity to show he can get a QB to play for him. 

3) D and ST are coached by guys he picked. they are terrrible. he doesnt want to get rid of them, as that is admitting he picked the wrong guys. shannys ego wont allow that. 

4) we have won 3 games in his 4th year, again, with really bad play from the D, horrible ST, and an underacheiving O that cant score. 

IMO, all of these reasons add up to "im getting out of here now cuz i can blame dan or the salary cap for my failure, oh, and i still get paid and my son is still a great OC, we just have a prima donna QB who didnt listen to him"

So someone clear me up on this

if Snyder fired Shanny now, he owes him 7 mill

So what happens after the season? Doesn't he still owe him 7 mill?

Why not just do it now and avoid all the awkwardness on the sideline?

I have this awful suspicion that Snyder is too angry at Shanahan to fire him, thereby giving him a nice $7M parting gift.  He may decide to just hold him to the final year of his contract and force him to quit, which would mean giving up the $7M for the final year.  I suspect these two men are playing chicken right now, just waiting to see who blinks first. 

Can you imagine how painful it is for RG3 to work for both Mike and Kyle. I feel sorry for him, rubbing his face in the dirt, sorry kid, you are inactive.

Yeah Kyle did RG3 a favor and FINALLY let his QB take snaps from pistol/shotgun.  Before that as you all know, Kyle the OC guru shunned shotgun and even hurry up, which have been staples on all the offensive power houses league wide for a decade.

Kyle by FINALLY catering his offense to his QB by getting him out from under the centers every freaking play, coupled with the D cranking it up late, gets into the playoffs. This year, it was back to my way or the highway, the offense was horrid all year, and they are pretending like its RG3s fault of course.

Remember those opening plays in New Orleans, when RG3 was able to make reads at the line, packaged plays?

I have a theory. Kyle stripped his ability to do pretty much anything at the LOS because it was clear RG3 was stealing his show. Kyle quickly lost control of exactly what was happening on the field and pulled the plug on it fast. Ignoring the dominance of RG3 when allowed those freedoms combined with a quick short passing game, Kyle started implementing plays that did not cater to Roberts strengths. I am sure he would tell you Robert had to learn. Not him. Bunk. We are trying to win a super bowl not ruin a QB.

The run game and play action got us through the end of last year once the packaged plays got the ax, and now that defenses adjusted to the run game and PA, Kyle's play calls have been dead in the water. Stubborn as his dad, refusing to address the issue and let Robert do his best things that I have seen, packaged plays and quick passing.

And here we are, their solution was to bench RG3. 

It's unbelievable.

Many of us found fault with Kyle all year long and we were met with resistance "its the defense, man!" Kyle got a little slack from me for FINALLY using hurry up, but it was maybe one series every other game. Big ****ing deal.

Our offense sucked yet was outscored by our sucky defense for first halves for much of the year.

Get the 2 clowns out of here.

Can you imagine how painful it is for RG3 to work for both Mike and Kyle. I feel sorry for him, rubbing his face in the dirt, sorry kid, you are inactive.

Yeah Kyle did RG3 a favor and FINALLY let his QB take snaps from pistol/shotgunBefore that as you all know, Kyle the OC guru shunned shotgun and even hurry up, which have been staples on all the offensive power houses league wide for a decade.

Kyle by FINALLY catering his offense to his QB by getting him out from under the centers every freaking play, coupled with the D cranking it up late, gets into the playoffs. This year, it was back to my way or the highway, the offense was horrid all year, and they are pretending like its RG3s fault of course.

Remember those opening plays in New Orleans, when RG3 was able to make reads at the line, packaged plays?

I have a theory. Kyle stripped his ability to do pretty much anything at the LOS because it was clear RG3 was stealing his show. Kyle quickly lost control of exactly what was happening on the field and pulled the plug on it fast. Ignoring the dominance of RG3 when allowed those freedoms combined with a quick short passing game, Kyle started implementing plays that did not cater to Roberts strengths. I am sure he would tell you Robert had to learn. Not him. Bunk. We are trying to win a super bowl not ruin a QB.

The run game and play action got us through the end of last year once the packaged plays got the ax, and now that defenses adjusted to the run game and PA, Kyle's play calls have been dead in the water. Stubborn as his dad, refusing to address the issue and let Robert do his best things that I have seen, packaged plays and quick passing.

It's unbelievable.

Many of us found fault with Kyle all year long and we were met with resistance "its the defense, man!" Kyle got a little slack from me for FINALLY using hurry up, but it was maybe one series every other game. Big ****ing deal.

Our offense sucked yet was outscored by our sucky defense for first halves for much of the year.

WOW. I likey. You nailed it. Thank you.

Hail

Here's the deal.... I'm with the "Shanny is the big problem here" crowd. 100%. However, that in itself is an indictment of Snyder. Yes, I'm ok with pinning this failure on the Shanny and friends, but that doesn't explain away the other 10+ years of failure under Snyder. He's hired five coaches now and assuming Shanny isn't here next year, none of them will have fulfilled their contracts for one reason or another.

I don't think its ill intentioned--- I think Snyder tries very hard and I think Shanny burned him. But the bottom line here is the results are consistent with the results long before Shanny arrived.

I guess it's the football mentality that there needs to be a winner and a loser in this; a good guy and a bad guy. Personally, I blame them all.

I think Snyder had the right thought but wrong structure if that makes sense.  He gave all power to shanahan for all things football.  I am of the mindset that the coach should not be the gm and should only have input to personal aquisitions not the final say.

I think if shanny lets sets up a traditional structure and gives a gm the all power (and i dont know who the new young hot shot is at the moment) and gives him the power as JLC said it would work out better.

Im pissed at snyder for the 10 year he owned the team but as a fan i cant say i wouldnt have done the same thing if i bought the team.  But he seems to be trying to move to a proper structure well see if he continues to learn from his mistake.

agreed that coaches dont normally want to roll out a year after winning the division (or, hours after winning the division, if you believe that report).

but i dont automatically think its cuz of dans meddling. there is no way shanny would allow it. no way in hell hes letting dan pick his players, even though this latest report by silver is claiming dan was behind RG3. laughable.

heres what i think is the reason(s) shanny wants to leave-

1) Qb he hand picked (and gave a ransom for) doesnt like him or his son (per schefter, and everyone else), the relationship is beyond repair. you cant get rid of the QB, , youre not firing the OC cuz hes your son,so you have to go. 

2) he has now failed with 4 QB's he has picked- rex, beck (bet my rep on him), mcnabb and griff. now, of course, cousins is his last opportunity to show he can get a QB to play for him. 

3) D and ST are coached by guys he picked. they are terrrible. he doesnt want to get rid of them, as that is admitting he picked the wrong guys. shannys ego wont allow that. 

4) we have won 3 games in his 4th year, again, with really bad play from the D, horrible ST, and an underacheiving O that cant score. 

IMO, all of these reasons add up to "im getting out of here now cuz i can blame dan or the salary cap for my failure, oh, and i still get paid and my son is still a great OC, we just have a prima donna QB who didnt listen to him"

Don't forget he shipped Campbell out of here before he really even had a chance to work with him. I don't see how Campbell would've been any worse than McNabb/Rex/Beck and it wouldn't have cost any draft picks or being mocked for going with Rex/Beck.

You're not alone in this. Posters can't stand JLC until he writes something that they want to hear. Then they say that he's changed. JLC just regurgitated all of the rumors that have been posted for the last 10 days. All that you need to do is look at the title of the article. "Snyder, RG3 made mistakes, but this disaster is all on the Shanahan(s)". What? If Snyder and RG3 have made mistakes, how is the disaster all on the Shanahans? Even the title doesn't make any sense.

LOL

JLC the Ravens fan who was hired by the post to write uncomplimentary articles about the Redskins and who is frequently wrong on what he writes, writes and article that some board members on here like and suddenly JLC knows what he is talking about.

I wonder did Shanny make those leaks about Kyle to JLC :lol:

There has been a lot of "leaking" by a number of combatant sides.  Since Danny took over there is ALWAYS a "leak"

But people are idiots if the don't think Shanny is 100% of the problem and want to blame multiple people.

Enjoy your JLC.

true enough about past coaches, etc. 

how is he to blame for this past failure?

Here's my take. If Snyder had a track record of success in the NFL (on and off the field) and then out of the blue had a puzzling disaster that you weren't sure who to pin on, you might say to your self "ok, this disaster is an anomaly and not his fault. He gets the benefit of the doubt".   Unfortunately though I don't think his track record affords him the benefit of the doubt.

Here's Shaun King, former Bucs QB. I guess some of you will believe he's not telling the truth either and he's just a Snyder mouthpiece and RG3 fanboy. (By the way King is huge now)

http://www.nbcsports.com/football/nfl/sportsdash-shanahan-deceiving-public

good lord. i thought you meant he'd been lifting.

lifting twinkies to his mouth, maybe. 

Here's my take. If Snyder had a track record of success in the NFL (on and off the field) and then out of the blue had a puzzling disaster that you weren't sure who to pin on, you might say to your self "ok, this disaster is an anomaly and not his fault. He gets the benefit of the doubt".   Unfortunately though I don't think his track record affords him the benefit of the doubt.

i totally get that.

snyder has been horrible as an owner. except maybe with schotty and gibbs to some extent- hes been involved. 

but the problem isnt that hes just owned the team, its that hes been involved. we were on the right track witch schotty, but he wanted to be involved- marty said no, so dan fired him. gibbs is obviously a great football coach who dan adored, so he let him do his thing and we had some success, but he retired and dan got involved again.

no way did shanny take this job allowing danny to be involved. he made dan move his office out of redskin park, for petes sake. there is just no way on earth shanny allows it. 

weve all wanted to dan to take his hands off the team, and he did. he didnt do things the way he had. he didnt pick the players or the staff - after mike. mike did. 

while dan has a horrible track record, no question- in this case, he did the right thing by hiring a guy to run things. dan just hired the wrong guy. 

wow, kornheiser- who hates snyder- just said 'you cannot fault the owner on this. you cannot'

the apocalypse is upon us.

while dan has a horrible track record, no question- in this case, he did the right thing by hiring a guy to run things. dan just hired the wrong guy. 

Yup, I agree that tactically this mess in on Shannahan. Strategically its on Snyder.

I think the ideal situation is when you have an owner who is a great organizational leader.  Someone who you WANT to be involved to some degree in making the big decisions. Someone who puts a team in place, then inspires them to greatness (with carrot or stick). Snyder isn't that guy and its hurt us. We need great leadership at the top.

Mike Shanahan apparently lost it earlier. Around word one when he couldn't see one of his leaks in it, 

Then they wouldn't be a source of much use as they doubtless wouldn't be in a job for very long. 

No problem with anonymous sources if the journalist has put the leg work in. 

Hail. 

This entire time you've been calling out Shanahan for being the leak of most of these stories, which again have done nothing to help Shanahan at all.  But since he's an evil genius and master manipulator this must just be one of those few times that he has failed.

How do you have no problem with anonymous leaks when it's apparent you are attributing the vast majority of them to some evil Shanahan plot where he is the anonymous leak?

Isn't it possible these anonymous leaks also have an agenda?

Again if an investigation shows that Shanahan was indeed the leak then fine.  I am already on the fire Shanahan side and have been for a while, but it's because of his record not because I jumped on every rumor coming out of the media.

Are you seriously contending that Kyle literally called plays that he knew RG3 was bad at because he thought RG3 was getting more praise then him?  Is that literally where we are at, where Kyle is forcing his offense to suck because he wants to be more highly regarded as an offensive coordinator?  In what way does this make any sense whatsoever?  "I will call plays so the offense looks bad because then I will look good."

Unbelievable.

Every offensive coordinator wants his quarterback to steal the show. You're posts are increasingly ridiculous and you have lost all credibility with your crazy conspiracy theories.

Can you imagine how painful it is for RG3 to work for both Mike and Kyle. I feel sorry for him, rubbing his face in the dirt, sorry kid, you are inactive.........I have a theory. Kyle stripped his ability to do pretty much anything at the LOS because it was clear RG3 was stealing his show. Kyle quickly lost control of exactly what was happening on the field and pulled the plug on it fast. Ignoring the dominance of RG3 when allowed those freedoms combined with a quick short passing game, Kyle started implementing plays that did not cater to Roberts strengths. I am sure he would tell you Robert had to learn. Not him. Bunk. We are trying to win a super bowl not ruin a QB.

It's unbelievable.

I don't think Kyle's problem's on offense are ego, the ego comes in how he handles lack of production.

I think Kyle's problem is ability. He's not there yet as an OC. Kyle needs to grow as an OC. In Houston he was handed the keys to a ready made offense. They had all the pieces and were already a very productive unit before (and since) he took over as OC/playcaller. He was groomed in one system and that's all he knows.

And imo that why he loves Rex. Rex prolly understands the offense was well as Kyle. But Kyle has nevered had to teach or adapt the offense and the process is hard for him. I speculate its hard for him to compromise/teach because the offense is second nature to him and everyone he's worked with has been in the same system. And to top it off his dad is the HC. I imagine in most places when the OC complains to the HC about the QB then HC tells him to get bent make it work. Here the QB is probably told to get bent make it work.

The offense they designed last year was brilliant (I'm sure Mike had alot to do with being an option QB and coming up in the OU coaching chain). But it wasn't like Baylor's offense at all. Baylor wasn't pistol formation read-option/triple option. Baylor was zone-read air-raid. The defenses adjusted to the 2012 offense better then Kyle anticipated and he struggled with how to adapt the offense, and wasn't prepared for the adjustments, didn't know how to relate and communicate with Griffin, probably didn't listen to Griffin. He was stuck. He couldn't piece together a consistent gameplan. He was grab bagging the offense had no identity other then read-option play-action which WAS NOT working anywhere close to last year. The offense would be all or nothing: 3 TEs or none, all pitches, all inside runs, all stretch runs, a bunch of screens, no screens etc. I'm sure Kyle felt pressure. You have the rookie of the year at QB and the offense isn't working. This is where things went sideways. He can't get the offense going and Griffin knows which plays aren't working because he's the one left holding the bag on game days. Frustration ensues. A strong willed person like Griffin probably made suggestions. An frustrated, searching proud OC doesn't listen and his prolly a little pissed he's being questioned. There is no spirit of compromise on Kyle's end because his dad is the OC where is the 3rd party for the QB to talk with? At least that's how I see it.

But you know what? Griffin and the offense are a side story. I used to believe Kyle/Griffin relationship wasn't lost. You higher Phillip Montgomery or some other spread offense coach as QB coach or something and try again. The real story is the LEAGUE WORST SPECIAL TEAMs and THE LEAGUE WORST DEFENSE.

If Mike wasn't a prick there was a way out. Fire Burns during the season. Fire Haslett offseason.

Hire another coach on offense. And smooth things out between Shanny's/Griffin.

But that ship has sailed....

:(

Archived