Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Top 5 finishes in college football history

Sticksboi05

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/11/30/ranking-the-five-best-college-football-finishes-of-all-time/3792641/

ome college football games end without any drama, coming to a close with a whimper as the winner assumes the victory formation. Others end with a bang, with one team pulling out a late stand, a late score, a Hail Mary, a miracle.

And others end in such a fashion that it's immediately obvious that history has occurred – like the 2013 Iron Bowl, which ended with Auburn defensive back Chris Davis returning a missed Alabama field goal more than 105 yards for the game-winning touchdown as time expired.

GAME STORY: No. 5 Auburn stuns No. 1 Alabama

What made this year's rivalry memorable wasn't just the ending, as amazing as it was, but also the stakes: Auburn met Alabama to decide the Southeastern Conference West Division, a berth in the SEC title game and a potential national championship.

The 2013 Iron Bowl fits snugly into the greatest finishes in college football history, along with a select handful of others. While there are many contenders for the list, here are the five most memorable, amazing, pinch-me-I'm-dreaming finishes in the history of the sport:

1. "Hail Flutie": Boston College at Miami (Fla.), Nov. 23, 1984

2. "The Play": Stanford at California, Nov. 20, 1982

3. "The Miracle at Michigan": Colorado at Michigan, Sept. 24, 1994

4. "Kick, 'Bama, Kick": Alabama at Auburn, Nov. 30, 2013

5. "Statue Left": Boise State vs. Oklahoma, Jan. 1, 2007

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you agree with USA Today's list?

Maybe I'm just caught up in the moment, but I think Auburn/Bama should be #1 on that list due to the perfect storm of improbability that was needed for the failed FG to be returned. 

1 sec put back on the clock

Returner coming THAT close to stepping out.

It was insane. 

If we're going strictly off the 'finish' of the game I don't know if the Boise St-Oklahoma game falls into this list.  That said, that game was easily the best football game I've ever watched where I didn't have a deep interest in either team-- but that was more because of the everything that happened after OU's last regulation touchdown, not just the last play of the game.

I can't really argue the list though.

I don't think you can reasonably put anything ahead of The Play.  I wasn't old enough to appreciate Hail Flutie when it happened, but that's obviously one that's stood the test of time.  I'd bump this up to 3rd on their list, ahead of Colorado/Mich.  Part of it also is that I think it makes it a "better" finish when the home team wins, and you get the crowd freak out and field-storming instead of the stunned silence. 

Also, how strict do you want to be with "best finish"?  In the Rose Bowl game between USC and Texas (Young / Leinart), Texas scored the go-ahead td, in one of the best college fb games ever, with like 10 seconds left.  If that counts as a finish, I'd say it's #2.

I also believe The Play is still number one.  What happened on Saturday could happen again, hail mary's have happened multiple times, but the entire marching band accidentally impeding the culmination of what, six laterals, and a couple of uncalled penalties?  That will never, ever happen again.  Auburn-Alabama was great because of the stakes at hand, national title hopes and the one second put back on the clock.  It is surely in the top five, I'd put it above the Kordell Stewart hail mary.

Personally, I think the "Prayer at Jordan-Hare" is a better game ending (I know..30 or so seconds left) play than the Miracle at Michigan.

BTW - what differentiates this past weekend's play is that the game was tied. It was going to OT on the missed FG.

In both #1 and #2, the team that made the play was behind.

I don't know if anything can top Saturday for combination of everything. It was utterly improbable. Ridiculously exciting. And played a direct role in this year's national championship.

The Flutie play is great but it was a game between two 8-win teams.

The Play is wildly entertaining, but it was a game featuring a 5-5 team and a 6-4 team.

I would be tempted to put the Miracle at Michigan at #2 just because of how freaking far Kordell Stewart threw that ball. That ended up an 11-win team as well.

The game last week was amazing on so many levels, including the No. 1 rank of Alabama and the great rivalry.  I watched both Hail Flutie and the Miracle at Michigan as they happened, and both were fantastic.  

But I'm sorry.  Nothing beats the Play.   Nothing can ever be a ridiculous as the Play.  I don't care if neither of those teams had won a game all season, it's No. 1 forever.  (seriously, the last blind lateral is so perfect it's like God himself drew up the play) 

I would be tempted to put the Miracle at Michigan at #2 just because of how freaking far Kordell Stewart threw that ball. That ended up an 11-win team as well.

I just watched that video on youtube. Stewart let it go from his own 26 yard line, and it went pretty much to the goal line before being deflected.  74 yards?!  Insane. 

Had the final TD in the Auburn Georgia game happened with 30 few seconds on the clock it would make the list.  We've seen Hail Mary's work before but rarely like this and for the go ahead TD?  Incredible.

http://youtu.be/Gf5jnajTKJI

Sure "The Play" will always be number 1 on any reasonable list.  Like Predicto said the last lateral was something you'd see in basketball, never football, and the band was on the field.  It even had a nice exclamation point put on it by crushing that last unfortunate musician in the end zone. 

But could they do it twice?  

Auburn had two miracle finishes in a row, neither of which should have happened, and I think this isn't getting enough attention.  I've never heard of a team pulling off a play that defies the odds and then immediately doubling down and topping it the very next week.    

I don't know if anything can top Saturday for combination of everything. It was utterly improbable. Ridiculously exciting. And played a direct role in this year's national championship.

The Flutie play is great but it was a game between two 8-win teams.

The Play is wildly entertaining, but it was a game featuring a 5-5 team and a 6-4 team.

Those are excellent points, and for those reasons I consider, even though its early, Alabama-Auburn to be #2 now, just past Flutie. But as Predicto said, you just can't beat The Play. 

Archived