Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

deadspin: Trent Williams Says Ref Called Him A "Disrespectful Mother******"

Destino

So players don't mouth off to refs at all times during the game?  Professional behaviour should be observed all around.

No question. But officials should be ABOVE anything REGARDLESS. Officials are the law enforcers. They can't be dragged down to that level. It's akin to a teacher/ student relationship. Or a cop/ member of the public relationship. Both teachers and cops get terrible abuse but the position their in precludes them from reacting in the same punk ass way. 

If players go over the top, deal with it and punish them. You CAN'T react if you're in that position, You just can't. 

Hail. 

I'm tired of hurt feelings and people being offended in the NFL. Grow the **** up and play football like a man and win a ****ing game. My god.

That fine and well, you're allowed to feel whatever you want. That doesn't mean this isn't an issue. You need to learn to separate the problems with this team. Just because we suck (and Trent is not one of the reasons we suck), that doesn't mean this is okay, no matter how severe your tunnel vision right now.

So players don't mouth off to refs at all times during the game?  Professional behaviour should be observed all around.

Possibly, but the players are the ones playing the game. You expect them to be emotional, fired up, and going through ups and downs that can lead to outbursts.

Refs are supposed to be above it all, OTOH. They shouldn't be getting emotional about things and taking sides.

Just heard Trent talking about this and to say he's pissed is an understatement. And rightly so. There's ZERO way an official should EVER lower themselves to get involved in that ****. 

Keim's tweeting that a lot of other players have backed Trent up from both sides too. 

The NFL HAVE to act on this one if it's as damning as it appears on Ellison. 

Hail. 

Full-time responsibilities or perhaps fines to be applied to officials now?

So what is the punishment for that kind of behavior? I imagine he'll get a bonus check for standing up to a Redskins player.

He will get a talking to. In an unrelated story, Trent Williams has been suspended for the rest of the season for cursing to the media.

I'm tired of hurt feelings and people being offended in the NFL. Grow the **** up and play football like a man and win a ****ing game. My god.

You do realize that the NFL doesn't want players cursing at refs an vice versa? Especially considering the refs should be the most even-keeled non-partial entity on the field.  

You do realize that the NFL doesn't want players cursing at refs an vice versa? Especially considering the refs should be the most even-keeled non-partial entity on the field.  

This is just a distraction from what really matters - how ****ty this football team is.

I don't care if a ref mouthed off at Trent. Chances are he probably deserved it.

This is just a distraction from what really matters - how ****ty this football team is.

I don't care if a ref mouthed off at Trent. Chances are he probably deserved it.

Well Trent does care, so does the team, fans, and NFL. Sounds like you're on your own.

Regardless of how ****ty this team has played, refs just simply cannot curse at players, especially like that.  

And if Trent 'deserved' what was said to him, he would've been flagged prior. He wasn't. 

Friendly suggestion: 

Turn off the 'puter, step away, go do something with the family that will take your mind off the game and calm your anger; and come back when you're in a better frame of mind. 

Because right now, you aren't and are going to work yourself up to something you regret. 

Hail. 

Are you this emotional all the time? No one's forgetting how much this team sucks. It's a separate issue.

Your comment about how Trent deserved it just shows how much you're dying to lash out as a fan. Trent is possibly our best player. He's an All-Pro level LT, and he deserves VERY little blame for this season, if any. He does his job on that OL, there's nothing else he can do. He has the right, as a human being, to issue a complaint about this treatment. Get over it.

Are you this emotional all the time? No one's forgetting how much this team sucks. It's a separate issue.

Your comment about how Trent deserved it just shows how much you're dying to lash out as a fan. Trent is possibly our best player. He's an All-Pro level LT, and he deserves VERY little blame for this season, if any. He does his job on that OL, there's nothing else he can do. He has the right, as a human being, to issue a complaint about this treatment. Get over it.

If anything, my anger isn't with the Redskins, but probably with the pussification of the NFL in general over the past several years. I gave up on this team weeks ago. 

If a ref mouthed off, I really don't care. Honestly, regardless if this team was 3-7 or 7-3. It's football and emotions run high, even for the refs. Big deal, put your big boy pants on and play the next down without bringing the media into another "my feelings are hurt" debacle. My god.

Who gives a ****, win a game and then cry about who said what. Jesus Christ.

Winning or losing the game has zero to do with this.  This is Trent's work environment and there is no place for a ref to be addressing a player that way.  What do you think the result would be if a player spoke to a ref that way?

Use common sense.

If anything, my anger isn't with the Redskins, but probably with the pussification of the NFL in general over the past several years. I gave up on this team weeks ago.

If a ref mouthed off, I really don't care. Honestly, regardless if this team was 3-7 or 7-3. It's football and emotions run high, even for the refs. Big deal, put your big boy pants on and play the next down without bringing the media into another "my feelings are hurt" debacle. My god.

It's clear you aren't going to get this. I'll leave you to your inane ranting.

For those of you saying to grow up and ignore it, and that they are ****ing about who said what after a lost game:

It does matter. If a ref holds that much against a player to go up to them and say that, they are biased and they can't be trusted to make fair, unbiased calls.

It works that way in a jury, it should work that way for referees in a multi billion dollar industry.

So should Trent have solved this like a man and punched the ref in the face? Back in the day when we walked uphill both ways to school while fending off bears with little more then the razor sharp part in our hair we knew how to handle guys mouthing off!

If a ref holds that much against a player to go up to them and say that, they are biased and they can't be trusted to make fair, unbiased calls.

Correct

How can you expect a ref to not be biased if he is disrespecting a player in that matter?  They are supposed to be the peace keepers out there.  

People don't seem to grasp the point as to why this is an issue. It not only shows a complete lack of professionalism from someone who is held to a much higher standard in their duties to be professional at all times. The simple reason is that any show of aggression, or oppression, or grievance with one team or player over another is extremely suggestive, if not completely indicative of an egregious display of favoritism & a lack of objectivity in your duties.

First time ever reading the comment section of an ESPN article (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9993298/trent-williams-washington-redskins-says-official-cussed-out?ex_cid=espnapi_public)

Won't ever do that again. It's were irrational, violent, racist, idiots convene. 

The fact that the NFL is investigating the incident tells you all you need to know about Roy Ellison's comment

So what is the punishment for that kind of behavior? I imagine he'll get a bonus check for standing up to a Redskins player.

The referee crew will not be allow to referee a Redskins game for three years (wish it was Ed Hoculi's crew) That is the normal punishment.  The referee that made the comment will also get a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again.  End of Story

Archived