Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

deadspin: Trent Williams Says Ref Called Him A "Disrespectful Mother******"

Destino

Agreed that the ref should never talk back to a player or coach. Unfortunately it's part of many sports that players and coaches often do behave disrespectfully to the refs.

A flag should have been thrown if Williams crossed the line. The ref mistakenly thought what he said to Trent was better game management.  :P

But on the subject, do players and coaches really think that when they continually berate an official, it will improve their odds of getting the benefit on all the marginal calls?  :D

We've all seen things like that happen. Next time around when there's a close call it goes the other way.

Trent Williams accusation not the first against umpire Roy Ellison

“What concerns me about this is I sat in the same chair that Dean Blandino, the vice president of officiating, is sitting in right now, with the same official, Roy Ellison, who years ago allegedly shouted and swore at players, and it was a big issue that I had to deal with,” Pereira said. “I actually had to talk with him in the office to make sure that none of this was going on. So the fact that it has happened twice now with the same individual has to concern the league, and I know they are taking a strong look at this.”

more in the link...http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/18/trent-williams-accusation-not-the-first-against-umpire-roy-ellison/

The amount of **** talking directed at the refs from players and coaches on both sides is awe inspiring. "Meanie called me a bad name" doesn't resonate with me when the shoe is suddenly on the other foot.

Again...sorry...This doesn't calculate. Refs need to be the NFL equivalent to the guards at Buckingham Palace. Players can stop short of spitting in your face & your job is to take it & remain objective.

No excuses, no exceptions. This is what you signed up for, like it or not, & I don't care how fed up anyone is with the treatment of the refs....If you can't do your job, then you're opening up questions as to the integrity of the league & this is simply not acceptable. Whatever the case may be.

Damn...I can't believe people would remotely fathom to defend the refs in this situation...completely incomprehensible.

Agree with you nemo. This has nothing to do with bullying or whether football has gotten soft. It has to do with keeping games fair through unbiased officiating.

Imagine if a judge in a law court called the plaintiff or defendant worthless during a trial. Would that be okay? If no, why not? I think not, because we demand impartiality from judges.

Football should likewise demand impartiality from its officials. Part of officiating is being the neutral arbiter, hard to do that and show such a grudge against one side.

Players can stop short of spitting in your face & your job is to take it & remain objective.

Eh, no. First time a player opens his mouth the ref can throw a flag, or warn them that's next if they keep it up. There's no reason to permit a player to behave like a disrespectful mother****er, and get away with it.

But a ref talking **** to a player is the wrong approach.

From all accounts this actually happened.  Mike Pierera was interviewed on local sports radio here and said this official has been in trouble for this exact thing before.

The question is what does the NFL do about it?

Mike P said if he was still in charge, the guy would be suspended without a doubt if not fired outright.

Eh, no. First time a player opens his mouth the ref can throw a flag, or warn them that's next if they keep it up. There's no reason to permit a player to behave like a disrespectful mother****er, and get away with it.

But a ref talking **** to a player is the wrong approach.

Wow...really...I wouldn't presume the need to explain how officiating works WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE RULES. Smh...seriously...you mean you couldn't comprehend the intent in my post to mean that anything OTHER than using the rules as a response to player criticism???

I mean...you actually believed that this isn't assumed under the context of my supposition. .....

Make a post based in logic & EVERYONE LOSES THEIR MINDS!!!

Wow...really...I wouldn't presume the need to explain how officiating works WITHIN THE FRAMEWORK OF THE RULES. Smh...seriously...you mean you couldn't comprehend the intent in my post to mean that anything OTHER than using the rules as a response to player criticism???

I mean...you actually believed that this isn't assumed under the context of my supposition. .....

Your post stated that officials should stoically take any and all abuse, like the Buckingham Palace guards, and continue to call the game objectively.  You were only half right.  Officials should always maintain objectivity. That is job one.  But officials do NOT have to stand there in the face of unsportsmanlike abuse and just "take it."  They have tools to counter that type of behavior.  I think that was the point Coraigh was trying to make.

If a ref feels abused to the point of possibly saying something like what Ellison appeared to have said on Sunday, he should throw a flag and have the guy ejected. But under no circumstances does he need to address the player in the manner he did so, as it calls into question the integrity of the game. 

If Snyder wanted, he could really make a federal case out of this - and I certainly would if I were him. With all of the ridiculous cap stuff the Redskins have had to endure FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES, combined with the bogus calls in the Dallas game (the punt play, penalty on the coach, etc) among others, the league bending over backwards to accomodate groups who don't like our name, and now this...could one not argue that the playing field is slanted against the Redskins? 

The amount of **** talking directed at the refs from players and coaches on both sides is awe inspiring.  "Meanie called me a bad name" doesn't resonate with me when the shoe is suddenly on the other foot.

You're missing the entire point. The issue is'nt about dirty language but the ability of said referee to call a fair game.

You did state that the refs sign up for it and have to "take it" ... everything "short of spitting" were your own words. Hell no they don't.

I don't think we are debating whether Williams may well have behaved like a disrespectful mother****er. :lol:  The issue is that the ref handled the disrespectful mother****er in an inappropriate way.  :)

I don't understand what the beef is about.

So what if the ref called him a disrespectful mfer. He probably was being disrespectful. You'd rather have a flag? Ya'll would be complaining about it EVEN MORE if the flag were thrown. "See how unfair they're being to us, yet another crazy penalty. Conspiracy!"

I don't understand what the beef is about.

So what if the ref called him a disrespectful mfer. He probably was being disrespectful. You'd rather have a flag? Ya'll would be complaining about it EVEN MORE if the flag were thrown. "See how unfair they're being to us, yet another crazy penalty. Conspiracy!"

The beef is that the verbal abuse by a ref may be a sign of something more serious, like an official who can't call an objective, fair game.

Players (and coaches) are going to be emotional. There are the ones actually involved in the game. Its highs, its lows. It is going to create strong feelings in them and sometimes cause them to get upset at things.

Refs, however, are supposed to be above it all. They aren't supposed to take things in a personal manner. They have to have a stronger equilibrium than this Ellison guy is showing.

I mean, if he is cussing some players out, who's to say he isn't turning his head when a penalty is commited on said player or his team. or maybe he'll start calling a bunch of ticky-tack calls on that player/team.

It is something that has to be looked into.

Just heard Trent talking about this and to say he's pissed is an understatement. And rightly so. There's ZERO way an official should EVER lower themselves to get involved in that ****. 

Keim's tweeting that a lot of other players have backed Trent up from both sides too. 

The NFL HAVE to act on this one if it's as damning as it appears on Ellison. 

Hail.

Agree, but was the ref right? Maybe that doesn't matter.

Archived