Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nfl.com: Embarrassing Defense!

MustangSteve

Careful now, we may have to go on the warpath again.

i'm wondering what excuses we need to start considering for DL coach Jacob Burney.

Let's face it,,  it all starts up front, no pressure and you simply cannot make up for it with any secondary, much less ours. 

ANY NFL QB can pick apart a defense if they're given enough time and doesn't get hit.

Our DL is the unit on defense that has had the most attention devoted to it.

Free agents, first round picks, second round picks. There is depth there. It has not been affected by the cap penalty. 

It is VETERAN, but not old.

and it is absolutely completely ineffective as a pass rushing unit. They get no pressure, they cannot harrass a QB, they cannot complete the rush and get to the QB.

they put THREE hits on the Qb last night. 

That is absolutely PATHETIC, especially given the injuries the Vikes had on their OL.

And it makes holding a lead VERY difficult. 

we can say all we want about  Kyle getting away from running, etc..  but if we cannot stop the pass, disrupt the QB, it'll never matter.

~Bang

Exactly! This is the main reason our defense gives up 30+ points a game. 3rd string QB's can have a field day against this kind of defense. 4 years of coaching this defense and he continues to get worse each year, cut the man already! We are the worst defense in the history of the NFL, can it really get any worse?

that was a Bang of a post.   :)

****, I would take Danny Smith back in a heartbeat over this mess, and that's not because he's good.

I thought you'd get a 'bang' outta it !

I think this is a case where i'd welcome the 'Snyder Thumb' pressing Mike into it.

Haslett HAS to be nervous as a pregnant nun and jumpy super paranoid right about now. But, then again, in his own mind its Rocca's fault.

brad doughtery, brad edwards, reed doughty.......all those white safeties are the same :D

You better remember Roger Daltrey, you better you bet !

Sarcasm alert ---

It's only year 4 of the Haslett regime - expecting him to field better than a bottom of the NFL caliber unit is just fans having unrealistic expectations!!!

No one thinks the talent level on this defense warrants them being a top 5 unit but it should be better than the putrid results currently being produced.

For one thing, since the season started the defense has remained remarkably healthy compared to many other teams.  The defensive line which started the season has remained intact.  The linebacking corps hasn't suffered any key injuries during the season and the secondary had players miss games here and there but nothing drastic.

The key players on the defense - Orakpo, Kerrigan, Cofield, Hall have played in every game yet the defense still stinks.

Jenkins and Rob Jackson coming back after their 4 game suspensions was supposed to make a difference but the defense still stinks.

Cofield is the best NT in football according to Haslett, Hall is playing at a Pro Bowl level, Kerrigan and Orakpo are supposed to be game changing pass rushers yet the defense still stinks.

Orakpo coming back was supposed to make a HUGE difference in the defense.  Having another pass rusher was going to free up everyone else to get more pressure on the QB and make the defense better.  Outside of a fluke 7 sack game against an awful Oakland offensive line with Matt Flynn at QB the front 7 has not been able to generate consistent pressure.

Last night against Minnesota was a prime example.  Orakpo started the game with a sack on the first drive and things looked good. But the Skins wound up with ZERO sacks the rest of the night as Ponder and Cassel mostly had all day to throw.  Haslett's corner blitzes were easily picked up by the Vikings also.  Keep in mind this is a Viking's offensive line which had allowed 20 sacks coming into the game, or 2.5 per game.  The line also was riddled with injuries yet kept the Skin's pass rush at bay with ease.

Jim Haslett's career as a defensive coordinator has been filled with mostly poor defenses producing bottom tier results.  In year 4 of his tenure with the Skins the defense continues to suck without any real signs of improvement.  

If Mike Shanahan is retained for next season then at the very least Keith Burns and Jim Haslett need to go as having bottom of the league units in 2 of 3 most important phases of the game is NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

and it is absolutely completely ineffective as a pass rushing unit. They get no pressure, they cannot harrass a QB, they cannot complete the rush and get to the QB.

they put THREE hits on the Qb last night. 

That is absolutely PATHETIC, especially given the injuries the Vikes had on their OL.

And it makes holding a lead VERY difficult. 

we can say all we want about  Kyle getting away from running, etc..  but if we cannot stop the pass, disrupt the QB, it'll never matter.

~Bang

Not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but I saw Kerrigan and others held on MULTIPLE plays...of course, no call.

There is no excuse for not penetrating the interior line, though...

The problem is that it doesn't get much more advantageous than it was last night.  Your offense is moving the ball up and down the field.  They are putting points on the board and controlling the clock.  You have all the time in the world to make whatever adjustments is necessary.  You are going up against one of the top 5 worst offenses in the NFL.  The defense still couldn't really stop them.

Christian Ponder wishes he could play the Skins every week.  He threw for over 300 yards against us last year.

The Redskins don't have an NFL-caliber defense--plain and simple.  The problem is putrid players, putrid coaching, or both.

I suspect it is mostly coaching, because the special teams is also horrific and the offense goes from hot to cold in an instance. 

If it's not coaching, then many of the Redskins players, in all three phases, should be at home watching NFL football instead of attempting to play it.  This makes it a front office problem, since it is responsible for player acquisitions.  Due to the $36 million dollar cap penalty over the last two years, you kind of have to give the FO a pass.

Whatever the reason, the defense and special teams are unwatchable and an utter embarrassment to professional football.

my god, guys...how in the world would firing haslett right now, at 3-6, help at all? do any of you SERIOUSLY think that an interim defensive coordinator or defensive guy from the staff could do any better, with 7 games left in the season? wouldnt it be better to wait until offseason, fire haslett in january/february, AND THEN hire a defensive coordinator that will be able to have guys from FA to work with in the offseason, plus whoever we draft, with our cap money back? i mean, its only 7 more games, and then we probably wont have to see haslett in fedex field anymore.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you here, but I saw Kerrigan and others held on MULTIPLE plays...of course, no call.

There is no excuse for not penetrating the interior line, though...

Yeah, i agree. .but Holding is no longer an excuse.

The NFL doesn't call it.

Others beat it, others get to the quarterback. In fact, others get to the quarterback quite a bit.

i just went and looked over on football-reference.com for some numbers to see what it said,, here's what I got.

from 1993 to 2003.. the good ol' days, the top sack totals were about the same,, The top guy had an average of 16.5 sacks. On average 18 guys had over 10 sacks for any given year.

From 2004 to 2008 things went down.. less guys got 10 or more, and the avg best was 16.

Brady rule was implemented and the number of guys getting 10 dipped to the lowest point in 20 years for 2 straight seasons (12).. but the guys who DID get more than ten got significantly more than ten... the number of guys with 14 or more went up.

then the last 3 years, with all the new rules and new emphasis it has skyrocketed. top sackers are getting 18+ routinely,, over 20 in the last 2 straight years,, but the real kicker is that  the number of guys getting more than 10 sacks has really jumped. It's also over 20 for 2 of the last 3 years.

So the rest of the league is certainly getting past the fact they're not calling holds anywhere near as much. (Now, I have NOt actually looked into that,, it certainly appears so.. and if anyone wanted to research holding calls over the years, good luck.)

~Bang

my god, guys...how in the world would firing haslett right now, at 3-6, help at all? do any of you SERIOUSLY think that an interim defensive coordinator or defensive guy from the staff could do any better, with 7 games left in the season? wouldnt it be better to wait until offseason, fire haslett in january/february, AND THEN hire a defensive coordinator that will be able to have guys from FA to work with in the offseason, plus whoever we draft, with our cap money back? i mean, its only 7 more games, and then we probably wont have to see haslett in fedex field anymore.

You are right, firing Haslett may not help, but after last night how could it hurt?  Can't get any worse than that.

We have one of the worst defenses in history, and you're worried about what happens if we replace Haslett? lol ok. 

We had a 13 point 2nd half lead, dominated the time of possession, won the turnover battle, and had great performances from our QB, RB, and #1 WR. And despite playing against a Vikings offense that had Ponder at QB, was missing 2 starting lineman and their starting TE, we only got one sack and managed to lose this game. It doesn't get much worse than that. Fire Haslett, give the reins to Raheem and lets see what he does over the next 7 games.

IMHO, the defense and Special Teams are horrific. Big changes need to be made there. The CAP penalty really hurt us. I would guess that the team knew going into the season that we had many weaknesses there, but little money to do anything about it.

That's coaching. The other teams made adjustments, we don't.

That's not true.  And this is a thread about the defense. 

We adjusted. We stopped running Morris lol

Except we didn't. 17 runs and 17 passes in the 2nd half. Robert kept the ball more on RO plays in the second half, for some reason.  But the balance was still there.  

I wonder what the reasoning for not firing Haslett is. They cant get any worse by trying someone else out at this point.

Its sad, but this reminds me of when the jets had Tebow and wouldnt play him. Everyone said "well tebow sucks!" Well, were the Jets going to get worse if they gave him a shot?

Lets just continue the insanity and try the same thing over and over and expect different results.

I wonder what the reasoning for not firing Haslett is. They cant get any worse by trying someone else out at this point.

Its sad, but this reminds me of when the jets had Tebow and wouldnt play him. Everyone said "well tebow sucks!" Well, were the Jets going to get worse if they gave him a shot?

Lets just continue the insanity and try the same thing over and over and expect different results.

This! It's obvious they are going to make us suffer with Haslett, so he should at the least start experimenting with new packages. Run a damn 4-3 and put RAK and Kerrigan on the DE and rush the damn QB. Try anything new because what we have now is historically bad! 

Umm, I think our offense was outscored 20-3 in the second half, so how can you pin it all on the defense?  Kyle shanahan tried to make Griffin a pocket passer again in the second half, but he was a sitting duck and got clobbered.  Why did they quit rolling him out and doing the things that worked in the first half? 

Oh the power of negative adjustments  Maybe Kyle should be the one to sit up in the booth, not Haslett.

I argued with Oldfan years back about Shanny.  Him saying Shanny might be an offensive genius but he doesn't put together a good team becuase his defenses in Denver were horrible.   I didn't argue his point directly but responded by saying give him a chance to see if he can do it differently here.  Oldfan didn't have faith he could do it.  I thought he could. I'd say Oldfan has been proven right.

Shanny inherited a good (top tenish) albiet not great defense and under his leadership --its been horrible for 3 of his 4 years here.  He's made nice progress with the offense, but the defense regressed.  it's the same reason why he was ultimately fired in Denver.

We can put this all on Haslett but two things on that:

1.  Shanny hired him, I don't see how he's absolved from that decision -- also he has a histroy of making questionable hires for D coordinator in Denver, too.

2.  It's been reported including by Mike Lombardi who worked with Shanny in Denver -- that Shanny works very closely with the D coordinator in producing the D game plan.

Haslett or any other coach will not be fired in the middle of the season that isn't how Shanahan rolls, however Haslett must be the first person fired as soon as the season is over.

Could you guys imagine if we had a middle of the pack defense ranked anywhere from 15 - 22 ? we would be 6-3 our offense isn't the problem. Sure Kyle has made some terrible calls, sure mike has made some boneheaded personnel moves but the culprit is the defense, all our venom should be towards Raheem Morris and Haslett they MUST GO!!!! 

Our league worst defense somehow had us in the last 2 games. The ball in our offenses hands, the games for the taking.

In the modern game, that seems like a reasonable measuring stick.  I do not expect to see a dominating defensive performance anymore, in any game I watch. Jax aside. I am not sure the league wants defense.

Archived