Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nfl.com: Embarrassing Defense!

MustangSteve

I think a top DC mind would want to be able to pick most of his assistants. Shanahan picks the LB coach, DL coach, safeties coach, secondary coach etc etc etc. Then when it doesn't work we blame the Defensive Coordinator. Perhaps it's Shanahan's approach that needs to change.

That's why he has to go.  What are the odds that the Coach/President of the team is going to not only abdicate that role but will not have his input into hiring decisions that are made by the new DC? 

Maybe there is a reason that Haslett was hired to run a 3-4 here when we HAD a good defense.  Maybe Shanahan doesn't want the challenge of managing an ego of a DC who can or will be a head coach.  Maybe he wants more stability even at the cost of performance.  What other rational explanation could there be for hiring Haslett and retaining him when other options became available in the offseason?

It could hurt the players morale.  Firing coaches mid-season is admitting that you are giving up on them and the rest of the season.  Players see this and it irritates the **** out of them because of their desire to win.  Plus, the majority of players respect and stick up for their coaches (unless they have issues).  

I disagree.  First of all, the Ravens fired their OC last year mid-season and won the superbowl lol...

Now, there's 2 reasons I think it's important to make the move midseason (I wish we had last mid-season).

1-Getting a head start.  Of course it would take time to instill a new philosophy, so the earlier you start, the better.  We COULD be a year into a better defense already.

2-The philosophy itself, and playcalling.  I'm no big time Xs and Os guy, but I think most fans have a better understanding (although not fully) of offense than they do defense.  So it's hard for me to say this so matter-of-fact-ly, but I really think Hasletts philosophy is insane.  I truly think he wants to give WRs their routes so that we can jump them.  He speaks about his emphasis on getting turnovers, and having many guys around the ball, "gang tackling"  (stand a guy up in a crowd and strip the ball).  That's INSANE.

I truly think he does not have his head wrapped around offensive formations and how to disrupt them, rather, he lets the offense run their play and hopes for a turnover.  I'm sure he would argue that the good part is:  creative/disguised blitzes, getting to the QB, and stopping the play that way.  So basically, he plans to succeed with sacks, turnovers and interceptions.  Plays that happen only a handful, if not zero times a game.  INSANE.

I really don't think I'm being far-fetched here, I really think that's how he rolls.  Emphasizing turnovers and sacks is something that should always be preached, NOT as a way to make up for the incompetence of the defense otherwise.  And it's funny - We do well in turnovers and it has won us games.  But we have got to be leading the league in teams that win turnover battles and LOSE THOSE GAMES.

This team already knows how to jump a route, and Haslett is no blitzing mastermind, that is a myth created out of nowhere that's spouted week after week by commentators.  I will take the most basic, elementary defensive football coach over this nonsense.  If we do it NOW, then next week, players will be put in different positions on the field and asked to go in different directions and so forth.  So it's not useless, and would probably be exciting for a defense that KNOWS they suck.  Furthermore, we still have an offense that can outscore anyone.  

Watch our games (I know you do), I'm talking just ONE or TWO more stops and we win.  This "let's get turnovers" and "the 3-4 makes sneaky looking blitzes" nonsense is going nowhere.  

Oh and a 3rd reason to do it NOW.  Because the only reason people didn't continue hating on Haslett last year was because the team miraculously won 7 in a row.  It saved Haslett's ass.  It's still the same useless defense.  It's USELESS, PEOPLE.  A 20 point lead means NOTHING.  

Do it, and do it now.  I love Shanny.  He's making it hard by refusing to pull the trigger. 

Let's see; it is 10:41 a.m. friday november 8th, 2013.

I haven't heard any sporting news updates saying Jim Haslett has been terminated as of yet.

Why?

This is what gets me; they hang on to this bum til the end of the season, and i'm sure he knows that 99.999% of Redskin fans want him gone 2 weeks ago, as well as Snyder has to be a little hot under the collar about this. It HAS to be a foregone conclusion that Haslett is gone after this season; well, the season is all but mathematically over, so what gives? Why hasn't he been canned as of yet? What are they waiting for?

Its not like he's going to turn things around, not that it would do any good; besides, it 'appeared' he had things turned around last year, only to totally dissolve this season. Just show him the door, let someone else come in and do whatever they want; maybe they might stumble across something that works or at least can adjust mid-game.

My hatred for Haslett more than rivals a certain co-ESer's dislike for Danny Smith. Yea, you know who you are... ;)

I will contribute 5 bucks to flying a banner over Redskin Park, Snyder's home, and wherever else needed with " MR. Snyder, Please Do Your Team a Favor and Fire Jim Haslett".

Can't fire someone unless you have someone better to replace him. But as soon as we do, Haslett should be gone. We learned our lesson on special teams. F*** Keith Burns!

Can't fire someone unless you have someone better to replace him. But as soon as we do, Haslett should be gone. We learned our lesson on special teams. F*** Keith Burns!

Can it really get worse though?  We forced Minnesota to punt once and made Ponder and Cassel look like first ballot HOFers and the number 1 and 2 qbs in all of NFL history.

I think you could hire me and get better results.  Hell, I think you could hire me and let me call the game from Antarctica with no way to watch or listen to the game and still call a better game.  You may even be able to hire a monkey to throw darts at a board that lists defensive plays and call a better game.  I'm willing to believe that if we had the opponent call the defense they wanted to play against we wouldn't do worse.

We're not talking bad.  We're talking historically inept and while we may not be the most talented defense in the league we are hardly that bereft of players.

I disagree.  First of all, the Ravens fired their OC last year mid-season and won the superbowl lol...

This is the fact! They got rid of the weight that was holding them back from being a playoff caliber team, and it rewarded them a Lombardi Trophy. Our offense is starting to get it in gear, they had some of the most beautiful drives I have seen from any team in Thursday Nights game, but this weight we have on defense drug them down to defeat. Remove the weight and fight for this division title, plain and simple. Keep the weight and end up last place in the division again!

There are numerous teams which make changes to their coaching staff, and the next season that team is totally turned around and playing much better.

Its highly unlikely the Redskins make the playoffs, sorry but i'm more of a visual person, and its pretty clear to see unless SOMETHING drastic happens, i.e.; firing Haslett, it will be the same old song and dance every game.

What i'd give to have Williams back on this team; he would have this defense flat-out balling because players respect the guy because he's a no-nonsense get it done DC. BountyGate is over, he's paid his dues, and if a dog killer can be forgiven, why not Williams? Oh wait, Tennessee did, and look at their defense now; may not be ranked hish, but they're holding offenses to much lower scoring than Haslett.

If Williams had an offense which could score points, they would be almost unstoppable,.

Just watched the Carolina Panthers defense DOMINATE the 49ers' offense.  It was a thing of beauty and so refreshing after watching the Redskins' defense over the last few years make a three and out look like an utter impossibility.

There's nothing more impressive than watching a dominating defense.  It takes physical ability, teamwork, coordination, cohesion, communication, intelligence, trust, a little luck, etc., etc., etc. 

My goodness it's been a long time since I've seen the Redskins put a good defense on the field!!!  As it stands, I'll take any kind of defense that's not labeled an embarrassment.

I think a big problem with our defense is rooted in a tiny nose. And perhaps having 2 OLBs that are really better suited for a 4-3. Bonus... I don't even notice Fletcher anymore. A 4-3 guy himself, imagine that.

Haslet likely has to overload to stop the run. He has to be creative; he can't show 8 in the box, or he will expose his DBs a bit much.

His defense is predicated on stopping the run, forcing teams to pass, and then going for the INT/stop. Because of that, turnovers and DTDs should be somewhere in the discussion when grading his defense. Wins and losses. Putting the offense into a place they can win the game. What is the stat for that?

He is trying. But hey, he saw the 3-4 was not good for us.  Our defense gets gashed. At least Mike recognizes his own style, and builds his offense to overcome a lame duck defense. Only, Kyle can't seem to put it all together himself. The RG3 led offense is the strength of our team, but far too often, is playing on par with our mix and matched junkyard 4-3 34 D.

I thought Baker looked great at NT.... so we moved him to end. Cofield Bowen Rak Kerrigan... all these guys did good in the 4-3 and if they struggle as 34ers, is that Haslets fault? I hate the 34 because you have to reinvent so many players.

I know this thread is all about our D sucking and I agree.  But man, watching that game Thursday I couldn't believe my eyes Mike and the special Teams coach have not signed a big leg kicker to consistently put that ball our of the endzone in kickoffs.  How pathetic we looked with Kai trying to pouch kick almost every kickoff.  Talk about not fixing/adjusting our kicking game.  Honestly we have such great backup players on this team that we can cut one and bring in a kicker?  That "little" detail to me says it all about our current coaching staff.  

The offense is still very inconsistent.

At the start of the year they only played 30 minutes of football in the 2nd half... Now they only play 30 minutes of football in the 1st half.

Very, very inconsistent.  If the offense could put together even 45 minutes of consistent play, it wouldn't matter much what the defense was doing.  See: Broncos, Denver.

I think London is a shell of his former self, father time has finally caught up to him... I see him getting thrown to the ground on almost every play...  It's amazing to me how many people think it's the secondary, who has had a few gaffs, but is not the reason why the defense gives up chunk yardage and big points every game. 

Archived