Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nfl.com: Embarrassing Defense!

MustangSteve

The Redskins' defense is so defective that Washington got into a shootout with Christian Ponder andMatt Cassel of the Minnesota Vikings on Thursday night -- and lost.

In the driver's seat with a 27-14 lead early in the third quarter, the Redskins rolled over for four second-half scoring drives directed by a pair of quarterbacks banished to the bench in favor of Josh Freeman three weeks ago. They managed to stop the Vikings on just two drives all night.

The Redskins opened the season with a broken quarterback and a historically bad defense.

Two months later the quarterback is running his offense at near peak efficiency, setting third-down conversion records for a Mike Shanahan-led team.

The defense still has no backbone, however, standing second to last in the NFL in points allowed and third to last in yards allowed per game.

Click link for rest: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000278190/article/what-we-learned-defense-holding-redskins-back

The indictment of the defense is spot on, but 3 points in the second half is hardly "near peak efficiency" see also second half vs Denver.

The premise in the NFL is when you have a lead, you protect the lead with ball controlled, time killing drives.

And you depend on the defense to help hold that lead.

Much to our demise our defense is not up to task.

Let's see; it is 10:41 a.m. friday november 8th, 2013.

I haven't heard any sporting news updates saying Jim Haslett has been terminated as of yet.

Why?

This is what gets me; they hang on to this bum til the end of the season, and i'm sure he knows that 99.999% of Redskin fans want him gone 2 weeks ago, as well as Snyder has to be a little hot under the collar about this. It HAS to be a foregone conclusion that Haslett is gone after this season; well, the season is all but mathematically over, so what gives? Why hasn't he been canned as of yet? What are they waiting for?

Its not like he's going to turn things around, not that it would do any good; besides, it 'appeared' he had things turned around last year, only to totally dissolve this season. Just show him the door, let someone else come in and do whatever they want; maybe they might stumble across something that works or at least can adjust mid-game.

My hatred for Haslett more than rivals a certain co-ESer's dislike for Danny Smith. Yea, you know who you are... ;)

I will contribute 5 bucks to flying a banner over Redskin Park, Snyder's home, and wherever else needed with " MR. Snyder, Please Do Your Team a Favor and Fire Jim Haslett".

I haven't heard any sporting news updates saying Jim Haslett has been terminated as of yet.

Why?

This is what gets me; they hang on to this bum til the end of the season, and i'm sure he knows that 99.999% of Redskin fans want him gone 2 weeks ago, as well as Snyder has to be a little hot under the collar about this. It HAS to be a foregone conclusion that Haslett is gone after this season; well, the season is all but mathematically over, so what gives? Why hasn't he been canned as of yet? What are they waiting for?

Its not like he's going to turn things around, not that it would do any good; besides, it 'appeared' he had things turned around last year, only to totally dissolve this season. Just show him the door, let someone else come in and do whatever they want; maybe they might stumble across something that works or at least can adjust mid-game.

My hatred for Haslett more than rivals a certain co-ESer's dislike for Danny Smith. Yea, you know who you are... ;)

I am right there with ya! 1st thing I said this morning was I hope to read Haslett is fired, but instead just reminded of how bad his defense is and has been since he took over the job in Washington. This guy needs to go right now!

Why?

I will contribute 5 bucks to flying a banner over Redskin Park, Snyder's home, and wherever else needed with " MR. Snyder, Please Do Your Team a Favor and Fire Jim Haslett".

Its sad that I told my nephew after we got the field goal after half time: "Its a shame we are now going to lose this game, the defense will fold"

The premise in the NFL is when you have a lead, you protect the lead with ball controlled, time killing drives.

I must have missed those between the 3 and outs until the lead was lost.

I am on board. I have had moments of total frustration where I have said the entire staff has to go but I am good with the Shanahans through the 2014-2015 season. But this clown? He shouldnt have been allowed on the plane ride back last night. There is just no way to defend him. The Defense has spells where you think they finally "got it" and then lay an egg. I dont think it is a (complete) lack of talent. We have the guys in place to be decent on D, not great, but at least middle of the pack. Being historically bad is just unacceptable. If Mike refuses to let him go then Mike needs to go.

Why?

I woke up this morning thinking exactly what you have just said.  I work in a corporate environment, and when a leader is hired to come in to clean up a poorly performing situation, there are expectations to turn things around.  There is no way that leader would still be running the situation into a 3rd year after doing nothing to improve the situation. 

Can someone tell me why we ran such a soft secondary last night?  Why did we not stack the box and play man coverage?  Were we scared of Greg Jennings and the rest of the no-name WRs on the Vikings?  Really???  On one play I thought my favorite mouth piece corner Deangelo was back waiting to return a punt or something, he was so far removed from the play.  What were they worried about?  Who was going to burn them deep?

Look at the draft picks we have spent on the defense, there is good talent there.  Veteran leadership, we have it.  There is only ONE reason why we suck on defense so bad, Jim Haslett.

that was the premise in the 80s.  nowadays good teams do NOT do that, because they know how easy it is to come back and score in bunches in the modern NFL.  good teams have learned to keep attacking all game, especially when they have the lead. 

that was a Bang of a post.   :)

****, I would take Danny Smith back in a heartbeat over this mess, and that's not because he's good.

Careful now, we may have to go on the warpath again.

i'm wondering what excuses we need to start considering for DL coach Jacob Burney.

Let's face it,,  it all starts up front, no pressure and you simply cannot make up for it with any secondary, much less ours. 

ANY NFL QB can pick apart a defense if they're given enough time and doesn't get hit.

Our DL is the unit on defense that has had the most attention devoted to it.

Free agents, first round picks, second round picks. There is depth there. It has not been affected by the cap penalty. 

It is VETERAN, but not old.

and it is absolutely completely ineffective as a pass rushing unit. They get no pressure, they cannot harrass a QB, they cannot complete the rush and get to the QB.

they put THREE hits on the Qb last night. 

That is absolutely PATHETIC, especially given the injuries the Vikes had on their OL.

And it makes holding a lead VERY difficult. 

we can say all we want about  Kyle getting away from running, etc..  but if we cannot stop the pass, disrupt the QB, it'll never matter.

~Bang

Firing Haslett today wouldn't hurt us. If last night's game wasn't convincing enough, then I don't know what is? Might as give another coach a crack it and see if he can turn gradually turn the defense around by week 17. It's not like we have anything to loose as our defense is the worst among the league. 

I am on board. I have had moments of total frustration where I have said the entire staff has to go but I am good with the Shanahans through the 2014-2015 season. But this clown? He shouldnt have been allowed on the plane ride back last night. There is just no way to defend him. The Defense has spells where you think they finally "got it" and then lay an egg. I dont think it is a (complete) lack of talent. We have the guys in place to be decent on D, not great, but at least middle of the pack. Being historically bad is just unacceptable!

Excellent point! Nobody is going to convince me that the players on this defense are the worst to ever take the field, I don't and won't buy it. These same players could very well be a top 10 - 15 defense with an average defensive coordinator leading them. The problem is in the booth and the problem is  not going to go away unless Dan makes it him go away. So, fire Haslett Danny!!!

Cofield got push around last night and Brad Daughtery had a great night, fillinf the gaps on most plays to stop Petterson.  On pass plays Kerrigan and Rac did there jobs running around the ends and having the QB step up in the pocket the problem we had no push up the middle.

Our D line is avg. at Best.   Cofield is out of position.  We do no stunts or hardly even blitz these young QB's     Plus yes Fletcher is getting to old to keep up.  He still plays great on occasion but can't play the whole game.   We should put Kerrigan and Rac as the ends on third and bring in Jackson and another LB on third, Robinson or Kehl and mix blitz packages here.  Kerrigan and Rac were Ends in College so you can rush them, drop them back and the LBs runs or rush them all with stunts and different packages.  That way just maybe we can get some push up the middle as well.

Oh Almost forgot,  Haslett has to go....

Week after week our opponents go into halftime and make adjustments on defense and play better.  We make adjustments at halftime on defense and play worse.

Why is it every week this defense hangs in there for the first 40 minutes then completely implodes?  I mean in the last 3 games we had 13+ point leads in the second half.  You don't get there with bad defense.  Then like clockwork the wheels come off.

Why?

My guess is that Haslett is like a QB who stares down his receivers.  Other teams figure out what we are doing and adjust on offense, but Haslett is incapable of getting off the gameplan because he cannot accept that he was wrong.  He looks to me like a man with an ego.

one thing that absolutely frustrates me is when we get pressure on a qb and get him scrambling, he always finds a wide open guy for a 10+ yard gain. yet, when rg3 starts scrambling, everybody seems to be covered and he usually throws an incomplete pass. i hear the excuse too much that no secondary can cover forever if you cant get a pass rush, because teams do it to us all the time.

one thing that absolutely frustrates me is when we get pressure on a qb and get him scrambling, he always finds a wide open guy for a 10+ yard gain. yet, when rg3 starts scrambling, everybody seems to be covered and he usually throws an incomplete pass. i hear the excuse too much that no secondary can cover forever if you cant get a pass rush, because teams do it to us all the time.

that is because our D line is so slow they just move around them and it looks like a roll out instead of him running for his life.  Teams have put in guys on the line with more speed and on third downs put on ends on the field to chase him.  Plus when you keep your QB in a short pocket in the pistol to much you do not need that much of a push of the middle, teams are doing that, why so any tip balls and quick passes and sacks in the last two games,

Here's my question.  Why were we playing soft zone with corners 10 yards off the line when MN is 1-7 and not known as a deep threat?  They murdered us with screen passes all night because they corners weren't there to jump the play.

And the kickoff's to the 30 every time?  Play scared much?  I NEVER see other teams do that.

Cofield got push around last night and Brad Daughtery had a great night, fillinf the gaps on most plays to stop Petterson.  On pass plays Kerrigan and Rac did there jobs running around the ends and having the QB step up in the pocket the problem we had no push up the middle.

Our D line is avg. at Best.   Cofield is out of position.  We do no stunts or hardly even blitz these young QB's     Plus yes Fletcher is getting to old to keep up.  He still plays great on occasion but can't play the whole game.   We should put Kerrigan and Rac as the ends on third and bring in Jackson and another LB on third, Robinson or Kehl and mix blitz packages here.  Kerrigan and Rac were Ends in College so you can rush them, drop them back and the LBs runs or rush them all with stunts and different packages.  That way just maybe we can get some push up the middle as well.

Oh Almost forgot,  Haslett has to go....

I'm not sure who these people are, maybe you can clarify:

Brad Daughtery, Petterson and Rac?

Archived