Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

#redskins - 8 Penalties - 63 Yards.vikings - 1 Penalty - 7 Yards.

RiverboatGambler

So what, you think the refs got a phone call from the commish to do us in?  Take the tin foil hat off, man, we didn't stop them when we needed to, and that's why we lost.  I saw us twice lose our cool and go after another player on defense, we brought that on ourselves, and it was frustration from not being able to get off the damn field at all...

Why didn't we stop them?  Could it be because we get a roughing the passer call on third down for a blow to the helmet when the defender never touch the helmet?  Kept the drive alive and they scored.  Never mind that RGIII was getting smacked in his helmet after the ball was well gone all game long with no yellow being thrown.

How about a ref standing and watching our guy get pushed and push back, calls dead-ball, unnecessary roughness penalty on us? Two drives later, we have a lineman after the play get shoved from behind and knocked to the ground, no flag though the ref was standing there and obviously saw it because he charged in to stand between them. 

We have Kerrigan completely getting strangle-held and his jersey being ripped off of him time and time again, but no flag.  Yet, we get called for offensive holding on a play that had absolutely no holding at all?

We had pass interference in the end-zone on that final drive on second or third down, sorry I can't remember, and even the commentators both saw it; no flag.

The truth is that is sounds like whining and excuse making when calls are being called on both sides at least close to equally.  There was nothing equal about the calls last night, and it they did infact stop us from winning the game.  They kept them on the field when they should have been off, and they kept us from moving the chains and getting points when we should have been scoring.  That, by definition, is most certainly a huge contributor to why we lost.

Question.  Has anyone here ever in their lives seen a ref spot the ball obviously short of the first down, look over at the sticks then move the ball forward another foot?  Ever?  I have never seen that.

And why isn't our Coach raising holy hell on the sidelines with this crap?  He does nothing, just stands there and takes it quietly.  You think SF's coach wouldn't be causing a riot with this crap going on?

And another thing.  Even though the original placement was clearly short of the first, another ref IMMEDIATELY signaled a first down very enthusiastically with no measurement.  It was only after the ref made this premature call the other ref moved the ball forward.

I watch that and I am not supposed tl believe the fix is in?

And Shanny does not even challenge.  He burns timeouts for nothing then lets that go?

I was SCREAMING when that happened.  Pure bull****!

If someone were to make a documentary about corruption in NFL officiating, the tape of last night's game would be Exhibit 1.  Phantom calls, no calls, moving an already placed ball forward to create a first down?

And it doesn't matter?  In baseball calling a runner safe who is obviously out doesn't matter?  In hockey calling a goal out when it obviously crossed the line doesn't matter?  If officiating doesn't matter why do we have instant replays?

Of course there will be the occasional blown call.  But if a ref can't see the holding and holding and holding on Reed to prevent the game-tying touchdown, why are they even there?  what are they looking at?

2 entire games, not a single defensive holding call against our opponents.  Not one.

I don't think it was necessarily the league out to get the redskins, but I do think they had a vested interest in not letting their precious thursday night games be blowouts.. they need to be "exciting" and this one came down to the wire, which i'm sure made the nfl happy.

it seemed that the refs were determined to let the vikings back into the game, as they refused to call them for anything.. and there were some egregious holds in the 3rd and 4th quarter.. (2 on Kerrigan on consecutive plays) hell peterson had a hold AND block in the back on a db blitz, and again right in front of the official and no call. (the pass was a long gainer down the sideline for a first down btw)

another example: Riley got the pf call for pushing a guy after the play.. fine. The vikes do the same thing in the late 3rd/early 4th and no call. Hell on tv you could even hear TW pick Chester up and say let it go, they ain't calling **** on them.. even the players were aware of how badly they were getting hosed.

**** the nfl, their all consuming quest for "exciting" games at the expense of quality is really turning me off to the entire league, big time.

Didn't even feel like 63 yards.  Don't blame the refs, they didn't give the Vikings the last 20 points of the game; that was our defense that did that one...

I have to disagree here. It definitely gave them 7. That horse collar holding non-call kept a scoring drive alive. Kerrigan CLEARLY had his man beat and was just a step or two away from a sack. This was right in front of the back judge too. It was 3rd down.

Rules and the refs are affecting games, not just officiating them. Recognizing that isn't making an excuse for a win or a loss.

if you think that is not something to be concerned about, maybe you ought to check and see what ingredients are in that face paint of yours.

~Bang

Okay, I had to realign myself. This thread isn't about officiating causing us to lose the game. Fair enough, I jumped the gun. I was wrong. I can agree that their calls were horrendous, and need to be looked into. 

I don't blame the refs for our bad defense

but I do blame them for a terribly called game

there were like 8 holding calls and a few block in the backs that were missed

And even a few PI calls all game

and like Somone said a phantom holding call on 82

but they couldn't call a obvious one on any of the Olinemen

or on that 2nd n goal where the guy held reed the entire play

As I was watching the game I was saying to myself where are the flags? I saw holds, a couple blocks in the back that were never called, and a personal foul flag on RG3 picked up for a non call. The hold at the end of the game would have changed the outcome to at least OT IMO. 

Very nice forum its the 1st forum I have joined. Cool discussions and topics. 

It nevers fails to find this thread after a skins loss. It would be 16-0 every year if they just did away with the officials.

did you not watch the game? the refs were atrocious and clearly didnt call the game evenly. Yes, our defense could have stopped them and perhaps maybe done there job, but then again, it is difficult when blatant holding calls are missed and phantom roughing the passer calls are made to extend drives. THen also, the 2nd down play on the last series where Reed is blatantly held on a pass that easily would have been a touchdown, or Josh Wilson getting slammed to the ground after getting hit from behind on the 3rd down play when the Vikings took the lead. Give me a break.

Yes, defense cost us the game. That is the #1 reason. Dont sit here and tell me that the game was called evenly.

Okay, I had to realign myself. This thread isn't about officiating causing us to lose the game. Fair enough, I jumped the gun. I was wrong. I can agree that their calls were horrendous, and need to be looked into. 

You're alright :D

good board member.

I do agree with you though.. i never say a ref cost anyone a game, even if it's a terrible call on the last play in the end zone. etc..  you have 65 other plays with which to make a difference...

My main issue is with the rulebook.

and truly, i don't like seeing Hochuli on the game card..   regardless of the outcome, afterwards there will be legitimate gripes about the job his crew did.

SO far, I have liked games done by Clete Blakeman's crew. They let them play football, and control the action, not the flow of the game.

And the very fact I KNOW this and am tuned to it is a pretty bad indictment of the reffing as a whole. we should rarely care who they are. They should not be in the forefront of the game as much as they are. And the inconsistency from week to week is appalling.

~Bang

Stop blaming the Refs for our poor play and play calling. It makes our fan base look idiotic.

Stop blaming the Refs for our poor play and play calling. It makes our fan base look idiotic.

If someone robs you it's your fault for leaving the house with a wallet.  If you get hit by a drunk driver its your fault for being on the sidewalk.  If your girl cheats on you its your fault for being heterosexual.

Bad calls were the "hit to the head" of Baker and no call on Reed at the goal line. 

Until we change our name, we aren't going to get a call...Get used to it fellas. 

I was thinking that myself last night but I just have a hard time with the whole conspiracy thing. I do believe the refs were incredibly incompetent.  For the person who said why no mention of the Baker none hit, I was the first to bring it up. 

However, I still maintain we lost because we are not a very good team. We lost because our STs are a joke. They gave MN incredible field position. The only drives the Def got off the field on was a crazy bad pass by Ponder that got picked and a clear drop on a 3rd down pass in the 2nd half. The D did not stop a single drive themselves. While the refs certainly hurt and were about as bad as you can be, we still should have won this game.

There is no way we should not be able to hang 45 on these guys. As good as the Off was in the 1st half, all we got was a Fg in the 2nd half. That's pathetic. 

I was thinking that myself last night but I just have a hard time with the whole conspiracy thing. I do believe the refs were incredibly incompetent.  For the person who said why no mention of the Baker none hit, I was the first to bring it up. 

However, I still maintain we lost because we are not a very good team. We lost because our STs are a joke. They gave MN incredible field position. The only drives the Def got off the field on was a crazy bad pass by Ponder that got picked and a clear drop on a 3rd down pass in the 2nd half. The D did not stop a single drive themselves. While the refs certainly hurt and were about as bad as you can be, we still should have won this game.

There is no way we should not be able to hang 45 on these guys. As good as the Off was in the 1st half, all we got was a Fg in the 2nd half. That's pathetic. 

Oh, we totally lost because of poor play. The refs didn't cost us the game.

However, Goodell cannot force the Redskins to change their name. But he can do his best to make us irrelevant. 

forget holding. they simply don't call it anymore.

The adage is you can call holding on any play because it happens on every play.

the fact that you now see maybe ONE holding call per game is as clear an indication as any that they just are not bothering with it anymore.

Protect the QB. (Unless it's ours.)

Like I said above, i can't recall who i heard talking,, might have been Cooley, actually..    the refs are so concerned about the big hit, the 15 yard personal foul that it's almost all they're looking for, and they throw that flag even if it LOOKS like it might be a foul, ie: the Baker hit. 

It happens every week.

You now see more defensive holds called in any given game than offensive holds. Hands to the Face.

I am REALLY bothered by this, because it is REALLY affecting the fair play of the game. It's not just "my team got hosed".. every team gets hosed, and no one knows,, and i mean NO ONE KNOWS how to prepare week to week.

You can play clean, and still get flagged for appearing to make a hit that might be bad. (The "Defenseless receiver" on Garcon last week in OT,, HORRIBLE call, in OVERTIME no less! Good for us,, but damn, it adds 15 yards to the end of a 20 yard play,, it's devastating to a defense that did NOT commit a foul. If a defender even comes close to making contact, they throw that flag.)

So teams are not out there playing one another anymore.. they're also tip-toeing around an ever shifting set of rules. Teams can't prepare for it. (although I bet there would be some value in hiring ref scouts that will provide notes on how each crew calls the game.. they vary So much now that it might be beneficial. Also, i think having a sideline attorney might be a good idea.)

hell, the offensive PI last week ought to be held up as the poster of this..  how the hell that ref made that call, and then STUCK to that call after seeing that the two NEVER got within a foot of each other.. it's mind-boggling.

And it is killing the game.

I get they want offense. I get they want to protect valuable quarterbacks.

But what they've wrought to do it is killing the fair competition of the game.

~Bang

As soon as I saw that corupt little d-bag Hochulli I knew we wouldn't win. He has it out for the Redskins big time.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the delay of game call that he didn't blow dead until RGIII was already out of bounds. He should have called the play dead immediately especially considering the emphasis on safety the NFL has now. But he kept his whistle in his pocket to see if the Vikings D could get another big hit on Griffin. It is shameful. As someone already posted, this trend will continue until Mr. Snyder changes the name. The NFL powers that be want to humiliate Snyder for some reason. The fix is in, friends.

To me the worst were the 2-step planting of Robert on the safety blitz.. that was a flag ten years ago, and has always been called, and last night they could hit the QB like it was 1974 again.

WORST non-call...  Jared Allen straight LAUNCHED himself from the ground at Robert's knee.

This is illegal, and is easily seen,, he isn't blocked into anyone, and even if he IS, thast is specifically stated in the rules to NOT BE AN EXCUSE.

The BRADY rule.. the CARSON PALMER rule, ..  you cannot launch at or HIT the QB below the waist.

That was blatant, and is exactly the situation that that call was invented for, and is a hallmark penalty in this new era of "protect the QB at all costs".

~Bang

I rarely complain about officiating, but aside from the most obvious on the would-be-tying-TD-catch by Reed where he was MUGGED in the end zone, there were countless horrible holds that were ignored by the officating crew.  Holds are missed all the time and many times a borderline hold is not called, we all know that...but I'm talking about blatant arm bars, jerseys being stretched from behind, etc...On one play they talked about how Ponder out ran Wilson.  No mention of the monster hold from behind by AP and then AP shoving him to the ground from behind.

Bad teams can't overcome things like that, that's a well known fact, but the bottom line is they shouldn't have had to.  It was painfully one-sided, it showed glaringly and it made me sick.

Oh, we totally lost because of poor play. The refs didn't cost us the game.

However, Goodell cannot force the Redskins to change their name. But he can do his best to make us irrelevant. 

This is one of the silliest posts I've read on ES in a long line of silly post-game threads.

You can complain about the bad officiating in the NFL, sure. I won't argue with you.

However, to say there were bad calls (or non-calls) in last night's game because Goodell and the NFL is waging some covert campaign against the Redskins using the officials to get the team to change their name is just plain nonsense.

The NFL Network is OWNED and RUN by the NFL. During the pre-game, game-time, and post-game airtime, the Network constantly used the word "Redskins" in their coverage. In fact, I barely remember them using the word "Washington". Just "Redskins".

When they were hyping the game with ads all week, the NFL Network used the word "Redskins" vs. Vikings, not Washington vs. Minnesota.

I agree there were some bad calls, but it isn't because of our nickname.

Posts like yours are why folks can't take these kind of threads seriously much of the time.

If someone robs you it's your fault for leaving the house with a wallet.  If you get hit by a drunk driver its your fault for being on the sidewalk.  If your girl cheats on you its your fault for being heterosexual.

Yeah, not the same at all. You did, however, wrap three argument fallacies up into one super fallacy. That, at the very least, deserves some applause ;)

Our Defense lost this game for us. Good well-rounded teams find ways to win. Let us not forget the bone-headed personal foul that Young perpetrated. It set the Vikings up for +7 points. 

The point is: Yes, there were horrible penalties called and some that were missed all together. It's not something we can worry about. Shanahan will submit those plays to the league. Internally, Ref Teams DO get reamed and challenged by the league office. We don't get to see it. 

While I'm remember it. Did anyone see the delay of game penalty that was called on Griffin? You could clearly see another Ref coming up and mouth the words "there was 1 second left" after Hoculi announced the penalty. It was crazy.

That was blatant, and is exactly the situation that that call was invented for, and is a hallmark penalty in this new era of "protect the QB at all costs".

~Bang

Robert made a mistake when he stated he wanted defenders to hit him.  Now they are letting them do it pretty much at will.  I love Robert I really do, and I want him to succeed but the kid flat out talks to much.  Somebody he trusts needs to tell him this.  Some things are just better left unsaid.  

Call me a whiner. Point the finger at our staff or team or whoever the prognosticators tell you to.

The reality is that there was a screwjob tonight in Minneapolis, MN. We were on the bad end of it. Hopefully the next time there is such an imbalance in penalties (not that we didnt commit them but the uncalled ones on MN) and strange spots, we are on the good side of it. Let me know if you are in agreement.

The jets have won multiple games this year with double digit penalty. In fact they won one when they had more than 20 penalties. But  because of their front 7 they can get away with it sometimes even though they have one of the worse group of skill players on offense. 8 penalties is nothing.

Archived