Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shooting At Garden State Plaza Mall In Nj

Toe Jam

Gosh, I'm wondering now if news organizations should band together and never release any information about the shooters. I'm really thinking this might be the only solution

Every crazy person with a gun wants their name up in lights nowadays

My goodness this is never going to end. Watching the swat team prepare to enter the mall now.

If these events weren't glorified, maybe people wouldn't see that it's a short trip to fame.  Reporting is one thing but it has gone overboard.  Every scumbag now gets their legit 5 minutes of fame.  Hell, some even get a nice cover on Rolling Stone (which I actually thought was blown a bit out of proportion).

Even from the small details leaking I'm pretty sure GTA will get some blame for this nuts actions.

It's been a common theme with all these shootings. Lanza, Aurora shooting, etc. all these guys were obsessive gamers

But as its been clearly explained to me, that doesn't matter

It's never any one thing when it comes to stuff like this. It's not just mentally ill people, it's not just video games, it's not just parenting, it's not just the current  state of mental health care in this country, and it's not just America's glorified gun culture. It's always many issues together... Mainly a series of failed attempts (or no attempt at all) at correcting things with people who have issues, or a series of events that create a gigantic snowball effect, where any one thing could have potentially stopped it.

To pretend that it's anything other than that, isn't really offering anything in terms of a productive conversation, and just provides a solid foundation for a good finger pointing session.

And though I generally detest the media as a whole, I must have missed where they "Glorify" issues like this.

From the eyewitnesses I've heard it doesn't seem like he was trying to kill people. They are saying that he never shot at or pointed the gun at anyone, only at mall security cameras. It's very strange and you have to wonder what the end goal was or is.

A witness on CNN is saying he was with some other guys and that he suited up in the mall. Strange.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/11/police_identify_suspect_in_paramus_mall_shooting.html

PARAMUS — Police have preliminarily identified a suspect in the Westfield Garden State Plaza mall shooting, The Star-Ledger has learned.

Two senior law enforcement officials identified the suspect as Richard Shoop. The officials, who spoke on the condition of anonymity shortly after midnight, said Shoop was 20 years old and lives in Teaneck.

The sources also said law enforcement agencies believed Shoop may still be in the vicinity of the mall this morning, and possibly still on the mall campus. Shoop, according to the sources, is employed at a restaurant in Teaneck.

Except for the part where violent crime has been going steadily downward for three decades.

which correlates to our prison population expansion and the 3 strikes laws....or we could just be getting nicer

It's never any one thing when it comes to stuff like this. It's not just mentally ill people, it's not just video games, it's not just parenting, it's not just the current  state of mental health care in this country, and it's not just America's glorified gun culture. It's always many issues together... Mainly a series of failed attempts (or no attempt at all) at correcting things with people who have issues, or a series of events that create a gigantic snowball effect, where any one thing could have potentially stopped it.

To pretend that it's anything other than that, isn't really offering anything in terms of a productive conversation, and just provides a solid foundation for a good finger pointing session.

And though I generally detest the media as a whole, I must have missed where they "Glorify" issues like this.

Glorification doesn't have to be in a literal sense.

which correlates to our prison population expansion and the 3 strikes laws....or we could just be getting nicer

Actually, as moronic mandatory sentencing from the 1980s goes out the window, the violent crime/murder rate continues to drop.  The answer is not throwing more people in prison for drug violations.  Basically then they are surrounded by actual violent criminals.

Except for the part where violent crime has been going steadily downward for three decades.

Two decades, violent crime peaked in 1991.

I think that's great and obviously very relevant. Are there statistics on "random" incidents though? Not that it's necessarily better, but motivated violent crime is a little less troubling than random incidents where people just kill for fun or at random.

I think what's so scary about these incidents is the fear that you could be playing with your kids at the park, shopping for shoes, or taking the subway to work and be a victim. So, violent crime is down which is fantastic (I'm not being sarcastic, by the way) but is there any metric that measures these random (attempted) killings?

It's been a common theme with all these shootings. Lanza, Aurora shooting, etc. all these guys were obsessive gamers

But as its been clearly explained to me, that doesn't matter

Grandpa ... first you blamed comic books, then it was rock and roll music, then rap music, then Hollywood and now video games.

A more common theme in spree violence appears to be males immersed in American culture.

Archived