Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

1 hour ago, Keith Huddleston said:

Yeah it is better than both of those, though, let us not kid ourselves, Rise of the Tomb Raider is a GREAT game. UC4 beats it on graphics (graphics will melt your face), story and characters. Give a slight edge to ROTTR on gameplay, which is truly thrilling. 

Agree ROTTR is amazing. Can't wait to see how UC4 plays 

19 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

It's a better value, I think, than the PSVR.  The PSVR is, what, $350 still, and that's without the needed eyetoy (or whatever it's called) and Move controllers you need to go along with it, and it's inferior tech tied to inferior hardware.  While I don't doubt people who say PSVR does work pretty well, a PC is just a more robust platform, and both the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive provide a superior experience with more room to grow in the future.

The big question I have for you would be your current PC situation.  Whatcha packin'?

Old toshiba Satellite (Windows 8). Currently looking for a desktop setup though. What would you recommend?

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

Old toshiba Satellite (Windows 8). Currently looking for a desktop setup though. What would you recommend?

I always start with a recommendation of building from scratch to get the best bang for your buck.  Now's probably a decent time to get into PC building (aside from the damn crypto-currency miners driving up GPU prices).  AMD just released their new Ryzen CPUs recently which brought them back into heavyweight contention in that market, and just today released their new Vega GPUs which seem to be competing pretty well with nVidia's offerings.  If you want to start a thread with a budget and asking for advice, I'm sure us computer-geeks of ES can help you pick the parts for a build.

10 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Agree ROTTR is amazing. Can't wait to see how UC4 plays 

I must not forget the soundtrack on UC4 -- its unforgettable. John Williams might as well have composed it. 

You'll see when you play that game, you won't want it to end. 

11 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

If you are in the market for a new PC, go with the Rift. I saw on Amazon for about $1300 a PC and Rift package.

If you don't want to spend that much, go with PSVR. Biggest issue between the 2 from everyone I have talked to who have both or played both is lag on PS4. If you have an original PS4, then there can also a graphics difference depending on your graphics card.

If you do go with PSVR, let me know, I can game share some of the games I have to see if you like them. I can also do a game share with you so you can see what PSVR looks like graphically before you decide. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

My limit is actually 2k, so that seems like a pretty good deal

I would go with that. It is also advantageous to look at what games you want to play. For example EVE: Valkyrie, needs a very strong graphics card in order to have the graphics and lag advantage over PS4. 

But you can get more games on Rift due to PC and Steam.

Honestly, if I could justify it, I would probably get the Rift to go along with my PSVR due to each has its own advantages and disadvantages 

Just want to add about the lag. It is only really evident when there is cross platform game play from what I have noticed. When  its PS4 vs PS4 then the lag is not as noticeable. 

In Cross platform gaming, the PCs with the high end graphics cards do look to manuever faster and hit more accurately.

13 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I've been researching building a new PC gaming rig for a while.  The price/cost is a lot more friendly and on our side now.  I have a Alienware gaming rig I bought pre-made about 6 years or so ago.  Upgraded the video card once and for most of the games that come out, I can still run fine, just not on ultra graphics settings.  I paid something like $1500 back then for it and it's nowhere close to what I can build for that right now.  

https://elitegamingcomputers.com/top-gaming-computers/

Here is one website with builds starting at $1000 and up for 4K/VR gaming.  Plenty of others out there with recommendations.  But building is the way to go now, imo.  

Here is one where a guy is doing specific Rift builds:

https://riftinfo.com/choose-your-vr-pc-budget-i-will-build-it-2017-edition

Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on getting a new PC yet is because I bought a kegerator and we were redoing/fixing up our house (new counter tops, flooring, etc.) and I'm still waiting for a few new MMORPG PvP games to drop.  But if your budget is $2K, you should be able to build a pretty damn good gaming rig with a ton of bells and whistles.

Edit:  Is the 2K budget including the purchase of the Rift?  Or strictly the PC build?

Strictly PC. Im probably just gonna get the Rift with my settlement money. I've been looking into desktops for awhile, as I've probably mentioned a few times in here.

Now is the time. Got a better chance of landing a good security gig this time around with almost a year of weekly practice at the firing range, and between my savings and what will be left of my likely settlement amount, I'll be able to absorb all the purchases

15 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Strictly PC. Im probably just gonna get the Rift with my settlement money. I've been looking into desktops for awhile, as I've probably mentioned a few times in here.

Now is the time. Got a better chance of landing a good security gig this time around with almost a year of weekly practice at the firing range, and between my savings and what will be left of my likely settlement amount, I'll be able to absorb all the purchases

Awesome man.  For 2K you will be ballin bro.  Wife probably gonna keep me at the bronze/silver level when I build one :(   

When I finally get around to building one, I'm going to build one for 4K/VR gaming, but I probably won't buy VR for a while if at all.  I wanna see where it's going before I drop $400+ on it.  

Also, to the peeps with VR already, does it make you nauseous or give y'all headaches?  Just curious.  

36 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Awesome man.  For 2K you will be ballin bro.  Wife probably gonna keep me at the bronze/silver level when I build one :(   

When I finally get around to building one, I'm going to build one for 4K/VR gaming, but I probably won't buy VR for a while if at all.  I wanna see where it's going before I drop $400+ on it.  

Also, to the peeps with VR already, does it make you nauseous or give y'all headaches?  Just curious.  

Depends on the game. Most I play, no. I battle tank game, got me a bit nauseous for about 5 mins, but after that was fine. Farpoint did at first as well when I turned on being able to spin around and more realistic movement.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/8/15/16151102/eve-valkyrie-warzone-expansion-virtual-reality-vr-pc-ps4-ccp-games

This is one of my favorite games, and it's going to be available in non-vr....so it will be VR players playing in the same game as non VR, cross platform play. CCP games has some cool **** going on, so this game could be epic.

6 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

No problem, I used it about 11 months ago when I built a new system, saved about $1000 from what I would have paid for a prebuilt system with the same specs.

This is literally what I need. If you guys are into PC gaming like this maybe we should consider putting an team together on something. Cats are getting paid for this stuff these days. 

36 minutes ago, Llevron said:

This is literally what I need. If you guys are into PC gaming like this maybe we should consider putting an team together on something. Cats are getting paid for this stuff these days. 

I wish I had the time but between family and work my gaming days are pretty much over with.

It's still worth having a powerful system even if you don't game, I work from my home office frequently and it's nice when you can have 4 different software programs open, a CRM or two, and have radio or tv running through the tuner card in the background and have no issues with lag or performance.

If anyone needs to compare cpu's or gpu's these are helpful sites.

http://cpuboss.com/

http://www.hwcompare.com/

Okay @Sinister, here's my first quick-attempt at a build.  It's a beast.  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4PdJr7

Doesn't have an optical drive, monitor, or OS, so those will probably take up the rest of your budget.

nVidia GTX 1080 Ti is the top-end GPU out there.

The AMD Ryzen 7 1700 is beast of a CPU with 8 cores and 16 threads, and it overclocks like a champ.  Benchmarks have been placing it near the level of its more expensive big brother, the Ryzen 7 1800X when overclocking.  The Noctua D15 CPU heatsink/fan should help with the overclocking.

17 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Okay @Sinister, here's my first quick-attempt at a build.  It's a beast.  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4PdJr7

Doesn't have an optical drive, monitor, or OS, so those will probably take up the rest of your budget.

nVidia GTX 1080 Ti is the top-end GPU out there.

The AMD Ryzen 7 1700 is beast of a CPU with 8 cores and 16 threads, and it overclocks like a champ.  Benchmarks have been placing it near the level of its more expensive big brother, the Ryzen 7 1800X when overclocking.  The Noctua D15 CPU heatsink/fan should help with the overclocking.

Thats a boss build.  Any chance you can toss one together on there for me, budget of $1500?  It would need to include the optical drive and OS (OD should be cheap, Windows 10 64 bit home edition I guess).   I've been researching builds, but I've been out of the PC game for 4-5 years, so I don't know all the best parts anymore, or the ones that are just as good as the best but cheaper in price.  

Also, would going 32GB of RAM be an overkill at this point?  I know the motherboard in that build can go up to 64GB, so it can always be added later, but was just curious.

9 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

How do people feel about Destiny 2? With summer coming to an end I kinda want another game to dive into. I didn't play the first Destiny too much as it was too grind-y for my tastes.

It hasn't been released yet. Coming out September 6th. 

And if you want the ultimate "summer game", it comes out in a week: Uncharted Lost Legacy. 

Just now, Warhead36 said:

How do people feel about Destiny 2? With summer coming to an end I kinda want another game to dive into. I didn't play the first Destiny too much as it was too grind-y for my tastes.

I didn't get to play the beta yet, but IIRC, they will bring your characters from Destiny over to Destiny 2.  New sub-classes for each of the three main classes, new abilities, tweaked the weapon system some.  They reduced the Crucible PvP mode to 4 vs 4 (used to be 6v6) and it supposed to be better now.  

Did you only do PvE when you tried playing the first one?  Or did you mix in the Crucible PvP?  I pretty much only did the Crucible and leveled through PvP as opposed to PvE with the missions/bounties, strikes, etc.  I ran through the story mode on easy to get ranked up to like 7 or 10 (something like that), then I just ranked through PvP and kept upgrading my armor and light levels.  

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Wasn't it on beta recently?

Yes, for those that pre-ordered above the standard edition.  

Archived