Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

36 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I loved black flag. It was badass. Sucked as an AC game but I just enjoyed it as the greatest pirate adventure gaming has ever seen. 

It was like RDR which let me have basically every western fantasy I wanted, Black flag did that with pirating. 

I'm waiting for an rpg martial arts game to do the same. Or a cop game. I thought Sleeping Dogs would satisfy the ma fantasy. Close, but no cigar

56 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'm waiting for an rpg martial arts game to do the same. Or a cop game. I thought Sleeping Dogs would satisfy the ma fantasy. Close, but no cigar

Jade Empire is an oldie but a goodie. Was out on the original Xbox, made by Bioware. I'm hoping they remaster that one at some point.

15 hours ago, Zazzaro703 said:

Sorry but you all are in the minority and the series is pretty much dead for now. 

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pause-button-hit-on-mass-effect-series-report-claims/0182304

Sold poorly, got mediocre to poor reviews and was a cash grab on huge fans of the series. They have even admitted now they gave the game to their B studio and were told to focus on combat and multiplayer and it's easy to see that with the 2000s era animations and ridiculous cheese dialog. Maybe one day it will return but it's not looking good.

Like the criticism for Andromeda, this latest news is a bit overblown. At no point did anyone from bioware or EA call it dead, that is the opinion of gaming media who basically campaigned to present the game in the worst possible light. All because they had issues with the people who worked in Bioware Montreal. 

Bioware will likely start on the next Mass Effect once Edmonton or Austin studios are freed up from their current projects. Edmonton is working on a brand new IP, Austin is working on a Star Wars game. Considering the schedules, Austin might be able to start working on it in 2018. 

The series isn't dead simply because the more senior studios can't get started on it right away. 

47 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I really want an open world cop game. Really bad. C 'mon somebody

True Crime.  First one takes place in LA, second one in NYC (Manhatten?)

I was sad that they never made made a True Crime set in Washington D.C..  So much potential there.  Instead they started making True Crime: Hong Kong and then rebranded the series to Sleeping Dogs.

Pretty good for a GTA clone.  The games weren't perfect by any means, but they stood up on their own merits.  Not as good driving as GTA had, but the gunplay and hand-to-hand combat were pretty good.  You could shoot the weapon out of a perp's hands, or shoot 'em in the kneecap in order to go in for a non-lethal take-down and cuff them.  There were various forms of martial arts you could learn and switch between.  Oh, and you could be a dick and "stop-and-frisk" looking for contraband, and could even plant evidence on people :rofl89:.

Hmm... I feel I need to play those again.

8 hours ago, Lloyds' Mongolian Beef said:

Amazing reference. I was cleaning out my parents house last year and found a slew of Monkey Island floppies in my old desk. Grog!!!

At my last job, we had a server that was named Guybrush.

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Because I have no idea who that is, I'm going to believe my point still stands

This is why your opinion on video games holds no merit and mine is exalted.

9 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

True Crime.  First one takes place in LA, second one in NYC (Manhatten?)

I was sad that they never made made a True Crime set in Washington D.C..  So much potential there.  Instead they started making True Crime: Hong Kong and then rebranded the series to Sleeping Dogs.

Pretty good for a GTA clone.  The games weren't perfect by any means, but they stood up on their own merits.  Not as good driving as GTA had, but the gunplay and hand-to-hand combat were pretty good.  You could shoot the weapon out of a perp's hands, or shoot 'em in the kneecap in order to go in for a non-lethal take-down and cuff them.  There were various forms of martial arts you could learn and switch between.  Oh, and you could be a dick and "stop-and-frisk" looking for contraband, and could even plant evidence on people :rofl89:.

Hmm... I feel I need to play those again.

I'm looking for something close to The Getaway meets Heavy Rain, if you remember those games. Deep boy in blue cop shop, maybe an alternate path/build where you go rogue, or undercover. But Patrol officer, S.W.A.T., lead detective, Rogue Cop.

Maybe something like GTAV where you face the same antagonists from multiple pov's. Story mode plus open world, where random crimes occur in the world, and pick them up via radio. like random police chases, neighborhood disturbances, drug busts, shootouts, etc, all with the potential to end different ways depending on your playstyle. Then you have a online mp cops and robbers mode or something.

It would be beautiful

15 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'm looking for something close to The Getaway meets Heavy Rain, if you remember those games. Deep boy in blue cop shop, maybe an alternate path/build where you go rogue, or undercover. But Patrol officer, S.W.A.T., lead detective, Rogue Cop.

Maybe something like GTAV where you face the same antagonists from multiple pov's. Story mode plus open world, where random crimes occur in the world, and pick them up via radio. like random police chases, neighborhood disturbances, drug busts, shootouts, etc, all with the potential to end different ways depending on your playstyle. Then you have a online mp cops and robbers mode or something.

It would be beautiful

That sounds like it'd be amazing.

But na, we'll just get another Call of Duty.

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

It would be beautiful

The first True Crime did have a story that branched in a few directions; can't remember if the second one branched.  The story was separated into chapters, but they all took place in the open world.  You'd do things like visit the police precinct or meet with a confidential informant to take on story missions.  There were some side missions.  And yes, there were random crimes that would occur that you'd get calls for over the police radio that included high-speed pursuits, drug busts, hostage situations, counterfeit operations, chop-shops, etc..  If you go rogue and start shooting up innocents, eventually you'll hear a call come over the police scanner about a rogue cop who needs to be taken down and you'll have the po-po all up in yo ass.

Oh, and one of them had a bonus mode where you play as Method Man, and the other had a bonus mode where you play as Snoop Dog.

But yeah, if you're okay with older games, (PS2/Xbox/GCN era) you should give them a try.  Might not be quite the game you're dreaming of, but it's worth a look.

Pretty strong cast of voice-actors, too, including Christopher Walken, Gary Oldman, Ron Perlman, James Hong, Lawrence Fishburne, Mickey Rourke, and Michele Rodriguez.

2 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

This is why your opinion on video games holds no merit and mine is exalted.

The only person that got your reference brought up a floppy disk lol I think I'm good 

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

It would be beautiful

I kinda had hopes this is what BF hardline might be but nope. 

I think the Detroit: Become Human game has a lot of potential depending on how much police work you get to do. We've discussed that before 

LA noire was a lot of fun too though the interrogations were a bit disappointing being one of the major selling points. But it was fun uncovering the mysteries and solving the cases and just doing police/detective work. They should expand on that idea imo

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

The only person that got your reference brought up a floppy disk lol I think I'm good

The golden era of adventure gaming was back when games were still on floppy.  Continued briefly into the age of the CD.

Just now, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Sadly, the Only games I played on my computer back then were the original Oregon trail and math blasters 

Oregon Trail was legit.  But so were the old adventure games.  Guybrush Threepwood is from perhaps the most popular of them, the Monkey Island series (by Tim Schaffer while he was an employee of Lucas Arts).

There were other great games of the nature then, though.  On the topic of Cop games, there was the Police Quest series.  I think I read somewhere that some police departments actually used that game as it got some of the finer details right in following protocol.  One example would be that you have to lock your gun up in a storage box before going into interrogation.  If you fail to do so and interrogate your suspect with your gun still on you, he'll grab it and turn it on you.

There were a few brilliant Star Trek adventure games, too (and if you got the CD version rather than the floppy version, it came with voice-acting from the original cast; I think it was the last time DeForrest Kelley played Bones).  The games are still the best Star Trek games ever made even after 25 years.  And now it hits me that those games are as old now as Star Trek itself was when they came out.

Only scratched the surface of fantastic adventure games.

Just now, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I'm going to have to look into those then. I've wanted Oregon trail for while.

for most of them, you should be able to run them in a program called ScummVM.  Named after Lucas Arts' adventure engine SCUMM (itself an acronym for Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion), it's free open source program designed expressly for the purpose of running old adventure games, and has added support for a lot of the old adventure game engines.

On that note, another adventure game worth knowing is Beneath A Steel Sky.  Scifi adventure in a dystopian future where the only inhabitable land remaining is in Australia.  Covers pretty serious themes, but doesn't hold back on the humor.  The developers of the game (Revolution; makers of the Broken Sword series which saw a new installment within the past couple years) made it freeware some time ago and is available completely legally on the ScummVM site. http://www.scummvm.org/games

For some of the other games that didn't come on some of the more major adventure game engines, you'll have to set up dosbox to be able to run the games.  I think that would be the case with the Star Trek ones (25th anniversary and Judgment Rites).  They really are great though; feels like a continuation of the original TV series complete with space battles, diplomacy, away missions, and science.  Ship's computer is loaded with information if you know what to query (sadly they didn't get Majel Barrett to voice it :()

I've got more recommendations depending on what kind of adventure interests you.  I, myself, probably need to get back into them since there's so many I have yet to play.  I actually haven't played the Monkey Island games yet, but knowing they're the work of Tim Schaffer should be all the endorsement they need.

I also know a few modern adventure games that are pretty good now that the genre has seen a renaissance.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Keith Huddleston said:

Anyone play Injustice 2 yet? Is it as good as advertised? 

Looks unbelievable. Didn't get the first one because I was under the assumption that it was online based and character building.

.I have to get this. Unfortunately by the time I get around to it, Injustice 3 will probably be out. Hell, i have yet to play MKX, and Tekken 7 is close to release as well.

Im forever a hamster running on a wheel

Archived