Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Xbox One Vs Ps4

DM72

No :(

New Vegas wasn't bad. Not as good as Fallout 3, but still pretty damn good.

FFX remastered comes out tomorrow. Tempted to get it, but then you got Witcher 3 next week, which apparently is gonna be the best thing since sliced bread. I played a little bit of Witcher 1 on PC and hated the combat, hope 3 is better. Normally I don't like getting into RPGs like this midway(or near the end)but there is no way I'm gonna go back and play the first 2. I guess I'll just read about the story on wikipedia or something.

Okay well I decided on and purchased my processor. I went with the Intel i7-4790K. I've pretty much decided on the EVGA gtx 960 graphics card as well but that's as far as I've got. Still doing research.

*looks at thread title*

LOL

You CPU guys crack me up.

In all seriousness, that processor seems legit.  I'm an AMD fan, had too many i9s burn up on me.

*looks at thread title*

LOL

You CPU guys crack me up.

In all seriousness, that processor seems legit. I'm an AMD fan, had too many i9s burn up on me.

Ah I'm an console guy, always have been. This is my first step into the CPU gaming world.

Ah I'm an console guy, always have been. This is my first step into the CPU gaming world.

Just messin homie.

PCs are vastly superior in every way.  My laptop had more computing and gpu power 4 years ago than the 'next gen' consoles today.

Unfortunately, HP doesn't know how to cool said fusion reactor lol

Just messin homie.

PCs are vastly superior in every way. My laptop had more computing and gpu power 4 years ago than the 'next gen' consoles today.

Unfortunately, HP doesn't know how to cool said fusion reactor lol

It's all good dude lol.

Yeah I'm pretty excited about the build.

No :(

New Vegas on PC with all the mods that make gameplay and the graphics/textures better is like an entirely new awesome game which was pretty damn good to begin with. One of the mods even added an entire huge new area in California with new quests, items and stuff. I think there is even a mod that completely adds Fallout 3 to New Vegas so can play both games and visit both worlds in the New Vegas engine. It also goes on sale all the time, def worth picking up New Vegas on steam during a sale and then bettering the game with mods. There are simple mods too which just make the AI better, the battles more realistic... Stuff like that. Josh Sawyer, one of the main Devs, even released a harder difficulty mod for New Vegas. So, if going to get new vegas, the PC/steam version is BY FAR the way to go if your PC can run it. It's not even a consideration that the PC version at this moment in time destroys any version of new vegas on console. Just google best mods for fallout new vegas, download the mod manager, modify the game into Fallout: New Super Vegas and then enjoy an incredible game.

Okay well I decided on and purchased my processor. I went with the Intel i7-4790K. I've pretty much decided on the EVGA gtx 960 graphics card as well but that's as far as I've got. Still doing research.

That's the CPU I have and it is excellent so good choice. Can you afford a GTX 970? You get that and won't need a new card for 3-4 years. It's worth the extra cash. When getting a GPU, def shop around. Some of the companies make better versions of the same card. Getting a 770 with 4gigs video RAM is also not that much of a drop off from some of the 900 series cards. I plan to upgrade my 770 2gigs card to a 970 this summer. Nowadays 4gigs video ram goes a long way and these newer games like Witcher 3 really utilizes the 4gigs video ram. Also invest in a great cooling system. Do not go cheap on that as things get really hot and could fry your parts without proper cooling.

IIRC this is your first major foray into PC gaming so I still rec you pay the extra money for a company like cyberpowerpc.com to put everything together for you. Then you slowly learn yourself how to mess around and upgrade parts one at a time rather than doing it all yourself for the first time. That's i how learned. Bought pretty good base unit, then every year or so upgraded things one at a time. GPU one year, RAM next, some hard drives, a CPU.... Then when comes time to maybe get a brand new PC 5 years down the road, you will know how to tinker with everything yourself.

Building it yourself right now for the first time is def doable, but if I were you I'd make sure someone that knows what they are doing and could bail you out if you need help is either there with you helping you build it, or is available to come over to your place to help you. Simple things like not using enough thermal paste or even a cheap brand of thermal paste could fry your CPU before you even get the thing running. Not using static wrist guards when touching the parts again could send a shock into one of the parts and ruin it before even getting your PC functioning. When you know what you are doing, building your own PC is def the way to go... When it's your first time, def good to have someone around that can help make sure the small stupid things that could ruin the entire system don't happen because you are aware of them.

With steam machines coming to living rooms soon and more and more people connecting their PCs to their HDTVs..... this thread should be retitled PS4 Vs XBONE Vs Pc Gaming.

Yeah the GTX 970 is what I researched today and after reading some bad reviews on the 960 I decided against it. I was going to go with the Cooler Master Evo 212 fan instead of liquid cooling and ballistix 16GB DDR3. I think I've decided on an Samsung SSD as well, probably 120gb but that's about as far as I am at the moment.

As far as putting it together, a friend of mine from work builds gaming rigs so he's going to help me with it. I actually thought about letting microcenter build it but I figured I'll just give it a shot.

Damn. Was thinking about picking up both Fallout games and then Zazz goes and posts about playing it on PC instead. Now I'll feel defeated if i get New Vegas for PS3

It's still a good game on PS3, the mods on PC just make it better on PC. Pretty much any game that is on consoles and PC is going to be better on the PC in the long run if the Devs release mod tools and the game is good enough to have a mod community for the game. The good news is more and more Devs and their companies are creating dev tools and allowing/releasing them to the public. Some of the mods the mod community creates for free are just unbelievable and make some games sooooo much better.

Yeah the GTX 970 is what I researched today and after reading some bad reviews on the 960 I decided against it. I was going to go with the Cooler Master Evo 212 fan instead of liquid cooling and ballistix 16GB DDR3. I think I've decided on an Samsung SSD as well, probably 120gb but that's about as far as I am at the moment.

As far as putting it together, a friend of mine from work builds gaming rigs so he's going to help me with it. I actually thought about letting microcenter build it but I figured I'll just give it a shot.

I'm sorry didn't fully understand the GPU part of your post. Said you were researching the 970, saw bad reviews on 960 and decided against it. Decided against the 960 or the 970? The 970s you def have to do your research because again a few companies make them. This is the 970 I wanted to get but it was a special limited edition so it's not in stock at newegg at the moment but here it is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127837

You will need a much bigger SSD than 120gigs because you'll def want your OS on the SSD which will take a lot of the space. Currently I have a 250gb SSD with a regular terabyte HD for the not so beefy sized games and other stuff. Planning on getting another 250gb SSD though to primarily just have Star Citizen on it and maybe one more game or two on it. My current 250gb SSD is only big enough for Windows 8.1 and a handful of the bigger triple a titles that are 15-20+ gigs each.

If your friend builds rigs and knows what he is doing, def order things part by part but def run things by him because again some parts for some reason don't place nice together. Personally I hate AMD and will only get intel and nvidia products. Once I got an AMD gpu and my system was funky and would blue screen all the time... Finally replaced it with a 560ti a bunch of years ago and never had an issue since then with it (its my old backup rig now). Never again will I use AMD, plus the graphics driver updates are not as frequent as nvidia. One last thing too is a lot of Devs these days develop with nvidia cards because you see the nvidia logo and "best played with nvidia" message when loading newer games. I'm sure AMD cards are good as well, I just had a bad experience with their brand and have seen first hand Devs using Nvidia more than AMD. A lot of these early access games on PC people have issues with AMD cards and drivers because the Devs are using nvidia cards.

Sorry, one final thing you could do again is build a PC at cyberpowerpc and then just take note of the parts and buy them separately. They normally don't stick parts that don't play nice together in the build options when putting your PC together on their site. Or, look at their pre built ones around $1400 and see if you can score all those parts off different sites for a total of like 800. Just a couple more things you could do to get a better idea about what you want and getting the best bang for your buck. Last thing is you don't have to get all brand new parts now either. You can cut a small corner or two knowing prices will come down and you can always upgrade parts. Goodluck, ordering all the parts, building it, then reaping the rewards with awesome gaming sessions is a great feeling.

I have tried to game on a PC and while I understand that PC's have much more potential, I just don't like the feel of playing on a CPU. A console just feels better (the controls) to me.  Even plugging in a controller to a PC just doesn't feel the same for what ever reason.  I'd rather have the consistent experience with a console.

I wouldn't mind building a HTPC that I could also do some light gaming on.

You can build a low/medium gaming PC pretty cheap.  My graphics card is old and still runs all the games on ultra with a very decent to great FPS rate.  I've been out of PC gaming after Wildstar Online was out and Zarr and I gave that a try.  

I want to get back into it, but none of the games have a strong PvP element right now.  **** grinding for hours only to have a mediocre PvP experience end game.  

Well I picked up my motherboard today. I went with an ASUS Maximus VII Hero. Also picked up an Cooler Master Evo 212. Got a pretty good deal on the motherboard from MicroCenter so that was cool.

Either way, the build is coming along.

Archived