Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Csn: Hankerson On Pace For Career Year Aka A Hankering For Hankerson,

SWFLSkins

Moss has been excellent in his reduced role, which he slid into without a peep. Moss is one of the most crucial cogs on this team.

Hank will get it and hes doing geat for a young guy, im gladmits starting to really click.

You realize that Santana Moss has been targeted 29 times this season and has only caught 15 balls?

And just from memory, he killed our 2nd drive with a wide-open drop that hit him square in the hands on 3rd down. It was our second straight 3-and-out; against a good team, enough of those missed easy 3rd down conversions will lose us the game. Hell, it contributed to the early 0-14 hole we were put in.

(also, for the record, Aldrick Robinson has 1 catch in 6 targets this season. It's looking like we only have 2 sure-fire receivers on the roster next year. No wonder we're giving tryouts to Darrel Green's son, Mohamed Massaquoi, etc.)

Hankerson has always been a good WR in my mind and I'm glad he is much more consistent than he's been previously, which is to be expected considering his hip injury stunting his growth as well as the lockout.

That being said, I've always maintained that he could be elite. One of the best. He has the tools, but he's not there yet. I have yet to see the type of aggressive catches that seperate the elite WRs from the rest from him, who even our very own Garçon is capable of.

Somehow that's always been seen as a slight on him, but it's not. All it means is if he just develops that confident aggression he could literally be as good as guys like Fitzgerald and Brandon Marshall in my mind.

But, in the end, if he stays where he's at right now that's a good thing. He's a solid no. 2 already to me and I felt that way since last season.

And in all this hoopla, where (again) is the highly touted Aldrick Robinson???

1 catch in 4 games.

Gimme a freaking break.

and at least that many drops :doh:

Was this just a drive by? No elaboration to the retorts? Are you better than that? 

While it clearly states it in the OP, I may see what the person is asking.  He's on a career year, but only by Hankerson's standards, which isn't saying much.  He avoids contact and doesn't make the tough catch.  He's had some key drops, too.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, every single look for Hank in 2012. I see the potential that I knew was there and now is coming to fruition. 

damn Hank ... that throw at the 3:58 mark was a thing of beauty. He has to come down with that. 

Hank runs like a 57 Chevy pick up! 

Hankerson has always been a good WR in my mind and I'm glad he is much more consistent than he's been previously, which is to be expected considering his hip injury stunting his growth as well as the lockout.

That being said, I've always maintained that he could be elite. One of the best. He has the tools, but he's not there yet. I have yet to see the type of aggressive catches that seperate the elite WRs from the rest from him, who even our very own Garçon is capable of.

Somehow that's always been seen as a slight on him, but it's not. All it means is if he just develops that confident aggression he could literally be as good as guys like Fitzgerald and Brandon Marshall in my mind.

But, in the end, if he stays where he's at right now that's a good thing. He's a solid no. 2 already to me and I felt that way since last season.

You and I are chewing the same gum...

I have been one of Hank's harshest critics for this simple fact that he not aggressive enough when going for the catches in single or double coverage... which most of the time he has the height advantage.

in 2001, the leading rookie WRs were...Rod Gardner and Chris Chambers.

Also in that same draft class:

Chad Johnson,Steve Smith,Santana Moss, TJ Whosyomama, and Reggie Wayne.

A lot of great WRs look like busts their first couple of years. Hankerson isn't looking like a worldbeater yet, but if he emerges as a solid #3 or better, that means he was a good value for a 3rd rounder. Not every mid rounder turns into Brandon Marshall. I think people's hate/skepticism/frustration is rooted in Hank's extraordinary raw physical prowess which has not provided returns comparable to his potential. The dilemna for our front office will be what to offer him to re-sign once his rookie contract runs out. Will he soar as he reaches past the initial learning curve, or will his physical gifts always be compromised by mental or instinctual limitations that forever relegate him to role player status. The jury is still out, but he has at least earned his draft status.

And in all this hoopla, where (again) is the highly touted Aldrick Robinson???

1 catch in 4 games.

Gimme a freaking break.

Yeah, Robinson must be our modern day Taylor Jacobs, the WR who looks all-pro during practice, but it never translates to the field.  In regards to Hankerson, he has been a bright spot this year and I hope he continues to grow.  He has the tools to be a pretty beastly WR.  I hope he evolves into that.

I'm sorry, but whatever amazing potential people are seeing in him, I'm still not. He's not particularly fast, has so-so hands, doesn't beat defenders for tough catches, and doesn't get much YAC.

Hank is currently 61st in catches and 65th in receiving yards in the NFL. Among 3rd year players, Hankerson ranks 12th in both yards and receptions (he was the 9th WR drafted). He's been an ok possession receiver this year and has certainly played better than the suddenly invisible Josh Morgan, but if we're being realistic, that's about it. He doesn't stand out in any way.

So far we've played the 14th, 21st, 28th, and 31st ranked pass defenses, let's see what he's on pace for in a few weeks before we declare he's anything more than a mediocre #3 receiver.

*FAN ENRAGEMENT ACTIVATED*

INITIATING ESCAPE TO TAILGATE PROTOCOL

I'm sorry, but whatever amazing potential people are seeing in him, I'm still not. He's not particularly fast, has so-so hands, doesn't beat defenders for tough catches, and doesn't get much YAC.

Hank is currently 61st in catches and 65th in receiving yards in the NFL. Among 3rd year players, Hankerson ranks 12th in both yards and receptions (he was the 9th WR drafted). He's been an ok possession receiver this year and has certainly played better than the suddenly invisible Josh Morgan, but if we're being realistic, that's about it. He doesn't stand out in any way.

So far we've played the 14th, 21st, 28th, and 31st ranked pass defenses, let's see what he's on pace for in a few weeks before we declare he's anything more than a mediocre #3 receiver.

I agree with you on that he doesn't make tough catches, but Hank actually is pretty fast and has good hands. The problem is his acceleration sucks(takes him longer to reach top speed), and he has concentration issues(which explains how he makes tough catches regularly but drops the easy ones).

and at least that many drops :doh:

While it clearly states it in the OP, I may see what the person is asking.  He's on a career year, but only by Hankerson's standards, which isn't saying much.  He avoids contact and doesn't make the tough catch.  He's had some key drops, too.

IF you watch that video from last year with all his looks, he makes some tough catches and key catches on down and distance. Credit where credit is due. And thanks for elaborating, but for Mi the question was addressed but he didn't come back to discuss, that's all. 

I like the response, but I don't agree, we weren't in here proclaiming sudden greatness. Just a march forward and not backward in development. He was third in production last year and is currently in second, the coach is saying good things about his awareness and development. The guy has been getting mud slung on him since coming here, and still does today. I think much of it unfairly. HE is coming along, and for a third rounder in his second full season that should warrant an atta-boy. 

Pierre Garcon WR 4 4 29 44 25.9 339 11.7 2 44 3 84.8 0 0 18 62.1 Leonard Hankerson WR 4 3 15 22 12.9 185 12.3 2 27 2 46.2 0 0 10 66.7 Santana Moss WR 4 0 15 26 15.3 172 11.5 1 19 0 43.0 0 0 12 80.0 Josh Morgan WR 4 1 9 14 8.2 115 12.8 0 21 1 28.8 0 0 7 77.8

Do those other 3rd year wrs also split time?

SWFL - that video was fun to watch. I actually feel even better about Hank now.

Said, differently, Garcon is feisty, tough and clutch.  I wouldn't use any of those words to describe Hankerson but if he becomes that, I think he can be excellent, because he definitely has talent.  so far, IMO he's the clear #2.  He's played well.  Morgan on the other hand hasn't IMO stepped up yet.  

Hankerson is clearly improving, but whether or not his ceiling is all that high is a matter for some debate. Honestly, I don't see a guy who is good after the catch, and I do see a guy who sometimes loses his concentration and drops passes because he heard footsteps. He's not particularly fast, agile, etc. but those aren't always problems with a WR. If his production is in the 700-800 yard range I'll be satisfied with that, but I don't personally hold out much hope that someday he'll be a 1,000 yard receiver. I don't think we have a 1,000 yard receiver on the roster, not even in Garcon (though he is "on pace" for much more than that- whatever the hell that's worth...)

If we can win the division and put up lots of points without having a 1,000 yard receiver I don't really care about that either.

While I'm happy to see Hankerson make strides, he still has a ways to go.

IMO, the team could use a better receiving threat at #2 wide receiver, so Hankerson can be the #3 guy. Maybe this will take place in the offseason when cap room will be available once again.

Yes, there are times when he flashes one of the most over-used words on here to describe Redskins players and that is "potential." I think him being our number two is more of an indictment of our over-rated depth at WR. Yes, he's made strides, but can you honestly look at this guy and say defenses are going to fear him?

In other words? I'm with Botched on this one.

I think Hankerson is a steady improver making a number of refinements rather than big jumps.

Loved the bit about reading the opposition eyes and hand signals and relaying it back.  All the guys should be doing that, but nice to read he mentally gets that far into the what and why of football.  Guys like that tend to have long productive careers. 

How do people rate his blocking?  I haven't had anything jump out at me from that side of his game yet, but have noticed at times he can get about as open as it can get with all those players in a confined TV size view.  With the improvement we're seeing from Griffin I expect his final season numbers will be nicely up on what his current projection is.

A career year at this pace would be around 700 yards and 6-7 TD's. I was hoping this kid would turn out to be another Shanahan mid round WR gem (a la Brandon Marshall) but its looking unlikely.

Not a WR but as a pass catcher Jordan Reed has started with a bang, but then Mike did say he wasn't planning on a TE but he was too good to pass up.  That was after the CB, in Amerson, we needed with our first pick of the draft and the second off season 18m down.  To be going luxury pick at that point is looking to have turned out well in the pick himself, kid is balling already and is only going to get better.

That's because with people like you, he's either Jerry Rice in his prime or he is a BUST. :rolleyes:

No middle ground.

If the measuring stick for every WR is elite or nothing, folks are going to be disappointed with most WRs coming out of college.

Hankerson is clearly improving, but whether or not his ceiling is all that high is a matter for some debate. Honestly, I don't see a guy who is good after the catch, and I do see a guy who sometimes loses his concentration and drops passes because he heard footsteps. He's not particularly fast, agile, etc. but those aren't always problems with a WR. If his production is in the 700-800 yard range I'll be satisfied with that, but I don't personally hold out much hope that someday he'll be a 1,000 yard receiver. I don't think we have a 1,000 yard receiver on the roster, not even in Garcon (though he is "on pace" for much more than that- whatever the hell that's worth...)

If we can win the division and put up lots of points without having a 1,000 yard receiver I don't really care about that either.

Garcon is beastly. He may be the most talented receiver in the east outside of dez Bryant.

Im reserved on hankerson, I like what he's done so far but I hope he gets more aggressive. If he does that, teams won't know who to double.

Does anyone have any idea how often he gets open without the help of a pick or rub? It seems like picks/rubs have accounted for many of the instances where our WRs not named Garcon have gotten open. I don't say this as a slight against Hank; I think he's been our 2nd best WR after Garcon and I'd like to see him on field in place of Morgan more often. I'm just curious as to how he fares on his own.

Garcon is beastly. He may be the most talented receiver in the east outside of dez Bryant.

Im reserved on hankerson, I like what he's done so far but I hope he gets more aggressive. If he does that, teams won't know who to double.

2013 thus far........

Cruz - 26 rec, 425 yards, 4 TD

Garcon - 29 rec, 339 yards, 2 TD

Bryant - 23 rec, 282 yards, 4 TD

Agreed that Garcon is a beast (he's on pace for a similar yardage total to what Dez put up last year, and that's without a single deep ball), but I think Cruz still wins by default if nothing else; there've been mitigating circumstances for Garcon ( 2nd fiddle to Wayne & co in Indy, terrible QB in 2011, injury in 2012), but until he actually puts up a Cruz-like season over 16 games, he can't be ranked ahead of Cruz.

Archived