Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Csn: Hankerson On Pace For Career Year Aka A Hankering For Hankerson,

SWFLSkins

Do those other 3rd year wrs also split time?

SWFL - that video was fun to watch. I actually feel even better about Hank now.

Right, once all strung together you start to get a feel for his year in totality. Not just the memorable drops or TD's, but the down and distance and how hard he was trying to get some YAC. Seems he was muti-tackled many times. A lot of out patterns made me think of Monk. 

Said, differently, Garcon is feisty, tough and clutch.  I wouldn't use any of those words to describe Hankerson but if he becomes that, I think he can be excellent, because he definitely has talent.  so far, IMO he's the clear #2.  He's played well.  Morgan on the other hand hasn't IMO stepped up yet.  

Don't disagree with that assessment at all. I think it comes with confidence which he seems to be gaining.

That's because with people like you, he's either Jerry Rice in his prime or he is a BUST. :rolleyes:

No middle ground.

If the measuring stick for every WR is elite or nothing, folks are going to be disappointed with most WRs coming out of college.

Throw in a mention of the Comb and Thomas and you sum up my thread nicely. He is doing well for a third rounder as he is developing. That's all. 

A career year at this pace would be around 700 yards and 6-7 TD's. I was hoping this kid would turn out to be another Shanahan mid round WR gem (a la Brandon Marshall) but its looking unlikely.

By the numbers yes, but could still turn out to be quite productive and please consider how this offense is spreading the ball around as it relates to the number of opportunities Hank gets and the fact that clearly Garcon is the number one, getting the looks of say BM, so the comparison is not really fair. 

That's because with people like you, he's either Jerry Rice in his prime or he is a BUST. :rolleyes:

No middle ground.

If the measuring stick for every WR is elite or nothing, folks are going to be disappointed with most WRs coming out of college.

Mediocre is the definition of middle ground.

Did you even read my post?

What's the bar then?  He is really in his second year and is developing nicely, that is all that is being said. The comments from the WR coach backups that he is seeing things on the field well. That shows he has leadership potential. He is developing as a no. 2 on this team right now, he was the no. 3 in production last year. He takes a lot of hits for dropping balls but he can't get credit for showing growth?

He's in his third year.

The bar for his career best so far would be over 38 receptions, 543 yards, and 3 TDs. That's a low bar.

The bar for an actually excellent WR by the standards of the rest of the league would probably be at least double that. He's not on pace to come close to that this year.

He's certainly growing, but he's grown slowly and was almost a total non factor his first two seasons in the NFL. If you're benchmarking his progress relative to the low pace he's set within his own career, it's a pretty weak claim to say he's getting better and be satisfied with that.

I don't think he's anything special. I think if he was, he'd have shown us a lot more by now.

He's in his third year.

The bar for his career best so far would be over 38 receptions, 543 yards, and 3 TDs. That's a low bar.

The bar for an actually excellent WR by the standards of the rest of the league would probably be at least double that. He's not on pace to come close to that this year.

He's certainly growing, but he's grown slowly and was almost a total non factor his first two seasons in the NFL. If you're benchmarking his progress relative to the low pace he's set within his own career, it's a pretty weak claim to say he's getting better and be satisfied with that.

I don't think he's anything special. I think if he was, he'd have shown us a lot more by now.

It certainly doesn't help that he was on IR after his second/third start in 2011...his rookie year because of a torn labrum.

I don't think that anyone in this thread is saying that he is going to be an all time great for us...simply that he has been making some serious strides and has been upping his game.

He was a third round draft pick who is turning into a solid player for this team and I for one am excited for that and look forward to seeing further development and further improvement.

He's doing fine for a 3rd round pick. I think ppl were expecting a Irvin/Johnson-level talent because he came from the U and had good size.

He's a solid #2-3 and does his job pretty well. If you're expecting him to snatch away the #1 spot and be a pro bowler, then I think that's unfair. He's been really solid this year. We are still going to need another playmaker WR IMO. 

As far as Aldrick goes, he develops really nicely in Madden at least  :D

My biggest disappointment with his play is on contested balls. If he's covered, he just doesn't seem to fight for the ball. In spite of the size differences, Moss is much more likely to win such battles than Hank.

That's my biggest concern. He don't think he has it in him.

Why can't we get lucky?. Where is our Victor Cruz???

I haven't been impressed with hankerson or morgan, they both have been mediocre, hence why they both share time at the #2 spot. Personally I would love to find a stud #1 and move garcon to the #2 spot but then again 90% of the league would also love to find a stud #1. lol  :)

My biggest disappointment with his play is on contested balls. If he's covered, he just doesn't seem to fight for the ball. In spite of the size differences, Moss is much more likely to win such battles than Hank.

This is something i've noticed alot with all of the receivers except Garcon. Even in years past, to see a Redskin WR go up and snag the ball out of the air vs a DB was a rare sight; they always seemed to wait for the ball to drop in their hands. It gets frustrating to see this style of play, when other WRs in the league are going up after the ball, making plays.

Hankerson has done better this year, but i'm not ready to start patting him on the back just yet. IMO he's progressed from poor to just below average, and I say that because of consistency issues he has. Lets see him continue to progress, make big plays, get separation, and especially catch the balls that are catchable; its getting old hearing excuses for these guys that the ball was behind them or a little high.

Catching 2 then dropping 1 needs to rise to catching 7-8 and dropping 1 before I can consider him to have gotten better.

That's my biggest concern. He don't think he has it in him.

Why can't we get lucky?. Where is our Victor Cruz???

It's positively scary how bad we've been at drafting wide receivers.

The most successful wideout we've drafted since our last Super Bowl was probably Michael Westbrook. And he only had 1 above average season in his entire career. I'm not sure there's a team in the NFL that has a worse history of drafting wide receivers than us.

Alfred Morris perhaps...

Think we got pretty lucky on that one...

we've had nice running backs here in Washington in the last few years. I'm talking about receivers.

I did mention "Victor Cruz."

We have a Cruz (all pro caliber skill player who was  low round/fa acquisition), his name is Alfred Morris.

Cruz is not a running back.

I'm talking receivers here.

It's positively scary how bad we've been at drafting wide receivers.

The most successful wideout we've drafted since our last Super Bowl was probably Michael Westbrook. And he only had 1 above average season in his entire career. I'm not sure there's a team in the NFL that has a worse history of drafting wide receivers than us.

This is what I'm talking about. We have bad luck with that skill position.

Then on top of that, Lloyd leaves here and put up very decent numbers. *sigh lol

To me, "wait and see" means a player is underperforming. We've said that about every wide receiver we've drafted in the last 20+ years.

Well then he is not wait and see, he is developing thus far, last year no. 3 in production, this year no. 2 that is development from a third year player who only played two years full. 

This from Keim today:

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/1342/five-questions-facing-washingtons-offense

5. Has Leonard Hankerson finally emerged? Well, he has definitely matured as a receiver, but emerged? He needs to have a couple big games first (50 yards or less in each of his past three games; one catch over 20 yards). For now he’s an improved receiver who has sharpened his route running, able to create separation off his cuts. It's a good start. The 17-yard catch-and-run Sunday out of the stack formation was a nice example of this; he conned the defensive back into thinking he was going outside through patience and obviously direction, allowing Santana Moss to screen the defender. When Hankerson cut back inside, the middle was wide open. He doesn’t scare a defense, but he can at least help. And with Josh Morgan not doing a whole lot, Hankerson will continue getting more chances. Believe it or not, Griffin’s passer rating is highest when targeting Hankerson (124.2). He’s on pace for 60 catches, 10 more than a year ago -- a combination of more pass attempts by Griffin and improved play.

Interesting stat that supports the arguement that Hank is continuing to have a positive impact on the offensive production of this team so far in the year.

Leanard Hankerson is replaceable. Maybe he can get on with the Circus, since he's able to juggle.lol

Thanks for adding such positive vibes to any and every player discussion thread we have here.

You don't bust all the receiving records at Da U if you can't ball. The guy had major hop surgery, and he's becoming a very solid piece for us. Why is that so hard to acknowledge and be happy about?

Thanks for adding such positive vibes to any and every player discussion thread we have here.

You don't bust all the receiving records at Da U if you can't ball. The guy had major hop surgery, and he's becoming a very solid piece for us. Why is that so hard to acknowledge and be happy about?

For whatever reason Hank takes a bunch of flak and somehow does not deserve any time to develop. I don't know that our fan base overall has any real patience when it comes to players developing. I am impressed that while rebuilding the roster somehow Shanny has gotten a QB, a RB, a WR and a TE that all have all pro potential. Whether they realize that potential is not the question,  at the least we have players who have that potential. The purpose of this thread was not to proclaim Hanks arrival, but that he is getting better. He, unlike Robinson and Morgan is producing better than last year and also better this year. 

Hank is finally learning to actually run after the catch.  By that I mean, actually keeps his balance and attempts to run instead of falling on his own every time.  (Randle El,  Jabar Gaffney)

He is still very timid going over the middle.  Unacceptable

Hands are not reliable, we know that. 

He plays extremely slow.  

Not a big play guy AT ALL.  at allllllllllllllll.  No going up for the catch, no deep threat, no breaking tackles, no screen plays for big yardage.  He is the least explosive player on the roster.  (besides Niles Paul becuase he will drop 100 out of 100 balls thrown his way)

He slid short of a first down marker late in a crucial game last season (4:34 in the video).  It takes no talent to fight.  He gave no effort. Briscoe is the same type of player but he will fight.  Plus he is more established, bigger and younger!

Maybe someone lit a fire under him.  But it's too little too late.  Morgan has fought since day 1.  Morgan has earned that spot.  It will take a huge turn around for me to forgive him for a lack of effort last season.

Maybe if he gets his eyes fixed like carlos rogers, then he can develop into consistent possesion guy, because he does run crisp routes.  He does find the soft spot in zones.  Plus he can block and run the double move.

With all that said, the hip injury was serious.  Maybe all of this is due to injury.  I do hope he continues to recover and regain the speed he had at the U.

Most likely because its simply easier to blindly hate on players when the team is struggling without recognizing that we do have a very promising group of players that are - and will continue to - develop within this system.

Nobody in this thread is claiming that Hank is the second coming of Calvin Johnson...just that he has taken several strides in the right direction. Of course people are going to want to tear the guy down and rip him to shreds...afterall we are 1-3...everyone sucks.

Once we start winning this atmosphere will dissipate.

Briscoe is the same type of player but he will fight.  Plus he is more established, bigger and younger!

There was so much wrong I couldn't get to all of it, so I wanted to address just this above. Ok whose numbers are whose? 

TOTAL 43 502 11.7 54 7 1 1 1.0 1 0 0 0

Height: 6-2   Weight: 210   Age: 24

TOTAL 66 891 13.5 68 5 2 5 2.5 3 0 0 0

Height: 6-2   Weight: 211   Age: 24

I am pleased to no end that Kyle is running routes that use him to his strengths. Garcon is our beast, Moss our vet, and the rest are still young and learning.  

This may not be an apt comparison but he remains me a bit of Henry Ellard. What a quiet stud he was; his impressive first down / catch ratio, and nice fat YPC stats. Ellard was not physical. He beat you with precision, and a coach that used him to his strengths. Let him run that deep out, versus say the short slant. Hank has size and can do more in the short game, but in the end, is using his great route running and precision to help our offense.

I know the Ellard comparison may be far off, but then who he is a better comparison? Big guy, great routes, good speed. 

Dont you say it  He was a running back  ;)

Archived