Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trent Williams Owning Johnny Jolly - Video.

MartinC

Good news - and good performances have been in short supply so far this season. Just to lighten the mood a little here is a snip I saw on Twitter of a video of Trent taking Jolly for ride on a run block on Sunday. It's almost like that scene on Blindside when Oher blocks the DE off the field and dumps him in the stand.

We have a number of issues on this squad - LT is not one of them! Enjoy ....

http://t.co/TU9uiFwKYs

I liked the catch and run by Garçon when Lichtensteiger and Trent were downfield printing as lead blockers. I think it was on a bubble screen.

I loved that, too, except the fact that Garcon probably would've taken it to the house if Trent William's massive behind wasn't in his way as he sped up, lol. 

It was actually pretty funny. 

What a follow on guy from Chris we got.  Nice double team and peel off by Lichtensteiger too in this play.  He was also up with Trent on the play IrepDC talks about ^.  We need a closer to Trent level of anchor/impact at OC and RT too.  Hopefully Leribeus figures out the really easy way to lose weight is before you eat the food and becomes that interior guy we're looking for and Compton's continuing time in an NFL weight room makes him that solution at RT.  

We're not going to have much CAP for FAs after we resign all the guys whose contracts are up and it's time we saw what a Shanahan team looks like with a Redskin OL.  Is our OL coach any good?  And how easy is it to get an impact potential starting interior OL towards the end of the 2nd round with our 1st pick of the draft?

Yea Trent is playing out of his mind. We basically have the holy grail or offense. Franchise Qb, great running back, stud LT, and legit #1 receiver. We will get it going very soon

You know I'm sat reading this and I'm wondering if we've ever had those 4 components together at any one time?

Certainly not in my 30 years as a fan. (Unless of course you class Joe as a franchise QB. Which I never have,). 

Hail. 

We need to lock Silverback up long term ASAP. He has blossomed into one of if not the best LTs in the game. On top of that, I love his nasty attitude. As much as I liked Chris Samuels, he was always a bit of a choir boy. Williams on the other hand is surly and dick-ish and doesn't put up with crap(see him punching Sherman last year), I want that in my linemen.

And how easy is it to get an impact potential starting interior OL towards the end of the 2nd round with our 1st pick of the draft?

Not easy at all. As an example the Steelers are starting a first round guard and two second round tackles and their O'Line is terrible both in pass protection and run blocking.

I'd be willing to bet that Jolly isn't being told he was owned in the Packers film room.  Initially, he gets blocked by two guys (at least for a time he occupied two blockers, which is more than any other Packer defender on the play can say), he's only a few yards off the LOS when Morris makes his cut, and his primary blocker never gets to release and make another block. 

From the Packers perspective, I'd bet they are saying that Jolly did a pretty good (not great) job, and the guys that are single teamed have to get off a block (90 and whoever Young is blocking) and 50 and 59 both fill the same whole and both end up on the ground (50 gets bocked by Lich after he comes off of Jolly, but I suspect one filled the wrong hole, and I suspect that a defensive coach would tell a LB that you can't actually be put on the ground by an OL who is coming off of a block of a DL.  Its one thing to get blocked some.  It is another thing to end up on the ground. As is, you end up with two LBs running into the same area (which probably shouldn't happen), the first one getting put on the ground by an OL who is coming off of a blocking somebody else and ending up on the ground, and the second one tripping over him, and a guy that I'm assuming is an OLB being dominated one-on-one by a FB (I suspect he had outside contain so I'd guess he did an okay job because he mantain outside contain, but I also suspect after establishing the edge the defensive coach would say that you have to be able to come off of the single man block and make a tackle.).)

I suspect that in their scheme Jolly could do a better job, but the LBs are being told they have to do better.

I suspect in the Redskins' film room, Lich is being given a lot of credit for that play.  He intially helps with Jolly and establish his momentum going backwards, and then is able to come off him and get 50 on the ground, which essentially means he also blocked 59.  In one play, he helped neutralize 3 Packer defenders.

From the Packers perspective, I'd bet they are saying that Jolly did a pretty good (not great) job,

I'd take your bet  :) . Jolly is supposed to eat that double team and anchor. Lich comes off the double team and picks off the inside 'backer after he and Trent push Jolly back 2 or 3 yards. Trent then takes Jolly for a ride taking him back 10 yards. You could live with him maybe giving up the initial 2 yards but if your play side DE ends up on his backside 10 yards downfield I doubt they are giving him any pats on the back during the film study.

and the guys that are single teamed have to get off a block (90 and whoever Young is blocking) and 50 and 59 both fill the same whole and both end up on the ground (50 gets bocked by Lich after he comes off of Jolly, but I suspect one filled the wrong hole, and I suspect that a defensive coach would tell a LB that you can't actually be put on the ground by an OL who is coming off of a block of a DL.  

No question their 'backers have to do better getting off blocks to minimize the gain and I agree with you they will be getting a hard time in the film room on that play. But when the DE is knocked so far off the line it opens so much room for the back it makes it tough on the 'backers.

I suspect in the Redskins' film room, Lich is being given a lot of credit for that play.  He initially helps with Jolly and establish his momentum going backwards, and then is able to come off him and get 50 on the ground, which essentially means he also blocked 59.  In one play, he helped neutralize 3 Packer defenders.

Totally agree. Lich did an excellent job on that play, not as eye catching as what Trent did but vital to the play walling off the inside pursuit.

I liked the catch and run by Garçon when Lichtensteiger and Trent were downfield printing as lead blockers. I think it was on a bubble screen.

Yep, loved that too which by the way was completely the opposite of when we ran a screen to the right side against Philly and Morris had 3 blockers in front of him for 2 Eagles and one of them split the blockers untouched and tackled Morris. Dang. 

Trent is a beast though...

I'd take your bet  :) . Jolly is supposed to eat that double team and anchor. Lich comes off the double team and picks off the inside 'backer after he and Trent push Jolly back 2 or 3 yards. Trent then takes Jolly for a ride taking him back 10 yards. You could live with him maybe giving up the initial 2 yards but if your play side DE ends up on his backside 10 yards downfield I doubt they are giving him any pats on the back during the film study.

No question their 'backers have to do better getting off blocks to minimize the gain and I agree with you they will be getting a hard time in the film room on that play. But when the DE is knocked so far off the line it opens so much room for the back it makes it tough on the 'backers.

Totally agree. Lich did an excellent job on that play, not as eye catching as what Trent did but vital to the play walling off the inside pursuit.

I don't think there are many DE's in the NFL that regularly eat the front side T/G double team.  This isn't T/TE, T/RB, G/C double team, or a case where somebody pulled a C or G and then he helps the T (the DE initially has one man and the guy that is helping had to first run from somewhere else).

I doubt there are many DE's in the league where right off the ball you get the T/G combination blocking the DE and that guy is really expected to mantain POA.  For a DT or NT, where it is a G/C combination that's expected, but the C is normally the smallest and least atheltic guy on the OL, and the DT/NT the biggest and strongest.  That would be similar to a T/TE or T/RB combo on the DE.

I'm not saying it never happens, but I expect other than the great DEs, it is very rare.

And all that really matters is the 2 or 3 yards.  At that time, Lich is able to come off, get 50 on the ground, and it is one-on-one between the FB and OLB, and WR and CB on that side and neither of them beat their man and Morris has his hole, and there is minimal pursuit because two Packer LBs are on the ground.

In terms of Jolly, everything after Lich makes that block is pretty meaningless other than the fact that he doesn't beat Trent one-on-one (which would be hard to do once is momentum is established backwards), and he doesn't allow Trent to get off him and get another block (From the Packers perspective, it would be worse if Jolly ended up on the ground or really got blown up and allowed Trent to get another down field block.)

I'm not saying that Jolly made a great play or even very good play there, but I suspect when the Packers looked at that play on film, the least of their worries was Jolly compared to the other guys that get blocked one-on-one and the missed tackle.

**EDIT**

I suspect if Jolly made a mistake here, it isn't that he gets pushed back so much.  I suspect, if he messed up, he isn't even suppossed to try and take on the double team.  He's suppossed to ignore Lich and get outside and form a wall with the guy that has outside contain.  He's suppossed to leave Lich to 50 (who is suppossed to also get outside and form a wall with Jolly) and that would leave a lane for 59 to come in and make the tackle.

That if the Packers are are looking at Jolly and saying you messed up, it is because he got caught peeking inside on a play that he is suppossed to get wider on.

And if Trent made a good play, it is that he pushed Jolly inside to Lich and didn't allow him to get outside.  Not so much that he drove him down the field.

Though that's not really how the play looks to me, but that might be because Jolly did mess up and/or Trent did make a really good play (Trent/Lich seem most interested in drivingly Jolly back and not to the inside and Jolly seems most interested in not getting driven back and not so much to get too the outside.)

Archived