Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chip Kelly. Any Questions? (merged--put your "Chip Kelly" thoughts in here)

Westbrook36

Good or bad I doubt he'll be fired after one subpar year. People here keep comparing him to Spurrier for whatever reason which is pretty funny. He pretty much sucked his entire tenure. Not saying Kelly will be good/great at all, but it is amusing. I will say giving him full control was a huge mistake though. The HC should be just that, a HC, and let others worry about the other moving parts of the team.

You're right about the hc/gm part.

You say "one subpar year". It's not that simple, though. He's an offensive guru, yet his offense has been trending down since year one, when he was winning with Andy reids players.

Meanwhile, the D and ST have been improving.

That's a bad combination of factors if you're chip kelly.

It's obvious to everyone outside of philly, at this point, that what chip is doing isn't working.

Good or bad I doubt he'll be fired after one subpar year.  People here keep comparing him to Spurrier for whatever reason which is pretty funny.  He pretty much sucked his entire tenure.  Not saying Kelly will be good/great at all, but it is amusing.  I will say giving him full control was a huge mistake though.  The HC should be just that, a HC, and let others worry about the other moving parts of the team.

I think you are also confusing the actual reasons for him leaving after 1 bad year, in theory.

No one is confusing Spurrier for Kelly in terms of time spent preparing, but these top tier college coaches pretty much have a permanent safety net to always go back if they feel like it.  It clearly makes decision making easier for them than say an NFL lifer who would never consider going to college if they didn't make it as a HC in the NFL.  Normally they end up as O/D coords or at worst top tier position coaches. Kelly can go back to being a savior of any college of his choice "if he felt like it."   Makes failing in the NFL much less of a big deal, and might take the edge off of coaching in the NFL in general.  Kelly's not going to stay in the NFL if he ends up with 2 losing seasons in a row. 

Nick Saban, Bobby Petrino, Jim Harbaugh - all guys that were perfectly content going back to college in recent times after slight hardship.

So yes, I don't think he would get fired after 1 poor year, but maybe a small chance of quitting depending on how poorly it went (in theory), and I think he would most likely quit on his own after 2 poor years.  I'd say a premier college opening occurring raises the chances too in a given, theoretical, poor year.  Kelly essentially did the same thing to go to the Eagles, waited for an "opening he preferred." 

You're right about the hc/gm part.

You say "one subpar year". It's not that simple, though. He's an offensive guru, yet his offense has been trending down since year one, when he was winning with Andy reids players.

Meanwhile, the D and ST have been improving.

That's a bad combination of factors if you're chip kelly.

It's obvious to everyone outside of philly, at this point, that what chip is doing isn't working.

Pretty much agree with all points.  In his first year when they were 3-5 people were saying the same thing.  They ended up 10-6.  Will the offense start to click at some point this year?  Who knows, but I'll wait and see.  A lot of people are standing on the ledge ready to jump already after three weeks.  The old drunk lady down the street from me that rolls down the street in her hoverround after games spewing obscene thing about Kelly is a fing funny sight to see though lol.

I don't think Kelly is fired after this season under any circumstance.

I think that if the offense struggled and they finish last in the division, he'll quit and take the ridiculous bounty that Texas will offer him.

EDIT: FWIW, I think this is the most important game for Gruden so far also.  1-3 with trips to the Falcons and Jets upcoming, they better win.  Otherwsise they are staring 1-5 right in the face, and that's not going to be a really good situation. 

If not for a FG in one game, he's been shut out in a half of every game this year.

Keep thinking you don't need players, chip.

I take it back. We're getting beat by bradford, Cooper and Austin.

Obviously, chips system is working today, cuz those guys suck.

The Redskins have effectively ended the Eagles season 2 years in a row.

Kelly has lost 6 of his last 8 games.

He has lost 4 out of his last 5 division games, including 2 in a row to the perennial basement dwelling redskins.

My question is, how many weeks until he quits?

Chip Kelly will coach the Longhorns next year.

Dude, you stole that from me.  I've been saying that since week 1.  :P

Good fing game though.  Can't blame Bradford on this one.  They just start out every game too slow.  The sad thing is the NFCE is still wide open lol.

Everybody thinks it's wide open.

It's not.

The Giants are going to win the NFC East.  And by a comfortable margin.  Why?  Because whenever they start 0-2, and then get healthy against the 'Skins, that's exactly what happens.  

And they should probably be 4-0 now, at least 3-1.  

I am living near Wilmington DE now so all week long I have to listen to Eagle sports radio.  After preseason was over, Eagle fans and the sports talk radio geniuses here kept saying that Chip was a genius and Eagles had a good shot this year at the Super Bowl.  Well I cannot wait to hear them all this week going baillistic-Eagles fans.  I have it on right now and they are already freaking out.

jay gruden has won 6 games in 1 and 1/4 years as a head coach. one third of his wins have come vs the eagles, and he is now 2-1 vs chip kelly.

i laughed as i typed that.

Everybody thinks it's wide open.

It's not.

The Giants are going to win the NFC East.  And by a comfortable margin.  Why?  Because whenever they start 0-2, and then get healthy against the 'Skins, that's exactly what happens.  

And they should probably be 4-0 now, at least 3-1.  

i agree with this. the giants are, to me, clearly the best in the division. i dont see them not winning it. 

Murray has 40 touches on the season. He averaged 28 a game last year in Dallas. I really don't understand why Chip paid him so much to use him so little and in ways that don't fit his style of running.

I said and still think Chip is a terrific offensive mind and coach. As a GM, he is lousy. You can make all those offseason moves...but that means it's all on you buddy.

So far, the results arent looking good.

Archived