Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sportsillustrated.com: Ranking The N-F-L’S Best Backfields

That's a tough ranking to put together. I think we're too low at 19, but how high should we really be? When you look at guys like Rice, Peterson, Lynch, Foster, Gore, Jackson, McCoy, etc. They are about even IMO with Morris if not a smidge better. I'd say at worst, we should've been around 12, possibly top 10. I also think the Browns were ranked too low too. The Saints were rated too high.

Well, if AlMo was so great, how come he wasn't drafted till the 6th round?  Huh, smarty pants? 

I know that Mike Shannahan liked him, and he had the second best rushing yardage in the NFL, (and set the team record, on a team which has had both Clinton Portis and John Riggens), but what about Mel Kiper, huh? 

The fact that Tampa Bay is #6 while we're #19 just cracks me up.

This was their reasoning for Tier 1: 'Combine a bona fide No. 1 back with a solid No. 2 and a steady full back.'

I'm sorry, but how exactly is Doug Martin any more of a bona fide #1 than Alfred?

Even more hilarious, how exactly is Brian Leonard (he of 3 teams in 7 years and ZERO career rushing TDs) a more solid #2 than Helu?

I was going to point out the same thing. The media is all over Doug Martin's jock. I understand he had one monster games, but come on. I could accept that Martin is better than Morris, but that our backfield is 12 spots below theirs when we have a better #2 AND a better FB?

But even still the love for Martin is ridiculous. Martin was pretty bad over their last 6 games (you know, when they were going into it at 6-4 with a shot at the playoffs). Over their last 6 games Morris averaged 50 more yards rushing than Martin. He also had 4.9 ypc over that span to Martin's 3.7. Literally the only advantage Martin has is pass catching, and that somehow lifts his entire backfield 12 spots higher than ours.

That's a tough ranking to put together. I think we're too low at 19, but how high should we really be? When you look at guys like Rice, Peterson, Lynch, Foster, Gore, Jackson, McCoy, etc. They are about even IMO with Morris if not a smidge better. I'd say at worst, we should've been around 12, possibly top 10. I also think the Browns were ranked too low too. The Saints were rated too high.

I, for one, don't understand San Fran as that high. Gore isn't what he used to be and the rest of that backfield is below average. Atlanta is the same way. Jackson used to be one of the game's greatest, but what is he really now? And Jacquizz over Roy, come on man.

That list is all over the place though. Jacksonville has a better backfield than 20th if MJD is healthy (forsett and Robinson are absolutely more intriguing secondary options than Leonard and Lorig). And who honestly would take the New England backfield over the Eagles? Brown, if he could hold on to the football, is better than New England's first option, and that's ignoring McCoy.

Also, texans should be #1. Ben Tate is an absolute monster at #2.

The general opinion on Morris is that he is a system back.  The fact that he lacks the breakaway "take it the house" speed means he will lack those highlights that get national media attention.

Morris will get 10-15 yard gains over and over and over, which is perfectly fine for winning football games and building stats, but it doesn't get people to notice. 

I have nothing negative to say about Morris, he is everything he was advertised as and is a very solid back, knows this system great and will continue to thrive in it, but compare him to Portis in his prime in this same system and you understand that as solid as Morris is, he does lack the 1 attribute that would make the running game even more lethal.   As dominant as it is now, imagine if Morris had the acceleration/breakaway speed that would make those 10 yard scampers into 50 yard TD runs?

It's not his fault, nothing he can do about it, he just doesn't have those athletic gifts. 

This is why Shanahan has traditionally never been tied down to a single running back once he has the O-line chugging along in his system because he has usually been able to plug average RBs in the system and have them produce.  Not saying Morris is a Mike Anderson or Tatum Bell or but at the same time if you want to be completely impartial when examining Morris's game, he doesn't and never will have the same dynamic gifts that Terrell Davis and Clinton Portis had.

Tweet to Chris Burke:

@ChrisBurke_SI Redskins finished 2012 #1 in rushing are now ranked #19 in best backfields? Ha ha ha ha ha...nice try...justify!

REPLY from Chris:

Chris Burke ‏@ChrisBurke_SI

@Dub70s @DC9AdamW Had 10-12 RB1s I'd take over Morris, more RB 2s over Helu. Perfect backs for a great system, bu that's why.

My ReReply:

@ChrisBurke_SI @DC9AdamW Well at least you are honest enough to say that the piece you wrote yesterday was based on your preference pics.

So I guess you could argue that Tom Brady should be ranked 19th because he's the perfect QB for a great system?  This is like hearing "what about infinity times infinity?"  ::headasplode::

The Butler cares not for silly rankings.

He knows "system backs" don't rush for 200 yards and 3 TDs against a rival with the Division on the line.

He knows that "system backs" don't set franchise records.

He knows that "system backs" don't lead the league in broken tackles.

He knows that "system backs" don't lead the league in yards after contact.

What the Butler does know is that peeps that take him lightly are going to get run the **** over.

The general opinion on Morris is that he is a system back.  The fact that he lacks the breakaway "take it the house" speed means he will lack those highlights that get national media attention.

Morris will get 10-15 yard gains over and over and over, which is perfectly fine for winning football games and building stats, but it doesn't get people to notice.

"Morris rushed for 1,613 yards last season, the third most by a rookie in NFL history. He had 55 rushes of 10 or more yards last season, the second most by any player in a single season over the past 10 years, trailing only Adrian Peterson from last season."

If any writer, anywhere, downplays that type of production, their opinions on football are immediately rendered garbage.

Tweet to Chris Burke:

@ChrisBurke_SI Redskins finished 2012 #1 in rushing are now ranked #19 in best backfields? Ha ha ha ha ha...nice try...justify!

REPLY from Chris:

Chris Burke ‏@ChrisBurke_SI

@Dub70s @DC9AdamW Had 10-12 RB1s I'd take over Morris, more RB 2s over Helu. Perfect backs for a great system, bu that's why.

My ReReply:

@ChrisBurke_SI @DC9AdamW Well at least you are honest enough to say that the piece you wrote yesterday was based on your preference pics.

Oh, so our backs rank so low because they're perfect at what they do. And them being more productive than everyone else is considered irrelevant.

Thank goodness that was explained to us. For a minute there, I was worried that these rankings made no sense.

"Morris rushed for 1,613 yards last season, the third most by a rookie in NFL history. He had 55 rushes of 10 or more yards last season, the second most by any player in a single season over the past 10 years, trailing only Adrian Peterson from last season."

If any writer, anywhere, downplays that type of production, their opinions on football are immediately rendered garbage.

Especially the second part. I'm sure the system broke those tackles for him though.

And who is to argue that Peyton Manning or Tom Brady aren't system qb's? Certainly they've only played in one system their entire career. I find the whole idea of "system" players to be laughable. Who is to say these 10-12 rb's he has higher than him can run in a ZBS? And too, if a system outputs such fantastic results with mediocre runners, why wouldn't every team just copy this system? Are other offenses less system-y? And yet this same guy rates Foster and the Texans as the second best backfield, because somehow running OUR SAME SYSTEM makes foster less of a system player. Ok, off my soapbox, this guy is an idiot.

This is baffling. What's the qualifications? What are the standards? Looking at SF and the Hawks. Who has more than one starting caliber QB?Is it based off of last year's stats or predictions for this season? I've never heard of the backup in Seattle. Ok, i could go on forever trying to figure this one out.

The government must be putting alot of Haterade in the water systems.

I would just love to see  Morris in postgame presser, when a numbnut from SI stands to ask a question, then Morris cuts him off by saying "oh, you're with SI, the same bafoons who ranked us 20th, why are you even here?"

Itys more like a popularity contest than anything; I mean, c'mon, NE's running game? Do they actually have one? And why Dallas isn't in the top 2 is beyond me, seriously; afterall, they're the best ever, right?

I wish the entire organization would note these so-called experts, analysts, and crackpot reporters, and when they come to pressers, just refuse to answer anything from them. Just point out how they ranked the Skins and ask them why they are not in the Dallas locker room giving Jerry the circle jerk he desires so badly...

I have nothing negative to say about Morris, he is everything he was advertised as and is a very solid back, knows this system great and will continue to thrive in it, but compare him to Portis in his prime in this same system and you understand that as solid as Morris is, he does lack the 1 attribute that would make the running game even more lethal.   As dominant as it is now, imagine if Morris had the acceleration/breakaway speed that would make those 10 yard scampers into 50 yard TD runs?

I think you do him a dis-service. He had a few lonhg TD runs last year and I don't recall him being caught from behind too much. He had a 39 yard TD against the Bucs, a 32 yard TD against Dallas, and plenty of other 25+yard runs. 

The Butler cares not for silly rankings.

He knows "system backs" don't rush for 200 yards and 3 TDs against a rival with the Division on the line.

He knows that "system backs" don't set franchise records.

He knows that "system backs" don't lead the league in broken tackles.

He knows that "system backs" don't lead the league in yards after contact.

What the Butler does know is that peeps that take him lightly are going to get run the **** over.

He did all this playing within himself on a team missing it's two best pass catchers for lots of games.  This year he's back quicker (he's been spotted beating guys for speed horizontally in limited outings this PS so maybe a little faster too).  He's adding the 'make them miss' element to his game which will not only make for some good highlights in that regard but stop people being able to commit so much to stopping him power wise so should pay off after contact too.

Mike can with him, Joe would have been able to win with him and he is a star back in the NFL.  There's not many RBs I'd rather face Morris for a whole game instead of them.

ALL of the sports media, ESPECIALLY BSPN, can go directly to hell! I have absolutely ZERO use for them, and give them as much of my time!  These are the same low-forehead retards that pick the Crackgirlz to win the Sooper Dooper Poop Bowl every year!

Here is another jewel from SI

Bonnie Bernstein ‏@BonnieBernstein 3h

It only takes 1 powerful voice/entity to start a movement toward change. Peter King's MMQB site banning use of "Redskins?"

"Movement" toward "change"....I'm laughing my ass off at these pretentious losers that think changing the Redskins name is going to actually make the world a better place. Does anybody actually think Peter King is talented? He's just a lucky tool.

Archived