Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Before the injury Veldheer would have received upper tier left tackle money, and still could depending on where he's at in terms of health in the spring.

A couple things go into Veldheer:

First, he's a 1st Class great guy - humble to the core. If you've ever seen an interview of his, I'm sure you have, he's probably the most genuine, team centered guy I've heard speak in a long time. Everything about him is straight shooter.

So there's no inkling, at all, in my mind that he would be greedy or have dollars signs on the mind. That's just per him, the person, not the facade a player shows by way of an agent.

Second, you know he's looking forward to getting out of the clown shown in Oakland. Not that Mackenzie is anywhere near the incompetency that was there before him, but just for the sake of getting a fresh start, a new look.

So my guess, even in a worse case scenario where he doesn't get the exact dollars he's looking for, he'll take what's there, just in order to move on from Oakland.

Everyone knows, as you alluded to, that Veldheer outperformed his 3rd round draft status and subsequently is well regraded as a LT in this league. He is, however, still kind-of under the radar. His case is not one of hype. That's good when it comes to perception and final monies.

Also, everyone knows he's healing from a triceps and that obviously affects what JV can ask for. He's likely going to play at some point this season ... so whatever he shows next on film will be the lasting image during contract talks.

I'm of the opinion that the contract will be good for both parties. And based on who he is as a person, I don't think that excludes him from considering a team where they already have an established LT.

Like I said before, if the staff stays true to their mantra of open competition and Veldheer stays his humble, dedicated self, things could be a good marriage. You never put constraints on the contract before it's signed. All the Skins brass has to say is: "We love 'ya, love your play and style. We want you and you'll get a shot to be a starter."

The implied, unsaid statement would be for either LT or RT, but not specifically said beforehand as one or the other. Heck, the team could say outright: "you'll get a shot at LT but if we feel better with our current guy, you'll need to play RT."

That leaves the ball in the court of the player (Veldheer) to decide whether he has the cojones to beat out a pro-bowl level LT. Some guys would love that challenge.

All said, I would pay the man the money he wants, even if it's a large sum, because I'm that impressed with his game and who he is as a person. And I know it would be a big singing and impact for the team. I think you have to shoot for the moon and land talents like him.

But sticking to the cliche of: "oh he's gonna want to play LT only and would never consider us ..."

I never like to entertain those thoughts. Even if you happen to be right and he does seek top tier LT money, what's the issue with having two pro-bowl level bookend tackles? - I don't know why that's a undesirable thing.

I just think about how to improve the team with the very best talent one can get.

A couple things go into Veldheer:

First, he's a 1st Class great guy - humble to the core. If you've ever seen an interview of his, I'm sure you have, he's probably the most genuine, team centered guy I've heard speak in a long time. Everything about him is straight shooter.

So there's no inkling, at all, in my mind that he would be greedy or have dollars signs on the mind. That's just per him, the person, not the facade a player shows by way of an agent.

Second, you know he's looking forward to getting out of the clown shown in Oakland. Not that Mackenzie is anywhere near the incompetency that was there before him, but just for the sake of getting a fresh start, a new look.

So my guess, even in a worse case scenario where he doesn't get the exact dollars he's looking for, he'll take what's there, just in order to move on from Oakland.

Everyone knows, as you alluded to, that Veldheer outperformed his 3rd round draft status and subsequently is well regraded as a LT in this league. He is, however, still kind-of under the radar. His case is not one of hype. That's good when it comes to perception and final monies.

Also, everyone knows he's healing from a triceps and that obviously affects what JV can ask for. He's likely going to play at some point this season ... so whatever he shows next on film will be the lasting image during contract talks.

I'm of the opinion that the contract will be good for both parties. And based on who he is as a person, I don't think that excludes him from considering a team where they already have an established LT.

Like I said before, if the staff stays true to their mantra of open competition and Veldheer stays his humble, dedicated self, things could be a good marriage. You never put constraints on the contract before it's signed. All the Skins brass has to say is: "We love 'ya, love your play and style. We want you and you'll get a shot to be a starter."

The implied, unsaid statement would be for either LT or RT, but not specifically said beforehand as one or the other. Heck, the team could say outright: "you'll get a shot at LT but if we feel better with our current guy, you'll need to play RT."

That leaves the ball in the court of the player (Veldheer) to decide whether he has the cojones to beat out a pro-bowl level LT. Some guys would love that challenge.

All said, I would pay the man the money he wants, even if it's a large sum, because I'm that impressed with his game and who he is as a person. And I know it would be a big singing and impact for the team. I think you have to shoot for the moon and land talents like him.

But sticking to the cliche of: "oh he's gonna want to play LT only and would never consider us ..."

I never like to entertain those thoughts. Even if you happen to be right and he does seek top tier LT money, what's the issue with having two pro-bowl level bookend tackles? - I don't know why that's a undesirable thing.

I just think about how to improve the team with the very best talent one can get.

He's a great player I'd love to have him here, I was just saying that it's unrealistic to expect us to sign Talib, Nicks and Veldheer. As for Vheldeer himself he won't play left tackle here, but he'd offer an upgrade at left tackle to too many teams to not get a better offer than playing right tackle here. He doesn't have to be greedy or money driven to make that decision it's just a good decision for him.

For me:

1st round                                                                                                                         

(JR) Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (Alabama)

2nd

(JR) Ed Reynolds (Stanford)

(JR) Dion Bailey (USC)  

3rd

(SR) Craig Loston (LSU)

(SR) C.J. Barnett (Ohio State)

(SR) Tre Boston (North Carolina)

Gracias, gonna start looking at the SAF class soon

Sorry if you've all already discussed these two and I'm late to the party and adding nothing. I have to say something though. I rarely spend my Saturdays college football. I did today though and two guys made me go WOW.

The first is Ra'shede Hageman, DT from Minnesota. What a monster. Nebraska eventually started triple and quadruple (not joking) teaming him and shut him down (and he eventually got hurt), but before that, just wow. That said, I thought Glenn Dorsey was a lock future-HOFer coming out of LSU so my DT evaluation might suck.

Second wow of the day is a WOW x's 100. So ****ing impressed: Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson. The definition of a man amongst boys. If he isn't the first WR off the board in April, I'd love to see who is. I can't say enough how impressed I was with him. I'd be absolutely shocked if he isn't a pro bowler down the road. And with WRs, with many, maybe most, it takes a couple of seasons to get their **** together as pros. I'd be also be shocked if Watkins isn't a stud from Day 1.

With Nick's lack of performance this year and last year his price maybe lower. However the question is if we sign him who will we get the good Nicks or the bad Nicks, but I think he would be cheaper.

In terms of CB, I think Hall is a must resign.

If we can snag both Aqib Talib and resign Hall that would be great.

I think Nicks is a complete bum. I'd be devastated if we dropped any money on him

And unfortunately, barring something unforeseen, I don't see anyway Talib leaves New England

Everyone keeps forgetting about De'anthony Thomas!! Can't pass on him if he is there in the 2nd round which he should be. I'd personally prefer that we fix the secondary with a few vets in FA instead of some new rookies. We can get some decent Oline help a little later in the draft maybe round 3 or 4. Rg3 needs another weapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVFAPrHwPPQ

I would love to have him but I don't think he will make it close to our pick in the 2nd round. He would be unstoppable in our offense as a weapon and give our offense something we desperately need: SPEED.

KR/PR problems solved instantly. He can take time as slot WR or line up in the backfield. Lots of options to get him the ball in space. Guys with that speed don't come around often. If Chris Thompson gets healthy and back to form (I think he is still not there yet much like RG3 was early season) having both of them on the field with Garçon, Griffin and Reed would be a nightmare.

That would be nasty. I would absolutely spend our 2nd on him if he was still on the board and I'd dance on the stage after the pick was made.

Looking at Dion Bailey's tape I think he needs to be a top priority in the draft. He fits and excels in the Haz system. We are at our best with single safety deep. I don't want Bailey there though. I want him where Reed Doughty's at. He can be a excellent player in that role.

We wanted thomas in that role and I don't want him replaced without a real shot. That's why I wouldn't go for a ss early next year.

Can we draft a offensive coordinator?

Still wouldn't address the root issue, which is a lack of talent.

This is what the offense will look like when our stud QB isn't playing well enough to make broken plays work, cover up a trash offensive line, make ordinary receivers productive, and make a pretty good running back look like a great one.

Still wouldn't address the root issue, which is a lack of talent.

This is what the offense will look like when our stud QB isn't playing well enough to make broken plays work, cover up a trash offensive line, make ordinary receivers productive, and make a pretty good running back look like a great one.

I guess we'll never agree about the level of talent on this team. I think the problem on offense right now isn't talent its coaching.

BTW Sunday's game was the fifth time in the seven games this year that the defense outplayed the offense.  That they kept the game close as long as could be reasonably expected of such a mediocre group and the offense (and special teams) played like absolute trash and lost us the game (Philly, Detroit, and Dallas).  Or forced the defense to win it for us (Oakland).  

The only game this year where the offense has stepped up and performed in spite of the D was against Chicago.  Against Green Bay they played like trash too, but so did the D.  The offense is terrible.

I guess we'll never agree about the level of talent on this team. I think the problem on offense right now isn't talent its coaching.

No we're not going to agree.  If you couldn't a trash offensive line get destroyed on Sunday and see a group of receivers who couldn't get open so that our QB got beaten half to death, then we're not going to agree.

He's a great player I'd love to have him here, I was just saying that it's unrealistic to expect us to sign Talib, Nicks and Veldheer. As for Vheldeer himself he won't play left tackle here, but he'd offer an upgrade at left tackle to too many teams to not get a better offer than playing right tackle here. He doesn't have to be greedy or money driven to make that decision it's just a good decision for him.

A couple things I thought of after reading your response. First, I believe the fact is that shanahan probably doesn't think the RT spot needs improvement.

I touched on Polumbus in another thread: Here. On why he's OK, better than perception.

In all likelihood they won't go after Veldheer in the first place.

Now the narrative will be that Veldheer was available and would not consider a team that likely could only offer a RT spot as opposed to a surefire LT spot. I don't subscribe to that, I'll detail below.

Likely what we'll see is shanahan and Co. pass on him. The talking points being that Veldheer didn't likely want to play RT, as you wrote, "better offer."

But what if the offers were the same, what then?

What if the money was the same to play RT for the Redskins as it were to play LT for the ... IDK ... the Cardinals?

You see there is a stigma and I honestly believe it's a fan based perception. Again the narrative will be that Veldheer didn't consider us, when in fact it was basically shanahan not thinking there was any need to spend money on Veldheer, vis-a-vis, improve RT.

I believe the whole "talking point" of LT vs RT, the perception or belief that RT is less important or not as significant is a construct of the fans. With guys like Kerrigan rushing overtop the RTs in this league, Clay Matthews rushing from both sides, same goes for many other preeminent pass rushers who switch around (Ware), the RT needs to be equally good as the LT.

I have always thought this way ever since I saw Joe Jacoby dominate from the RT spot and switch between LT & RT. And it was further reinforced when I watched Jon Jansen dominate from the RT spot with Chris Samuels on the left side. To me RT, or better said bookends, is just as important today as it was in the 80s and 90s.

Watching how teams like seattle basically put 4 or 5 highly specialized pass rushers on the field at one time, not bulky stop the run guys, but each one lean, fast, DE types to pass rush, you simply can't hide a bad o-lineman anymore.

And in fact many successful teams have done well without huge investment into the lauded LT spot. Just read an article about it, here.

Two other points I want to bring up: 1. Open competition & 2. Injury

Injury:

You probably know very well that anyone, everyone, is one play away from having their star player injured and thus replaced. Veldheer obviously is the guy you'd want playing LT in case something were to happen to Williams, not a rookie or a guy with less than 10 games to his name.

Competition:

Again, the supposed mantra of this regime, starting in 2010, open competition. I think Williams is an incredible athlete, his size - speed ratio is rare. He is however still human and fallible. He, despite fan perception and various articles or blogs found across the internet, has given up more sacks than Polumbus and has had his fair share of pressures this year. I've yet to validate the PFF report upon Williams. I did my own research into Polumbus and found his numbers surprisingly positive.

Basic point being that, as I said before, if you frame the acquisition of Veldheer as we'll pay you well and give you every opportunity to compete with everyone else on our roster and we'll put you in the best spot in all fairness once everything gets shook out, I don't see a problem.

Respect your opinion though, man.

A couple things I thought of after reading your response. First, I believe the fact is that shanahan probably doesn't think the RT spot needs improvement.

I touched on Polumbus in another thread: Here. On why he's OK, better than perception.

In all likelihood they won't go after Veldheer in the first place.

Now the narrative will be that Veldheer was available and would not consider a team that likely could only offer a RT spot as opposed to a surefire LT spot. I don't subscribe to that, I'll detail below.

Likely what we'll see is shanahan and Co. pass on him. The talking points being that Veldheer didn't likely want to play RT, as you wrote, "better offer."

But what if the offers were the same, what then?

What if the money was the same to play RT for the Redskins as it were to play LT for the ... IDK ... the Cardinals?

You see there is a stigma and I honestly believe it's a fan based perception. Again the narrative will be that Veldheer didn't consider us, when in fact it was basically shanahan not thinking there was any need to spend money on Veldheer, vis-a-vis, improve RT.

I believe the whole "talking point" of LT vs RT, the perception or belief that RT is less important or not as significant is a construct of the fans. With guys like Kerrigan rushing overtop the RTs in this league, Clay Matthews rushing from both sides, same goes for many other preeminent pass rushers who switch around (Ware), the RT needs to be equally good as the LT.

I have always thought this way ever since I saw Joe Jacoby dominate from the RT spot and switch between LT & RT. And it was further reinforced when I watched Jon Jansen dominate from the RT spot with Chris Samuels on the left side. To me RT, or better said bookends, is just as important today as it was in the 80s and 90s.

Watching how teams like seattle basically put 4 or 5 highly specialized pass rushers on the field at one time, not bulky stop the run guys, but each one lean, fast, DE types to pass rush, you simply can't hide a bad o-lineman anymore.

And in fact many successful teams have done well without huge investment into the lauded LT spot. Just read an article about it, here.

Two other points I want to bring up: 1. Open competition & 2. Injury

Injury:

You probably know very well that anyone, everyone, is one play away from having their star player injured and thus replaced. Veldheer obviously is the guy you'd want playing LT in case something were to happen to Williams, not a rookie or a guy with less than 10 games to his name.

Competition:

Again, the supposed mantra of this regime, starting in 2010, open competition. I think Williams is an incredible athlete, his size - speed ratio is rare. He is however still human and fallible. He, despite fan perception and various articles or blogs found across the internet, has given up more sacks than Polumbus and has had his fair share of pressures this year. I've yet to validate the PFF report upon Williams. I did my own research into Polumbus and found his numbers surprisingly positive.

Basic point being that, as I said before, if you frame the acquisition of Veldheer as we'll pay you well and give you every opportunity to compete with everyone else on our roster and we'll put you in the best spot in all fairness once everything gets shook out, I don't see a problem.

Respect your opinion though, man.

I hope you're right. IMO there are two circumstances under which a free agent should not be approached conservatively, and those are when a cornerback who can shut down his side of the field, and a dominant offensive lineman are available. I just don't remember too many cases, if any, in which a free agent under the age of 28 perceived as a top tier left tackle ended up playing any other position. As for Trent Williams, your assesment is correct in theory but realistically barring injury or any unforseen falling out with the team he will be lining up at left tackle here for a long time. The RT position has undergone some change in recent years but in my opinion which could be wrong, the line between LT/RT has been blurred more in the draft rather than free agency.

To keep with the O-Line theme. 2014 Free Agent, Center, Alex Mack.

ScreenShot2013-10-30at41540PM.png

It's no secret that I personally feel our interior o-line is suspect.

Here is a video pre-draft of Alex Mack:

Mack has some distinction to his NFL career so far, including the All Rookie team, 2009, as well as, a Pro Bowl as an alternate selection, 2011. 

It's no secret that I personally feel our interior o-line is suspect.

Dude, join the club.

Only the most blind of homers would argue with you.

And damn it I want to see Ribs get a shot this season. Didn't he do ok in limited fill-in action last year?

Well, he apparently was fat and out of shape when he showed up for camp this year.

Not exactly the kind of work ethic that we need to improve our interior OL play.

Another interior lineman, college kid, Brandon Thomas of Clemson.

Personal:  Graduated on May 10, 2013 with a degree in secondary education

2012:  

First-Team All-ACC selection (media)

First-team All-ACC by CBSSports.com

Second-Team All-ACC selection (coaches)

Second-team All-ACC by Phil Steele

2011:  Had 39 knockdowns in 777 snaps over 13 games (10 starts)

2010:  Had four knockdowns in 136 snaps over 10 games

2009:  Red-shirted ... ACC Academic Honor Roll member.

Here is what Chad Morris (OC, Clemson) said recently of Thomas:

http://www.tigernet.com/update/coach/Quick-notes-Chad-Morris-Monday-13290

Brandon Thomas is playing well. Extremely well.

* we got one guy playing well[brandon Thomas] and 10 other positions out there.

10/28/13

WEEK 9 ACC OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK: Brandon Thomas, Clemson, Gr.-R, OT, 6-3, 305, Spartanburg, S.C.

Thomas played 93 of Clemson’s 98 offensive snaps with a 90 percent grade and five knockdown block to lead the Tigers to a season high 236 yards rushing and 540 total yards in Saturday’s 40-27 ACC road win at Maryland.

It was the third straight game that Thomas emerged as Clemson’s top offensive lineman with a grade in the 90s. The left tackle provided the key block on both of running back Rod McDowell’s touchdown runs in the fourth quarter, when the Tigers scored 21 points to put the game away.

- ACC football

07/16/13

2013 LOMBARDI AWARD WATCH LIST: T Brandon Thomas, Clemson

Thomas has been a guard and a tackle over his three previous seasons at Clemson. The native of Spartanburg, SC and Dorman High is a veteran of 36 games, 23 as a starter, and has played over 1900 career plays. Last year he was named a first-team All-ACC offensive tackle by the ACC Media Association. He played a team high 987 snaps over 13 games, all starts. He was a big reason Clemson finished with an 11-2 record and a number-nine final national ranking by USA Today.

- Clemson football

07/16/13

2013 OUTLAND TROPHY WATCH LIST: Brandon Thomas, Clemson, OT

Thomas is one of 11 ACC players (offensive linemen or defensive linemen considered) on the list, one of four offensive tackles. The others are Cameron Ervin of Florida State, James Hurst of North Carolina and Morgan Moses of Virginia. Thomas has been a guard and a tackle over his three previous seasons at Clemson. The native of Spartanburg, SC and Dorman High is a veteran of 36 games, 23 as a starter, and has played over 1900 career plays.

Last year he was named a first-team All-ACC offensive tackle by the ACC Media Association. He played a team high 987 snaps over 13 games, all starts. He was a big reason Clemson finished with an 11-2 record and a number-nine final national ranking by USA Today. The Tigers established 101 team and individual records last year. That includes a record 41 points an 512 yards of total offense per game.

- Clemson football

It's considered right now that Thomas, with his frame/size, will be an interior guy, a guard, in the NFL, more than likely.

I'll get some review of him up in a while.

Archived