Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Top Prospect of Week 9: Stanford DE/OLB Trent Murphy -->http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/24162806/top-prospect-of-week-9-stanford-deolb-trent-murphy

img24162858.jpg

At 6-foot-6, 261 pounds, Stanford's Murphy is an imposing figure. As he demonstrated in dominating fashion against Oregon State in a primetime Pac-12 showdown October 26, NFLDraftScout.com's top-rated senior defensive end is also powerful, surprisingly athletic and instinctive.

Alternately lining up as a stand-up outside linebacker or as hand-in-the-dirt defensive end, Murphy recorded eight tackles in the 20-12 victory over the Beavers, including 3.5 for loss. Of those, 2.5 were sacks.

Murphy also knocked down a pass, blocked an extra point and hurried Oregon State quarterback Sean Mannion on two other occasions, helping to limit the Maxwell Award finalist to season lows in QB rating (117.1), passing yardage (271) and touchdowns (one) despite attempting more passes (57) than in any other game this year. For his efforts Murphy was named the Pac-12's Defensive Player of the Week.

It wasn't just his conference taking note of Murphy's performance, however. Talent evaluators on hand for the game couldn't help but draw comparisons to Houston Texans' star J.J. Watt for Murphy's ability to impact the game in so many ways.

Like the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year, Murphy is at his best attacking the quarterback. While not truly explosive off the snap, Murphy's long legs help him cover ground quickly and he shows surprising flexibility to dip and close around the corner for a man of his size.

This body control and length also allows Murphy to consistently defeat the cut blocks which render most players of his height ineffective. Murphy quickly reacts to cut blocks, showing the hand usage to knock would-be blockers to the ground, as well as the flexibility to sprawl and quickly recover.

Trent Murphy vs Washington (2013)

Rashad Green is an interesting mid round guy if he comes out. I'd take him as an Aldrick Robinson replacement/upgrade.

If we're looking at a guy who could be a slot guy early on and then move around, then I want Antwan Goodley from Baylor. He's not a huge guy, but goodness he's got breakaway speed in the open field 

To keep with the O-Line theme. 2014 Free Agent, Center, Alex Mack.

It's no secret that I personally feel our interior o-line is suspect.

I have always felt that Lichtensteiger was a much better C than G. While Montgomery looked good at C I understood leaving him be, but now I think a change is in order. I would like to see him moved, then you could cut Montgomery and Chester (you could probably trade Monty for a mid/late round pick) and use the savings to sign a stud RT who could move to LT in case of a Williams injury. There are good options in FA this year for than (Monroe, Veldheer, Oher, Albert).

Then make G a priority in the draft, maybe sign a cheap vet and let them battle with the guys we have on the roster now. But with T and C  so strong, even a couple of just solid Gs would make for a strong line.

If we're looking at a guy who could be a slot guy early on and then move around, then I want Antwan Goodley from Baylor. He's not a huge guy, but goodness he's got breakaway speed in the open field

I remember one of their first few games, he caught a quick slant which should have gone for a good 10-15 yard gain. The safety seemed to have a good angle on him. But my goodness did Goodley torch that angle and broke it 70 yds for 6. Was definitely a "wow" play. Really like him.

I remember one of their first few games, he caught a quick slant which should have gone for a good 10-15 yard gain. The safety seemed to have a good angle on him. But my goodness did Goodley torch that angle and broke it 70 yds for 6. Was definitely a "wow" play. Really like him.

I think that may have been the play at the 2:00 mark in this video

He's not a tall guy but he weighs about 220. The most unique prospect I've seen in a while in terms of his body type and what he can do.

20 Deone Bucannon

Washington State senior safety Deone Bucannon was named a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, given to the top defensive back in college football.

Bucannon enters the week leading the Pac-12 with 73 tackles and tied for second with four interceptions. He owns team-highs of three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

The Fairfield, Calif., native has two double-digit tackle games this season and is tied for fourth in WSU history with 343 career tackles and 13 interceptions.

The list narrows down to 15 players for the selection as the Jim Thorpe Award recipient in 2013

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/10/28/3716568/15-semifinalists-named-for-jim.html

the 15 semifinalists for this year's Jim Thorpe Award:

Alabama's Landon Collins

Oregon's Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

Florida State's Lamarcus Joyner

Ohio State's C.J. Barnett

Washington State's Deone Bucannon

Oklahoma's Aaron Colvin

Michigan State's Darqueze Dennard

Virginia Tech's Kyle Fuller

Florida's Vernon Hargreaves

Oregon State's Steven Nelson

Ole Miss' Cody Prewitt

Louisville's Calvin Pryor

TCU's Jason Verrett

Northern Illinois' Jimmie Ward

Kansas State's Ty Zimmerman

The three finalists will be named Nov. 25, with the winner announced Dec. 12 on ESPN. The award is presented by the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame and Jim Thorpe Association in Oklahoma City

Will Sutton update.

His season has started to heat up in recent weeks.

The Washington -> http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9851092

The Arizona State defense racked up seven sacks and 12 tackles for loss

Sutton accumulated a team-high three tackles for loss and like the rest of his linemates, added a sack in a remarkably efficient effort.

And Washington State games are worth watching.

Yet the overall perception of his 2013 campaign is still misguided.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2013/futures-arizona-state-dt-will-sutton

Unusual. Not typical. Uncommon. Extraordinary.

These are all meanings of "exceptional."

Good organizations, according to Anders, know how to balance a conventional process for hiring talent while taking more progressive attitudes about the initial search: 
  • Not restricting where they seek talent.
  • Suspending disbelief about a candidate in the early stages of evaluation.
  • Realizing that other industries cultivate desirable skills that can create a viable pool of talent.
Arizona State defensive tackle Will Sutton had an exceptional junior year. He earned All-America Honors over the likes of Star Lotulelei –- a player I considered one of the five best prospects in a deep 2013 NFL Draft class.

However, this year Sutton’s reputation is getting jobbed by some of the NFL Draft media. The defensive tackle’s story is turning into another example of where the system is focused on spotting flaws more than serious consideration of how to maximize available talent.

The 6-foot-1 defensive tackle took college football by storm as a 271-pound junior. However, the NFL’s Draft advisory committee gave Sutton a fifth-round grade at season’s end –- the same round Glover was drafted 14 years ago.

However, Glover was a lean, muscular, and undersized defensive tackle, who didn’t try to gain weight for the sake of pleasing a bunch of guys with a clipboard.

There will be some who believe that the advisory committee’s fifth-round grade of Sutton motivated the Sun Devils star to gain 34 pounds. These were some of the same people writing off Sutton as a limited prospect when he played at a weight similar to Glover and Randle. This is the same mindset that dwells on the rule rather than being open to the exception.

Their evaluations are rooted in a process that prevents them from spotting the exceptional.

It's this same mindset that will compel people to downgrade Sutton now that he’s gained the weight even after they complained he wasn't big enough as a junior.

What many people don’t realize is that 300 pounds is not new territory for Sutton. The defensive tackle tipped the scales over three large as a sophomore. At the time, his coach Todd Graham considered it "bad weight."

Sutton lost 30 pounds prior to his All-America season. While he was destroying offensive back fields at 271 pounds, Sutton physically looked like a smaller Warren Sapp with Glover and Randle-like technique and intensity.

A year later and a slow start in the box score, the word from some corners of the NFL Draft Media is that Sutton has become an ordinary football player. There’s even a scout saying that Sutton regained the wrong kind of weight.

Compared to Geno Atkins, a 6-foot-1, 300-pound strongman with great quickness, Sutton may never develop that complete trifecta of strength, quickness, and technique. However, I do think there is some serious mischaracterization of Sutton’s performances this year.

Some of the analysis I’ve read after studying Sutton’s game reveals a lack of understanding of the defensive tackle position. It doesn't connect how Sutton's senior-year performances are putting his teammates in position to make plays. These writers and scouts are too focused on the box score and not enough on the field.

If you judge Sutton on the basis of his skill to disrupt an offense as a penetrator and pass rusher, the NFL Draft advisory committee’s fifth-round grade is a conservative assessment. I think there are four reasons why Sutton earned this grade: 
  • Below average height.
  • Below average weight.
  • One year of productivity.
  • The mission of the advisory committee.

In some respects the NFL Draft advisory committee is designed to discourage a high percentage of juniors from leaving college early.

Senior Highlights: Remove the Box Score-Lined Glasses

The splash plays that Sutton generated last year were one-on-one displays of athleticism. He didn’t face consistent double teams. He wasn’t required to stand his ground against multiple defenders to free up his teammates so they could make plays.

Sutton and his coaches knew this was going to change in 2013. Opponents now knew Sutton was the guy to stop on the Sun Devils defense. Sutton knew he would have to get bigger and stronger.

When I look at Sutton’s physique this year compared to last, I wish I saw a more defined athlete. I don’t think it has hurt his game, but Sutton’s physique lends to the perception that he has lost the athleticism that made him a star as a junior.

What you’ll see from his senior film reveals that this notion is false. However, as we’ve seen with the mistakes evaluators make with dozens of players including the likes of Glover, Randle, Wilson, Romo sits to pee, and Cruz, talent is dismissed out of hand based on faulty assumptions. The reality is that perception has power.

The Wisconsin and Stanford games are great examples. If Sutton isn’t getting double-teamed by the guard and tackle or guard and center, then a running back is chipping him. When an offensive line assigns a double-team of a defensive tackle still playing a lot of one-gap assignments, the guard only has to account for one side –- he’s not worried about getting tricked. As a result, double-teams will often neutralize a defender’s ability to generate tackles and sacks with his speed and quickness.

Sutton is playing good football. The added weight hasn’t changed his initial quickness, he’s still demonstrating good leverage and a variety of effective techniques with his hands, and he’s making plays on the rare occasions he’s left one-on-one. Moreover, Sutton is sustaining his intensity for 60 minutes.

Unfortunately, some who are writing about Sutton are missing these points that don’t show up in the box score. This is a common mistake I also see with running back evaluations where it’s easy to place too much emphasis on the box score and far less focus on technique, decision-making, and athleticism.

Author's Note - Here is a comment from @ASUDevilscom to my Twitter account that is worth posting.

Good Sutton article. Agree with it mostly, but I cover ASU for a living and Sutton's weight was inaccurately listed last year. His June weight of 267 was listed during [the] season, but he weighed 280-ish to start the year and 290-295 by the bowl game.

That's definite.

ASU media relations should have updated it, but didn't and it created a false perception of a 30-plus-pound weight gain that isn't true.

I have to ask... he isnt related to Laron is he?

Nope.

PERSONAL:

Full name is Jarvis Charles Landry. Mother is Dietra Landry. Born Nov. 28, 1992, in Metairie, La.

Has one brother, Gerard, who played football at Southern University in Baton Rouge

Also related to former LSU standout Glenn Dorsey

Majoring in sports administration.

Henry Melton update:

Henry Melton, who tore the ACL in his left knee on Sept. 22 during a win at Pittsburgh.[successful surgery]. Orthopedic surgeon James Andrew performed surgery on Melton on Oct. 10, and the defensive tackle is spending time in Birmingham, Ala., rehabbing with the same man who put back together Adrian Peterson’s knee.

“It’s all been very positive in terms of how he came out from the surgery, and his work in terms of his rehab effort down in Birmingham,” Emery said. “They think the prognosis is 6 to 9 months in terms of recovery from this injury.”

A day after suffering the injury, Melton posted on Twitter that “I WILL be ready next season… but in the meantime I will grind harder than ever before and cheer on my Bears to the (champion)ship. Everything happens for a reason.”

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-10-05/sports/ct-spt-1006-bears-melton-chicago-20131006_1_henry-melton-general-manager-phil-emery-knee-surgery

Melton believes he can come back better

The Bears' Pro Bowl defensive tackle at the three-technique, the signature position defined by Warren Sapp in the Cover-2 scheme, was working his way upfield against Steelers right guard David DeCastro when in a split-second his future was put on hold. As he planted to work his way back toward quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, the anterior cruciate ligament was torn.

"It was a move I've done career a lot," Melton told the Tribune. "When I planted, he put his weight on me and that's when the knee gave out. At first, I was like, 'What happened?'

"I was lying on the ground and I told myself to get up and I was like, 'Whoa! This is kind of serious.' I knew it wasn't good but the way I did it, I just wouldn't believe it was that serious. I guess I knew it was bad when they called for the cart."

Melton gradually has come out of a dark corner you would expect an elite player in his prime suffering a serious injury to enter. He has been uplifted by support from family, teammates, strangers and near daily contact with coach Marc Trestman.

On Thursday, a day before his 27th birthday, famed orthopedic surgeon James Andrews will operate on him in Florida. He plans to be back on a football field in the spring. The question is where?

Archived