Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Definitely Joyner. He just makes plays all the time 

Yea man, have loved him since '11. Smart, non stop motor, always around the ball. A lot of playmakers take a lot of chances to make those plays, and get beat. But with him he seems to take those controlled chances. Really knows how to manage those risks.

Yea man, have loved him since '11. Smart, non stop motor, always around the ball. A lot of playmakers take a lot of chances to make those plays, and get beat. But with him he seems to take those controlled chances. Really knows how to manage those risks.

May not be the biggest guy too, but he isn't afraid to throw his weight around. Love watching guys like that who have the reckless abandon, but also can be cerebral 

May not be the biggest guy too, but he isn't afraid to throw his weight around. Love watching guys like that who have the reckless abandon, but also can be cerebral 

Yep. I wonder how much his height will hurt his draft stock. The greedy fan of a safety needing team wants him to fall as much as possible. But that guy deserves to get paid.

Rufus-

In the long run who knows what's gonna happen?

Speculating on Reeds future with a positive slant is as pointless as speculating on Reeds future with a negative slant.

Classic touch with the personal jab. Stay classy.

OK, first off I said it was a joke but I guess you were just looking to be offended. Whatever.

I mentioned a few reasons why the pick could work out well and be a well-thought out choice but you ignored all that. And you can put down the choice, but I'm not allowed to discuss the future prospects of that player? And this in a thread where you're going to basically predict the pro future of like 200 college kids?

You know what? That post I am calling dumb. Go ahead and be offended now, because that was a big slice of moron pie, dabbled with stupid sauce and topped with the maraschino cherry of idiocy.

At the time he was a need pick the interior offensive line was considered a weakness going in to the 2012 season. If only time can tell whether or not they're right why are you knocking the pick like you're sure every safety and tackle that went after read are going to a hand full of pro bowls?

The interior OL had 2 NFL level starters. (fact) The RT had one of the worst starting RT in the NFL.(fact) If they were picking for need they clearly would have picked a OT.

The last part if your post is fiction. I've clearly stated why I don't like the pick. If you want me to restate it just ask. But I haven't written one word projecting the quality of other draft positions. You know why? B/c I believe in assessments not projections. I believe projection is a myth because any players success or failure is tied to numerous factors external to their own physical skillset that are impossible to predict. However I believe we can strive to make accurate observations of physical skillset from watching games and rank those observations against other players and form a comparative assessment.

TLDR: I try to avoid making projections

-cheers

I believe there is a difference between team building and amassing talent. A player can be a good pick in a vacuum but not move the needle from a team building perspective.

For a team in our position I think a pick like Reed is a luxury.

Hopefully at some point he'll have a greater impact on the passing game and the team then our current TEs.

-cheers

The interior OL had 2 NFL level starters. (fact) The RT had one of the worst starting RT in the NFL.(fact) If they were picking for need they clearly would have picked a OT.

The last part if your post is fiction. I've clearly stated why I don't like the pick. If you want me to restate it just ask. But I haven't written one word projecting the quality of other draft positions. You know why? B/c I believe in assessments not projections. I believe projection is a myth because any players success or failure is tied to numerous factors external to their own physical skillset that are impossible to predict. However I believe we can strive to make accurate observations of physical skillset from watching games and rank those observations against other players and form a comparative assessment.

TLDR: I try to avoid making projections

-cheers

I sure do wish we woulsd have taken a tackle instead of Jordan Reed. I see you're all about not sugar coating the truth so ill do you the same courtesy. I won't learn anything I don't already know about evaluation or the draft from you. Quite the contrary actually.

So something to take away from how Haslett wants the secondary to play, is speed.  He has Josh Wilson moving all over the place, in sort a Charles Woodson role.  He likes Meriweather due to his speed.  He had EJ Biggers play safety for a full game because of his speed.  Rambo and Doughty are not fast, neither is Phillips.

Are there any safeties in this years class that run in the 4.4's or have a really good burst/acceleration?  I mean, with the type of defense Shanahan wants, and the way Haslett runs it...average speed yet solid isn't cutting it.  We do too much misdirection and fakes, players need more speed to get over to where their assignments are.

It seems like if we ran more of a vanilla two deep pre-snap look, Haslett would be going back to Rambo.  But since we're having safeties line up over the slot, line up as if their blitzing, or line up in the box and then sprint to their post-snap area across the field...we've gotta have more speed.  Otherwise better quarterbacks will just rack up easy yards.  Like Rodgers and Stafford did to us.

So something to take away from how Haslett wants the secondary to play, is speed.  He has Josh Wilson moving all over the place, in sort a Charles Woodson role.  He likes Meriweather due to his speed.  He had EJ Biggers play safety for a full game because of his speed.  Rambo and Doughty are not fast, neither is Phillips.

Are there any safeties in this years class that run in the 4.4's or have a really good burst/acceleration?  I mean, with the type of defense Shanahan wants, and the way Haslett runs it...average speed yet solid isn't cutting it.  We do too much misdirection and fakes, players need more speed to get over to where their assignments are.

It seems like if we ran more of a vanilla two deep pre-snap look, Haslett would be going back to Rambo.  But since we're having safeties line up over the slot, line up as if their blitzing, or line up in the box and then sprint to their post-snap area across the field...we've gotta have more speed.  Otherwise better quarterbacks will just rack up easy yards.  Like Rodgers and Stafford did to us.

You mean LaRon Landry/Carlos Rogers type players?

You mean LaRon Landry/Carlos Rogers type players?

I don't believe we or San Fran ever used Rogers in the versatile way that Haslett/Shanny wants their secondary to play.  But yes, LaRon Landry's athletic enough to fit the bill.

I'd guess our defense is always going to appear to have massive "holes" in it that teams will exploit, until we get more speed from every spot in the secondary.

I don't believe we or San Fran ever used Rogers in the versatile way that Haslett/Shanny wants their secondary to play.  But yes, LaRon Landry's athletic enough to fit the bill.

I'd guess our defense is always going to appear to have massive "holes" in it that teams will exploit, until we get more speed from every spot in the secondary.

We should be talking about players to groom behind them for a couple of years but that's a different discussion all together. Deone Bucannon out of Washington State doesn't get talked about that much but he brings that closing speed and physical presence they might be looking for. Somewhat reminiscent of Dashon Goldson IMO.

I believe there is a difference between team building and amassing talent. A player can be a good pick in a vacuum but not move the needle from a team building perspective.

For a team in our position I think a pick like Reed is a luxury.

Hopefully at some point he'll have a greater impact on the passing game and the team then our current TEs.

-cheers

At some point like yesterday. Ironic post given the game he just played.

I don't believe we or San Fran ever used Rogers in the versatile way that Haslett/Shanny wants their secondary to play. But yes, LaRon Landry's athletic enough to fit the bill.

Our corners are fast. Don't think you need 4.3 safeties to play our scheme. Rambo also isn't physically slow. He's playing slow because he's thinking too much. Hopefully the game comes to him, I liked him in college, but safeties are so difficult to assess.

At some point like yesterday. Ironic post given the game he just played.

Our corners are fast. Don't think you need 4.3 safeties to play our scheme. Rambo also isn't physically slow. He's playing slow because he's thinking too much. Hopefully the game comes to him, I liked him in college, but safeties are so difficult to assess.

Our corners are definitely faster than our safeties.  So much so, that Haslett seems to often be running a 1 safety (Meriweather) defense with somebody like Josh Wilson or EJ Biggers lining up as the other safety.  And then he's moving Biggers/Wilson around all over the place to create confusion.

I believe Phillip Thomas, Doughty, and Rambo all ran in the high 4.5's, with a 10 yard split like 1.55 or higher.  Could be mistaken.  But someone running in the 4.4's with a split closer to 1.5 would probably be fast enough.

I liked him in college, but safeties are so difficult to assess.

What I disliked most about Rambo was his lack of effort to get around blocks and poor tackling when the runner has an opportunity to square up on him.  I thought his coverage was mostly good.  If he could just tackle, then having him as a deeper safety seems like something I'd be fine with.  But Haslett wants safeties to be more versatile, so maybe not.

To me safeties should be judged more by their closing burst, their ability to generate said closing burst and acceleration with limited forward momentum and their ability to change direction and maintain speed. Rambo has a good closing burst but he needs a running start to generate it and he doesn't change direction very well. Great player for a good youtube highlight or two in college but I don't see him becoming much more than that. Hope I'm wrong though.

Rambo 4.59-4.66 unofficial pro-day:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1632077

http://www.redandblack.com/sports/winners-and-losers-from-georgia-s-pro-day/article_72766e78-9287-11e2-a891-0019bb30f31a.html

Rambo is somewhere in the 4.59-4.66 range but then again pro-bowl/all-pro SAFJarius Byrd is only 4.68 guy.
Speed doesn't matter if a guy can play, but speed matters when ranking players compartively in the pre-draft process.

Phillip Thomas 4.65 combine official

Could have sworn those guys ran in the 4.5 range, my mistake. That speed is fine as long as you have great instincts.

Rambo always seemed around the play in college, but like I said, a college safety is hard to judge and, imo, one of the most difficult positions to transfer. Angles and reaction times are so important because you're playing in so much space. Taylor was the most gifted I've ever seen with that. Rarely had to breakdown or redirect to tackle because his angles were so good. Also made him appear faster than he really was.

Man the whole ****ing defense looked confused vs Philthy. So ppl acting like Rambo was horrible well he was surrounded by teammates playing horrible. Same for the Green Bay game. So how and heck can we judge dude off 2 games is beyond me.

That too, maybe he gets back on the field with the Meriweather suspension.  Though, honestly, Broncos will not make him look good.

Archived