Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

But then why the rant? Is Morris-Helu really worse than Moreno-Hillman?

And 18 mil a year shouldn't be underestimated. For that much we could have signed Welker, Talib, Eric Winston, AND Byrd (through trade). How does our team look with that talent added to it? I'd say we're at least 3-1 if we had that and we'd be talking about what great depth we have.

Then it's right that the nfl has a lot of parity. Was our team really 2 first rounders and a 2nd rounder better than the Colts in 2011? Hell no, they had 3 future HoFers on their roster before that draft, and could have had another one had they wanted to stick with manning, as he's shown that he can still play. Combine that with the penalty and it's just unfair to expect our team to be as depthy as Denver or Indy.

In all honesty I can't fault our front office for basically missing 6 starting quality players through the 3 picks and 3 FA they could have signed. We feasibly could have had upgrades to almost 1/3rd of our starters. Heck, take away any teams' 6 WORST starters and I guarantee you they would have glaring flaws.

Cerrato on line 1 for you.

Cerrato on line 1 for you.

Not saying we should do it, but they are players at positions of need and their salaries conveniently added up to 18 mil with Welker and Talib playing at an all-pro level, Winston being a great RT, and Byrd with 2 all-pros under his belt.

They are also all making modest salaries compared to their ability.

I know we tend to think free agents are evil sorcery, but the only real sin there is overpaying for a used commodity. Afterall, half of our starters were free agents.

But the point wasn't that we should do it, more rather that the cap penalty is painful. Even 1 or 2 of those guys would probably have been a huge boon for us. If we had the money to spring for Brandon Marshall over Josh Morgan, or Aqib over resigning Hall, those little differences could definitely result in a win or two over the course of the season.

Denzel Perryman out of Miami, I think he'd be a good pick for us at MLB. Miami moved him to OLB this season but he's more than capable of playing his natural position. Good athlete, hits the holes hard to make tackles, pretty good in coverage as well. Not sure where he is projected to go thus far

Jonathan Dowling - WKU profile

2013 (r-Jr.)

Dowling through six games has 37 tackles, two interceptions, and three forced fumbles.

2012 (r-So.)

Dowling emerged as one of WKU's top playmakers

2011 (r-Fr.)

Dowling sat out the 2011 season after transferring from Florida.

Jonathan Dowling vs UK 2012

Class: RS Junior

Height / Weight: 6-3 / 198

Western_Kentucky_Alab_inev_t607.jpg

9cve.png

38wg.png

Jonathan Dowling Strip Fumble vs FIU

He made some nice plays vs Louisiana Monroe, a couple solid tackles and a couple solid passes defended.

@2:00 - INT #1 - Dowling

^ The running back for WKU, Antonio Andrews, is getting some hype/love right now in circles.

article: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000248049/article/antonio-andrews-makes-history-at-wku-is-more-on-way

Running back Antonio Andrews set a school record on Saturday with five rushing touchdowns in a 58-17 rout of Morgan State. The senior amassed 291 all-purpose yards, with 213 coming on the ground on just 17 carries. Andrews' touchdowns went for 65, 5, 3, 10 and 14 yards.

Andrews vs Morgan State:

I'll tell you an offensive tackle who is highly underrated ... and that's Michael Schofield of Michigan.

We're talking about a 4 year player who hasn't missed a game. Played in all 13 games in 2010, 2011 & 2012 and currently hasn't missed any of 2013. He's been a starter for the last 3 years.

He's technically their RT but that's not the whole story. If you watch, for example the Minnesota game, you'll see both Lewan and Schofield line up on the same side together, like double tackles, and literally cave-in that side of the defense. 

Now at one point of Schofield's career at Michigan he played Left Guard, that was in 2011. And in some of these formations Lewan covers him up, that's to say, Lewan is aligned outside of Schofield on the line. So you can see his "fit" at guard, as well.

But again that's not the whole picture. Michigan has these two tackles flip sides from play to play. Sometimes they each hold down the opposite bookend, sometimes they line up together on the left side, other times on the right side. It's just interesting and curious to watch these guys move from one side to another and basically announce that's where the run play will go and just lay people out.

And it's great to see both guys get work being "ambidextrous."

Schofield is tall, long ... and athletic. He's a tackle, for all intents. Yet, again, watching the Minny game, this guy gets downfield just fine. He's not a gazelle and you'll see in the Notre Dame game (below) that sometimes he can't run down a LB in the same fashion you'd see from ... oh say, Lane Johnson or Eric Fisher from last year. But, Schofield's not bad either. You can see decent speed for his size. So, check mark for zone blocking fit. And what's more he's sized well for the NFL, at 6'6" to 6'7" and 310 lbs.

On one play in the Minny game, he stalked downfield and blocked both the LB and the charging DB together in one big roadblock. You've seen that before, where a guy blocks a defender backward and right into another defender & the two guys fall over each other like bowling pins. HA, it was a beautiful block. Two guys, in the open field, smoosh block, and more importantly it sprung their RB for a touchdown.

Lewan gets a lot of respect & hype and rightfully so. Lewan can run extremely well in the open field. But let me tell you, Schofield can play and he's going to get a shot at an NFL team.

He would be ideal for our RT position going forward. 

BUT this is what I would do. I would double down on the RT position - aka: load up on tackles and convert one of them to play the "Brute" role of RG or LG. You see this often in the modern NFL where a college tackle comes in and plays on the same side he's familiar with, just a spot over, at guard. What it does is give you two tackles together on one side, with "tackle type" pass protection skills. Also gives you more size on the interior where you'll have bigger defensive players. One example of this concept is a guy who I really liked out of college, that's Zane Beadles. 

What I would do is get Jared Veldheer in free agency to hopefully take over the RT position, lock it down, with a legit NFL talent. Thing about JV is that he's done really well as a LT in this league, even beasts-out at times. So, not only would he secure the RT spot but he could also 'swing' for us to LT, in whatever situations we needed him.

However, there always can be issues when asking a guy to switch sides. And as far as I know, JV played LT exclusively while at Hillsdale. So there is an uncertain element about that transition. I'd put my money on JV to handle it. Hell, if shanahan would only live by his words that he used Day 1 from 2010 and give a true competition, everyone has to earn their own spot, each year, no matter who you are, he might actually take the LT spot.

Anyway, point is, get Veldheer.

THEN, I'd also get Schofield to come in. He'd compete with JV at RT, buttress the position. Schofield would either end up backing up Velhdeer and learning a thing or two, OR maybe, Schofield could slide in to RG, play the "Brute" ... at some point. 

*I'll make another post in the future on Chris Snee's vignette of how to the play RG and why he and his offensive scheme called the RG the Brute.

So you see, just get dense with our line, get depth and add flexible guys who can play multiple spots. But let's try and get some size while we're at it.

In Veldheer we would have a solid NFL talent who has played LT from Day 1, then take over RT. We'd get a solid college RT to add size and strength to the interior at RG (conceivably).

Schofield #75

If any of you have the Big 10 network, check out the Michigan v. Minnesota game and watch ole' #75.

I'd be weary of Michael Scofield. Serious red flags with him. Had a brother on death row, and he did some time for gun charges himself. Really smart guy though, very technical. Always follows the gameplan.

No mention of the tattoos Conn?  ... You might say he IS the gameplan.

:)

I posted this in the gameday thread Re: J. Clowney:

"I'm hardly the expert when it comes to scouting players, so I am prepared to be wrong on this, but JClowney just doesn't impress me that much. Is he talented? Yes, absolutely. However, this is the same guy that I believe was shut down by Xavier Nixon when SC played FSU. One spectacular play against Michigan and all of a sudden he is the greatest defensive player in the history of time? I dont know about all of that. It sucks that he is injured this year so he is struggling a bit...even before those injuries this year I was a bit underwhelmed by his performance. Will he be a solid player in the NFL, probably, but I am pretty sure that TWilliams would be able to hold his own against the guy."

Am I off base on this? Is Clowney as good as people say he is or is he a lot of hype? If so, why is that?

Appreciate it, genuinely curious.

According to the ESPN broadcast last night, at least 26 scouts were in attendance and as many as 20 NFL teams were represented at the Louisville vs Rutgers game. Obviously many were in attendance to see Teddy Bridgewater, as well as Brandon Coleman. Obviously the Redskins are not likely in the market for a marquee QB, let alone in any position to select Teddy B. Yet, despite the headlining attraction of Bridgewater, there were a number of other players of possible interest.

You'll be happy to know that at least one Redskins' associate was there and pictured during the broadcast:

x0um.png

Per Bridgewater, he actually had a not so great game, in my estimation. In fact, if I were one the top selecting teams in the draft, I would reference this game as showing some cracks in the foundation of Teddy B's overall accuracy and general velocity. Some balls were inaccurate, thrown out of bounds, some were underthrown and intercepted, and a handful had a discernible wobble to their flightpath. Now, this was not end-of-the-world type stuff because he would ultimately come through in key moments to precisionally complete a pass when needed. It was just ... not his best game, overall.

Here in the Comprehensive we are all kind-of holding our breath hoping B. Coleman can somehow slide/remain in the 2nd round. There are two competing factors that I can see right now, which are in contrast, concerning Coleman.

1) He's a unique, "elite," body size WR. Everyone is going to want his size on their roster. That increases his stock value & prioritizes his selection.

2) He's not exactly Superman. Despite being really athletic & rare in size, there is still a less than "sudden" aspect to his get up & go, at least from the LOS.

Despite those two obvious observations, when Coleman does get up to full gear, after a catch, in the open field, his stride is so long and he does have athletic long range speed, he'll just run away from people. That aspect is very impressive.

I tend to think it's pretty clear that his physical traits are going to outweigh much of everything else when decision time comes. I believe he'll get selected sooner than later based upon his physique, elite size.

He's also buoyed by the fact that his hands seem pretty good. He did catch the ball with his body a good bit last year, he's at least working on that this year, using the hands. And in watching the game last night, you saw him working the underneath zone on a number of patterns and it made me think of Marques Colston. Insomuch as he didn't look explosive off the line, much like MC, but found those soft spots and made a chain-moving 1st down catch.

To note, I do still think of him as an outside receiver first and foremost. Though the times he lined up in the Slot it was really hard not seeing Colston. I was actually surprised how little Rutgers targeted him in the redzone as well as the goalline. He would have been my first option.

*I'm now dreaming of Coleman and Niklas together going out for a pass in the redzone ...*

For the record, I do think Brandon Coleman is on the Redskin's radar.

In the category of "other players of possible interest," I wanted to point out, to those of you who didn't see the game, that the true Junior, Strong Safety for Louisville, Calvin Pryor III (the 3rd), had what I would deem as an "amazing" game.

Pryor was very active in playing close to the LOS, often run blitzing and taking on a lead fullback. He made some tackles in the backfield and conversely played some short zone pass coverage, you know, picking up a TE or sitting on the Curl zone.

He also had a rather spectacular INT in the 2nd half as the game was within a one score margin. He undercut a deep out route (sideline) and wonderfully dragged both feet to stay in bounds, as he went careening out of bounds. It looked as if he had come from a Cover 2 look, the action was to his side of the field, at the sideline. He just read the play in real time and reacted. He secured the catch and in my estimation it was probably the play of the game.

Here is the clip:http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9805109

Pryor ended the game with 14 total tackles, 11 of which were solo.

At one point of the game the broadcasters opined upon a comparable to Pryor and one of them said they were reminded of Bob Sanders who played at Iowa, then later in the NFL with the Colts.

Pryor is definitely tough. And I see him as an impact Strong Safety. He plays like a Rover SS, up around the LOS like the LBs do, quite often. He will play backed off in a Cover 2 and I think he even played deep a few times, but to note, this was the television broadcast not the All-22 view. Generally he would line up to the strong side or the bunch side and really attack.

#25:

rutgersweb11s-cu6-web.jpg

Now, in observation of Conn's general rules of conduct for the Comprehensive: (under) Article 1, subsection A, paragraph 3: be Curt in your posts.

I'll just give a quick list with the names of other players of interest from the game:

Louisville:

- #83 TE - Ryan Hubbell Senior. Showed athletic nimble feet, good routes & catching, plus blocking.

- #13 LB - James Burgess Soph. ILB, another C.Strong Florida recruit, quick coverage skills, INT.

- #29 FS - Hakeem Smith RS.Senior, had sack & INT, muted compared to Pryor, still interesting.

Rutgers:

- #74 LT - Keith Lumpkin Junior. Big, at 6'8" and lengthy. Showed nice feet.

- #4  WR - Leonte Carroo Soph. Athletic outside receiver had a big game vs Fresno St.

- #86 TE - Tyler Kroft RS Soph. Actually flashed some nice hands last night.

I posted this in the gameday thread Re: J. Clowney:

"I'm hardly the expert when it comes to scouting players, so I am prepared to be wrong on this, but JClowney just doesn't impress me that much. Is he talented? Yes, absolutely. However, this is the same guy that I believe was shut down by Xavier Nixon when SC played FSU. One spectacular play against Michigan and all of a sudden he is the greatest defensive player in the history of time? I dont know about all of that. It sucks that he is injured this year so he is struggling a bit...even before those injuries this year I was a bit underwhelmed by his performance. Will he be a solid player in the NFL, probably, but I am pretty sure that TWilliams would be able to hold his own against the guy."

Am I off base on this? Is Clowney as good as people say he is or is he a lot of hype? If so, why is that?

Appreciate it, genuinely curious.

I realize I'm probably in the minority on this but I think if Clowney played in the ACC or Pac12 he would be considered a first rounder and nothing more. He is an athletic freak for sure and quite talented but he is extremely overhyped.

I realize I'm probably in the minority on this but I think if Clowney played in the ACC or Pac12 he would be considered a first rounder and nothing more. He is an athletic freak for sure and quite talented but he is extremely overhyped.

Clowney isn't hyped cause of the SEC, it is because his high school tape is ridiculous. I mean, he scored 5 defensive td's his senior season. Then there was the Shrine Bowl high school all-star game where he had 3 sacks, 2 other tfl, and drew 5 holding calls. Most elite high school prospects have senior years that are comparable to Clowney's sophomore year.

Just went over his college sophomore year and you can see just how quick he is. Great use of hands and great strength as well. Doesn't give particularly great effort and sometimes gets too high, but he's tough to run on as well as a great pass rusher. I can't 100% say he's a perennial pro bowler as it seems like work ethic trumps natural ability in the nfl. And I say that while knowing he'll be a perennial pro bowler if he comes close to double digit sacks simply because of his name value.

Let me just touch on a few things that should have been posted on Saturday.

The Oregon v Washington game was a good 'ole slug-fest, reformatted in modern day Spread and Option offense. If we have scouts, hopefully some of them went to that game because those are the players of the modern era. And there were some stars in that game. Many of which are unattainable.

Marcus Mariota is going to be a high first round selection. At least he should be. I base this upon what I've seen from him and how I feel about his game overall. I also know that NFL executives have shown time and again to covet physical attributes, measurables, things that you just have - not something you can incubate out of each and every guy. The big, tall, fast and strong get noticed and selected early - even if raw.

It's the fact that he is tall, big and can run extremely well, which is what gives him the leg up on other QBs. Mariota is more of a dropback first kind-of guy, to me, despite his ability to run. Let me just say out right, Mariota is more of a physical specimen than Teddy Bridgewater. Mariota's legs are better, he's bigger, taller and I think Mariota spins the ball in a much more straightline tragetory, less lob - less arch (and thus less hangtime) and likewise with more velocity than Teddy B. Mariota has a big arm in general.

Love Teddy B., have for awhile. BUT, Mariota ... I've seen this song and dance before. He's got more of that Newton-esque athleticism. Not the same mind you, I'm not making a comparison between those two.

All of those attributes are going to drive someone to like him more than Teddy B.

I don't think Sankey is attainable. If you watched the game you had to love his running style and ability. I mean he's got everyone on him the last few weeks. He's being hyped big time right now, so. I'd love to have him on the roster but I doubt he's available when were on the clock.

The Washington TE, Seferian-Jenkins, made the kind of catches you see on Sundays. He's a legit catcher. You could see the hand size, the arms extended away from the body, good catch radius. You'd just hope to get him for value. He had that off-field thing, that dings him in terms of stock value. TEs also last longer on draft day for whatever reason. He also has to split stats with other players so his numbers aren't too gaudy. All of that lends itself to getting this guy on the cheap, like in the mid rounds. That's an ideal place for cheap investment and get a big return by way of athletic ability and natural size.

Ekpre-Olomu is still a 1st rounder to me. He's got 36 total tackles this year in 6 games, with 1 INT versus 25 tackles and 2 INTs in the first 6 games last year. People are still quiet on him.

If you watched the trenches, as I did, you saw Wade Keliikipi take on double teams, get a few TFLs and add a sack. He had a day down in the dirty. I actually think he's more valuable to that Oregon defense than Taylor Hart. On the day Wade had 4 total tackles, 2.5 were TFL and he actually had 1.5 sacks. Currently one of the more undervalued players on Oregon and a guy who can play 0 Tech.

BTW, I didn't notice Shelton at all. In the handful of games I've seen this year of Washington, I keep meaning to check him out but I never come away actually seeing him ...

Josh Huff has some redeeming athletic qualities about him too. Each time he got the ball I thought he'd break it to the house. It seemed he constantly shook the first guy and gained extra yards.

Let me just make a note about De'Anthony Thomas.

Thomas is a 1st rounder. I don't care what CBS says. They currently have him in the 3rd round, listed as a RB. That's just goofball stupid. Thomas is no more a RB (as he is listed on CBS) than he is a WR. He's an athlete extraordinaire. And he's been one of the most dynamic and talked about players for the last 3 years.

He's been dealing with an ankle injury this year and not to mention a **** ton of media overexposure and redundant gossip talk, which carries a lot of expectation. We're seeing the same pregnant pause that Clowney happens to be experiencing, with Thomas. Trust, NFL execs still covet his natural skills.

Despite not having any ESPN highlights to point at in the last few weeks (and that's really what I think our culture / media is ****ing about with both guys), you are not going to get as dynamic a player like Thomas from just anywhere. For him to go in the 3rd round is just nuts and I don't believe it will happen ... it won't happen.

People can come up with this, that and the other, none of it matters. People will say he's small, doesn't matter. People will say he doesn't have a true position, doesn't matter. He'll get used in the NFL just the same way he's used in NCAA - multiple.

And when this guy workouts out at the end of the year, when he runs past historic numbers in the combine and pro day, slips ans slides past GMs retinas - those same people who are detracting right now, will fall in love with him all over again. GMs may hide their love, they may even send out misinformation in order to cause a rumormill, they may send out smoke to try and create a media hype in order to slide his stock, BUT, Thomas' talent is coveted.

Archived