Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I HATE Texas!

There actually was a player from Texas that stood out to me when watching the red river rivalry last weekend and it was the RT for Texas, Kennedy Estelle

He wears #77. He looked good for much of the game until Eric Striker of Oklahoma just blew right by him on a couple blitzes and put heavy pressure on the QB. Overall Estelle is still maturing physically.

He's a true Soph but starting. I noted that he had nice feet, moved softly on the balls of his feet, bounced lively in his slide. He moved pretty well. He's also noticeably tall. He's listed at 6'7". And he's lean looking despite being listed at 290 lbs, has long limbs and he has a similar frame to Jammal Brown.

And when you look at his pedigree coming into college - you realize why he is starting as a true Soph.

• Prep All-American
  • All-state, All-Area & All-District performer (Texas)
  • Played in the 2012 Under Armour All-America Game
  • Member of ESPNU’s top 150 national prospects
  • Ranked as the seventh-best offensive tackle & 58th-best overall prospect by ESPNU
  • Ranked as the 110th-best overall prospect by the Sporting News
  • Member of the Houston Chronicle’s "The Houston 100" (top prospects in greater Houston area)
  • The Fort Worth Star-Telegram’s Elite 11 & the Austin American-Statesman’s Fab 55 (state’s top prospects)
  • Sports Illustrated High School All-America second-team selection as a senior
  • An All-Greater Houston first-team selection (Houston Chronicle)
  • A first-team Preseason Super Team selection by Dave Campbell’s Texas Football
  • Named first-team All-State by the Texas Sports Writers Association
  • Named first-team All-District 24-4A

Houston happens to be a mecca of High School scouting.

And this guy was distinguished within the highly scrutinized.

More than meets the eye with Borland

The 2009 Big Ten Freshman of the Year and two-time first-team all-conference selection is having his best season yet, making him a strong bet for conference defensive player of the year and All-America honors. His next forced fumble will tie him for the FBS record. Tales of his athletic exploits have become legendary around Madison, while his teammates, coaches and even opponents speak about him in reverential tones.
Being a fifth-year senior has its benefits. For Borland -- a history major who will graduate in December -- one of those means no classes on Thursdays.

He uses that free time to volunteer at Stoner Prairie in nearby Fitchburg every Thursday morning, spending about an hour helping out with first, second and third graders ...

At 5-foot-11, Borland is often described as undersized for a middle linebacker. But he packs 246 pounds on that frame without wasted space. What stands out about his hourlong workout was not how much he lifted but rather how he went about things. He was the only player who ran from station to station, sweating himself through a long-sleeved red shirt.

Wisconsin strength coach Evan Simon calls Borland "The Thing," after the "Fantastic Four" character whose skin is made out of rocks. Simon joined the Badgers in January as part of first-year head coach Gary Andersen's staff, and like most others he marvels at Borland's work ethic and desire.

"He is one of a small percentage of athletes who are both genetically gifted and give 100 percent effort," Simon said. "That's a rare breed. He will be the standard we use for every football player that comes in here for years to come. That will be his legacy."

Aranda calls Borland "the perfect fit" for the 3-4 alignment he brought to Wisconsin this season. The scheme allows Borland more freedom to roam and make plays, and he has seemingly been around the ball on just about every snap this year.

He was especially destructive in the 31-24 loss at Ohio State, registering a career-high 16 tackles. That included both a fourth-and-1 and a goal-line stop of Buckeyes' running back Carlos Hyde, a 235-pounder who isn't used to being stood up by just one defender.

Like all Badgers players, he downloads game film and cut-ups on his iPad, which also includes Aranda's notes and diagrams on defensive plays. Borland said he watches about an hour's worth of film on his own time every day, and he takes copious notes on a yellow legal pad.

As he watched Northwestern film on Thursday afternoon, he guided a visitor through what he saw.

As Northwestern lined up for another play on the iPad video, Borland correctly predicted, "that right guard is going to pull." How did he know?

"Look at his head compared to everybody else on the line," he said. "It's like a full six inches back. His left shoulder is up, and his weight's on his heels."

This story began by calling Borland the Big Ten's most respected player. That's not hyperbole.

At Big Ten media days this summer, Borland was sitting at a table conducting a chat for ESPN.com. Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer walked by and stopped. He shook Borland's hand, asked him where he went to high school and told him how much he enjoyed watching him play.

Northwestern's Fitzgerald called Borland "as relentless of a football player as I've seen maybe in a couple of years."

"I have a little twinkle in my eye for linebackers," Fitzgerald said. "That's the way you're supposed to play the position."

Aranda calls Borland the model for all young Wisconsin players and wishes he had more time to coach him.

"I'll call him up to go watch tape and he's at the hospital visiting patients," Aranda said. "He makes you want to be a better person. I feel deficient as a human being at times."

A Baltimore Ravens scout visited Wisconsin on Thursday morning and asked Aranda which players he should watch. Aranda mentioned Borland first before going through his other guys. The scout didn't say much, just nodded and wrote down the names.

As the scout was leaving Thursday night, he stopped by Aranda's office and told him, "I had so much fun watching Chris. That kid's a first-rounder."

Originally Published: October 15, 2013
By Brian Bennett | ESPN.com

video link

Gabe Jackson - Mississippi State Profile

• 2013:
  • Named 2013 preseason All-American by Athlon Sports & Phil Steele
  • Named the best offensive lineman in the SEC by the Birmingham News

• 2012:
  • Named to the Phil Steele & FoxSportsNext All-America Second Team
  • Earning honorable mention All-America honors from Sports Illustrated and Pro Football Weekly
  • Earned First-Team All-SEC honors by the AP & Phil Steele
  • Earned Second-team honors by the SEC Coaches and ESPN.com
  • A midseason All-American by Phil Steele and Scout.com
  • Member of the 2012 Outland Trophy Watch List & Rotary Lombardi Award Watch List
  • Started all 13 games at left guard

• 2011:
  • Named to the AP and Rivals.com All-SEC Second-Team
  • Named Rivals.com Sophomore All-American team
  • Started at left guard for all 13 games

• 2010:
  • SEC All-Freshman selection by the coaches
  • Earned the starting spot at left guard prior to the season opener

• 2009:
  • Redshirted his true freshman year.

• HIGH SCHOOL:
  • Ranked as the No. 52 offensive tackle prospect in the country by recruiting website Scout.com
  • Considered the third-best offensive lineman in Mississippi by Scout.com
  • Rivals.com ranked him as the No. 85 offensive tackle prospect in the nation
  • Rivals ranked him as the No. 28 prospect in the state of Mississippi & the 4th-best offensive lineman

Mississippi State guard Gabe Jackson impresses

The 6-4, 335-pounder, known for his ability to drive-block at the point of attack, had five pancake blocks and was named Southeastern Conference Offensive Lineman of the Week following MSU's win over Troy. His power and strength remind many of former Alabama star guard Chance Warmack, who was a first-round pick of the Tennessee Titans in April.

Several NFL scouts were in attendance at Scott Field to evaluate Jackson, according to the Sun Herald, and one "high-ranking and well-respected" scout was apparently blown away by Jackson's performance: "Really, really impressive. He is one big and powerful man."

Bulldogs coach Dan Mullen:

He's a guy who has started every game that he's been here for. He's continually improved. He really works as a professional. He works at his game, and constantly improving his game, in every aspect of the game," Mullen said.

"He has a very serious approach to the game of football, loves it, works at his techniques, his fundamentals. And on top of that, he's a powerful, talented young man."

Gabe Jackson vs LSU 2013

Gabe Jackson vs Oklahoma State (2013)

Andrus Peat Profile #70

LT #70

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_24132873/stanford-left-tackle-andrus-peat-cashing-potential

STANFORD -- The black-and-white photo in Andrus Peat's locker serves as a daily reminder for Stanford's super-sized lineman.

The image shows his father as a Los Angeles Raiders guard from the early 1990s. Todd Peat played six seasons in the NFL, including three for Art Shell's Raiders.

the 6-foot-7, 300-pound sophomore tackle ...

Peat has earned the key role because of his agility and speed as much as for his mansionlike girth.

Peat is part of the next generation of Stanford linemen considered top NFL prospects.

But coaches have been more effusive about Peat ...

"This kid's ceiling could be in the stars somewhere," Cardinal line coach Mike Bloomgren said.

Stanford's David Shaw: Andrus Peat can be a "special" left tackle

David Shaw has been around some elite offensive linemen over the past six years as Stanford has reinvented itself into one of the most physical teams in all of college football. Guard David DeCastro was a first-round pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers, tackle Jonathan Martin a second-round selection of the Miami Dolphins, and senior All-America guard David Yankey will join his former Cardinal teammates in the NFL soon enough.

Considering that impressive pedigree, it really stands out when Shaw uses the word "special" multiple times to describe sophomore left tackle Andrus Peat.

"We haven't had anybody with the athletic ability that he has. There's no ceiling right now. We're talking about special. Different category," Shaw said Thursday.

Shaw even went as far as saying he didn't know how many offensive tackles in the nation would be better than Peat this season.

"Six-(foot)-six and a half, 315 pounds and he moves like a tight end," Shaw said. "Fast, quick, explosive. The guys can't get around him. He's too athletic. He's big but he moves."

Peat was the top prep player in Arizona in 2012, earning four and five-star grades from all the recruiting services. Sporting News even declared him the nation's best recruit, reflecting a strong family bloodline. His father, Todd, played with the St. Louis and Phoenix Cardinals and Los Angeles Raiders for six seasons in the late 1980s and early 90s

It could be just me, but Peat needs to get much stronger before anyone calls him a surefire elite talent. He seems to get jolted, gets herky-jerky, at the POA quite often.

___

other stanford:

In Vid below WR Devon Cajuste es post stands out again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb-_LrNnFJc

@ 0:46 Cajuste TD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtdPx21sjBc

^ Yeah I guess Cajuste is used more as a WR than a TE.

Dig a hole. Fill a hole. We move on from a productive player while that player is still on the team. We us top level draft resources to get another productive player at the same position. We dont use them together. We still have needs everywhere.

The draft is never that black and white. Corey Lemonier wasn't a need for the 49ers but they took him anyway and it's paying off now. Do you think the Vikings regret taking Adrian Peterson because they "didn't need" him? He's clearly a very talented player which at the end of the day is the bottom line.

The draft is never that black and white. Corey Lemonier wasn't a need for the 49ers but they took him anyway and it's paying off now. Do you think the Vikings regret taking Adrian Peterson because they "didn't need" him? He's clearly a very talented player which at the end of the day is the bottom line.

why do you think these examples relate specifically to my point? We are not in the same situation as the 49ers who don't have major holes to fill like we do. We are not in the sane situation as the Vikings and lol Adrian Peterson is not just another RB he was clearly a stud the gap between him and most any other RB the Vikings or anyone else in the league had is like the Grand Canyon.

Would you advocate using resources to upgrade Morris and Garçon and not upgrade RT/SAF/DL?

There is a difference between amassing talent vs building a team. You don't want to spend top resources building redundancy (log jam of takent) that fails improve the overall offensive or defensive units and doesn't address areas of that are in need of replacement/upgrade.

TLDR: if you have holes fill them don't dig and fill new holes

Ebron played like a high 1st rounder last night. He's probably the first TE taken in the draft because of the athletic hybrid status. I'm thinking like Vernon Davis early. The circus catches add to the wow factor. So you can scratch him off our list.

Tre Boston made some plays, not just the served up INT, but more in run support.

Renner, again, he's got some redeeming qualities. Has some ok to good plays and then some boneheaded ones. Likely undrafted.

Seantrel Henderson moves well for a guy his size and weight but is so underwhelming once you watch him for more than a few plays. He's got trouble latching on to a defender downfield in the run game. And in pass-pro he allows people into his body despite his huge frame. He tends to slide off blocks, or can't stay with them for long, or overextends in pass-pro. I mean you want to really like him and yet he just doesn't deliver. I'm sure a coach or multiple coaches will look at his measurables, how he gets out of his stance (first step) and say that he/they can develop the raw material. IDK, could be a risk.

Perryman: You can tell he's an athlete, that's for sure. When he had a clear lane to someone he could make the tackle. He can close in pretty good hurry. BUT, he's not altogether (to coin a phrase by Steve) the sum of his entire parts. I put down a post earlier where I had side-by-side cutups from Borland, Perryman & Bradford. And I suggest watching these various LBs side by side for immediate comparisons.

Perryman is not very good at getting off blocks. In fact he gets swallowed up all too easily. You could notice this vs UNC (not a dynamo), as well as other ACC contestants. In one part he's having difficulty avoiding the block itself. He'll run wide of the block, get out of position on contain, or simply get reached and shielded. In another part he's poor at shedding and disengaging the block itself.

In all honesty, I think Borland is a better LB than Perryman. Not the better athlete, but a better football player.

Im still on the fence with Clowney. He seems to only go all out 50% of the time. Has bad technique and relies on his athleticism a lot, which of course he has plenty of. He shows good initial burst off the line when hes fresh, but a lot of the time if he doesnt win on that first step he stands straight up and stops workin. Everyone on S Car gasses out pretty often, but only Clowney gets talked about for it. Hes gonna get picked top 3 on ability and potential, but hes gonna need some serious work when he gets to an NFL camp.

We should probably give a look to Tavarres King, 5th round WR this year by the Broncos. They promoted him to their active roster from PS this week when the Packers tried to sign him to their active roster, but today they elected to cut him to make room for Von Miller.

4.3-4.4 guy, with a history of returning kicks and punts.

Ok, player to watch in the future. Tennessee-WR-#8-Marquez North. 6/4, 215. True freshman this year, but he looks like a future playmaker. Seems like he's just a deepthreat jump ball guy right now, but the hands and athletic ability are there. He can go get it like all the great ones. Just hope his route running progresses as he matures.

why do you think these examples relate specifically to my point? We are not in the same situation as the 49ers who don't have major holes to fill like we do. We are not in the sane situation as the Vikings and lol Adrian Peterson is not just another RB he was clearly a stud the gap between him and most any other RB the Vikings or anyone else in the league had is like the Grand Canyon.

Would you advocate using resources to upgrade Morris and Garçon and not upgrade RT/SAF/DL?

There is a difference between amassing talent vs building a team. You don't want to spend top resources building redundancy (log jam of takent) that fails improve the overall offensive or defensive units and doesn't address areas of that are in need of replacement/upgrade.

I liked that post because I agreed with the general sentiment and found it intelligent, which is rare for you (I'll leave it to you to decide which part of that sentence was a joke).

Disagree strongly on Reed, though. For this year, he doesn't make the overall roster much stronger. In the long run (meaning 2104 even)   he looks to me like he's going to be a good deal better than Davis. He;s 4.5 years younger, doesn't have the health history of Davis and will save the team millions in cap space per year which can be used to upgrade other spots. That adds up to a lot of good being done with the pick. I wouldn't ever judge a draft pick based on first year impact. Not more than a tiny amount.

And to do all that with a late 3rd is a great pick, imo.

I wasn't in the draft room and I didn't see the draft board. The prior year we drafted for need in the 3rd round and unless there's a huge improvment from that player that's a waste of a pick all together. There's much more to the draft than just plugging holes. The pick gets weighed against the value of players at othe positions, whether the player at the other position is an upgrade over what we have at that position, whether the need at the other position is big enough to overshawdow the fact that Reed was the best player on the board at the time, etc...Then you look at the value Reed can bring in the scheme we run, and is what he brings more valuable to the team overall than a player at a position of what YOU consider a bigger need. There is so much that goes into this process that we're not privy to, and what's more in 3 years what will have to say if Reed is a valuable cog in the passing game while non of the tackles that went after him in the 3rd and 4th round haven't amounted to much? Once again the bottom line is they appear to have found an extremely talented player and I'd rather have that value than just taking because it's at a position of need. That's not, never has been and never will be how the draft works.

Yawin Smallwood #33 vs Michigan 2013

Yawin Smallwood #33 vs Maryland 2013

This would be a tremendous pick in the 2nd round IMO. Cieling isn't extravegant but he's a technically sound, intelligent player that would fit very well right away as a 3-4 ILB.

If Jordan Mathews drops to the second round because of a slow 40 time he's going to make a whole lotta people look a whole lotta stupid. Overall he's the most complete WR in the country IMO once the pads are on and the games start he might be prove to be the standout player in this year's class. There's a lot to be said for smart receivers and it's an attribute that is often overlooked but can be very crucial. To me the shortcomings he has athletically are completely irellevant and will not hold him back.

SJValley-How was Josh LeRib a need pick?

We had and still have 2 starting quality OGs on the roster?

When a team drafts any player obviously they consider that player the highest rated on their board. The question only time can answer is whether or not they were right.

Rufus-

In the long run who knows what's gonna happen?

Speculating on Reeds future with a positive slant is as pointless as speculating on Reeds future with a negative slant.

Classic touch with the personal jab. Stay classy.

-Cheers

SJValley-How was Josh LeRib a need pick?

We had and still have 2 starting quality OGs on the roster?

When a team drafts any player obviously they consider that player the highest rated on their board. The question only time can answer is whether or not they were right.

Rufus-

In the long run who knows what's gonna happen?

Speculating on Reeds future with a positive slant is as pointless as speculating on Reeds future with a negative slant.

Classic touch with the personal jab. Stay classy.

-Cheers

At the time he was a need pick the interior offensive line was considered a weakness going in to the 2012 season. If only time can tell whether or not they're right why are you knocking the pick like you're sure every safety and tackle that went after read are going to a hand full of pro bowls?

Archived