Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Abbrederis suffered chest injury on a key Wisconsin touchdown in the third quarter.

No. 24 Wisconsin started to pull away from host Iowa Hawkeyes in the second half and key to the Badgers' efforts was a 20-yard touchdown pass from Joel Stave to his favorite target, All-Big Ten WR Jared Abbrederis.

Unfortunately, Abbrederis' touchdown was his last play of the game. After making the touchdown catch, he came off the field hurting.

vid ---> http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9916598

Navy played an incredible game today.

Hats off to those guys for taking it to a team full of bigger, faster and better athletes for nearly four quarters. Despite all the disadvantages they kept charging ahead. They should have won. Their offensive playcalling was on point, their execution was, at times, precision mastered. The fake double option to a reverse pitch, on 4th down, was beautifully designed, it just happened to be that their one playside o-lineman missed the one key block. The option fake to pass, on 1st down, in the 4th quarter, for a 34 yard TD, was a perfect playcall after literally blasting the defensive line backwards with the pounding run game.

Good game all around.

As for Cam McDaniel. He's got Patriots written all over him, ha. Literally can see him getting picked up as an undrafted or maybe a late round, like a 7th, and basically fill that "Danny Woodhead" role, for lack of a better term. Basically just do what he does already, as a situational RB.

Missouri CB E.J. Gaines picks up fourth interception

Missouri cornerback E.J. Gaines came off two missed games due to a quad muscle injury in impressive form Saturday night, intercepting his fourth pass of the season in a 31-3 win over Tennessee.

Gaines, a senior who is expected to be chosen next May in the NFL draft, helped keep the home Tigers in first place in the SEC East with a team-high six tackles to go with his interception. He also recorded a pass breakup and a tackle for loss in his first action since sustaining the injury in an upset road win at Georgia.

New Tennessee starter Joshua Dobbs threw the interception by Gaines on the first play of a second-quarter drive with Missouri leading 10-0. Gaines returned the pick 15 yards to the UT 26, setting up a 26-yard touchdown pass from Maty Mauk to L'Damian Washington on the next play.

Gaines has made seven career interceptions. He entered the game tied for the Southeastern Conference lead in interceptions per game at 0.5.

Also solid in run support, Gaines has had as good a season as any cornerback in the SEC.

vid --> http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:9919372

Brandon Thomas update:

Thomas, LT #63, sometimes squared up directly against Christian Jones. First play of cut-up, against Jones, arm throw for a takedown by Thomas.

Jones switched to the other side to get away from Thomas.

In general:

- Good, strong hand shiver

- Looks strong upper body

- Can pick up stunts

- Decent feet, crowhop & can slide, move to the 2nd level

- Nice drive in run blocking

- Decent base against bullrush

- Upper body strength noticeable, especially arms

- Blocks at angles (down) in run

- Not a free runner athlete like our guys

- Awareness ... ok

I like him as a Guard. Tackle wise, he holds his own. Don't know if he has the quickness, the glide or light-on-your-feet presence for the upper level as the edge.

Uhm, while we're at it ... forget Christian Jones for interior LB, give me Telvin Smith. Talk about speed and presence of mind in the pass game. Built for the defense 4-2-5 against modern Spread.

Top Prospect of Week 8: Florida State LB Telvin Smith

1023_Telvin-Smith_inside.jpg

Outside linebacker Telvin Smith, however, hasn't generated as much hype ... at least not in the media. Scouts leaving the game, however, were quick to point to Smith's athleticism and awareness as "hidden" factors in Florida State's ability to shut down Clemson's high-powered offense.

Under the legendary Bobby Bowden and defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews, the Seminoles built the mold for undersized athletic linebackers just like the 6-foot-2, 218-pound Smith.

Few of the 220-pounders that starred for Florida State during this era were able to continue their success as linebackers in the NFL. The physical demands of the position were often too much for players of this size, forcing some to attempt to make the switch to safety.

Smith's toughness and athleticism give him as good a shot as any of Florida State's undersized linebackers over the year. Better yet, he's poised to the enter the NFL at a time in which teams are more willing than ever to sacrifice mass for speed and instincts in coverage from the linebacker position.

Smith's athleticism was demonstrated almost immediately against the Tigers. Though Joyner was the defender who ripped the ball away from Stanton Seckinger on the first play from scrimmage, Smith hit the Clemson tight end first. Further, it was Smith who batted away the Tigers' next series, knocking down a 3rd down pass from Boyd to running back Roderick McDowell that forced Clemson's first punt.

He wasn't just asked to cover backs and tight ends in this contest. Smith covered Clemson wideouts, including superstar Sammy Watkins, at times -- and covered him well.

Regardless of Smith's coverage ability, to play linebacker in the NFL, one must be a forceful and reliable open field tackler.

Perhaps the play that best illustrated Smith's strengths and weaknesses in this regard came early in the second quarter with Florida State ahead 17-7.

Boyd hit McDowell on a quick swing pass to his right and the 5-foot-9, 190-pound running back caught the ball with nearly 15 yards of open field between himself and Smith, whose rapid closing seemed to illustrate that he had coverage responsibilities. McDowell tried to shake the linebacker but Smith's explosive speed seemed to catch the running back by surprise and the two collided for what looked like a four-yard loss.

Instead, McDowell was able to wiggle free, reversing his field to run left, before cutting back right into the middle of the field... only to find the hustling Smith waiting to knock the back to the ground for a loss of eight.

The chaotic second quarter tackle for loss was Smith's only "big" play from a statistical standpoint. Officially Florida State credited him with 11 tackles, though he appeared to be on more. Further, their stat sheet doesn't recognize the handful pass breakups he seemed to force in this game.

Regardless of the statistical evidence, Smith's ability to cover sideline to sideline, appeared to unnerve the Tigers.

Telvin Smith vs Pittsburgh 2013

I'm definitely new to this kid, but wow, the speed.

Reminds me of a play that what's-his-buckets, from Georgia last year, did for the Rams (#51) with an INT pick-6. Ogletree I think.

Telvin Smith intrigues me.  I wish he was a bit more aggressive attacking the running back, but I wonder if that's a scheme thing.  I do like his speed, and he seems pretty natural in coverage.  I worry about his weight (obviously), and that he doesn't fight off blocks, but then again neither of our ILB's do that either.

Where would Telvin Smith get drafted?  I'm assuming a Day 3 pick because of his lack of size right?

I would like to throw a couple names out there.

This year: Ahmad Dixon, DB, 6' 0"- 210 lbs.

And he has a nasty streak. Not afraid to hit people, and is very decent in cover skills.

Can be a little undisciplined at times, but he more then makes up for it with his play.

Next year- Bryce Petty, 6'3", 230lbs, runs a 4.6, can make just about all the throws.

Just needs some game experience.

With the talk of possibly trading Cousins (??), Petty would be a really good replacement.

He is ranked #2 in QBR after the trouncing Baylor gave Oklahoma.

C. Richardson will be a good pick for a OL, but I think he may go higher then we pick, and,

Baylor OL that have been drafted high, have not performed well in the NFL.

Monk got permanently banned guys. It really sucks and this thread just isn't going to be the same without him. We saw eye to eye on almost every prospect and I'm going to miss his incredibly detailed and insightful posts.

Yeah talked to him the other day too. Unfortunate as you said he was damn insightful. I have no doubt though everyone else here will still make great contributions 

Monk got permanently banned guys. It really sucks and this thread just isn't going to be the same without him. We saw eye to eye on almost every prospect and I'm going to miss his incredibly detailed and insightful posts.

Maybe we can hire a bingo caller to do a relay from the booth.

Monk sends in his report via proxy.

Wow, what did he do?

After watching our special teams I wouldn't mind a draft consisting of nothing but linebackers and safeties.  It might be on the coaching, but our teams coverage gets outplayed every week.

Right now I like how this draftboard is shaping for us. First round will be dominated by QB´s, lineman, passrushers and a handfull of pass catchers. This could make it possible for us to grab a very talented corner in the second. 

Corner is a position that kinda needs time to grow on you, so I like to see us invest in that. 

Names I would be looking at: Jason Verrett, Bradley Roby, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Loucheiz Purifoy, Marcus Roberson, Justin Gilbert, Aaron Colvin. 

Other positions I would like to upgrade is OT and ILB, but don't see that working out very well. I think you might be looking at 5 to 8 OT's going in round one. ILB not that much depth, I do like Andrew Jackson. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=151OYT23VbA. He is big, physical and has some attitude. Normaly I'm not a big fan of big mouth disrespecting players with off the field issues...but this guy has something in him. 

Archived