Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

To break away from the last post I wanted to touch on another player who stood out:

Tyler Johnstone

hi-res-6920890_display_image.jpg?1358282

I picked up on this guy last year when folks were talking about Kyle Long. And Long was a good story and all but even he couldn't oust Johnstone (who was a redshirt freshman) from the LT spot in 2012.

The fact that Long was relegated to LG made me focus more on Johnstone.

And while I had some issues with Long as a tackle. I could see that his fit was more as an interior guy, more brute. Long wasn't quite nimble enough for the edge.

Johnston is extremely balanced on his feet. Now he is light in terms of his weight. His Oregon bio lists him at 277 lbs.

Espn however lists him at 292 lbs. Honestly I think espn just makes things up for the hell of it. I mean where is their source material for that claim?

Anyway, he's lighter than 300 pounds and I think the minimum starting point for all intents is 300 lbs. Nonetheless, you look at his frame and you can easily see the weight getting there in time. Johnstone is smooth as silk when it comes to his slide and mirror techniques. I can't think of a time when I ever saw someone juke him or slide past him without Johnstone adjusting. And it's how he adjusts that impresses me. He uses his feet.

I know that sounds like, simple, but using your feet rather than lunging or getting off balance is why this guy is a legit prospect. He just has IT, as it pertains to Tackles / o-line.

Johnstone is #64. He plays LT, so Spy him out when you watch an Oregon game. He's quick to the outside shoulder of the defender, good with tandem blocks because he's so quick. He can move downfield really well. There's actually no reason why he couldn't do what Kory L. does currently for us at LG. Here are some cuts from the Washington game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VTh9m9ogN0

He's currently only a Redshirt-Soph, he is eligible but probably not going to enter this early. The video below attests to the fact that he's still a kid, young college guy. If he did enter, we could likely get him at a great value and develop him for a year or two.

Just wanted to come in and say the pick of Jordan Reed looks that much better every passing week. He's turning into a legitimate #1 type TE for us with his ability to stretch the field

Not for me. Adding Reed didn't improve the passing more then having Davis. Imo we addressed a next year problem with this year resources.

Not for me. Adding Reed didn't improve the passing more then having Davis. Imo we addressed a next year problem with this year resources.

If we were able to keep Davis on the field with Reed, it would have been a plus, but all we did was pull one playmaker off the field and replace him with another. We didn't change much.

Doesn't that still make it a quality pick?  He's contributing as a rookie.  The position may be treading water compared to what we did with Fred Davis pre-injury last season.  But we're getting contributions out of our 3rd round pick, for a cheap price, while being set for the future.

Comparing him to the other Tight Ends drafted in 2013, so far so good.  Keep in mind, that's only with 4 games played compared to 6 for guys like Eifert and Ertz.

http://pfref.com/tiny/KHrFD

So last night exposed interior Oline as more of a problem than we had previously thought. Add that to the list for next year. I'm not a personnel guy like some of you in here, but if someone is bored and wants a fun project I think it would be cool to break down the FA and draft classes at a number of positions to see if there is a solid plan to be had.

Specifically on defense FS, ILB, CB, and DL (in order of importance IMO). On offense, WR, WR, RT, OG. OG might be more of a need than RT, we'll have to see how the season plays out.

I know WR we have a great opportunity to add talent through FA and the draft, as I think both are deep with prospects and good young talent. This position is in great need of an upgrade. Garçon is our only playmaker at the position.

Now to break away yet again, with a separate post, to focus on a group of guys from a less marquee program.

I don't know how many of you watched the Bills game this weekend but it featured former Duke QB  Thaddeus Lewis. Yes Lewis played at Duke and is currently playing in the NFL. He was a member of the 2010 NFL Draft class, however, he went undrafted, as was expected. For those who follow ACC or even follow Duke, Lewis was a player that brought respectability to an otherwise un-thought-of program. Lewis was tough as nails. He took big time shots from supposed big time players at big time schools and kept getting up, kept scrambling and creating and eventually slinging the ball. Lewis is a gamer.

Here is something from his game on Sunday:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/10/buffalo-bills-thad-lewis-touchdown/

thadreax.jpg

And yes Thad Lewis has had his brain and arm anointed by the QB genius David Cutcliffe.

Here is an espn article on Lewis prior to his start yesterday:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/92061/who-is-thad-lewis-bengals-lb-knows

"That guy's a competitor, No. 1. I give him that," Rey said. "I just remember being at Duke and he had just like a no-lose mentality. He's going to fight until the end."

Lewis commanded a level of respect when he was at Duke. He threw for more than 300 yards seven times during his senior season. That includes a four-game stretch in the middle of the year that included wins over Virginia, Maryland and North Carolina State and a loss to defending-conference champion Virginia Tech. The win over NC State came against former Wolfpack quarterback and current seattle signal-caller Russell Wilson. Lewis threw for 459 yards that day.

Lewis was 19 for 32 for 216 yards and 2 passing TDs, with 1 rushing TD, in the loss yesterday to Cincy in overtime (27 to 24). Lewis was sacked 5 times.

There is another Duke QB who has a few things in common with Lewis and his name is

Anthony Boone.

First and foremost similarity, Boone is tough. It was on September 7, week 2, that Boone broke his collerbone in the match up vs Memphis. He returned last Saturday to face off against Navy. After having surgery to expedite the healing and a whirlwind recovery and rehab, Boone suited up. I doubt he was 100%.

Anthony completed 31 of 38 passes for 295 yards and 3 passing TDs.

One of which was to Max McCaffrey - Yes, the son of Ed McCaffrey, of shanahan and Denver lore.

Boone was awarded ACC's Offensive-Back of the Week for his performance vs Navy, two days ago.

An additional similarity, he too is coached by David Cutcliffe. The Duke offense reeled in inefficiency when Boone left the lineup. His backup was really green and full of fatal turnovers which lost games. As soon as Boone stepped back onto the playing field the passing game finally became unlocked again and therefore Cutcliffe's Pistol offense took off. It was against Navy, but nonetheless, it showed signs of life.

Boone even played key roles while backing Sean Renfree the last couple years. He entered games, even started a few and kept the offense running smoothly. At times I often felt Boone would have been better for the team than Renfree, since Anthony brought the element of running on designed option plays or straight-up scrambling. I've made a number of posts about him here and there over the last two Comprehensives.

Lastly, the final similarity and what is so compelling about Anthony Boone is that he has a legit NFL arm. He won't get compared to someone like tannehill but you'll notice the arm.

The throw Boone dials in from 30 yards out, it's seen in the vid below at the 0.08 seconds mark, that toss was a nice spiral but powerful throw. He can put some velocity on his passes when he needs to. Now, that was a wide open route, right down the seam, vertical route. But it shows his arm strength.

Boone is also a baseball player, in similar regard to R. Wilson. You can see the baseball mechanics. This last summer Boone was one of the counselors at the Peyton Manning Passing Academy, undoubtedly set up by Cutcliffe's and Manning's relationship.

So Boone has been exposed to some great things, great minds. He has absorbed some lessons and has show the flicker of intelligent football, athletic ability, as well as passion for the game.

Now he's a Redshirt Junior. He likely feels this season was almost taken away from him, now he has it back. I suspect he'll stay at Duke while he still has eligibility. I'd expect him for the 2015 draft. But, again, you never know - it may be 2014.

Brass tax: He's likely, even if he compiles some great performances, only to be considered, at best, a late round selection, but likely undrafted. He's not altogether that tall, probably just at 6" feet. He isn't altogether an elite athlete either. We're talking about a guy who is going to get a chance to compete at camp. But don't underestimate the drive and the passion that comes from guys like Boone, who are hungry, tough, fight and are taught well with the lessons of the position by some of the best.

NUNKCYDAMOEFGIP.20120918181738.jpg

In other Duke news there are a few guys to watch in general. One is Jamison Crowder - He is a nice WR/PR/KR. He isn't as dynamic as say, TJ Graham (NC State, 3rd round - 2012), not on the same level, I don't think. Though Crowder does makes some nice adjustments on the ball while in the air. He does have a handful of nice catches. I'm mostly referring to a difference in athletic level. He's neither as fast as what you saw from Tobias Palmer (undrafted, 2013). Crowder I feel is another camp guy.

*Palmer incidentally is a free agent. He was picked up by Jacksonville, missed the final cut to 53, got signed to their practice squad, then promoted to the active roster. And it wasn't until just last week that he was let go. I don't know why. He apparently got action week 4 vs Indy, no stats. But if you remember, Palmer had some monster returns for NC State last year and we currently need some help with the KR and PR dept. *

Ahhh...the 2014 draft.  I think it's safe to say the Skins will have a high 2nd round pick.  Hopefully, they can find a QUALITY safety.  Rambo SUCKS and who knows about Thomas.

He's played in two games: Week 1 vs. Eagles and Week 2 vs. Packers.

And in both games there were touchdowns and poor plays by nearly everyone in the secondary and/or the defense at large.

Vs the Packers:

Riley gave up a TD on pass to #18 Cobb, Merriweather slipped on the play, he was to have help overtop. Rambo was on single man coverage on the Wheel route. Fault Riley and Merri.

Orakpo gave up a TD to Finley.

Hall got beat by Nelson on a rounded-off slant. Riley failed to sink deep enough to take away the inside, Hall had outside shade. Had Riley sunk in depth he would have had a pick.

Rambo was late on his coverage of the outside receiver, Nelson, on a back shoulder pass, which resulted in a TD. Incidentally Rambo started in the middle of the field in Cover 1 and had to run to the sideline to get Nelson, as he was the outside receiver on the boundary. Whoever the CB was on the play didn't drop in coverage (Hall). Hall played the underneath route, didn't sink, who knows if Hall is somewhat culpable on the play or not. It was a designed coverage play. Rambo was meant to bail the middle of the field and get to the boundary. I really saw that as: "rookie versus the speed of the NFL," honestly.

Amerson gave up a huge pass play by biting on a double move (just as he did often in college). That lead to the Packers in our redzone in one hot second, they eventually scored on the drive.

Again, many people sucked that game vs Rogers. And if everyone was held accountable the same way Rambo was, half of the starters would be benched right now.

Personally I think either Haz or Rah scapegoated Rambo after week 2 in order to deflect heat. Someone should have been canned after that start we had, especially after the Packers game. Or, perhaps, words were said between all those guys and Rambo said something which set the coaches off, which lead to the benching. Because based on the tape, I didn't see an inordinate number of mistakes in the Packers game by BR. Maybe I need to review the Eagles tape, maybe missed something glaring.

*edit: In fact I've been re-watching the All-22 from the Eagles game and man what a horrible job our offense did. That was the game right there, our offense fumbling the first series, getting a safety shortly after that and then Griff with a pick. I mean we basically gave the ball over on our first 3 possessions and the Eagles got points. The O then turned it over again in the first series of the 2nd half.

In watching the first half, Rambo actually played pretty well. I saw a shoelace diving tackle on De Sean Jackson in the open field after Jackson got a pass and a free run in the middle of the field. I saw a couple tackles on #34 and McCoy coming up in run support. I saw him actually stop a TD on a Vick scramble, as Rambo found Celek who had broken off his route and was heading toward the endzone. If Rambo doesn't slide over to cover him Vick had him, instead Vick dumps it off somewhere else. I saw Vick get blasted by Rambo twice on scrambles, designed runs.

Uhm, the TD given up to DeSean Jackson in the first half, his route actually originated on Biggers side of the field. The safeties were in Cover 2 and Jackson actually circles around the back of the endzone behind Biggers, who inexplicably ran to the sideline as Jackson ran toward the interior of the field behind him. Now Hall stayed with Jackson but was obviously playing trail technique, aka: getting beat. Now if Rambo just straight sinks backward, he eventually would have sunk right into where Jackson ended up for the score. Yet there was a route which came into Rambo's zone. #14, whoever that is, ran a Deep Dig to Rambo's side and ... well, he covered that route.

So, I guess you can assign blame in part on the rookie, but Biggers and Hall (again) deserve blame on that TD as well. To repeat, this redzone sequences was set up by a Skins offensive turnover. The O did us dirty that first game of the season.

The other passing TD in the first half by Vick, to Celek, that was all Fletch and Riley, both totally whiffing on covering Celek. That's why he was wide-ass open. Now Rambo obviously tried to hit him with a shoulder shot rather than a form tackle, he just bounced off. At best he tackles Celek at the 5 yard line, saving a TD. At worst I blame him for not making a better tackle, but the TD is on Fletch and Riley for a coverage breakdown.*

Honestly, I do think he's gotten shafted by someone on the staff. There was plenty of blame to go around the first two games, much of which fell on other shoulders.

I mean he basically got shielded, blocked, on crackback a few times which took him out of a few plays, didn't result in any harm or big runs. He gave up the TD to Nelson on a fairly exotic coverage responsibility. It seemed like he saw the play but hesitated a bit, which made him late in coverage. Overall he made tackles and had some coverage plays. He certainly wasn't responsible for the majority of gaffes, nor the only player to suck or give up a TD.

I agree that Fred hasn't done anything this year he's barely played. But ask yourself why?

Do you think Fred has suddenly gone from being an integral part of the offense to not worthy of seeing the field?

Also, my point is that Reed needs to play better then Fred played last year to be an improvement. If Reed becomes an equal player to Fred Davis then all we've done is save money. The passing game is no better off with Reed then with Fred. I'm not saying Reed is a bad player at all I like Reed. But in terms of team building I don't think Reed is a good pick because I don't think he makes the team better then what we had before. Its kinda like digging a hole to fill a hole.

I think its clear as day that Fred is being phased out. He had a strong preseason and didn't suddenly forget how to play TE.

I'm a little worried about the outlook of ILB's since we desperately need some good coverage from our ILB's. Riley seems to be mediocre while Fletcher is just bad at coverage...

I don't really see any ILB's ranked in the Top 50 of all draft eligible players. Keenan Robinson showed ability but he's barely even sniffed the turf in 2 years and at this point seems to be a longshot to stay healthy...

Tariq Edwards has been playing pretty well for VTech this year after his injury, but that begs the question on avoiding taking players with recent injuries since we seem to not have any luck.

Is this just a really weak year for the ILB's?

Would we be better served trying to shore it up in FA? The FA class of ILB's looks pretty weak so far...

I agree that Fred hasn't done anything this year he's barely played. But ask yourself why?

Do you think Fred has suddenly gone from being an integral part of the offense to not worthy of seeing the field?

Also, my point is that Reed needs to play better then Fred played last year to be an improvement. If Reed becomes an equal player to Fred Davis then all we've done is save money. The passing game is no better off with Reed then with Fred. I'm not saying Reed is a bad player at all I like Reed. But in terms of team building I don't think Reed is a good pick because I don't think he makes the team better then what we had before. Its kinda like digging a hole to fill a hole.

I think its clear as day that Fred is being phased out. He had a strong preseason and didn't suddenly forget how to play TE.

I like Reed a lot more than I ever liked Davis, as in their college tape.  I was kind of always bewildered that Davis produced for us, and assumed a lot of it was due to him being the least bad receiver.  I think he's expendable and I like Reed going forward.  That said, sometimes it is best to work a year or two in advance of your needs.  Imo Jenkins was Orakpo's replacement as well.  Have to have that leverage in contract negotiations, and come next year we'll be glad we drafted those two instead of other options.  Though you're right, it may not have helped us immediately this year.

I'm a little worried about the outlook of ILB's since we desperately need some good coverage from our ILB's. Riley seems to be mediocre while Fletcher is just bad at coverage...

I don't really see any ILB's ranked in the Top 50 of all draft eligible players. Keenan Robinson showed ability but he's barely even sniffed the turf in 2 years and at this point seems to be a longshot to stay healthy...

Tariq Edwards has been playing pretty well for VTech this year after his injury, but that begs the question on avoiding taking players with recent injuries since we seem to not have any luck.

Would we be better served trying to shore it up in FA? The FA class of ILB's looks pretty weak so far...

I'm of the belief that you can move many college olb's into an ilb role fairly easily.  Someone like Van Noy or Shazier could easily move inside and they give you an ilb with a lot of tools.  I actually like either one of them in space, they're great athletes, though Van Noy isn't much of a thumper (Shazier can lay the wood though).  I wouldn't mind one of those to be the ss ilb while Riley is on the weakside.  Riley can't cover well but he's been a great blitzer for us.

And we need to upgrade the right side of our line badly.  I don't know about pulling a Chicago and getting two rookies to man the right side next year, but it's been bad.  Brandon Albert is a free agent and was a natural guard with great athleticism, perfect fit for the ZBS (I don't pay attention to KC so no idea how he's doing as a tackle, but they have Donald Stephenson as his backup so I think he hits FA).  Wade Smith, Jared Veldheer, Oher, Eric Winston, and Ryan Harris are all other guys I'd look in to.

Perryman and Christian Jones are good ILBs that could cover.

Reed's an upgrade over Davis IMO. He can make plays with the ball in his hands that Fred can't IMO. He's a more fluid athlete and I think he's got better upside than Davis. I think finding an upgrade over Davis is important. As good as he is, Davis is unreliable. His hands are unreliable and he's coming back from a terrible injury. The early returns on Reed look great and he seems like a potentially elite playmaking TE.

Reed's an upgrade over Davis IMO. He can make plays with the ball in his hands that Fred can't IMO. He's a more fluid athlete and I think he's got better upside than Davis. I think finding an upgrade over Davis is important. As good as he is, Davis is unreliable. His hands are unreliable and he's coming back from a terrible injury. The early returns on Reed look great and he seems like a potentially elite playmaking TE.

It was only a few weeks ago that you were not a fan of Reed, right?

It was only a few weeks ago that you were not a fan of Reed, right?

I was neither a fan nor a critic. I had no expectations for him. I was skeptical that a 3rd round pick with limited collegiate production could turn into a big time player. But he's shown some rare athleticism in the games this season. He's got a good ceiling and he's already making plays.

Reed may eventually prove to be an upgrade over Davis. But that isn't even the point I was making anyway. This isnt an issue of Reed vs Davis. Its about margin. Is the difference between them worth ineglecting another position? Possibly on Def? Or maybe OL?

Reed lets us cleanly move on from Davis, something that needed to be done IMO.

An update on a player discussed last year:

1.Brian Schwenke - ES post

2.Schwenke - 2013 Comprehensive post

Now starting Center, announced today.

source: http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/1706/switch-at-center-right-move-for-titans

But the next-biggest thing the Titans could do to spark an anemic offense and help to wake up a stalled run game is happening. Jim Wyatt of The Tennessean reports that fourth-round draft pick Brian Schwenke will replace Rob Turner as the team’s starting center.

I applaud the move, which I thought would arrive next week during the Titans' bye. Sooner is better than later. Schwenke is more physical than Turner and has far more upside.

Well, the guy I think of in my mind as the design archetype is Philip Wheeler. Just an outstanding interior LB who can cover and play run with some strong hits. He's the kind of 4-2-5 type, the 230 lbs to 240 lbs type of LB that I like. Weight can confuse people, Wheeler is lean. He's not bulky, he's not plodding, he plays quick. That's what I mean by "right size."

But, to be honest, who we need is Sean Lee. Neither are available, obviously.

I like guys who can fly.

I think you can transition Carl Bradford to stand-up, stack and shed LB. He plays mostly with his hand on the ground, as a 7-Tech DE for Arizona State. He's considered an OLB in size but plays most of the time with his hand on the ground in 3-point-stance. And I know folks want to traditionally transition a DE to Rush OLB for the 3-4, which we run right now, but I just look at his body size and he looks very similar in physique to Wheeler. He would be small for our current brand of rush OLBs.

6'1" - 240 lbs

L169_CIFR5b1aa59dc88ace05eb3ce5a5bde3d32

He occasionally lines up as an inside linebacker. There is tape out there.

Weight Room Vid

Squat: 605 x 3

Power Clean: 400

Bench: 385

Bradford moves like a rocket out there and I'd be very curious to see what he looked like as an interior LB. His speed and general "pants on fire" playing style is unmistakably noticeable. Bradford plays the “Devilbacker” position

blends elements of defensive end and an outside rush linebacker to form a potent defensive weapon.

Bradford speaking:" "

"From the defensive end aspect, we can either be in a 3-point stance, or in some defenses we're standing up on the edge. From a linebacker spot, I can be in any of the three positions. Right now, they like me playing in the middle, because I can go from anywhere."

I love the way Chris Borland plays the game. I've been making posts about Borland since the 2011 football season.

He's not an elite athlete. You can't help but wonder if he was a tick taller, longer and a bit faster - he'd be on everyone's priority list. And it's hard not to imagine that, since you see the flashes of great pursuit lines, blitzes which get to the QB, hardnose run stuffing in the hole ... but there's always a misstep, or a half second too late, or a lunge just a foot short. That's why folks have him in the mid-rounds, otherwise he shows fundamentals that exceed that range.

Nonetheless, I'd take him because he's got incredible instincts and work ethic.

All in all I'm not seeing a great class for ILBs materialize before my eyes. There's still a lot of watching I need to do, but so far, it seems pretty meh. I'm blasé.

As far as Free Agents go for 2014, it also seems pretty thin as well. I know Brandon Spikes is a FA.

fg74.png

There's a number of drawbacks to his style of play as well as his personality. So, I'm not pushing the proposition, but when you look at the class, there's something to be said about getting a solid pickup truck when all the other choices are Pintos.

Thing is Spikes is going to get a lot of playing time for the rest if this season because Jerod Mayo was just put on season ending IR today (believed to be a torn pectoral muscle). So we'll get to see if the blogisphere is right about critiquing his pass coverage skills and if he's another Merriweather head-shot goon.

Archived