Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Anyone know anything about Zeke Motta SS ? He is graded pretty high among those available.

From what I remember he's a less talented version of his former teammate Harrison Smith. Same build and athletic ability, great in run support not the best in coverage. Pretty much a pure SS/Special Teams ace.

I agree with the posters who say we've got a solid foundation and it's time to go for quality and upside over quantity and safety now. For one thing, no prospect is actually safe. For another, the biggest thing this team needs now is playmaking, impact talent. Guys who can turn negatives into positives, win their individual matchups regularly, push a unit that is solid into elite territory.

This is how I'd have graded the roster from last year.

QB: RG3 = A, Cousins = D, Grossman = F

RB: Morris = B, Royster = E, Helu = D

FB: Young = B

TE: Davis = B (But suffered a potential career ending injury), Paulsen = E, Paul = D

WR: Garcon = B, Moss = G, Morgan = C/E, Hankerson = D, Robinson = D

OT: Williams = A, Polumbus = F, Compton = D

OG: Lichtensteiger = C, Chester = C, Gettis = D, Hurt = F

OC: Montgomery = C, Lichtensteiger = D

Before this draft, we had a lot of "C" players with a few nice "D" players sitting at key places. We had a couple "B" players, mostly on offense, but only two "A" players. Our job is now to go out and find as many "A" and strong "B" players as we can with the limited team building resources we've got left.

I think drafting Amerson and Reed does that. I think Amerson is a potential "A" player given his physical attributes and playmaking talent. And I think Reed can be a solid "B" because of his special receiving ability. The defense was lacking that one elite guy to help make them a top unit and our goal on offense should be to surround RG3 with as many "B" to "A" level weapons to make us unguardable. Now he'll have one at RB, WR, and TE next season, though Reed might take a little while to develop.

Glad to see you posting in this thread more frequently lol. This is a great post btw regarding our goals and what we should be looking to do on offense and defense with the core players we have now . If Davis comes back to form we are going to a lot of quality weapons now with Reed around RG3 on offense next year that we didn't have.

Amerson has big play ability and can be an elite talent with the right coaching. I excited for both guys and can't wait to see how we add to the team today. I think Da'Rick Rogers can be another B talent with potential for a fringe A to add on offense too if we decide to go that way. Our locker room can get the kid into a good place.

I think there is a good chance that Da'rick Rogers is our 4th round pick. That could wind up being a value pick on the order of Brandon Marshall. Rogers has elite potential and I like his chances better on the skins with the talent we would have around him. With RGIII, Alfred Morris, Garcon and Trent Williams, we already have the foundation for an elite offense. I am crossing my fingers for Rogers or Shemarko.

We must still have faith in Helu to pass on A. Ellington. Morris will neen more spelling this yr. You can't expect him to do this year what he did last yr. I believe or FO believes they can coach

up Oline and WR so it wouldn't surprise me if we pass on those positions with our 4th. Would love to get a small school hulk like Roger Gaines, Luke Marquardt as udfas. Marcus Davis is

size/speed guy who maybe can be coached up too.

Rambo,Quesenberry,Patton,Swope,Hamilton,P.Thomas , Baktiari,Swenke,C.Washington,Chase Thomas,Jesse Williams, Duke Williams, J.Franklin, Okafor,DaRick,Ellington,Greene,B Jones ,Nassib, Scott, Poyer,Shamarko, Webb, Harper etc. still on the board

This is definitely a round where I wish we had 2-3 picks, so we could hit on 2 or 3 of:

Safeties: Phillip Thomas, Bacarri Rambo, and Duke Williams

Wide Receivers: Quinton Patton, Da'Rick Rogers, and Ryan Swope

Offensive Tackles: David Bakhtiari, David Quessenberry, and Xavier Nixon

All of those guys are very good value for the 4th round, and would also fill needs, and we're likely only going to be able to grab one of them, if that's even what the FO plans to do.

It kind of makes me wish we'd traded back in the 2nd and picked up an extra pick, but then I quickly remember that our Amerson pick was the 1st of SEVEN corners taken in 20 picks, so we needed to strike while the iron was hot.

I think we can drop OT a bit in terms of need with all the competition we added, and while I'd LOVE a WR, if Cobi Hamilton or Boyce are sitting there in the 5th, they would be solid value there as well. Safety makes the *most* sense in round 4, but we said that in round 3, so who knows what the FO has in mind.

Nice list. I'm not crazy about Barner because of his size, but I do think we have a need at RB behind Morris. Nixon is raw, and while I'd prefer other lineman in this draft, he'd have the upside to develop into something. Simon I don't know about from an intangible perspective, but it's a seventh rounder. Reddick is solid, not really spectacular. I personally like Nico Johnson over Reddick. I want to like Thomas more than I do because he made so many plays on the ball, but something has me lukewarm about him. TBH, he looks like he plays a little slow.

This is mine:

rd 4: Bacarri Rambo / Quinton Patton / DaRick Rogers / Brian Schwenke

rd 5s: Oday Aboushi / Barrett Jones / Tony Jefferson / Joseph Randle

rd 6: Cobi Hamilton / Connor Vernon / Denard Robinson

rd 7: Rod Sweeting / Robert Lester / Ricky Wagner

I'm jumping on the Schwenke bandwagon with Monk. The guy looks really good. A potential high end starter in a ZBS.

And I think it needs to be pointed out that there is shaping up to be a ton of value at QB in the final rounds...

steve,

What's your feelings on Duke Williams? Also I don't know much about Schwenke - what makes him a great ZBS fit? Lastly is there any decent LB talent left similar to the likes of Bobby Wagner from last year?

I agree with the posters who say we've got a solid foundation and it's time to go for quality and upside over quantity and safety now. For one thing, no prospect is actually safe. For another, the biggest thing this team needs now is playmaking, impact talent. Guys who can turn negatives into positives, win their individual matchups regularly, push a unit that is solid into elite territory.

If we are taking the long view of this, and looking for who has the greatest chance of being play making, impact talent, I'd be looking towards guys who fell because of medical concerns. Obviously the caveat is they have to check out as being OK for the long term.

Apparently, Jesse Williams slide because of concerns about his knee.

And but for a torn ACL, Quanterus Smith might have been one of the best rushers in this draft.

But the first guy that comes to mind when I think, long-term playmaker who is available due to injury is Lattimore.

Is Base something he can improve in the pro's?

I think so. I know generally speaking that we associate anchor with strength and base. I kind-of use base and anchor interchangeably sometimes. But I've found that flexibility, specifically joint flexibility or bend is really what helps base. The lower you get and more flexion you have to withstand blows, * while maintaining balance,* is what gives you that leverage, as opposed to just brute force.

Basically DQ gets jolted at the POA and knocked back. Strength training, lower body development, acute work on flexibility through stretch exercises, being limber, lowering his general leverage seems to be the applicable exercises.

Also I don't know much about Schwenke - what makes him a great ZBS fit?

He moves incredibly well. He very agile and that was reflected in his game tape as well as his measurables. Basically was able to get to the 2nd level with ease. He played guard up until his Senior year switching to center. He has to work on shotgun snaps. When you look at him he's stocky and stout, he's like a bulldog. And similarly to the kid from FSU a few years ago ... uhm Hudson, that's it ... he gets great leverage. He's always underneath the chin of his opponent and moving him around. But Schwenke has much better agility scores to Hudson (a 2nd rounder in 2011). He's actually really tough at the POA. It's my point I brought up with Quessenberry, Schwenke just absorbs the blows. He channels the force through his base to the ground (think electricity) and he anchors really well.

He moves incredibly well. He very agile and that was reflected in his game tape as well as his measurables. Basically was able to get to the 2nd level with ease. He played guard up until his Senior year switching to center. He has to work on shotgun snaps. When you look at him he's stocky and stout, he's like a bulldog. And similarly to the kid from FSU a few years ago ... uhm Hudson, that's it ... he gets great leverage. He's always underneath the chin of his opponent and moving him around. But Schwenke has much better agility scores to Hudson (a 2nd rounder in 2011). He's actually really tough at the POA. It's my point I brought up with Quessenberry, Schwenke just absorbs the blows. He channels the force through his base to the ground (think electricity) and he anchors really well.

Thanks! Just like Barrett Jones I feel like if we do go OL at all during the draft it'll probably be one of these guys that have played multiple OL positions b/c you know Shanny likes versatile linemen.

Watch Schwenke in these Isi Sofele cut-ups. Schwenke plays LG here, #57.

^ Watch how holes are opened up at the 2nd level by Schwenke and Sofele rattles off huge gains.

__

Brian Schwenke (C California) Senior Bowl

__

This is good tape as well:

Brian Schwenke vs Ohio State 2012

No one answered you Burg!

:ols:

Yea man, noon. I'm sure you found that out already though.

Yeah, definitely not feeling the love :ols:

Hopefully, they're at least clicking like crazy on the link to my radio show. I want to impress the new boss (if you're confused go to the tailgate. I host a science, tech, and health show that airs weekly in DC, NY, Miami, and Chicago)

Archived