Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jets Pull Geno Smith In 4Th Quarter, Put In Sanchez

Veretax

I think there is something fundamentally wrong with that organization. Geno looked pretty anemic the few plays I saw. He's a decent QB, but I don't think he has a cast around him. Sanchez will probably be out several games.

Geno is horrible, dude. Those picks he threw had nothing to do with his supporting cast.

The Jets just might have the worst collection of QBs of all time.

I just can't help thinking back to the days of rexbeck and other disasters we've had under center.  Now the shoe is on the other foot, and we are watching some other team deal with this issue.  My antipathy for the Ryans leaves me unable to muster much sympathy.

Must... avoid... schadenfreude...

I just can't help thinking back to the days of rexbeck and other disasters we've had under center.  Now the shoe is on the other foot, and we are watching some other team deal with this issue.  My antipathy for the Ryans leaves me unable to muster much sympathy.

Must... avoid... schadenfreude...

Saving Private Ramsey and 50 year old Mark Brunell... *shudders*

It's the overall job of the head coach to put his quarterbacks in the best possible position to win.

It's the overall job of the head coach to protect his players the best way he can during the preseason.

It's the overall job of the head coach to at least be responsible.

I am thinking this will be the last head coaching job Mr. Ryan has in the NFL.

It would be nice if we could trade Rex to the Jets for a draft pick, but I don't see the skins making the move or even the Jets considering it.

Absolutely no reason to put Sanchez behind that line in the last quarter of a meaningless game.  The GM should fire Ryan today!

Not like they were expected to compete for the division this year anyway.  Actually they should clean house and fire everybody. 

My first thought when I saw this was, Damn, did Zorn get a coaching job with the Jets? Because this is not professional grade.  You don't put in the QB that could start the season for you in the 4th quarter of the 3rd pre-season game.  This is the type of thing that Zorn or Spurrier would do.  

Which took me to a thought that was us for almost 2 decades, with a brief respite of the Marty year and GIbbs II, when the team was not a laughing stock. Norv's teams were just undisciplined and poorly coached.   Then he got fired, and Robisky was a joke.  Spurrier was comical.  And Zorn, calling back-to-back fake punts, the bingo-caller, etc. Vinny.  

We were a 3 ring circus.  Just like the Jets are now.  And now we can see what people were saying about us, from the other side.

I saw the presser too. That line "I wanted to win so we had Sanchez in" is what got me.

Yes, you would like to win every game you play, yes, the players play to win (insert Herm Edwards here). But then again, it's the meaningless preseason. You don't put a potential starter in the fourth quarter of the third preseason game because you want to win it. At that point, you should be about finding out about players than trying to win.

I think I would like to point out to Rex that he's an idiot for thinking that Sanchez, in the 4th quarter, with the backup OL, in a meaningless game, was probably not the right choice, even if they wanted to win the game.  Because Sanchez hasn't helped them much in the 4th quarter recently anyway. 

Rex is a good football coach, but he's a defensive guy. Their personnel is terrible though, particularly on offense.

He does look good though, lost a bit of weight.

When he gets fired, he's going to be on the market for about 3 seconds before somebody snatches him up as a DC.  

Pat white to the jets for a 2nd  :lol:

This is the ONLY team that would do that. :)

Absolutely no reason to put Sanchez behind that line in the last quarter of a meaningless game.  The GM should fire Ryan today!

Not like they were expected to compete for the division this year anyway.  Actually they should clean house and fire everybody. 

I believe Rex Ryan thought he saw an opportunity to make a statement that Sanchez should be the starter over Geno Smith.  It backfired when Sanchez got injured.

The GM and "committee" want Geno Smith to be the starting QB and Rex Ryan wants Sanchez.  When Smith played poorly with the first unit over 3 quarters, Ryan decided on the spur of the monment to put Sanchez in to make him look like a winner even playing with the 4th quarter "scrubeanies" and in stark comparison to the just completed performance of Smith. ... And Sanchez probably did play the best of any preseason game stint up to the point he got injured.

Of course Rex Ryan can't say he was trying to prove a point by putting in Sanchez, but that is exactly what he was trying to dlo.

I just realize that the biggest winner of this debacle is Sanchez.  I think he's secretly wishing that this injury would sit him out for the entire regular season.  He get to nurse his shoulder while getting pay a guaranteed 8 million salary.  He will not be with the Jets next season, nor will he find another starting job anywhere even if he was healthy, so this injury is in no way hurting his prospect employment.  He won't have to deal with the Jets fans whenever he made a bone-headed play, all the while enjoy the debacle on the sideline/his couch.

I honestly believe Sanchez is one of, if not, the luckiest NFL player in the last 10 years.

I just realize that the biggest winner of this debacle is Sanchez.  I think he's secretly wishing that this injury would sit him out for the entire regular season.  He get to nurse his shoulder while getting pay a guaranteed 8 million salary.  He will not be with the Jets next season, nor will he find another starting job anywhere even if he was healthy, so this injury is in no way hurting his prospect employment.  He won't have to deal with the Jets fans whenever he made a bone-headed play, all the while enjoy the debacle on the sideline/his couch.

I honestly believe Sanchez is one of, if not, the luckiest NFL player in the last 10 years.

Never saw it this way, but this is his way out. Lucky guy when you look at it half full. Though, i would be shocked if the competitor in him let him sit for too long. 

If I were a top 5 college prospect, I'd hate to think I might get drafted by that organization.  I'd rather be drafted by the Jags.

Also, lost in all this, was that Red Faced Billboard for Anger Management called Tom Coughlin, going for the freaking tie in a preseason game.  Really?  You just lost Stevie Brown for the year and you want the players to play an extra quarter?  I never wished injury on any player, but I would have laughed my ass off if another Giant went down in OT.  Andy Reid did the same thing against Pittsburgh. 

One of Coughlin's former players said he wanted to win every game.  Sounds like John Harbaugh too.  I think the announcer said (Ian Eagle?), " I guess Coughlin wants to evalutate more."  Really?  He just watched them for 59 minutes and 30 seconds and that wasn't enough?  Coughlin is an idiot.

Jets signed Brady Quinn.

Sanchez is still out.

The Jets used to be the lovable losers. Now they are just losers. And damn skippy, it's actually pretty fun to watch.

Tomorrow's Mike and Mike might be a little interesting. Greenberg has been pretty down on his team, but now they have Quinn, who was a Golic favorite. Granted, he'll never play, but ... could make some somewhat more interesting radio.

EDIT:Just heard thst Rex took the day off to see his son warm the bench for Clemson.

This is just getting ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived