Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jarvis Jenkins suspended first 4 games of season for testing positive for banned substance (Merged)

BobGriffin

go ahead and throw tomatoes at me ... but what do you expect. 

when was the last time a new york giant was banned for illegal substances

let's model their program

They've had FOUR since 2011 alone lol...

Actually, two since 2011..Hill...He did get hit twice; 2012 and this year. Brown won his appeal and was not suspended. Kennedy was not suspended either.

What about Tyler Sash?

Edit: and Kennedy was suspended, actually (had to look it up)...

i try to follow how this happens as much as anyone and maybe more...   1st time a player is caught, nothing is ever known...  2nd time, it becomes a 4-game suspension and only AFTER going through the appeals process...  if what Jarvis is saying is correct, i'm not sure how what he took (something not listed on the label) could be held against him...   with that said, it is what it is...   Carriker being out and now his backup (starter for most of last season) is gone till after the bye week....   This sucks for us...   I'm gonna guess Golsten will now have to fill in even though some here wanted him gone......  let's just hope we can hold the fort for a while in the 1st few games with what we have....

I believe it's only out on the second instance for illegal drug use, like marijuana. I believe when it comes to PED related substances, it's a suspension on the first go.

What about Tyler Sash?

Never heard of him but I love the name already.

Can he play DE or ILB?

Hail.

Safety ... 25 career tackles ... amazing that I missed such a stellar journeyman ... then again, he is a Giant so I guess those are pretty good numbers, eh?

Oh, yeah...Kennedy...4 tackles in 5 weeks prior to suspension...OK...

What about Tyler Sash?

Can he play DE or ILB?

Hail.

Safety ... 25 career tackles ... amazing that I missed such a stellar journeyman ... then again, he is a Giant so I guess those are pretty good numbers, eh?

rim-shot-.jpg

Hey, if Jordon Black counts against the Skins, Tyler Sash counts against the Giants.

I just want to know how taking a cold medicine can help a 300 pound man play better and give him an advantage?  Because I'm a 180lb man and when I have a cold and take Nyquil, I still feel like a pile of poop.  I have no energy, nothing. Personally, I think pro sports have gone WAY to far with the banned list.  If they all started looking like David Boston or Jose Canseco did, I can agree.  But I have to laugh at MLB linking Bartolo Colon, he of the 300 pound gut with dunlap disease, with "performance enhancing" drugs. Really?  Colon?

What about Tyler Sash?

Can he play DE or ILB?

Hail.

rim-shot-.jpg

Hey, if Jordon Black counts against the Skins, Tyler Sash counts against the Giants.

Lets see...Fred Davis, Trent Williams, Tanard Jackson, Cedric Griffin, Rob Jackson, Jarvis Jenkins, Phillip Buchanon and Black...

I am not saying these guys didn't deserve it but get real about who meant what to which team. And counting your buddy Hill for getting popped twice just shows he is about a burrito short of a combo.

By the way (and if this wasn't mentioned already), of the 8 players on the Skins that were suspended, 4 of them were suspended in their one and only season with the team, with one of them suspended for something they did on another team. That comes across more as Shanahan taking flyers on some guys who might be "questionable" because we needed experienced bodies while rebuilding than it does Shanahan fostering a "lax culture". Those 4 players more or less brought their own personal culture to the team, and didn't last long enough to have blame for any of their actions lay at the feet of Shanahan's team culture so far.

Two others smoked weed during the player lock-out...both said that not having that NFL drug program in place during the lockout allowed them easier avenues to their slip-ups, and both (so far) have lived up to their words of contrition. Hard to really blame whatever culture Shanahan's regime has fostered for what those two did, especially considering they weren't even allowed to interact with them during the lockout.

That leaves two players who you could realistically point to as some sort of evidence of Shanahan having a "lax culture" that starts to undermine the rest of his program. Whether or not two players is enough to reach conclusions like that, I dunno.

What about Tyler Sash?

Can he play DE or ILB?

Hail.

rim-shot-.jpg

Lets see...Fred Davis, Trent Williams, Tanard Jackson, Cedric Griffin, Rob Jackson, Jarvis Jenkins, Phillip Buchanon and Black...

I am not saying these guys didn't deserve it but get real about who meant what to which team. And counting your buddy Hill for getting popped twice just shows he is about a burrito short of a combo.

Read above lol...

I'm definitely with the "this is becoming a major issue" crowd. There's really no excuse, IMO, for THAT many people to fail pee tests in that time frame. I know the coaches can't babysit these guys, but when you have as many suspensions as we have, it doesn't at all seem unreasonable to me that the organization as a whole be required to lay down the law.

If that means the owner/GM/HC/etc get seriously involved whether it be mandatory meetings/classes or whatever, then so be it. If the adult athletes don't want to, or can't for whatever reason, be responsible enough to check before taking supplements (especially considering they should already know how serious an issue this is) then why shouldn't the HC get involved? And if the HC doesn't get involved, especially after this many suspensions, I see that as a pretty big red flag- like the parent who doesn't give a crap and continues to let their kid get away with murder.

The other issue I have is that these guys know what they're getting into when they sign. They know just because it's the off season they can't smoke weed because they just might fail a pee test. If they can't handle the rules and responsibility of playing in the NFL, mind you they play a game for a living, then maybe they should rethink their career choice.

I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for this crap, IMO, and people trying to justify the players actions and the lack of involvement from the higher ups are just making excuses. We'd be throwing any other team under the bus for this same crap or heckling their fans about it. To say we wouldn't is being dishonest. Why the double standard?

By the way (and if this wasn't mentioned already), of the 8 players on the Skins that were suspended, 4 of them were suspended in their one and only season with the team, with one of them suspended for something they did on another team. That comes across more as Shanahan taking flyers on some guys who might be "questionable" because we needed experienced bodies while rebuilding than it does Shanahan fostering a "lax culture". Those 4 players more or less brought their own personal culture to the team, and didn't last long enough to have blame for any of their actions lay at the feet of Shanahan's team culture so far.

Two others smoked weed during the player lock-out...both said that not having that NFL drug program in place during the lockout allowed them easier avenues to their slip-ups, and both (so far) have lived up to their words of contrition. Hard to really blame whatever culture Shanahan's regime has fostered for what those two did, especially considering they weren't even allowed to interact with them during the lockout.

That leaves two players who you could realistically point to as some sort of evidence of Shanahan having a "lax culture" that starts to undermine the rest of his program. Whether or not two players is enough to reach conclusions like that, I dunno.

What about Tyler Sash?

Can he play DE or ILB?

Hail.

rim-shot-.jpg

Read above lol...

Sorry...still getting used to the new format and can't always tell who the good guys are ...all apologies extended...  :blush:

Lets see....

NFL drills into players not to take ANY supplement not approved by the NFL.

A Redskins player CLAIMS oh wait I only bought a supplement at GNC.

People react.

Being a rule following general population kind of guy, I think I wouldn't drink vitamin water from GNC if it didn't have an approved NFL supplement tag on it.

It's not that difficult.

He screwed up and took something that someone recommended which he knew wasn't on the approved list.  Now he pays the piper.

I wouldn't be in GNC saying yo what you got????

I'm not surprised at the number of players in the NFL or sports period that use PED's to gain an advantage. With that said, until the penalty/risk, outweighs the money/what can be gained...this is what will happen, that and the fact chemistry/medicine will always be ahead of testing.   This is very disappointing though. A player that had so much praise heaped on him by the coaches and his peers before his injury. I was hoping he'd be back fully healthy and live up to, or at least come close to that early praise.    

I realize this may be contested, it's possible he really has no clue or wasn't knowingly doing wrong and could be acquitted. Idk. But for now, it sucks and screws up the depth chart, the reps in training camp/practice...down another starter or piece that was going to be counted on, etc.

Ok Mr. Baker, your time to shine. Hail!

edit: just wanted to add that I understand that while it wasn't a PED in the case of Jarvis and just over the counter stuff that has a banned substance in it, players still need to be smarter...anything you put in your body at that level you have to be absolutely sure of.  

Either the NFL isn't doing a good enough job in being clear, making sure each club has the proper information, and that each subsequent party in relation to coaches/dr/players etc. have access and a direct person/guideline that clearly shows what you can and can't use. or players aren't doing their due diligence. Mistakes happen..no one is perfect but it really shouldn't happen.  I don't like passes or excuses when it come to our team, but we totally trash other clubs for similar things.  Some may not be apples to apples but the end result is similar.

Our suspension list is kind of inflated

Fred Davis and Trent Williams were marijuana infractions not PEDs.

Tanard Jackson was a marijuana infraction from his stint in Tampa.

Jordan Black (even though he was hosed) Phillip Buchanon and Cedric Griffin all tested positive for PEDs and are all no longer with the organization.  So I could care less about their positive tests. lol

Rob Jackson and Jarvis Jenkins tested positive for PEDs and are still on the roster, there are absolutely ZERO excuse for those two especially because they are still on the roster.

I actually find this big scary number, 8, pretty circumstantial, it's still a small number.  8 out of hundreds of possible times among players?

As the highest in the league, sure, I think it could point to a problem, some laziness perhaps.  But I don't have a full understanding of that process.  Obviously there should be a fool-proof standard, perhaps there is, and perhaps it comes down simply to players not obeying it.

I'm sure the coaches are telling them everything they need to know.  I'm not going to be mad at Shannahan for not telling them "hard enough" or something.  If 4 more players, than average, are screwing up, I'm not freaking out that hard.  

What I like, is that nobody is acting like haynesworth about playing, or like, say...chris johnson about contracts.  In fact, it almost brings a damn tear to your eye how cool the players are being about everything, it's got to be the most loyal team in the league.  

So with that in mind, let's try to think of this big scary number 8 as a nice wake up call, go ahead and make noise about it.  The idea is that the players just tighten up, I don't know what else coaches are supposed to do about it. 

And, of course, there's also the possibility that the NFL or the pharmacists, or whoever could have some laziness of their own.

Option A: freak out and draw conclusions about the player and team

Option B: Wait and see what substance it was and whether or not judgement should be reserved or is warranted

Is it really freaking out to be upset that your team has lost two starters this year already for this? Is it freaking out to be upset that your team has had EIGHT players in the past three years fail drug tests?

Not to be upset, but it is when you declare the defense will suck now or that there is some major culture problem because of 8 over a 3 year span. It also looks like freaking out when you lump 2 of those in that were outright BS to try and make your argument look better. Black had a prescription approved by the NFL. That one shouldn't count for what you are claiming. Rob Jackson took a codein pill for toothache from dental work which he showed the NFL he had done just before the test. That is bad luck and yeah he shouldn't have taken it, but that is also not something one would reasonably claim is part of a bad culture problem.

Jenkins we don't know the full details yet. 

We haven't lost 2 starters this year to this. Jenkins is out for 4 games. Jackson isn't a starter this season, and again his suspension wasn't over a PED, it was dicey at best and not indicative of a culture problem.

As I said in the GHH overreaction thread, if you want to claim a bad culture, then look at Seattle with the adderall popping and their head coach's cheating history.

Let's not act like they are all the same. A couple of them were bogus, specifically Rob Jackson's and especially Jordan Black's. Including them in your rant and saying they are part of a culture problem is more of a sign of an overreaction than anything else.

Probably a good idea not to make threads when you are upset about something (in this case Jarvis Jenkins), and especially when not all of the facts are out.

For all we know the supplement was checked off by the team and/or the manufacturer did not have it listed in its ingredients.

Unless you want to look at the details of each player suspension on our team and see if indeed it is a culture thing or if it is more a problem that lays with the NFL's rules overall, then simply pointing a finger does nobody any good.

Suspensions are a league-wide problem. 2 wrongs don't make a right, but at least most of ours seem to be over discrepancies between the NFL's list and supplement ingredients, as opposed to a place like Seattle where they are all getting popper for Adderall w/o a subscription because Carroll has always had a cheater culture in his football programs.

We haven't even checked to see what the league average is, if it truly is a huge problem or par for the course, which would also indicate it is more of an NFL rule/policy problem.

Long story short: Let's get to the root of the problem instead of just taking a topic and attaching a chicken little/sky is falling title to the thread.

El, I'm usually in agreement with you but this time I'm not. First, the league average is like 1-2, with most teams having zero. The Seahags "only" have had 5 and I agree with you, Carroll is a cheater. So, if 5 is bad, 8 is worse. So, we're about 400% over the league average. If this was coming out of Dallas, we'd just chalk it up to Jerry running a drug ring. Even if a couple of the suspensions were questionable, we're still the league leader and way above the league average. There is no good excuse for this. Players ought to have a list of exactly what they can take, and to not even consider something not on the list. If almost every other team can manage to do it, why can't we? Are our players just much bigger knuckleheads that other teams? I doubt it. It's got to come from the top and it has to be hammered home, cheating will get you in trouble, and if you're not sure, don't risk it.

As I pointed out, I wouldn't even count Black and Jackson, especially not when claiming there is a problem with all of the suspensions. I also wouldn't count Trent or Fred Davis because theirs were for pot and they both stopped it and got their acts straight in the same culture, plus it's banned but not a PED but a recreational drug and a bunch of players got popped at that time because none of them thought there would be tests right when they got back from the lockout, it was something the NFL snuck in there (though Trent did have multiple ones and was a problem before but to his credit has matured greatly with us since). 

If you are counting Tanard Jackson, he had issues before coming here and we took a flier on him at minimal cost. 

Cedric, Buchanon are legit ones. Jenkins it looks like he made a dumb mistake, or there could be more there, no way to know. But that is 3 legitimate ones. The other 5, while collectively seem concerning, I would't say qualify as evidence that there is a serious problem at Redskins Park with players using PEDs. 2 were completely bogus and 2 weren't even PEDs, another was a players past catching up to him that we took a chance on knowing the risks.

Seattle's players all got popped around the same time for the same drug and it's one that helps with concentration which can help in the film room and on the field. That is an example I would consider to be indicative of a culture problem on a team, and probably one encouraged by its head coach. I don't see that kind of culture here.

I also don't see those freaking out about all this even conceding that Black and Jackson were bogus and that Davis and Trent got their acts straight in the same culture. Nor do they, as Califan pointed out, concede that others were depth signings the team had to settle for due to cap penalty BS and aren't even on the team anymore. 

Notice how all players say it was something not listed on the label.  If it is a suspension in my book they are guilty of knowingly taking something illegal because it is their 2d time getting caught.  If you inadvertently take something I m sure you will be overly cautious the next time. If you are not sure then ask the league especially after you have one strike

I think Shanny needs to have a team meeting on our drug problem,and tell the meat heads they will get caught if they are using something illegal.Let Cousins tell them how the drug tester showed up as his grandmothers last year to get a random sample. You never know when they will show up or where.   8 people in 2 years is ridiculous.

Archived