Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Joe Theismann replace Sam Huff

jwickersfo

By now many have read that Joe Theismann has announced he would consider taking over Sam Huff's Redskins radio spot. But will such an offer ever be presented to Joe? Unlikely, unless Joe's relationship with Sonny has thawed since Joe's playing career ended.

Check out this Pittsburgh Post-Gazette article from 1986, courtesy of Google.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1129&dat=19861028&id=ldhRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=T24DAAAAIBAJ&pg=5898,9565408

Guest Spearfeather

Theismann

What about you and Sonny?

Sonny and I never had much of a relationship, good or bad. Sonny was the best passer I’ve ever seen. I distinguish between passers and throwers. Throwers are guys who throw the ball hard; passers are guys who are just poetic. He could throw it down the field perfect, or he could throw it five yards perfect.

http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/people/joe-theismann-sounds-off/

I don't know. Having them go back and forth, could provide for some colorful commentary.

No one is going to replace Sam for this season. They already announced it will be Sonny and Larry in the booth and Doc Walker on the sideline. They may stick to that group until Sonny decides to hang it up. Frankly, I always thought Sam and Sonny would retire together because they are such close friends. Maybe Sonny wants a few more years to see if the Skins can make it to the Super Bowl. We may not see new people until Sonny retires.

Future names could include Joey T, Charles Mann, Ken Harvey, and maybe even Chris Cooley. I hope Randle El is NOT considered. I guess Brian Mitchell is always a possibility on loan from CSN as well as Trevor Matich.

I doubt it would be Joe, simply because the dynamic they've had is an offensive color expert and a defensive color expert.

given there's no defensive experts ready to step in, I doubt they'd go with a second QB.

Doc Walker, if anyone.

but wouldn't it be great if they stubbornly decided they HAD to have a defensive expert, and hired Dexter Manley?

~Bang

Yeah, I think they'd want to keep the balanced approach of offensive expert and defensive expert. Sonny won't be around that much longer, I think, so they'll probably sign people from the late 80's and early 90's.

I'd personally love to see either Joe B or Johnny Holiday take over for Larry and get Doc and Charles Mann up there or get BMitch and Dexter.

How entertaining would BMitch and Dexter be with Joe Benanati?  I would plug in every game from the stands...

EDIT:  and oh yeah... HELL no to Joey T.  I couldn't stand all the slober from he and Larry Michael in the same booth...

Anybody know if Darrell Green is any good in a booth? I sure think he's got the Redskin "cred".

Well right now his kid is on the Cowboys and I believe he lives in Texas.  Last time I saw him in person the Expos and Cards were playing an exhibition game at RFK.  He's not the most diplomatic guy in the history of this franchise either, I don't think he'd put the work in.

BMitch would.... he has his own radio show and is very entertaining.  Dexter would be the wild card... you'd have to have someone on the dump button.  You'd also need a veteran play by play guy who could handle both of them and I think Holiday would be decent but I'd really like JoeB... he calls games for the Caps though so I don't know how well that would work and he's VERY good there.  During the lockout this year he called games for Towson and was suprisingly good. 

But if you put Joey T and Larry Michael in a booth together, there'd be sooo much ass kissing it would be unbearable.  This might be the time to make the 100% turnover.

I hope Randle El is NOT considered. 

Yeah, he was terrible when they let him help on preseason games last year.  

And please, god, don't let Joey T. in the booth.  He was a great player for us but honestly, the guy is a tool.

Yes, the T in Joey T stands for tool. He's a horrible announcer. If they want Sonny to retire, just put Joe in the booth. After a couple games of his nonsense, Sonny will hang it up.

How do Son and Riggo get along? I don't recall any bad blood between them. In fact, didn't they use to do the 'Redskins Report' together with George Michael? Because Riggo would be an absolute hoot!A

As to Theisman .. I like Theisman as an announcer, but I would rather have Riggo.

How do Son and Riggo get along? I don't recall any bad blood between them. In fact, didn't they use to do the 'Redskins Report' together with George Michael? Because Riggo would be an absolute hoot!A

As to Theisman .. I like Theisman as an announcer, but I would rather have Riggo.

As someone stated the Huff retirement thread, Riggo and Snyder have bad blood fuel between them.

I dont think having two ex QBs in the booth would work personally. If you have to guys in there you want one to be a defensive player IMO like we had with Sonny and Sam.

I would wait until Sonny decides to retire and then bring in JoeyT personally. If they decide to replace Sam and I would wait for Sonny to retire as well - would not seem right having someone else alongside Sonny other than Sam.

They need a Defense guy to replace Sam. Joe T can replace Sonny. I think that was the format 1 offense and 1 defensive guy

Off hand I cant think of a defensive guy I would ike. As much as I dislike him I think Lavar might be a good broadcaster. I think he burned to many bridges when he left by calling Gibbs the worse coach ever. I know that is what I think when i see him

I believe Doc WAlker has turned into a fine announcer. I love his littleplay on words like when we played the giants a couple of years ago and our defense was run all over the place by the giants backs and their oline.  And Doc said we had been dump trucked and that still makes me laugh. 1. he knows the game of pro football and yet doesn't feel the need to suck the air out of the room by dominating the conversation. He also has in my humble opinion refined his craft to a degree where he would be both effective, funny and professional in the booth. And while he wouldn't try to dominate the air he wouldn't be a wall flower either.to me he is the most clear choice.I Like Bmitch but I wonder about his rawness, to me it would be fun and when Sonny puts down the mike he would be a good choice then but right now I believe its Rick "The DOC " Walker.imo, HTTR

As someone stated the Huff retirement thread, Riggo and Snyder have bad blood fuel between them.

Yeah, I'd love Riggo because of his honesty and his knowledge of the game... but I'm pretty sure he said something to the effect of "Snyder has a dark heart".

It could happen, but that's got the makings of a Jerry Jones - Jimmy Johnson relationship and we are only talking about color commentary here, lol.

Will he?  Not this year.  They're going with the three man lineup.  Should he?  Absolutely.  

Come on, Joey T actually said "I was very proud to play for the Washington Redskins and I did it to honor Native People in that regard."  Give me a break... is that the kind of guy you want in the booth?  Way too much homer for me.

Theismann would be perfect for the radio booth. I like the idea of him and Mann doing the color. They both know their stuff and are both big homers. Thats exactly what I want from my local guys.

I like Charles Mann (Laron Landry gawking aside, lol) he's got a smooth voice and he is very smart on the game.

Leave Sonny alone, he can chill w/ Larry until he's ready to hang up the headset. There's no need for another color commentator right now. Sonny and Larry did fine together last year w/ out Sam.

I want young blood in the booth when Sonny retires. Sonny and Sam were in their 40s when they took the job, Riggo and Theismann are in their mid 60s today. Riggo and Joey T. would never shut up if they shared the booth, and I doubt they'd do their homework before each game the way Sonny and Sam did in their radio prime.

Archived