Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will Joe Theismann replace Sam Huff

jwickersfo

No insult to any of the mentioned, but, for instance;

Bill Walsh;  great coach, similar to Gibbs, innovative, nice guy. But, when he did commentating,3

every 3rd word out of his mouth was 49er this, 49er that, 49er other. It seemed arrogance had

taken over, but it was the way he was.

Troy Aikman; yea, he has 3 rings,  but he reflects back on his playing time during comments, but

he doesn't seem like a 100% homeristic idiot.

Phil Simms; maybe he had too many hits to the head, but he's just as guilty as everyone else on

reflections.

Sterling Sharpe; god, don't get me started.

The thing with Joey T is no different, except he will call it like he sees it. I've heard him flat out criticize

his beloved Redskins on more than one instance; something I really haven't heard any of the above

do.  Mass hysteria has enveloped some into believing he is an airbag; the guy knows his stuff, he

doesn't rattle off nonsense for the sake of hearing himself talk, and it might be a case of envy to some.

If anything, ask yourself this; if you were given the opportunity to do color commentation with Joe, would

you turn the job down, because it was Joe?   I doubt it.

SIC

To be honest, as the Cowboys QB, I hated Troy Aikman. As a commentator, I think he's better than most. He knows what's going on &, in all reality, he doesn't reflect as much as others. For instance, I hate listening to Moose Johnston. He is not only a former player, but is so stuck on the Cowboys jock, his level of objectivity is almost non existent. When he's doing Cowboys games, he can't say enough about how good they are & when he does Redskins games, he does nothing but criticize our every move. But Aikman, not so much. He's pretty objective & is just as quick to criticize the Cowboys as he is anyone, which is refreshing, IMHO.

As for Theismann in the booth, I like him. He's a homer, which is ok for local radio, but he's also objective. He doesn't shy away from telling it like it is when it comes to the Redskins making boneheaded decisions or mistakes. Whether this ever actually happens will remain to be seen, but I doubt any changes will occur for at least a few more years.

I think it would be great to have Joe. I think he did a great job with ESPN years back. Not sure why people have any issues with him, everybody who has nothing but good things to say on a personal level with him.

After Sunny steps down, adding Charles Mann to the crew would make the perfect team.

I agree. I like Theisman in the booth. Is he pompous at times? Certainly. But he does his job in the booth well, and he did win us our first Super Bowl trophy in 1982.

No insult to any of the mentioned, but, for instance;

Bill Walsh;  great coach, similar to Gibbs, innovative, nice guy. But, when he did commentating,3

every 3rd word out of his mouth was 49er this, 49er that, 49er other. It seemed arrogance had

taken over, but it was the way he was.

Troy Aikman; yea, he has 3 rings,  but he reflects back on his playing time during comments, but

he doesn't seem like a 100% homeristic idiot.

Phil Simms; maybe he had too many hits to the head, but he's just as guilty as everyone else on

reflections.

Sterling Sharpe; god, don't get me started.

The thing with Joey T is no different, except he will call it like he sees it. I've heard him flat out criticize

his beloved Redskins on more than one instance; something I really haven't heard any of the above

do.  Mass hysteria has enveloped some into believing he is an airbag; the guy knows his stuff, he

doesn't rattle off nonsense for the sake of hearing himself talk, and it might be a case of envy to some.

If anything, ask yourself this; if you were given the opportunity to do color commentation with Joe, would

you turn the job down, because it was Joe?   I doubt it.

SIC

To be honest, as the Cowboys QB, I hated Troy Aikman. As a commentator, I think he's better than most. He knows what's going on &, in all reality, he doesn't reflect as much as others. For instance, I hate listening to Moose Johnston. He is not only a former player, but is so stuck on the Cowboys jock, his level of objectivity is almost non existent. When he's doing Cowboys games, he can't say enough about how good they are & when he does Redskins games, he does nothing but criticize our every move. But Aikman, not so much. He's pretty objective & is just as quick to criticize the Cowboys as he is anyone, which is refreshing, IMHO.

As for Theismann in the booth, I like him. He's a homer, which is ok for local radio, but he's also objective. He doesn't shy away from telling it like it is when it comes to the Redskins making boneheaded decisions or mistakes. Whether this ever actually happens will remain to be seen, but I doubt any changes will occur for at least a few more years.

I agree pretty much with this. I "kind of" like Aikman in the booth, although he is stilld ead to me as a former Cowboy. But I can stand him, as he is pretty fair.

I agree that Johnston is a prick that just won't shut up praising the Dallass Crackheads.

Joey T is a good redskin... But he's terrible in the booth. Terrible. Pointing out that he's smart and played a big role in skins history doesn't change this. The redskins need to break from the low quality broadcast homer squad. The Nats and Wizards have excellent proffessional radio guys, the redskins team is bad amateur hour made worse by adding Joey T which is one of the few announcers in all of sports I have had to mute on several occasions.

Joey T is a good redskin... But he's terrible in the booth. Terrible. Pointing out that he's smart and played a big role in skins history doesn't change this. The redskins need to break from the low quality broadcast homer squad. The Nats and Wizards have excellent proffessional radio guys, the redskins team is bad amateur hour made worse by adding Joey T which is one of the few announcers in all of sports I have had to mute on several occasions.

What exactly is wrong with them being homerish? I, for one, would rather listen to a couple of guys who love the Redskins & are constantly leaning in their favor vs. the National broadcasts who seemingly hate the Redskins & make no apologies for that. They do nothing but slobber over our opponents, regardless of who they are & talk about things that have little to nothing to do with the actual game regarding the other team. Listening to people bash the Redskins unmercifully makes me angry when I am trying to enjoy a game. Bring on the homers. I'll listen to them any day.

And that's a big reason why I'd like Joey T in the booth. Because he is a Homer. And I like his commentary. He's no worse than Joe Buck or Kenny Albert as far as commentary is concerned.

I agree pretty much with this. I "kind of" like Aikman in the booth, although he is stilld ead to me as a former Cowboy. But I can stand him, as he is pretty fair.

I agree that Johnston is a prick that just won't shut up praising the Dallass Crackheads.

Yeah, that whole crew blows chunks, but he is adamant about reflecting on his playing days. Every. Single. Week. I can't even stand his voice anymore. And then, as if he wasn't bad enough, they have to go Siragusa as their sideline reporter, who is essentially one crossed eye away from being Hillbilly Jim's cousin. Awful crew.

Yeah, that whole crew blows chunks, but he is adamant about reflecting on his playing days. Every. Single. Week. I can't even stand his voice anymore. And then, as if he wasn't bad enough, they have to go Siragusa as their sideline reporter, who is essentially one crossed eye away from being Hillbilly Jim's cousin. Awful crew.

Siragusa makes me wish that Howard Cosell was back in the booth. He's that insufferable and obnoxious.

What exactly is wrong with them being homerish? I, for one, would rather listen to a couple of guys who love the Redskins & are constantly leaning in their favor vs. the National broadcasts who seemingly hate the Redskins & make no apologies for that. They do nothing but slobber over our opponents, regardless of who they are & talk about things that have little to nothing to do with the actual game regarding the other team. Listening to people bash the Redskins unmercifully makes me angry when I am trying to enjoy a game. Bring on the homers. I'll listen to them any day.

And that's a big reason why I'd like Joey T in the booth. Because he is a Homer. And I like his commentary. He's no worse than Joe Buck or Kenny Albert as far as commentary is concerned.

There is a difference between favoring a team while having some real talent and the goof ball homer club the Redskins employ that sound like a sports spoof or an infomercial. When I listen the Wizards radio, or TV crew, there isn't that much difference between their skill level and the national guys. They clearly favor the home team but not to the point where you feel like they are going to start talking about giving you a second game free if you just pay separate shipping and handling.  Larry Michael talks redskins like the team is a super absorbent sham-wow that we really need to order in the next 5 minutes.  The rest of the guys are like normal joes with no radio talent.  Other than Doc Walker, of course, there is nothing normal about the way that man speaks. 

Joey T will bring a whole new level of bad because he's flat out annoying.  Him and Larry Michael together?!  I'm going to have to stream the game onto my phone when I'm not near a TV just to avoid subjecting myself to that. 

Around the league it's worse. NFL booths are shamelessly homer, and ours is among the mildest.

Listen to the Colts, in which every player is on a first name basis with every listener. "Andrew hands off to Donald, oh, great block by Sam, bless his heart! Donald moves to the outside, oh! there's Reggie leading the way for Donald down the sidelines!.."
In Minnesota it's the same thing. You'd honestly think AP ****s gold bricks and hands them out to the poor.

Do you know why Raider fans hold onto that idea from the 80s that they are victims of a league-wide conspiracy? because their radio guys feed it to them in every game. the raiders NEVER commit penalties if you listen to their booth. 

Merrill REESE for Pete's sake.

All of these guys in all of these booths are

A/ employees of the team, or

B/ local television sports guys like Frank Herzog was (he was a homer too..and it's partly why we all love him.), or

C/ ex-players of the team. Typically beloved ex-players.

the thing I find most annoying about Theismann is his affected "gosh-n'golly gee whiz' approach to his descriptions of what is going on. That isn't Joe, that's phony microphone Joe. I want to hear the Joe who was brash and would not hesitate to say the truth and be bold...  the guy who led our team.

the thing I likeD about Joe is when he first started doing games, he would talk about it from the standpoint that his listeners understood a little bit. Now he just does football for Idiots like most of them do.

~Bang

Well, I for one cannot stand former Cowgirl announcers like Aikman and Johnston when they do the broadcast of our games.....think their Cowgirl bias shows thru.  I like listening to Jurgy....also don't mind the homerism of LM. 

I like hearing the local broadcast team, they know the team better than National guys anyway.  I want the broadcasters to be Redskin fans/supporters......why not?  I want to hear criticism of the team when warranted.  I want to hear intelligent breakdown of good and bad plays....team effort....coaching....etc.  Heck, with any broadcasting team you are only going to get so much "brutal honesty" anyway, because the broadcast team likes their jobs and wants to keep them. 

Anyhow, I like both Doc Walker and Joe T.....granted Joe T does throw in a lot of self depreciation type comments that I find annoying as it does not come across as believable to me.  But he does know the game, and has played and won at the highest level.  Both are former Redskin players.  I have no problem with either (or both) in the booth.   Riggo would have been a fun choice as well, but as others have mentioned, think he has moved on.  Additionally, he stated that Snyder had a Black Heart a couple of years ago.....don't know if that divide has been bridged with the Shanny/Allen regime and Allen's re-emphasis on past Redskin greats at the park. 

Doc's the best ... he has the perfect balance of  homerism/realism/fanatic/analyst.  I would not mind Joe however, love'em. 

you know, this is way out of left field, but i always wanted david aldridge involved with the skins, I think he's awesome. I'm also a fan of David Dupree, not sure how they would translate on the booth or the sideline, especially the latter. 

All this whining about Joe Theismann and how people will turn off the radio if he joined the broadcast booth.  You'd turn it off if Theismann joined but you won't do it now with Larry Michael?  I've not been able to listen to him at all.  In fact, if Theismann joined, I might actually try to listen to the radio broadcast as opposed to the TV (national) commentators.

What I'd really like to know is what Snyder has against Frank Herzog and why Frank Herzog has never been in the equation since Snyder has been the owner.  What's the history behind that?

Well Doc Walker would be the logical choice, it would be smoother transition,

Theisman  and Sonny  would work but how would the Trio of Theisman Sonny And Larry Michaels  mesh.

Riggo wouldn't be considered ,Him and Snyder don't see eye to eye!!!

it might work better when sonny retires then Doc Joe and Larry might make a better team!!!

Archived