Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I had  no idea Markelle Fultz was from Upper Marlboro. It continues to amaze me how teams in this area fail so bad at recruiting in their own backyard

I don't think they fail, it's just nobody wants to stay around here.

You know I'm DC to death.. But had I kept playing football, I wanted to go to Texas.

Edited by MLSKINS
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I wonder why that is? Srs question not trying to be dick. 

Two reasons... Back in 05, I was big on the Longhorns. Don't really know why, I just liked them.

Also, I didn't want to stay around here back then. I just wanted to get away from everybody and everything.

So I can understand why local athletes want to dip. This area isn't that big on college sports anyway.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MLSKINS said:

So I can understand why local athletes want to dip. This area isn't that big on college sports anyway.

I can sort of agree. This aint Lubbock, TX or some other outpost where college sports reign supreme.

But the mid '00s Hoyas and earlier Terps/George Mason show what can happen when one team catches fire

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I can sort of agree. This aint Lubbock, TX or some other outpost where college sports reign supreme.

But the mid '00s Hoyas and earlier Terps/George Mason show what can happen when one team catches fire

Yeah... Other than the Redskins, DC is one "Bandwagoney" (If that's a word.) ass town. Look at the Wizards for example. When we were losing and stuff last year, nobody cared.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I wonder why that is? Srs question not trying to be dick. 

The big basketball power in this area is Maryland and nobody actually wants to go to Maryland. Its a fine educational institution but as a campus College Park is crap compared to your Chapel Hills, Bloomingtons, Lexingtons etc.

VA Tech is able to recruit in football because Blacksburg is awesome(I say that begrudgingly being a JMU alum).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I had  no idea Markelle Fultz was from Upper Marlboro. It continues to amaze me how teams in this area fail so bad at recruiting in their own backyard

I blame Gregg Williams. He set the standard that he wouldn't go above and beyond to recruit the best talent(which happens to be this area), and as a result, the top recruits don't even consider Maryland. And not much has changed. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

True, but I don't think Jimmy Butler pushes them past Cleveland. Not after what i saw last night

Definitely not.  I don't think getting Paul George would either.

TBH, there isn't any move they could make to compete with LeBron in his current window.  Their best bet at winning a championship is to rebuild around Fultz or Ball and hope they're the real deal.  And even if they did pan out big and they were able to put the secondary and tertiary pieces in place to properly support them, they wouldn't be a true contender for seven or eight years.

The Wizards hit the jackpot in the right year and got John Wall.  If we'd gotten the #1 pick in '08, '09, or '11 instead, we wouldn't be where we are right now.  Then we got lucky again two years later by staying in the top 3 and having Charlotte pass on Beal for MKG.  Then we got lucky yet again the year after that when we jumped from the 8th pick to the 3rd and were able to land Otto Porter.  So basically we got the perfect PG and then the perfect SG and SF to play with him in a span of four years, and it took a #1 and two #3s to do it.  And EVEN STILL, it took seven years before we finally saw the core look like it's supposed to and we're probably another two years or so away from true contention.  That's the kind of process that Boston is probably looking at if they want to build through the draft.

When you don't have that one transcendent guy to build around, then it's tough to build a contender.  Basically your only other option is to build a starting five full of All Stars and hope you catch lightning in a bottle one year.  If Boston could get Jimmy Butler + one more All Star caliber starter, then maybe that'd be enough to contend with since they already have Horford and Thomas.  But with Thomas coming up on a raise soon, I don't see how they get that fourth piece.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

I blame Gregg Williams. He set the standard that he wouldn't go above and beyond to recruit the best talent(which happens to be this area), and as a result, the top recruits don't even consider Maryland. And not much has changed. 

Gary Williams

• Like 2

Chicago was the weakest team in the playoff field.  Boston would be getting destroyed by Miami.

If Boston loses to Chicago, then I think it's safe to say there wasn't a single playoff team in the East they could have beaten.  Shows you how meaningless the regular season can be.  And the value of having a great coach.  Brad Stevens was probably worth 10-12 wins and that advantage disappears in the playoffs.

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Chicago was the weakest team in the playoff field.  Boston would be getting destroyed by Miami.

If Boston loses to Chicago, then I think it's safe to say there wasn't a single playoff team in the East they could have beaten.  Shows you how meaningless the regular season can be.  And the value of having a great coach.  Brad Stevens was probably worth 10-12 wins and that advantage disappears in the playoffs.

There are rumors that Phil might cut (edit, get rid of) Porzingis. If im Ainge im not sure I wouldn't trade IT and build around Fultz and Porzingis

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

There are rumors that Phil might cut (edit, get rid of) Porzingis. If im Ainge im not sure I wouldn't trade IT and build around Fultz and Porzingis

He would get run out of town in NY if he got rid of Porzingis. He's gonna deal Melo. Although I'm not sure any contender would want him. Dude is poison.

If I'm Boston I make a big push for someone like George this summer. Even if they get the #1 pick, there are no Lebrons this year, at best you get a John Wall type who won't really be great for at least three years or so.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

If true, then Phil Jackson needs to be run out of town on a rail.  I would absolutely do what you suggest.  Apparently there is no limit to the stupidity of their intradivision rivals.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Maybe, but Boston is probably the weakest #1 seed ever.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The big basketball power in this area is Maryland and nobody actually wants to go to Maryland. Its a fine educational institution but as a campus College Park is crap compared to your Chapel Hills, Bloomingtons, Lexingtons etc.

VA Tech is able to recruit in football because Blacksburg is awesome(I say that begrudgingly being a JMU alum).

Campus is not the problem. Campus is actually very nice. 

There is NOTHING to do in those other towns, been to 3 of the 4 you mentioned... Unless you want to go hiking or camping. 

Winning culture is not here, getting you to the NBA is not a focus ( nor should it be) , same goes for the football program at UMD. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He would get run out of town in NY if he got rid of Porzingis. He's gonna deal Melo. Although I'm not sure any contender would want him. Dude is poison.

If I'm Boston I make a big push for someone like George this summer. Even if they get the #1 pick, there are no Lebrons this year, at best you get a John Wall type who won't really be great for at least three years or so.

Heard it on one of those ESPN insider shows after he skipped the meeting with Phil. After everything thats happened in NYC this year i honestly wouldn't put it past him, especially if he thinks he can get something good in return

55 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Man! That would be a duo! And Phil Jackson would be an idiot to do such a thing. Porzingas is the man.

Game 2:  The Real MVP Strikes Back.

6 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

6 hours ago, MLSKINS said:

I don't think they fail, it's just nobody wants to stay around here.

You know I'm DC to death.. But had I kept playing football, I wanted to go to Texas.

I read an article about Fultz.  Kid didn't make the DeMatha varsity team as a soph but was killing it on the JV.  One of Washington's assistant coaches is from the DMV, (I think he went to DeMatha) and stopped by while he was home to watch some games.  Loved Fultz, called his head coach and said that he's got NBA potential.  Chatted him up, hit it off with his Mom, etc.  Fultz wasn't on anyone's radar at all.  

He went to some camps that summer and blew up. I think he put on a few inches if memory serves correctly.  Came back and killed it as a junior and a senior.  Junior year, recruiting letters started pouring in but he stayed loyal to the Washington people because they showed interest first.  Got a scholarship offer in his junior year from them, I believe.  

So that's how he ended up at a non-power house.  I'm not sure why others in this area haven't stayed local but that's what happened in this particular case.  

• Like 1