Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Larry Bird had some terrible games in the NBA finals, yet he is indelibly fixed in everyone's mind as Mr Super Clutch.

Would've fared better in 1985 if he hadn't gotten into a bar fight. Of course, getting into a bar fight in the middle of the Finals is crazy. If I need a 3 to win it at the buzzer, I'm taking Bird, one because he was an amazing shooter and two, because he wanted to take the last shot.

Clutch should maybe be replaced with confidence. I want a guy who will tell Xavier McDaniels where he is going to take game-winning 3's from before hitting them. That's really all you can ask from a guy is to want to take big shots. I mean even if a guy doesn't it still might go in but nevertheless.

Same with Paul Pierce. Like he is bored all game until it's crunch time and the margin for error is razor thin. It's incredible. Watching him this postseason, you just get wowed with his confidence late.

By the way, he is doing this in arguably the most competitive era the league has ever had.

What made this year so strange was how average the Cavs seemed (especially without Love) and how easy the path to the Finals was.

He's gotten some benefit from playing in the East, but it's not like Jordan's Bulls were going through murderer's row either. It was also the rock hurling Knicks or the Pacers with the most one dimensional great player in league history or.......was there anyone else even worth half a damn in the East then?

The East was not a juggernaut in the 90s but what Tim Duncan and the Spurs have done since 1999 in the West is far more impressive than LeBron's 5 straight Finals in the East while hopping teams to sign with other big players.

The West has been murderer's row since the early 2000s and the Spurs are in the Finals like every 2-3 years. Doing what the Blackhawks are in the NHL but for longer.

Would've fared better in 1985 if he hadn't gotten into a bar fight. Of course, getting into a bar fight in the middle of the Finals is crazy. If I need a 3 to win it at the buzzer, I'm taking Bird, one because he was an amazing shooter and two, because he wanted to take the last shot.

Clutch should maybe be replaced with confidence. I want a guy who will tell Xavier McDaniels where he is going to take game-winning 3's from before hitting them. That's really all you can ask from a guy is to want to take big shots. I mean even if a guy doesn't it still might go in but nevertheless.

Same with Paul Pierce. Like he is bored all game until it's crunch time and the margin for error is razor thin. It's incredible. Watching him this postseason, you just get wowed with his confidence late.

Isn't that what LeBron did last night (and is getting ripped for)?

And I'll take Curry for the last second three, because he wants the shot AND he can create the shot even when covered and is more likely to hit it in general than anyone else.  Or Dirk, because no one can get a hand on his 7 footer's fadeaway no matter what they do.

(if I'm sure it's a clean catch and shoot, I might take Robert Horry or Pierce or Reggie Miller, but you can never be sure of that).

The East was not a juggernaut in the 90s but what Tim Duncan and the Spurs have done since 1999 in the West is far more impressive than LeBron's 5 straight Finals in the East while hopping teams to sign with other big players.

The West has been murderer's row since the early 2000s and the Spurs are in the Finals like every 2-3 years. Doing what the Blackhawks are in the NHL but for longer.

Sure it's more impressive.   That Spurs team has several hall of famers, is always deep, and the best coach in the NBA.  That's the best dynasty in sports.  But Tim Duncan has never had to carry a team the way LeBron has.

Edited by Predicto
  • Like 1

Marc SteinVerified account
‏@ESPNSteinLine
Cavs just announced fractured knee cap for Kyrie Irving that will require surgery

thats horrible news all around. Not a Cavs fan at all, in fact I happily root against them at all occasions, but I don't want to see them go out like that

Edited by StillUnknown

Clutch exists but it's overstated. And Magic was not like LeBron because the gap between them defensively is huge. Granted LeBron has been an incredibly overrated defender post-2012. But then again, Kobe was his entire career and Jordan was after his first retirement.

C'mon, give your dad more credit than that. He was aight.

I know it may seem like I hated Kyrie, but I really don't. He doesn't deserve this imo. The basketball fan in me wanted to see he anger Steph go at it man. At least I got one game.

All that being said, is it time to throw the injury prone label on him? I can't remember a season where he didn't get injured. And I'm going all the way back to his year at Duke.

Isn't that what LeBron did last night (and is getting ripped for)?

And I'll take Curry for the last second three, because he wants the shot AND he can create the shot even when covered and is more likely to hit it in general than anyone else.  Or Dirk, because no one can get a hand on his 7 footer's fadeaway no matter what they do.

(if I'm sure it's a clean catch and shoot, I might take Robert Horry or Pierce or Reggie Miller, but you can never be sure of that).

Sure it's more impressive.   That Spurs team has several hall of famers, is always deep, and the best coach in the NBA.  That's the best dynasty in sports.  But Tim Duncan has never had to carry a team the way LeBron has.

He's also never had to play in as weak a conference as LeBron. He caught the Pistons as they got old, and nobody else has really been relevant except the Celtics for 4 years. Once they broke up, the path to the Finals has been a breeze. Again, when Atlanta can win 60, you know it's a joke conference.

Before you overreact, I said a couple years ago Bron was already top 10 ever and will finish top 5. So I'm not hating, just the truth, the East blows.

Edited by Sticksboi05
  • Like 1

A patellar fracture is a very serious injury, especially if there are multiple fractures and/or there is displacement. That's a shame, especially because it looked like he had gotten his legs back for the Finals. I don't know how long the rehab for the injury is, but I wouldn't be shocked if it goes into the beginning of next season. And he could have long term pain and loss of motion in that knee. But since there wasn't any ligament damage and his game is not really predicated on athleticism, I think he'll be alright in the long run.

Big Shot Rob is the man. 

I can't wait to watch Curry murder the hell outta Poor man's Hinrich for 3 straight games

But I feel for Kyrie. He gutted it out last night.

CLE sports curse >> DC sports curse

Uhh no. They got to the Finals. DC hasn't escaped round two since 1998. The Indians had been to the World Series 2x in the 90s by 1998. We have it the worst, period.

Me too.  It bothered me a couple of years ago when, after passing some sort of milestone, everybody talked about Kobe as if he were better than Magic.  When did Magic stop being considered one of the three or four best players ever?

When Magic said that Kobe was the greatest Laker of all time.

When Magic said that Kobe was the greatest Laker of all time.

Magic is actually a nice person. He doesn't feel the need to belittle his successors like MJ. But he doesn't really believe that. Steve Yzerman just came out and said Toews is better than he was. But the truth is he isn't.

Magic is actually a nice person. He doesn't feel the need to belittle his successors like MJ. But he doesn't really believe that. Steve Yzerman just came out and said Toews is better than he was. But the truth is he isn't.

I was just answering the question about when it started to happen.

By the way, Dan Lebatard has had a really good point.

We've spent the last week trying to make an argument how Lebron alone is enough to beat a historically great Warriors team.

And when he gets swept, we are going to absolutely kill Lebron for being 2-4 in the Finals. People are going to start arguing that not only is Jordan better but Kobe is better too because "Look at the rings!!!!"

I for one look forward to being the one person defending Lebron on these boards in about 8 days.

Don't really like being on your side but u won't be alone