Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I understand Minny wants maximum value, but they better be careful that teams start backing out because they are asking too much and then they'll get nothing.

They own one of the most valuable trade assets in the league though. There will be buyers up until the deadline. It's a big advantage to trade for Love because then you control his Bird Rights and get the extra year to offer in the summer.

I may be in the minority, but I'll go out on a limb and say that in 2 years porter will look more attractive than klay. Guy is money from mid range. Releases at the top of his jump with 7'+ wingspan. Has good bb iq. Plays good defense. Is terrific at moving off the ball. Isn't afraid to rebound with the big boys. And above all, knows when a bad shot is a bad shot.

Klay and curry have the green light to bomb it from anywhere on the court. They will never win that way. Klay is only as good as his shot says it is, which varies depending on which guy is guarding him. People were getting tired of that last season. It's why he is involved in trade talks.

( but yes, klay is currently without a doubt the better player.)

Edited by Skin'emAlive
  • Like 1

Why?

Now he wants to quit....dude knew EXACTLY what he was walking in to when he forced his way to LA.  As a matter of fact, he said that things had changed (culture wise for the Clippers).  It's a joke.  I don't want this guy put on a pedestal for making some type of moral stand when his charade is about as transparent as a fish bowl. 

They own one of the most valuable trade assets in the league though. There will be buyers up until the deadline. It's a big advantage to trade for Love because then you control his Bird Rights and get the extra year to offer in the summer.

True, but part of negotiations is giving a little to get a little. They seem to have dug their heels in (which I don't blame them as you want to get as much as you can) and aren't budging.

True, but part of negotiations is giving a little to get a little. They seem to have dug their heels in (which I don't blame them as you want to get as much as you can) and aren't budging.

Yeah they're not giving in right now. But I don't blame them, the offers they've supposedly been getting look pretty crappy.

Minny still has a pretty decent team. They can afford to wait until the deadline to trade Love because there is a chance they start off hot and Love's value will go up. Bottom line, he's good enough that someone will want to trade for him all the way up until the deadline. Might as well wait and see if you get an offer that's actually pretty good.

Getting something for Love is better than the nothing they'll get when he becomes a FA. Furthermore, no NBA FA would be caught dead in Minnesota if they aren't drafted or traded there. So they can kill any hope of building a team unless they stink for a long time and the owner likes to give hand jobs to the Commish to get Overall #1 picks over and over again. 

Yeah they're not giving in right now. But I don't blame them, the offers they've supposedly been getting look pretty crappy.

Minny still has a pretty decent team. They can afford to wait until the deadline to trade Love because there is a chance they start off hot and Love's value will go up. Bottom line, he's good enough that someone will want to trade for him all the way up until the deadline. Might as well wait and see if you get an offer that's actually pretty good.

There are major risks though as far as his value goes if they choose to wait. 1) If he gets injured they won't get anything. 2) If they get toward the trade deadline, maybe Love would then refuse to extend immediately regardless of which team trades from him and wants to be a FA. They wouldn't get a prospect like Wiggins in those scenarios.

• Like 1

There are major risks though as far as his value goes if they choose to wait. 1) If he gets injured they won't get anything. 2) If they get toward the trade deadline, maybe Love would then refuse to extend immediately regardless of which team trades from him and wants to be a FA. They wouldn't get a prospect like Wiggins in those scenarios.

The other things is if you believe in your scouting, you might be able to get a "discount" over a team that doesn't have as good scouting and that is less likely the more they see the player play.

If there is somebody on the Cavs that you think can/is better than the Cavs do currently that advantage is going to go away the more the Cavs see the player play.

If your scouts tell you that Wiggins is going to be a top 5 player and they are right, if the Cavs have not currently come to the same conclusion (i.e. they are wrong about how good he is going to be), as they see him play, they are more likely to come to the right assessment.

And if the Cavs come out and play well with Wiggins, he might come off the table.

Edited by PeterMP

I may be in the minority, but I'll go out on a limb and say that in 2 years porter will look more attractive than klay. Guy is money from mid range. Releases at the top of his jump with 7'+ wingspan. Has good bb iq. Plays good defense. Is terrific at moving off the ball. Isn't afraid to rebound with the big boys. And above all, knows when a bad shot is a bad shot.

Klay and curry have the green light to bomb it from anywhere on the court. They will never win that way. Klay is only as good as his shot says it is, which varies depending on which guy is guarding him. People were getting tired of that last season. It's why he is involved in trade talks.

( but yes, klay is currently without a doubt the better player.)

No he's (Klay) involved in trade talks because he's the most available trade option the Warriors have that the Timberwolves want.

Edit: I haven't followed the Love trade discussions here lately. But, is it just me, or does it seem like the Bulls are only involved, so that they can drive up the cost it would take the Cavs to land Love? Because I really don't see any way the Bulls land Love. Especially with Gasol there now.

Edited by Bubble Screen

Kevin Love is an sure thing. He's a top 10 player in this league and Wiggins is a mystery. You do this deal every time.

What if Wiggins transforms into a top 10 player? I mean it wouldn't be crazy to think the #1 pick could be a superstar.

Sure, but how long would that take?  Lebron is turning 30 in December.  Would Lebron be out of his prime by the time Wiggins develops enough to be comparable impact-wise to Love?

Good question. But I liked Simmons' point that Love is still going to be available at the deadline (or at least he believes so). Why not take the 1st half of the season if you're Cleveland and see how LeBron and Wiggins play together. What if Bennett improves? Maybe Bennett, Waiters and a 1st would be enough then and you wouldn't have to include Wiggins?

There's alot of what-ifs with this trade. I just think if the Cavs are patient, they can make out in this deal. Plus, would the Wolves deal Love if they know they can get Wiggins from Cleveland?

Where does Love fit in for the Bulls? Gasol and Noah 4 5....

Can a basketball wise person fill me in?

Current theory (before these Love rumors) was that Gasol would back up Noah at C, and get occasional time as a 2nd/3rd string PF.

If Love was on the Bulls, the same thing would happen, although he'd probably get an even split between PF and C.

The other thing is basketball is about match ups.

A Gasol, Noah, Love line up might have issues matching up, but teams would have issues matching up with them.

I could see that being a very effective line up against units without an offensive minded 3 (especially a unit w/o a good perimeter shooting 3).

Where does Love fit in for the Bulls? Gasol and Noah 4 5....

Can a basketball wise person fill me in?

Love would start at PF and Noah at C. Gasol is probably the third big no matter what at this point in his career. Taj Gibson will start over him this season. Gasol can probably only play about 25 quality minutes a night.

No he's (Klay) involved in trade talks because he's the most available trade option the Warriors have that the Timberwolves want.

Edit: I haven't followed the Love trade discussions here lately. But, is it just me, or does it seem like the Bulls are only involved, so that they can drive up the cost it would take the Cavs to land Love? Because I really don't see any way the Bulls land Love. Especially with Gasol there now.

I dunno... Watching him play that last month or more was brutal. Brick city. If it werent for Draymond Green (similar to Harrison Barnes the season before), the Dubs would have been demolished in the playoffs. Now it could have just been a loss of confidence. Its very common for jump shooters. But you can guarantee that when the games start to really matter you gotta have something else to fall back on rather than a jump shots and trips to the line. ( See Harden, J.R. Smith, Webster, Lillard, half of the Hawks roster... ) 

I agree. Love wont be going to Chicago. Also, Cleveland would be dumb in my opinion to give away Wiggins or Anthony Bennett already. They should build with what they have ( which is pretty damn good). Dellavadova is a great defensive point. An overachiever. Hes a great guy to have on the team. Waiters is a decent 6th man. Irving's prayers were answered a few weeks ago. And they have 2 no.1 picks learning behind the best basketball player on earth. I'd take that 9 times out of 10.

What if Wiggins transforms into a top 10 player? I mean it wouldn't be crazy to think the #1 pick could be a superstar.

Then in three years....when Lebron is in the last years of his prime....Wiggins will be as good as Kevin Love is right now.

Lebron is on what is essentially a one-year deal. It's unlikely that he would bolt Cleveland again. But if I'm Cleveland, I'm not screwing around waiting to find out.

Good question. But I liked Simmons' point that Love is still going to be available at the deadline (or at least he believes so). Why not take the 1st half of the season if you're Cleveland and see how LeBron and Wiggins play together.

Simmons thinks he is smarter than every GM in the league. Love may be available at the trade deadline. He may already be in San Francisco then.

And if you do get him at the trade deadline, you are radically re-configuring your team in freaking February. For a guy who takes about "The Secret" like he discovered nuclear fusion, it's kind of amazing that he thinks a team could radically re-work its lineup and chemistry and February with no ill effects. It took Lebron, Wade, and Bosh over a year to figure out how to play together. They were able to get to the Finals on pure talent their first year. I don't think this Cavs Big 3 is that talented even with Love.

(I think Lebron, Wade, and Bosh are transcendent talents. I don't think Lebron, Love and Irving work that way. However....from a basketball standpoint....Lebron, Love and Irving actually make more sense. At least on offense. The ability to both space the floor and run with those guys may be unprecedented).

And here is something else? What if Wiggins is shooting 39 percent in February? Does Minny even want him then? I think Wiggins is going to be great eventually. He will be on a ton of All-Defensive Teams, but no rookie is good at defense - especially on the perimeter. His jumper will probably be okay but it's shaky now. And nearly every rookie starts to fall apart around Game 65.

If I am Cleveland, I want to be in the Finals THIS year. I don't care what Lebron's letter said - the goal is to win immediately. With Love, the Cavs are a heavy favorite to win the East. Without him....eh....it's pretty open.