Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

I don't know the average age of the posters on this thread, but a lot of you seem to be talking about mythical creatures when you discuss Magic, Bird, and Jordan. I was actually arguing about them at a 7th grade lunch table.

I think everyone knows that every great player needs help and had their share of mediocre games.  Every superstar gets unfair treatment like Bron gets.  MJ before he won, Magic in 84 when he lost to Bird etc.  Being in the social media era has put him under an extra magnifying glass though.  Kobe was trashed after Shaq left until 2009. 

I'm saying it right now though, had he never done The Decision and mouthed off not 4 not 5 not 6...the flack he's getting from fans would not be nearly as bad, that debacle left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths.  Should they get over it?  Yes, it was 4 years ago and it's not like he got in  trouble with the cops, but it is what it is, a lot of people were turned off from that point on.  Before you jump on me, I am not saying it is fair, I'm saying that's what it is.

What it comes down to is this series is not really about LeBron, it is that the Spurs are just a better team top to bottom and are executing at an A+ level even off their bench.  I mean outside of LeBron has anyone on the Heat been better than even Patty Mills has this series?  Seriously.

If Wade is going to look as pathetic as he did last night what can LeBron do really?  If Wade's a non-factor Miami is screwed, especially against a team that is a well-oiled machine.

• Like 2

By who? Nobody in the media except Skip Bayless does anything but kiss his ass. The media is totally invested in LeBron.

Have you looked at Twitter recently?

I think everyone knows that every great player needs help and had their share of mediocre games.  Every superstar gets unfair treatment like Bron gets.  MJ before he won, Magic in 84 when he lost to Bird etc.  Being in the social media era has put him under an extra magnifying glass though.  Kobe was trashed after Shaq left until 2009. 

Kobe was trashed, but there is an army of Kobe Defenders out there who are actually somewhat scary. If you say anything negative about Kobe online, a horde of defenders show up to threaten your life.

Have you looked at Twitter recently?

Kobe was trashed, but there is an army of Kobe Defenders out there who are actually somewhat scary. If you say anything negative about Kobe online, a horde of defenders show up to threaten your life.

This is 100% truth.  I've encountered a few in real life too, in Boston no less. 

Question for the group: If Boris Diaw showed up at your Rec League and you didn't realize who he was, who would you think he was?

I would guess a sales guy for business supply company. He almost certainly played some D-1 ball somewhere and was probably good enough to parlay that into a $100K a year job with an alum.

His height kind of ruins it, but I've played games at the Y against 6'4 and 6'5 dudes who clearly played somewhere. With Diaw, I would have guessed something like two-year starter at U of H in the early 2000s.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

There is a Boris Diaw in my local community. Well he's 6'2 but my god can he handle the ball and pass. It's scary watching him attack the rim because he's huge but really agile.

Diaw wasn't this fat always. Remember when Amare went down long while back in PHX and Diaw came out of no where and completely changed the dynamics of that Suns team. Way too skilled for a big man.

Bird averaged 15/15/7 in the 81 Finals, not 22/14.

Touche! That'll teach me not to double check my sources!

I was absolutely wrong there and was my mistake, was misreading the numbers.

I'd still suggest that no...a SECOND YEAR PLAYER who wasn't considered the best on the planet at the time or being talked about as a GOAT with an average finals would not be getting the same kind of crap a Eleven Year player who is talked about in that fashion.

But I absolutely got those numbers wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

There is a Boris Diaw in my local community. Well he's 6'2 but my god can he handle the ball and pass. It's scary watching him attack the rim because he's huge but really agile.

Diaw wasn't this fat always. Remember when Amare went down long while back in PHX and Diaw came out of no where and completely changed the dynamics of that Suns team. Way too skilled for a big man.

Diaw is ridiculously talented.

I just love when they show his plays in slow motion because there is absolutely no muscle definition on him at any place. He has fat guy arms on top of everything else.

There was a great segment on the Le Batard Show this week when he asked if Boris Diaw was the best "fat passer" in sports history. He was think Jarden Lorenzon as competition. His sidekick came in with "Fat" Lever which was awesome. Le Batard's reaction was great "I thought I had the nuts and you turned over Fat Lever. I'm stunned."

Lebron has played in 4 straight Finals, has 4 MVPS, and 2 straight titles.

And he is being killed. Murdered.

And again, suggesting Larry Bird would be treated or should have been treated similarly in his FIRST THREE YEARS is ridiculous.

He's being killed because of the standard that, in large part, HE and his fans heaped upon him between the "not 1, not 2, not 3...." talk, the constant attempts to place him up as one of if not THE GOAT, the constant attempts to compare him and place him above Jordan, etc.

He and his fans don't get to constantly pump him up when the going is well as this transcendent, all time, otherwordly basketball god that is the greatest to ever play the game....and then expect him not to be held to that standard when he doesn't live up to that.

If you're asking me whether Larry Bird would've recieved the same "murdering" in year 3 that an eleven year vet, whose people are arguing is potentially the greatest of all time and are calling the greatest player on the planet, whose already lost two championships series (one of which with two additional hand picked superstars along for the ride) and is on the way to potentially losing another in a seris where his teams been blown out by nearly 20 points twice? No...no I don't think he'd be murdered in a similar way.

If you're asking me if I think that's unreasonable, I'd say no.

if you're asking me if I think it's unreasonable that LeBron's getting killed? To a certain degree, yes...depending greatly on HOW the killing is being done. If it's being done in a general sense as if he's doing badly or is a bad player, yes it's unreasonable. If it's being done in the notion that this is showing the conversation of him being better than Jordan and the GOAT need to end at least for the time being if not for quite a while, then yes I think it's reasonable.

Edited by ZRagone

The only difference there ever was between the Miami teams and the Cleveland teams Lebron played on was Wade. Now that Wade is looking pretty much washed up Lebron is pretty much back to where he was before 2010.

Naw it's more than Wade. I bet four players off of Miami's bench would be better than the team he led to the Finals in 2007.

Let's test that theory:

Cavs 2007

Lebron James

Sasha Pavlovic
Drew Gooden
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
Larry Hughes

Heat Bench w/Lebron

Lebron James

Ray Allen

Norris Cole

Rashard Lewis

Udonis Haslem

Yeah, give me the latter lol

Edited by MLSKINS

The only difference there ever was between the Miami teams and the Cleveland teams Lebron played on was Wade. Now that Wade is looking pretty much washed up Lebron is pretty much back to where he was before 2010.

So, is Chris Bosh, like, not visible to your eyes? You should probably have that looked at.

If you're asking me whether Larry Bird would've recieved the same "murdering" in year 3 that an eleven year vet, whose people are arguing is potentially the greatest of all time and are calling the greatest player on the planet, whose already lost two championships series (one of which with two additional hand picked superstars along for the ride) and is on the way to potentially losing another in a seris where his teams been blown out by nearly 20 points twice? No...no I don't think he'd be murdered in a similar way.

Magic was murdered somewhat like this after '84. It was stupid.

• Like 1

What it comes down to is this series is not really about LeBron, it is that the Spurs are just a better team top to bottom and are executing at an A+ level even off their bench.  I mean outside of LeBron has anyone on the Heat been better than even Patty Mills has this series?  Seriously.

If Wade is going to look as pathetic as he did last night what can LeBron do really?  If Wade's a non-factor Miami is screwed, especially against a team that is a well-oiled machine.

This is still giving LeBron a pass for what he's doing this series. LeBron had a dominant game and powered Miami to a win in game 2. But aside from that, he hasn't played well and he's either been invisible or highly visible in a bad way (cramp game). And Miami looks rudderless, which is the most troubling thing of all. Wade should get killed. He's one of Miami's leaders. But LeBron is their leader and he's just going through the motions. He's THE GUY for Miami. And he is simply not doing a good job leading them this series. That's one of Miami's biggest problems.

LeBron gets killed by joe blow fans for his lack of leadership and his tendency to disappear in important games because it keeps happening. How many times does he have to demonstrate that he isn't the competitor that former greats were before we get to acknowledge it?

• Like 1

Magic was murdered somewhat like this after '84. It was stupid.

it wasnt evens somewhat. Tragic Johnson is one of the all time troll nicknames, lol

Spurs are just the better team. Glad they'll win another title. They deserve it.

Lebron is the only superstar that needs a bunch of other superstars to win a title.

why do people type this crap?

Spurs are just the better team. Glad they'll win another title. They deserve it.

Lebron is the only superstar that needs a bunch of other superstars to win a title.

Magic did it with only the greatest scorer in NBA history and one other Hall of Famer.

In other words, he did it on his own.

LeBron gets killed by joe blow fans for his lack of leadership and his tendency to disappear in important games because it keeps happening. How many times does he have to demonstrate that he isn't the competitor that former greats were before we get to acknowledge it?

When it actually happens?

He's had two bad series in his career. 2010 versus Boston. 2011 versus Dallas. And this one may end up being subpar when all is said and done.

That puts him in the same company as everybody ever.

I want you go to series by series in Magic, Bird, and Jordan's career and explain to me how they were flawless in all of them. Because that is what you are implying - one bad series is an indication of mental weakness.

it wasnt evens somewhat. Tragic Johnson is one of the all time troll nicknames, lol

Johnny Most is the all time troll. He called Magic Johnson "Cry" for his entire career - short for Crybaby.

He also called Isiah Little Lord Fauntleroy.

• Like 1

Wait, What? You realize that when the Bulls drafted Jordan, they had...nothing. His teams struggled for years to get past the Pistons. You say you loved watching Bird and Magic, yet the both teams had HOF players at every position and probably on the bench while Bird and Magic played with them. Plus, the Celtics robbed the Warriors for Parrish and the Lakers drafted Magic because they owned the Jazz pick and then won a coin flip with Chicago. They weren't even a bad enough a team to be able to pick that high. And you say Jordan had the best coach of all time, but are Pat Riley and KC Jones slouches? Come on man. Jordan had to earn his way past the Pistons. There was no one in the west to challenge the Lakers for a long time and you can say Bird was fortunate to have been drafted by the Celtics with only the 76ers as any legitimate competition until Jordan's Bulls got better in the late 80s. Magic was fortunate to be drafted by the Lakers with guys like Kareem and such. I mean, let's give Jordan a little more credit here.

Jordan had to wait for the Pistons to get old, Bird was of good fortunate of having drafted by a team who gave him talent via trades.

I don't have an issue giving Jordan some credit, everyone does and more than enough IMO. But given the circumstances surrounding James and Jordan, if they were to have traded places James would have done more. Jordan would have done less.

I don't think off of this series that the Heat are not one of the top few teams in the NBA.  I'm not buying this they are the 4th or 5th best team in the NBA stuff.

I think the way that Spurs play offense (dribble, pass, dribble, pass, dribble, pass, shoot (where so many people can take the shot)) is particularly problematic for the way the Heat play defense.

I'm not saying the Heat would absolutely beat the Thunder, but I don't think they'd be getting blown out the way they are against the Spurs.

Jordan had to wait for the Pistons to get old, Bird was of good fortunate of having drafted by a team who gave him talent via trades.

I don't have an issue giving Jordan some credit, everyone does and more than enough IMO. But given the circumstances surrounding James and Jordan, if they were to have traded places James would have done more. Jordan would have done less.

I never mentioned James. I kind of guessed you'd do that. I was talking about how you admired Bird and Magic and discredited Jordan, when their situations were actually better than what he went to. I'm not talking about LeBron. FWIW, I haven't been on his case for these finals. It's like 1 on 5 out there. While he hasn't played great, he's played good.