Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Why wouldn't the Pelicans want a young "star" player to be down in New Orleans since their current superstar wants out?

The Sixers would need to throw in more salaries to make it up, but I don't know why New Orleans turns that down for whatever trash the Lakers or Celtics would offer?

3 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

He's the best basketball player I've ever seen, but he's probably in the 5-8 range right now (I'd put Harden at 4.) 

Pierce is right, are we having this discussion because LeBron is at home right now?

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Why wouldn't the Pelicans want a young "star" player to be down in New Orleans since their current superstar wants out?

The Sixers would need to throw in more salaries to make it up, but I don't know why New Orleans turns that down for whatever trash the Lakers or Celtics would offer?

Sixers have cap space so they could do it but they would potentially have two big men and no guards. Butler can/will opt out. Harris would be gone. Could resign JJ but have no point guard and they traded all their depth. 

Aside from that, they would be building around two guys that can’t stay healthy. 

Ben Simmons isn’t enough to get it done when they could get players and a high pick from LA

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Pierce is right, are we having this discussion because LeBron is at home right now?

You see anything from Lebron this year to suggest he's still in the top-3?  At some point he was bound to show decline...this year was the start of it.  Just goes to show his greatness that a slide for him is not being in the top-3 discussion to top now being in the top 5/8. 

And Paul Pierce is never right.  *Draymond Green Voice* They don't love you like that

1 hour ago, RonArtest15 said:

You see anything from Lebron this year to suggest he's still in the top-3?  At some point he was bound to show decline...this year was the start of it.  Just goes to show his greatness that a slide for him is not being in the top-3 discussion to top now being in the top 5/8. 

And Paul Pierce is never right.  *Draymond Green Voice* They don't love you like that

Nonsense, he was stuck on that square Laker team with no other stars which didn't stand a snowballs chance in hell in the west.  That works in the east, conversation would get quiet if he was on a playoff team still doing his usual 30 point triple double that people take for granted.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Nonsense, he was stuck on that square Laker team with no other stars which didn't stand a snowballs chance in hell in the west.  That works in the east, conversation would get quiet if he was on a playoff team still doing his usual 30 point triple double that people take for granted.

I've generally been pro-Lebron, but his defense has been slipping the last few years, and this year it was dreadful.  He couldn't guard people that aren't even good offensive players.  Now, maybe it wasn't physical, but was mental (i.e. he mentally checked out), but either way it was bad. 

vs. somebody like Kawhai carries the offensive load and regularly gets matched up against one of the other team's best offensive player and plays really good defense.

Just where they were this year, there's no comparison between the likes of Leonard and Lebron.  Lebron's been carrying teams more and longer (making repeated finals) than essentially anybody I can think of (even Jordan got a break by playing baseball)  so maybe he needed to check out this year, and he'll bounce back next year (especially if they can add another super star).  But based on the way he actually played this year, he's not one of the top 3 players in the NBA.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

He's the best basketball player I've ever seen, but he's probably in the 5-8 range right now (I'd put Harden at 4.) 

dude lebron is t op 3 in the nba

not his fault he has a bad team around him

23 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

dude lebron is t op 3 in the nba

not his fault he has a bad team around him

You’re not taking THIS version of Lebron over Giannis, KD, or Kawhi. I’m a huge Lebron fan, but there’s not a chance in hell I’m doing it. 

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

He was stuck?  He CHOSE this lakers team lol. You wrote an entire excuse haha. He puts up numbers, but look at what Giannis and Kawhi are doing. Their impact both in the win/loss column and statistically is exactly what Lebron was doing on some of those goofy roster Cavs teams when he was in his 20s. Lebron is 100% not that player today, but he’s still one of the 5-8 best players in the league. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PeterMP said:

But based on the way he actually played this year, he's not one of the top 3 players in the NBA.

I've rarely been impressed by LeBrons defense, but I think I was more struck by the idea of him being 5th to 8th.  He was 27.7 ppg, which is tied for 3rd in nba, plus 8apg and 8rpg.  Dude has just spoiled us it feels like, second he's all in again or if he was in the playoffs, wed be factoring in his second season with regular season in this convo.  I'd rather have LeBron them Harden, but thats more personal then statistical.

6 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

He was stuck?  He CHOSE this lakers team lol. You wrote an entire excuse haha. He puts up numbers, but look at what Giannis and Kawhi are doing. Their impact both in the win/loss column and statistically is exactly what Lebron was doing on some of those goofy roster Cavs teams when he was in his 20s. Lebron is 100% not that player today, but he’s still one of the 5-8 best players in the league. 

Giannis and Kawhi are on teams that if you plugged Lebron in to would be in the same position they are in right now.  You are downgrading him for not being able to save a sh**ty Lakers team like Giannis or Kawhi could. That's illogical.

Edited by Renegade7

Also, I agree that Kawhi and Durant are probably 2 and 3 over Harden because of their excellence on defense.  Harden is the league's best offensive player though.  That puts LeBron at #5 then right?  Davis and Curry are six and seven.  Then it's probably Westbrook and Lillard.  Then Embiid, Paul George, Jokic, Karl Anthony Towns, and Gobert are the next tier.

Harden is the most overrated player in the NBA. He gets away with more push offs and travels than any other player in the league. He whines constantly, plays almost no defense and has come up small in the playoffs. No way he’s top-5 come playoff time 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Harden is the most overrated player in the NBA. He gets away with more push offs and travels than any other player in the league. He whines constantly, plays almost no defense and has come up small in the playoffs. No way he’s top-5 come playoff time 

I can't stand his act, I don't like the way he plays either, but he's the most dominant offensive player in the league now.  40% usage with a 118 ORtg is unbelievable.  Nobody even comes close to carrying the load he does, and doing it with such efficiency.  He is such a valuable offensive player that it offsets his lack of positive defensive impact.  He carries his team to great records and how many truly dominant playoff performers do we have right now?  Like three?  it still means something to carry your team to 50 and 60 win regular season records.

I honestly think a lot of Harden's postseason struggles come from the lack of a mid-range element to Houston's offense.

1.  Knowing nothing else about the rest of the team, I'd take probably take Leonard and Durant over Giannis.  I think their shooting makes them more valuable more broadly.  The Bucks have done a great job of building around Giannis, but I think if it was I'm going to surround this guy with some number of random players in more cases teams would be better with Leonard or Durant.  Giannis is perfect for the Bucks.  I don't think he affects other teams to the same degree.  Are the Clippers better if you give them Giannis, Durant, or Leonard?  Clippers have 2 guys that got big minutes (Zubac and Harrell) that are issues if you put them on the floor with Giannis.

2.  You can complain about how Harden plays and the legality of it, but the fact of the matter is he's done what he does for multiple years.  At some time, you have to get away from it must be illegal and judge him based on the numbers he puts up.  And really simply, his numbers indicate he's one of the best players in the league.  I'm not sure if I'd put him 4, but he has to be darn close.

The comparable thing is me saying Shaq, in his prime, isn't one of the best players in the league because his best offensive play was an offensive foul because he used his shoulder to move the defender.  Based on 1982 rules, that probably would be true, but Shaq didn't play under 1982 rules.

3.  I don't understand why the Rockets don't run Harden/Capella picking and roll closer to the basket some times.  If they moved closer, I think would it actually increase the effectiveness of Capella and the other shooters. (The lob over the top to Capella would be more effective, and help defenders would have to commit more off the shooters before the pass was made.)  If nothing else, it seems to me giving the defense another look sometimes must have some value.

Edited by PeterMP