Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

26 minutes ago, DM72 said:

You gone really be crying when we start winning titles. ?

Not really. Im not like some of y'all where every time someone else wins, the refs were paid in blood money, the guy with the ball did something nefarious and should be sentenced to death by cannon fire, or the entire arena was somehow rigged and transferred to another dimension during play, to give the other team an unfair advantage.

Doesn't mean I don't enjoy monumental failures. But the league needs a new team or teams of the future. Wouldn't mind at all.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Because Simmons doesnt play like Lebron. You keep trying to force whats not there.

Its not insult to say he plays like Lamar Odom did.

Seriously, how long have you been watching the NBA? A lot of people have made the Simmons/Odom comparison.

He's more comparable to Lebron in that neither have great confidence in a 3 pt shot.  Odom shot 2.2 3 point shots a game his rookie year and made 36% of them.  He came into the league as a good perimeter shooter and that always feed his offense.

Simmons is averaging 0.5 3 points shots a game and hasn't made any (I don't think any of them have been more than end of a quarter heaves so that he hasn't made any isn't surprising).

Lebron shot more 3's his rookie season (2.7 attempts a game), but was still a poor shooter (only making 29%).

Simmons and Lebron's early game are very similar.  Get into the paint force the extra defender and then get the ball to the open man.  If they don't double, then score over whoever is around you.  Don't take the 3 pointer unless you really have no choice.  They are both better ball handlers and passers than Odom.

Odom had a good handle and could get into the paint, but it was always based on forcing you to have to close out because you had to respect his perimeter shot in a way that people don't with Simmons and didn't with Lebron.  Simmons and Lebron get into the paint without a perimeter shot that you have to defend.

If Simmons was 2.2 3PA/game while shooting 36% on them, he'd be an MVP candidate right now.

(That pretty much matches 2011-2012 Lebron.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

I can understand why 76ers fans would dislike the Odom comparisons.  Odom's high water marks for scoring and assists were 17.2 and 5.9.  I wouldn't be surprised if Ben Simmons topped both of those as a rookie.  Sixers fans want greatness not an above average role player.  Based entirely on what we've seen so far though, Odom looks like Simmons floor.  But its still very early in the season, Simmons could falter or end up injured again.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

He's more comparable to Lebron in that neither have great confidence in a 3 pt shot.  Odom shot 2.2 3 point shots a game his rookie year and made 36% of them.  He came into the league as a good perimeter shooter and that always feed his offense.

Simmons is averaging 0.5 3 points shots a game and hasn't made any (I don't think any of them have been more than end of a quarter heaves so that he hasn't made any isn't surprising).

Lebron shot more 3's his rookie season (2.7 attempts a game), but was still a poor shooter (only making 29%).

Simmons and Lebron's early game are very similar.  Get into the paint force the extra defender and then get the ball to the open man.  If they don't double, then score over whoever is around you.  Don't take the 3 pointer unless you really have no choice.  They are both better ball handlers and passers than Odom.

Odom had a good handle and could get into the paint, but it was always based on forcing you to have to close out because you had to respect his perimeter shot in a way that people don't with Simmons and didn't with Lebron.  Simmons and Lebron get into the paint without a perimeter shot that you have to defend.

If Simmons was 2.2 3PA/game while shooting 36% on them, he'd be an MVP candidate right now.

(That pretty much matches 2011-2012 Lebron.)

No idea what 3 point shooting has to do with what the two players are like stylistically.

Odom and Simmons are damn near close together. Simmons and Lebron are not stylistically.

People want it to be that way because Simmons is the most hyped HS player since Lebron. (or was it since Oden? Or Wiggins? or whatever)

Also looking at raw numbers when comparing Simmons and Odom is not what me and others are talking about. Their games are similar. Simmons is more athletic, but Odom had better handles. Odom had a better jumper and could finish at the rim better, while Simmons is much better in the post up.

Saying Simmons reminds me of Odom than Lebron is not an insult at all. Its a compliment because Lamar Odom was a sublime talent.

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

ons is like a rich man's version of Odom

Grant Hill.  Detroit Grant Hill was ?.  Top 5 player in the NBA around 95-97.  Except Simmons is bigger and faster in the open court.  Comparing him to Odom undersells his talent, he is one of the best athletes in the league right now.  He can control games physically in a way that Odom was never strong enough to, and he’s only going to get stronger.  He’s a freak and has the passing gene.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

No idea what 3 point shooting has to do with what the two players are like stylistically.

Odom and Simmons are damn near close together. Simmons and Lebron are not stylistically.

People want it to be that way because Simmons is the most hyped HS player since Lebron. (or was it since Oden? Or Wiggins? or whatever)

Also looking at raw numbers when comparing Simmons and Odom is not what me and others are talking about. Their games are similar. Simmons is more athletic, but Odom had better handles. Odom had a better jumper and could finish at the rim better, while Simmons is much better in the post up.

Saying Simmons reminds me of Odom than Lebron is not an insult at all. Its a compliment because Lamar Odom was a sublime talent.

Odom's style was to score from the perimeter on jump shots and when people closed to aggressively to go by them and into the paint.  His 3 point shot is evidence for that.

Simmons and Lebron's early style are to get into the paint despite the fact that defenders are playing 6 feet off of them, focusing on keeping them and not worried about a jump shot.

The better comparison for Odom is KD.  Odom was a poor man's job KD.  Simmons game is nothing like KD's (and I doubt it ever will).

Just more winning for the C's... really??!?!??!

I love the media who were convinced they weren't contenders when Haywood was still healthy. Nearly every mediot I heard basically said it really didn't matter because they're not true contenders anyway....really??!!?!?!

I could only imagine this team with him. Kyrie is seriously on another level and Hereford has become twice as valuable playing with him. Their bench is insanely good

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Otto Porter is 6’10.  I’d bet money that Simmons is a 7 footer

Reminds me, LeBron is listed at 6’8 but yesterday when he got into it with Kanter he looked an inch of 2 shorter. 

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

Just more winning for the C's... really??!?!??!

I love the media who were convinced they weren't contenders when Haywood was still healthy. Nearly every mediot I heard basically said it really didn't matter because they're not true contenders anyway....really??!!?!?!

I could only imagine this team with him. Kyrie is seriously on another level and Hereford has become twice as valuable playing with him. Their bench is insanely good

Celtics get their ass whipped on Thursday. 

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Grant Hill.  Detroit Grant Hill was ?.  Top 5 player in the NBA around 95-97.  Except Simmons is bigger and faster in the open court.  Comparing him to Odom undersells his talent, he is one of the best athletes in the league right now.  He can control games physically in a way that Odom was never strong enough to, and he’s only going to get stronger.  He’s a freak and has the passing gene.

Ben Simmons aint like Grant Hill either.

Biggest difference is that Grant was so powerful at the rim while Simmons aint there yet. Grant Hill was also a much better athlete than Simmons.

Also, there is no Rasheed Wallace,Chris Webber, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, or even Karl Malone in this version of the NBA so saying Odom couldnt control games physically like Simmons does today is weird because they literally were not asked to do the same things on the court.

I don't understand why you guys do not want to think young Lamar Odom is a good comparison to Simmons. Some of you maybe didn't watch young Lamar Odom or think the Lakers version of him is all there was. This guy would have been a main talent in this current NBA.

You’re underestimating Simmons’s power and athleticism.  That kid is a beast.  He is a much stronger and more athletic player than Odom was.  He’s a much bigger talent and he’s going to be a far better NBA player.  The kid is going to be a perennial All Star.

Grant Hill was a full grown man when he came into the league.  Simmons was a slender kid.  But he’s already bigger than Hill was and he’s still several years away from getting his man strength.  He’s going to end up being the most physical and overpowering small forward in the league when he hits his mid 20s.

We’re four years away from Philly just beating people up in the lane. They are ridiculously big and physical.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You’re underestimating Simmons’s power and athleticism.

No I am not.

But you are saying that Odom wasnt able to physically impose himself against real PFs in the PF era of the NBA, while Simmons is doing his thing in the stretch 4 era. Simmons is 20 lbs bigger than Odom, while more athletic. I just want you to consider that statement with some context.

He’s a much bigger talent and he’s going to be a far better NBA player.  The kid is going to be a perennial All Star.

I think Simmons is a bigger talent than Odom, but that wasnt my point. My point is that they stylistically have similar games.

Also, a lot of people thought Lamar Odom would be a perennial All Star in 1999 as well.

Grant Hill was a full grown man when he came into the league.  Simmons was a slender kid.

I didn't make the Grant Hill comparison. You did.

Even then, Grant Hill was a better finisher his freshman year at Duke than Simmons at LSU. And Hill was more athletic than Simmons.

16 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

i don't think anybody is saying Simmons won't be much better than Odom, i think its more like Odom could have been Simmons is what Odom could have been if he maximized his talent, and had a better timing for his skillset

Exactly.

I don't think people remember what a young Lamar Odom was supposed to be. He would have thrived in this era.

But that doesn't mean that Simmons isnt a better talent than Odom.

Just that Simmons mirrors Odom's game more than Lebron's game.

7 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Odom was a very damn good player. 

He was the Scottie Pippen of the time...if not better. 

Two players that did not play alike.

Odom had better handles than Pippen and had a better jump shot. Also a better passer.

Pippen was obvs one of the best perimeter defenders ever while Odom wasn't, even though he was a damn good defender.

5 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Wow....you just took this to a new level. Pippen was an insanely great defender; Odom was not.

Odom was not Pippen. That is not what I said. 

He was that guy that could handle the rock well from his size and explosive potential. 

That is why comparisons are made to Magic and LeBron for Simmons. 

Odom could dominate at times. Watch the games. Stat lines don't always tell the story. 

Odom was a beast. 

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Two players that did not play alike.

Odom had better handles than Pippen and had a better jump shot. Also a better passer.

Pippen was obvs one of the best perimeter defenders ever while Odom wasn't, even though he was a damn good defender.

I only throw shade on Pippen because he was elected to the top 50 of all time 20 years or so ago ( or greatest). 

He was a damn good player. He was not as fluid typically as Odom was...when Odom was on his game. 

Pip had the length to defend primarily smaller guards...My thought was so ? He should. 

Lamar played the 5 and 4 plenty of times as a pro. Not so much for Pip.