Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/11163634/miami-heat-eye-kyle-lowry-pay-chris-bosh-dwyane-wade-less

So LeBron wants a max(On top of being the king of endorsements/investment), and he wants his boys to take a MASSIVE pay cut while getting a kid in his prime to take less than market value to play with them.

I never really thought it until now, but LeBron James is kind of a dick.

Can't the Heat give them all max deals and still sign reasonable FAs if they are willing to pay the tax?

Bird rights apply to all of them.

So him saying he wants a max deal isn't really an indication that he wants them to play for less.

That's up to how much the Heat are willing to pay in terms of the tax.

Right?

Though there is no way Wade is getting a full contract max deal.

Bosh probably can.

Edited by PeterMP

Can't the Heat give them all max deals and still sign reasonable FAs if they are willing to pay the tax?

Bird rights apply to all of them.

So him saying he wants a max deal isn't really an indication that he wants them to play for less.

That's up to how much the Heat are willing to pay in terms of the tax.

Right?

Though there is no way Wade is getting a full contract max deal.

Bosh probably can.

No, the Heat wouldn't have cap space to sign anyone else if they used Bird Rights to sign the Big 3 to max deals because of their cap holds. I'm pretty sure that in order to get rid of the cap hold on those three players and free up money to sign other players, they'd have to renounce their Bird Rights. Which would make it impossible for them to go over the cap to sign them back.

Also Miami will trigger the repeater tax if they spend over the tax line this offseason. That's something they will want to avoid.

Miami's only way to cap space greater than full MLE money was to get at least two of the big 3 to walk a way from an enormous amount of guaranteed money in the next two years, and it looks like that's exactly what they got Wade and Bosh to do. Also getting Haslem to opt out was big. Miami obviously did some tampering to get all four of those players to opt out and have Wade/Bosh/Haslem all take favorable deals for the team.

Haslem opting out was almost as important for Miami as Wade. Zach Lowe is reporting that they are going to have about $12 million worth of cap space when this is all said and done. That's enough to squeeze one mid-level FA onto the roster and then do their normal thing of signing a bunch of vets to the minimum. If Haslem was still locked into $4 million, that pretty much becomes impossible.

Jalen Rose always talks about The Miami Mafia, and I'm beginning to see this. Wade and Haslem have almost certainly been told they will "be taken care of" far down the road.

It is "Hayward", guys.

And he's a baller. He will get his money somewhere.

I wasn't expecting that place to be Cleveland though

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11168158/cleveland-cavaliers-prepare-maximum-offer-sheet-gordon-hayward-utah-jazz

Still think Utah matches, but good on Hayward. If he can become a more consistent scorer he can live up to a max. Few people in the league fill up the stat sheet the way he can.

Edited by EvilMonkeyBoy

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11168158/cleveland-cavaliers-prepare-maximum-offer-sheet-gordon-hayward-utah-jazz

Still think Utah matches, but good on Heyward. If he can become a more consistent scorer he can live up to a max. Few people in the league fill up the stat sheet the way he can.

I can see a trade here. I don't think Utah wants Hayward at a max contract, but I also don't think they want him to walk away for nothing. Cleveland has a lot of trade chips and is clearly trying to get into "win now" mode.

If I have Irving, Wiggins, and Hayward, I have no little need for Bennett or Waiters. And frankly, I want no part of developing those dudes or having their issues around me.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother
  • Like 1

So, am I the only one who is completely baffled by the Celtics off-season so far? It seems like the media loves every move they make, but I just don't see it...

Marcus Smart seems like a bust. Is a SG? Because he can't shoot. Is he a PG? Because he doesn't have ball skills. I am just confused why everyone thinks he will be a star in Boston. 

James Young is interesting. I like him more than Marcus Smart, but I am not sure he is a star. Seems like he could develop in 2-3 years into a solid rotation guy. 

Now they paid 32 million for Avery Bradley who has had 3 surgeries in the last few years. 

Most likely they will be trading Rondo...

I am failing to see how this has been such a magical off-season like so many Celtics fans have been telling me.

Can someone help me?

Edited by Duckus

Still think Utah matches, but good on Hayward. If he can become a more consistent scorer he can live up to a max. Few people in the league fill up the stat sheet the way he can.

I don't like to see max money going to below average defenders. I don't see the Cavs as a good place for him, either. This move makes no sense to me. How many young scorers that aren't known for being very good defensively should a team really want anyway? Offense can win games but team that are bad defensively get tend to destroyed in the playoffs. Edited by Destino

God he makes me sick. He's like a Skip Bayless who hasn't evolved into self-awareness yet

God he makes me sick. He's like a Skip Bayless who hasn't evolved into self-awareness yet

I can tolerate him to a point. When he was Just an online columnist and when he does the grantland YouTube vids with jalen Rose, I love him. Now he's too much. He's everywhere and the unabashed homerism is nauseating Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Enough with all of this stupid Charlotte talk.  Let's talk about MY team heheh

I'm very happy with the Warrior's signing of Shaun Livingston.   He is exactly what we needed, especially if we are dealing Klay Thompson to the Wolves as part of a K Love deal (I haven't given up hope yet).  Good defender against multiple positions, smart, long, can play some point and run the offense when Curry is out, can post up and pass out of the post to the GSW shooters.   Not a superstar, but I like the fit.  

Edited by Predicto
  • Like 2

Yeah I don't get it. A team destined to be knocked out of the first round every year. But apparently the new name and colors will give them superpowers I guess.

It's nice to get your team name back.  You have no idea what it's like losing a franchise, unless you were alive and watching the Senators play back in 1971.  It sucks ass, fans were robbed of a team that was on the rise only to watch a ****ty owner move them to another city.

You can say well you got a team back two years later, what's the big deal?  When we got the Bobcats, it never felt right.  It was starting over with an owner that did not want to put any money into the product and didn't care about the fans.  One who tried to force fans to go to the games or subscribe to his channel on TWC.  

We have only been around since 2004, I don't think its fair to judge the newest expansion team and claim they are the most irrelevant team in the NBA when they only have 10 years under their belts.

So, am I the only one who is completely baffled by the Celtics off-season so far? It seems like the media loves every move they make, but I just don't see it...

Marcus Smart seems like a bust. Is a SG? Because he can't shoot. Is he a PG? Because he doesn't have ball skills. I am just confused why everyone thinks he will be a star in Boston. 

James Young is interesting. I like him more than Marcus Smart, but I am not sure he is a star. Seems like he could develop in 2-3 years into a solid rotation guy. 

Now they paid 32 million for Avery Bradley who has had 3 surgeries in the last few years. 

Most likely they will be trading Rondo...

I am failing to see how this has been such a magical off-season like so many Celtics fans have been telling me.

Can someone help me?

Smart is the one player in that entire class that I totally believe will be a franchise player and not a bust.

Smart's a PG but he's of a different breed than most PGs. He's like a slower DWade, only even more rugged and more of a pass oriented player. Maybe a James Harden if Harden were an explosive vertical athlete that played elite defense rather than awful defense.

But mainly he's just got a franchise player aura. He's a leader that is super aggressive and asserts himself as the most dominant player on the court in every game. The first two Kansas games were really telling. It was pretty palpable how much better and more assertive he was than Wiggins. If he gets to start in Boston, I think he wins ROTY.

Smart isn't a good shooter, but that's the one thing that does actually come in time. He'll never be a knockdown shooter but he can be a good streak shooter in a couple years. Good enough when the intangibles, leadership, playmaking, defense, rebounding, and slashing are all so good.

They do need to move Rondo, but the writing has been on the wall for a Rondo move for two or three years. He should have good trade value.

I don't know how much of a factor James Young will be any time soon. Great athlete but totally raw.

But the reason to get excited about Boston's future is that Brad Stevens and Marcus Smart and Jared Sullinger are an impressive young foundation. That's the culture I want for my team. Those guys fit together so well. They are going to be the biggest bullies in the league in a couple seasons, and one of the best coached teams.

Its simple. We are jealous that they got their name back almost immediately, and we are stuck with wizards. Its not fair i tells ya.

It has to be that right ? That is the only thing I could come up with also.

haha.

Wizards need depth, that's it. Everything else would just be butter at this point. Hornets are on the same page except they need a wing shooter or two.

Wizards need depth, that's it. Everything else would just be butter at this point. Hornets are on the same page except they need a wing shooter or two.

And time. Beal needs to get into the middle/prime of his career and with luck he'll develop into an allstar SG that puts up ~24ppg. He's shown that he's able to have big nights and he stepped his game up in the playoffs. Wall is entering his second year of actually shooting the ball so there is hope he'll improve there. If that all happens, which is certainly not guaranteed, the Wizards have a two star team with pretty good role players. You can do something with that.

Depth is always an issue with Grunfeld making bad decisions and bad draft picks. Once we over pay Ariza I'm scared to think of what the bench will look like.

Enough with all of this stupid Charlotte talk.

I'm very happy with the Warrior's signing of Shaun Livingston. He is exactly what we needed, especially if we are dealing Klay Thompson to the Wolves as part of a K Love deal (I haven't given up hope yet). Good defender against multiple positions, smart, long, can play some point and run the offense when Curry is out, can post up and pass out of the post to the GSW shooters. Not a superstar, but I like the fit.

I like the idea of Love with GS but hate that team losing Klay. He's a terrific player on both sides of the floor and he could turn out to be a damn good player himself.

Edited by Destino

Beal seems to have the drive and work ethic to be successful...this upcoming season. I wouldn't discount that at all.

I don't know that he will need that much more time.

Wall is developing his game as well, just not as rapidly from what I have seen from Beal.

Its simple. We are jealous that they got their name back almost immediately, and we are stuck with wizards. Its not fair i tells ya.

That's exactly what it is.

The Jazz have the fifth highest franchise winning percentage in the league. Since 83-84, they've only missed the playoffs six times. They're one of the best franchises in the league.

The Pelicans were relevant when they were in Charlotte and during the Chris Paul era after they moved to New Orleans. And they're going to be relevant again now that they've got Anthony Davis. They're a quality franchise.

t.

I was talking about irrelevant teams 'now'.

Yeah I don't get it. A team destined to be knocked out of the first round every year..

"Washington hasn’t made it past the second round since 1979. This isn’t an organization that can rely on history to guide it." Edited by Bubble Screen

I heard they were going got make a run at Gasol

Sounds like there are quite a few teams after him. I think a problem the Heat are having with the top FAs is obviously the Heat can't offer them as much as other teams without really hurting themselves. So if a player like Gasol has a few contenders after him, why sign with the Heat for less money when you still have just as good of a shot with say OKC for a little more money?