Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Quick question. I am the first to admit that I don't watch much Wizards basketball. I'm a fan, but I live in California. How is Wittman a bad coach? The team is winning. What has he done badly the past two games?

I'm not arguing for him or against him. Just want to know what people think. What does he do badly as a coach?

Dammit that was meant for the Wizards thread. Oh well I'm too lazy to move it. I'm on my phone and have slept like 3 hours tonight.

Also, the Raptors play zero defense so it's not clear whether it's Wittman or the Raptors thus far lol
  • Like 3

Quick question. I am the first to admit that I don't watch much Wizards basketball. I'm a fan, but I live in California. How is Wittman a bad coach? The team is winning. What has he done badly the past two games?

I'm not arguing for him or against him. Just want to know what people think. What does he do badly as a coach?

Dammit that was meant for the Wizards thread. Oh well I'm too lazy to move it. I'm on my phone and have slept like 3 hours tonight.

His offense is stuck in 1987 in that he seems to think that a 17 foot two pointer is a better shot than a 22 foot three pointer, because - hey - five feet!

I actually don't think he's THAT horrible, but I definitely think he's the guy that gets you from mediocre to okay and then the next dude takes you to the Finals. I think Wizards fans frustration is that they know that if Randy gets to the second round, Ted Leonsis will treat him like a Coach for Life.

• Like 4

Randy had no answers when things fell apart in February.  That was an unacceptable stretch and he was the biggest problem.  The offense became a mess and the team stopped playing together despite the fact it's a roster full of true pros.  And Randy's ONLY solution was "try harder on defense."  He stopped even addressing questions and criticism about his offense.

He's also done a poor job developing his young talent.  He buried Otto Porter in favor of some pretty shaky vets like Martell Webster and Rasual Butler.  We're just now finding out how good the kid is in the playoffs?  Why wasn't he playing all season long?  A team like the Warriors or Rockets would have been playing him big minutes since day one.  Randy also has a bad habit of taking young players and changing their primary positions too.  He was playing Otto at SG way too much despite the fact the kid is a tall 6'9 and an inside player and doesn't have a consistent outside shot.  And he changed Chris Singleton to a PF/C and Vesely to a C despite the fact both were drafted as SFs and the result was they got run out of town on a rail.

It's taken the extra time that the playoff format gives you plus playing a fixed opponent for him to game plan well and make fairly basic adjustments that Wizards fans have been calling for all season long.  Playing Pierce at PF and giving Otto run for example.  These things have worked well, and it isn't until now.

Wittman is a regular season under achiever.  This team should have won 6-8 more games in the regular season and gotten the two seed.  That's where they were sitting in the standings before the February collapse.  And then we could have avoided Atlanta and actually gotten home court in the first two rounds.  I'm afraid this is going to be the case with him every year he's here too.  We want a coach that can get us to overachieve like Atlanta's.

He's a poor coach, but separates himself from the worst coaches by getting the team to play for him.  They have never really even come close to quitting on him despite the fact we went 5-28 to start in '12-'13 and had a disastrous stretch in late January, February, and early March this season.  Those are the kinds of sequences where most bad coaches lose their locker room and get fired.

Mark Cuban looks dumb for saying Houston isn't a good team and that they put a bunch of crap around James Harden.  Houston is a good team with an excellent starting five and a lot of good role players on the bench.  Especially young ones.  They're probably the fourth best team in the conference, but they'll be tough for any of the top three teams to handle.

So you guys think the Wiz have the sweep on deck?

We'll probably drop one at home, but I hope we get the sweep.  Playing in their arena can be intimidating.  Kyle Lowry isn't right and has been beyond terrible this series.  Committing stupid fouls left and right.  Been outplayed by his back up.  If we don't win in four, we'll win in five.

Quick question. I am the first to admit that I don't watch much Wizards basketball. I'm a fan, but I live in California. How is Wittman a bad coach? 

Remember Mark Jackson's primitive 1990's offense for the Warriors?

Notice what happened when the Warriors got a coach who understands offense in the 2015 style?    

• Like 1

Wonder if Phil Jackson is trying to get out of being Knicks Prez so he can coach OKC haha

If he had been the OKC coach the last 5 years they'd have two titles by now.  At least.  Jordan and Pippen, Shaq and Kobe, Kobe and Gasol... Durant and Westbrook would fit right into the Jackson formula for dominating the league.  Lebron could have ended up shut out like Charles and Malone. 

If he had been the OKC coach the last 5 years they'd have two titles by now.  At least.  Jordan and Pippen, Shaq and Kobe, Kobe and Gasol... Durant and Westbrook would fit right into the Jackson formula for dominating the league.  Lebron could have ended up shut out like Charles and Malone. 

baloney

Agree with ML: Maybe.  But I don't remember hearing anything about an injury at all.

It was on a podcast (honestly forget where) and the guy was talking about the Wiz being a sneaky team in the playoffs since Otto was healthy and the biggest "secret" all season was that he was not.  Talked about it like a hockey injury where they didn't want to disclose it because other teams would target it.

It was on a podcast (honestly forget where) and the guy was talking about the Wiz being a sneaky team in the playoffs since Otto was healthy and the biggest "secret" all season was that he was not.  Talked about it like a hockey injury where they didn't want to disclose it because other teams would target it.

I don't know if I believe that.  He never looked unhealthy and I think it'd be pretty hard to hide any injury.  And I also wouldn't put any credence in someone predicting the Wizards could be anything based on Otto Porter going into this series.  Injury or not, he was an unknown.  It wasn't even clear he'd be a part of the rotation.

I did think it was funny when the Raptors hype man went off last year and again this year with Paul Pierce. I don't like Pierce, but seriously, you're the Raptors. The ****ing Raptors. They would get a banner just for making it to the second round. I'm glad they got embarrassed.

• Like 1

That fanbase's complex about Pierce is so much fun in an uncomfortable sort of way.  Every time they go off into their "Paul Pierce sucks" chant I cringe.  And then he just breaks their hearts every single time he drains a three or pump fakes a defender into a bad foul.  And then his troll face at the end of a demoralizing win is priceless.  Witnessing it happen is purest form of basketball schadenfreude.

470253920.0.0.jpg

Even though he's only going to be here for two years, at the end of his career, Pierce is going to go down as one of my All Time Favorite Wizards.

• Like 2

I don't know if I believe that.  He never looked unhealthy and I think it'd be pretty hard to hide any injury.  And I also wouldn't put any credence in someone predicting the Wizards could be anything based on Otto Porter going into this series.  Injury or not, he was an unknown.  It wasn't even clear he'd be a part of the rotation.

Agreed, unless it was ribs or a shoulder that changed his shot which I guess you could hide somewhat.

I think his point was more that now he was 100% it added a player that they were missing and in the East that could be enough to get ahead of the Bulls/Hawks/Toronto/Celtics/Bucs/Nets cluster.  

• Like 1